I feel sorry for American School Students

PneumaticSuicide

Apr 30, 2011
The reason why i bring this subject up is because i have recently been watching Jamie Oliver's food revolution. I was completely stunned by the reaction of the superintendent (i'm not really sure how important this position is) and how he is allowed to make a universal decision in regard to what children eat.

This just proves to me that the American education system fails at the most basic fundementals.

Please do NOT take this as an attack!!!

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
I agree, and thanks for the sympathy.

But we all find ways to have fun with the overly political and arbitrary system of ours.

I like to be really realistic and down to Earth, that usually throws all of those "stick up ass" school officials off.

SoopaSte123

Jul 1, 2010
There are so many problems in our schools that aren't getting fixed, and they're all usually the result of too much politics. The lunches are just the tip of the iceberg. For example, now in Pennsylvania (where I live), school budgets are being cut, leading to awesome newer teachers being let go while old lazy ones stay. It frustrates me sometimes.

Doctor What

Jul 29, 2008
This is why I've always brought my lunch to school. And this is also why I've always gotten straight A's.

School lunches can suggit.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Yeah it's pretty sickening. We they need more people like Jamie Oliver.

Sep 19, 2008
Just to ask what where they eating? I mean sure if its burgers, chips, pizza etc everyday I can see this being a bad thing, which with Jamie Oliver doing a show about it I should probably just assume it is shouldn't I.

nickd007

Mar 2, 2010
I'm not familiar with the show. Could you describe the decision he made?
I feel sorry for us, too, actually. Just the other day, I was at my high school graduation, and they were giving out several $200 prizes for perfect attendance. It was unsettling to me that the administration was essentially paying kids to show up to school. It seems to enforce the wrong reasons to go to school. It just...bothered me. You know?

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Thanks for the sympathy

On paper this system is flawless, but paper is flimsy, can get wet, and even torn up. That is why there will always be flaws.

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
HankMan said:
You don't watch the Simpsons do you?

BTW You know who has the final say in the content of the majority of school textbooks?
The Texas School Board. I think that says it all right there.
I would like to take this chance to apologize for my former state of residence (and state of birth) for all the bullshit it puts this country through. Between the textbook thing, Governor Goodhair, and the constant Republican "Let's secede from the union!" crap, I'm ashamed to admit that I hail from the place.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
PneumaticSuicide said:
The reason why i bring this subject up is because i have recently been watching Jamie Oliver's food revolution. I was completely stunned by the reaction of the superintendent (i'm not really sure how important this position is) and how he is allowed to make a universal decision in regard to what children eat.

This just proves to me that the American education system fails at the most basic fundementals.

See...maybe you should reword things so it doesn't sound like an attack. This superintendent is only in charge of one school district, not all school districts. So saying you feel bad for American students. So you should really say you feel sorry for these students because of this case. And this is one example and not necessarily indicative of the entire school system across all of America. This one case proves only that school district in question has problems and highlights possible problems that could be nation wide.

Also, I do believe you that you weren't trying to attack, merely showing your out rage and sympathy for the students you saw. But there will be others that will use this as another launch point for an verbal attack on America.

Also lastly, I agree there are problems with the American education system but it isn't the food...well not just the food, sometimes the food was good and healthy. But the problem is underfunding and won't be solved with tv chefs coming in and making a salad.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Fleeker said:
PneumaticSuicide said:

Your an idiot.

If you don't want to be attacked don't do 2 things.

- trash a nations education system (which granted needs to be overhauled)
- don't ask for not to be an attack

I didn't think of this as an attack and I didn't think of you as a lowlife attacking the US education system until you said do not take this as an attack, you actually put that thought in my head.

We don't really need threads that are attack troll threads.
If your post is true about what you feel, you're the one with the problem, not him. Especially since you agree with his view about the school system needing an overhaul. The only person attacking anyone here is you.

Anyways, OP, I have to say... you think the food system is the worst problem? There are only a few MAJOR problems I have with this country, and the school system is one of them. It needs a massive revamp. It sucks. Trust me, food should be the last thing we should be worried about. The kids can eat the way they want at home :p

lostlambda

May 19, 2011
PneumaticSuicide" post="18.288888.11439171 said:

no your right the american education system is full of fail

OliverTwist72

Nov 22, 2010
You do have the option to bring your own lunch. But yea at least at my school they had different options you could eat. One option was always pizza and one was always a chicken sandwich, the other 3 or 4 changed tho.

A superintendent is usually in charge of a school district and they are pretty much the senior administrator for that school district. School districts can vary in size (I believe mine was 6-7 high schools). They are elected by a school board who are elected by the people, so you can say the people put them in charge by proxy.

I'm not sure I probably ate like crap in high school and I still probably do. But I am heavily involved in sports and I go to they gym so I'm still in pretty good shape.

I'm not sure why having a school superintendent make a decision on food policies means the American education system fails tho.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Fleeker said:
Ha ha ha, hypocrisy.

I too am not familiar with the show. But it is the United States: public schools are underfunded; and eating healthier is more expensive, especially when it is done on a mass level.

HiC

Mar 31, 2011
BabyRaptor said:
HankMan said:
You don't watch the Simpsons do you?

BTW You know who has the final say in the content of the majority of school textbooks?
The Texas School Board. I think that says it all right there.
I would like to take this chance to apologize for my former state of residence (and state of birth) for all the bullshit it puts this country through. Between the textbook thing, Governor Goodhair, and the constant Republican "Let's secede from the union!" crap, I'm ashamed to admit that I hail from the place.
that is nothing compared to being from Egypt, especially since im a Christian (y'know like the same as those people who's churches are burning :( )

OT: from what I've seen, yeah you guys have bad education

illmuri

Jan 24, 2011
Our education system is failing us and deserves attack.

I think one major problem is how involved our Federal government gets in the way. They seem to think that they can decree how our education works, and that the same education will work for everyone.

Money is not an issue. Which school district in this country receives the most money per student in this country? Which school district also has the worst test scores in the country? Its Washington D.C., managed by Congress. They cant fix their own district, but tell us we cant leave any children behind...

PneumaticSuicide

Apr 30, 2011
Fleeker said:
PneumaticSuicide said:

Your an idiot.

If you don't want to be attacked don't do 2 things.

- trash a nations education system (which granted needs to be overhauled)
- don't ask for not to be an attack

I didn't think of this as an attack and I didn't think of you as a lowlife attacking the US education system until you said do not take this as an attack, you actually put that thought in my head.

Insults aside, i do not take it to heart on what you think of me. I only have this view because this is what (and only) i am subjected to on our television, Having said that from what i have seen from the important peeps in the education system in the US is completely ignorant to the rest of the world