I finally figured out why I refuse to watch... that one show. You know the one. The girly one.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
Well what else to you like? Certain video game series, movies, comic books, TV shows, books? Chances are, most of the things you like has a part of the fandom that is certainly not savory or well liked. Hell, it isn't even a proper example of what the fandom of the whole is like. But that doesn't stop you from liking these things, does it? So why should something like that stop you from watching a show you are interested in? If you're really so worried about what people might think of your interests, well I guess the best thing you can do is act like you like what they like so they don't judge you.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
You don't want to watch or do something because you don't want to be addicted to it?

I understand completely.

CAPTCHA:

RIGHT AWAY LORD INGLIP

Magnalian

Dec 10, 2009
Have to agree with you there. I like the show myself, but that's it. I don't care for bronies, bro-hooves or anything else pony-related.

William Dickbringer

Feb 16, 2010
Jack the Potato said:
Yep. It's a My Little Pony topic. Yep. I realize that by making this topic I am contributing to my own issue with there being too many pony topics. And yep, I realize that many of you have already left this topic with an exasperated "you're not helping" sigh. But I'm on my meager lunch break, so I find myself pressured to put this out here regardless.

Anyway, I admit that Lauren Faust is good at what she does. Powerpuff Girls is and always will be one of my favorite cartoons. I admit that MLP is quite possibly good. I even admit that if I watched it, I might like it. But I won't watch it, ever. And it's all your fault.

I never, EVER, want to be a brony or confused for a brony. I've seen how annoying some bronies can be about MLP, and why so many people hate you guys for those loudmouths. My concern is that I may become that guy and frankly, I don't want to be more annoying than I already am. I kind of like some of these people. The other problem is that even if I DO resist the urge to vomit Fluttershy facts on people, the instant someone knows I watch the show, they'll assume I am a brony and either mock me or, if they are a brony too, turn the whole conversation into a pony one. It's just too much hassle for me to have to deal with for watching one stupid cartoon. It ain't worth it, especially since their are dozens of other great shows to watch with fanbases that aren't exceptionally annoying.

So there you have it. If you agree, then good for you. If you think I'm just making excuses and are giving into peer pressure, then I give you a hearty "Yea, maybe." Either way, I don't really care.
...isn't that like saying I don't watch anime because I don't want to be confused with otakus (or weeabos) or I don't play games because I don't want to confused with gamers I have nothing against what you say but you know you gotta learn to not care what people think like the memes say haters gonna hate and if continue letting stuff like being branded with a fanbase that bothers you you miss out on an experience (whether it gives an experience or not)

StarsintheBlood

Oct 12, 2010
Saw the show, and it's okay. Better than I expected from an MLP thing- thought it'd either be all product placement or too sugary sweet.
But it's nothing spectacular- it's more memetic than it is genuinely spectacular.

I was more anxious about watching the show because of the obnoxious overblown memetic-ness than the actual girliness. The fandom kind of put me off. People make it out to be this big deal and while it's decent, it's not the "bestest thing" since sliced bread. So meh. Don't see the point in fussing either way.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
yeah, i avoid the brony tag because a big percentage of the visible and outspoken community is annoying and/or creepy.
then again once past the surface there a lot of fun people too.
it's kinda like leaping into a cold pool with a very oily surface but once you are through and the oil washes off there is food and drink and air bubbles.

Arkynomicon

Mar 25, 2011
Only current show I refuse to watch is The Walking Dead. Mostly because I frankly find zombie-apocalypses to be one of the most boring and over-saturated genera ever.

Unesh52

May 27, 2010
I've never been made fun of for liking the show, but I wouldn't let it get me down if I was. Part of the reason that I include myself in the "brony culture" is because I believe that society in general imposes a lot of rules and expectations about the "proper" way to behave, and I think that those things are not only arbitrary, but limiting to the self. Again, it's only a small part of the reason, but by calling myself a brony and being frank and unabashed about enjoying the show, I feel like I'm contributing, at least in some small way, to a social paradigm shift where people are not made to define themselves by their age, sex, or any other demographic they are party to. So the fact that people would want to make fun of me for it would only strengthen my resolve to not hide my fandom.

That being said, people who only talk about ponies (or only talk about one thing in general) are really annoying, as are people who go out of their way to interject their topic of choice into the conversation. But I have my pony figures out on my desk, and I don't move them just because friends are coming over.

GeneWard

Feb 23, 2011
Yeah, I really like the show and WOULD consider myself a brony as I own a tshirt, but that doesn't mean all I talk about is the show, or that I try to "convert" anyone else. That's just being a total asshat. The closest thing I have done to converting someone is telling my friends that it is awesome, in response to "why?"

Anthony Wells

May 28, 2011
Jack the Potato said:
Yep. It's a My Little Pony topic. Yep. I realize that by making this topic I am contributing to my own issue with there being too many pony topics. And yep, I realize that many of you have already left this topic with an exasperated "you're not helping" sigh. But I'm on my meager lunch break, so I find myself pressured to put this out here regardless.

Anyway, I admit that Lauren Faust is good at what she does. Powerpuff Girls is and always will be one of my favorite cartoons. I admit that MLP is quite possibly good. I even admit that if I watched it, I might like it. But I won't watch it, ever. And it's all your fault.

I never, EVER, want to be a brony or confused for a brony. I've seen how annoying some bronies can be about MLP, and why so many people hate you guys for those loudmouths. My concern is that I may become that guy and frankly, I don't want to be more annoying than I already am. I kind of like some of these people. The other problem is that even if I DO resist the urge to vomit Fluttershy facts on people, the instant someone knows I watch the show, they'll assume I am a brony and either mock me or, if they are a brony too, turn the whole conversation into a pony one. It's just too much hassle for me to have to deal with for watching one stupid cartoon. It ain't worth it, especially since their are dozens of other great shows to watch with fanbases that aren't exceptionally annoying.

So there you have it. If you agree, then good for you. If you think I'm just making excuses and are giving into peer pressure, then I give you a hearty "Yea, maybe." Either way, I don't really care.

hey man...hint hint...the people you see that are bronies are the minority of us. i dont ever talk about my little pony unless its in a response to a thread about them. and beside what should you car what people you have never met and in all likelyhood never will meet..say about you? i dont. but whatever...its a great show. you could watch it and never speak about it like me. but whatever you want to do is up to you. im just saying you are missing out and i wont think less of you for not seeing it but will think highly of you if you do yourself a treat and watch it

BonGookKumBop

Feb 24, 2010
So I don't watch TV anymore, so I've missed the resurgence of My Little Ponies and have been wondering why it has gotten so much attention. Back when I was a kid, My Little Pony was basically for girls that wanted a pony (see the order of the stick comic #140, aptly named "my little pony"). I remember that my sister liked the show and there was a movie with a song about smooze, but I digress.

I guess the biggest reason for me to ask about the show is because it seems that many adults are into it. If the draw for the show is anything like it was three decades ago, then why don't the adults that like the show go and interact with actual horses? My wife expressed an interest in taking riding lessons a few years ago and now we own a horse and participate in two different equestrian sports, vaulting (possibly the funnest sport around) and dressage. We spend less on our equine friends than we do on our car payment. Is there a draw for the show besides "I like horses"?

Keepeas

Jul 10, 2011
Jack the Potato said:

You can watch the show without being a brony.
You can only be a brony if you want to be.
You are welcomed to the herd; it's your choice if you want to be a part of it.

It's just a show. It doesn't make you more or less annoying.
I was curious about all the hype so I tried the show.
After a few episodes I liked it and then I grew to love the show.

As for being ridiculed...people will only know if you let them
...and thus only my immediate family knows and they accept it (now my sister watches it too =)

It you like Faust's previous work, The Powerpuff Girls, as much as you say you do then you really are missing out.
MLP:FiM is a great show.
Don't let something like a fanbase or popular opinion or a stereotype keep you from doing anything.

DPeteD

May 29, 2011
Abandon4093 said:
lunncal said:
Abandon4093 said:
lunncal said:
Really? Oh, that's fair enough then. I assume he doesn't like anything ever in the history of the universe, since you know, if you like something you might end up being an annoying fan.

No wait, that's just retarded. Care to explain again? I still don't get the issue at all.
He's worried that if he watches it he'll end up ridiculously over enamored by it like the loud minority of the brony community.

~Eees no complicate!
That minority that you're talking about are annoying because they are loud, not because they like the show. They would be equally annoying no matter what it is that they liked, and I'd bet a lot of money that they were annoying before they started watching it too. It's not like a bunch of quiet, reserved people chose to watch the cartoon one day and were suddenly transformed into annoying internet trolls.

Is that really what he's afraid of?
No, come on. You have to admit people have been swept up in the stupid craze. Identifying as a brony is more of a metameme than anything else. People who've never participated in anything like that have probably been absorbed into it.

What he's worried about is being swept up in that craze too. Because to people who don't watch the show, it's just annoying when people quote it for no apparent reason or post an but load of images in threads. It just gets tedious.
Whats wrong with getting swept up in it all? (= and could you give me any real examples of people posting these so called an buttload of images outside of the less... reputable parts of the internet I may enjoy these.

RastaBadger

Jun 5, 2010
I'm a brony and I find that the whole brony community is similar to other communities in one major way.
It's often a select few that stand out.
A lot of bronies are just normal people who like the show. Not every MLP fan constantly shouts about it just like not every Star Trek fan learns Klingon and wears a pair of Vulcan ears. Similarly not every CoD player is a 13 yr old misogynistic loud mouthed racist but those are the ones you hear about most. Because they stand out from the rest.

gellert1984

Apr 16, 2009
Jack the Potato said:
Well I came on here to make the comment that your so far in the closet your chillin with Aslan, but having read your post I actually agree, for the most part. Personally I couldnt give a shit what people think about the things I watch or do, agree with some bronies being kinda obnoxious though.

Also, Fluttershy is bestest pony.