I hate Anime. Make me like it!

Ninonybox_v1legacy

Apr 2, 2008
if you want something serious

watch Elfen Lied

if you want something light hearted with no plot (literally)

watch Lucky Star.

and as a bonus im going to suggest

Spice and Wolf

Ninonybox_v1legacy

Apr 2, 2008
Drakmeire said:
Elfen lied is a very dark and is fairly grounded in reality
<youtube=9CLiVRPXR98>
this is a very spoiler-heavy scene between two powerful physic creatures with invisible limbs.
hurray....someone suggested it besides me.

i love the anime, glad i got the complete season on DVD today....now i can enjoy it on my tv instead of computer.

ajb924

Jun 3, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Fucking Outlaw Star!

Interesting characters? Check.
Lack of annoying female voices? Check.
Humour that doesn't detract from the story? Check.
Long enough to be keep you entertained but not so long that 50% of episodes are fillers? Check (25 episodes).
Seriously, this is the first 'proper' anime I ever watched (I don't count DBZ). You won't regret it, it doesn't have an angsty, douchebag undercurrent like a lot of newer anime series.
Lack of annoying female voices?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! No. Great show, but dear GOD that cat ***** was annoying. Both in the sub, and the dub...
Anyway, OP, if you're interested in romance I can think of a good few... If you're looking for action that isn't over the top... Well, all the good ones have been mentioned already

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
Danik93 said:
What I like in a series: A good story that is very well written, characters is really important, humor, the setting must be good (I don't care if it's steampunk or Scifi or fantasy, etc) and lastly I want something that makes you think. (Good humor series don't need anything of the tings I have stated. As long as it's funny)
You must watch Clannad and Clannad After Story. Right Now. It's an absolutely hilarious anime, the characters are easy to love and care about, the setting itself is a symbol and a character, and it is the single most touching work of anything I have ever seen. You will cry at some point in the series. You have to watch it.

Thundero13

Mar 19, 2009
Lucky Star, it doesn't have any big over-arching story or big exploding fight sequences just girls at a high school but it's really good & funny and it's only 24 episodes long, it takes a few episodes to really get good though so don't stop after just one episode!

Resonantscythe

Jul 28, 2009
Ghost in the shell is a mature show dealing with politics, the human condition, alludes to international opinions of different matters and deals with the looming issue of what will constitute a human being once we start integrating advanced robotics into people as prostheses. (This is already happening to some extent. blind people are starting to see basic images with brain-connected cameras and new prosthetic arms are also starting to be made to respond to neural impulses. it's just a matter of time before these issues become real)
whether it be the first movie(haven't seen the other two)or the series. Darker than black is a little depressing, but for sensible reasons, and although the action get a little bit much it always keep it from getting to the "that's just too much" point.

Cowboy bebop stays believable but still amazingly cool and deals with a recurring theme of not being able to escape your past.Samurai champloo is another action-y one that stays away from the "that's just ridiculous" stuff and goes for comedy without doing the immature joke-style silly face crap( all the ones I list here except for very very rare, very short examples in darker than black. Only happens in one or two episodes in scenes that can be skipped since they don't add much to the story)

Now this last one is a bit borderline since you said you didn't like deathnote, since it shares the whole inner monologue of a detailed plan thing. Aside from that it's a very character driven show, with (within context) not too crazy action sequences which take a backseat to the conversation, character and plot development anyway.

I noticed while looking back over the thread that these have been mentioned already, so I'll just leave them here for emphasis and add this: The shows you gave as examples for what You did NOT like are categorized as "shonen" shows. That is, aimed at younger kids younger than college age. You'd likely find more luck in looking for shows noted as being "seinen" which aim towards adult audiences which deal with deeper, more mature subject matter. Usually whatever your source for watching these shows will make note of these categories.

koriantor

Nov 9, 2009
Laputa: Castle in the Sky is an old 80's anime film. By far one of my favorites (and one of the best).

It seems more like a story I'd watch as a kid, but it's got some thoughtful undertones. It's a good adventure, wonderful atmosphere.

And hey, the English dub in this one is just fine. You don't have to go watch it in japanese to "fully" enjoy it.

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
Danik93 said:
I really,REALLY dislike anime. but I also see myself as an openminded person, So I'll try to get into it! to help you help m I'll say what I dislike about anime and what I need in a series to like it. the anime series I have tried to watch is:

Neon Genesis Evangelion, Berserk, Full metal alchemist, Naruto, DBZ, Death Note and some other stuff I can' remember!

So, What I dislike about anime is the art style in general(I have started to not hate it so I can watch it), the over the top action scenes (Combat should not be "OMG HE IS THROWING PLANETS AT HIM!!!" it should be fairly "realistic"), the depressing tone of some of them (I want to be entertained not depressed), the girls voices, the girls HH cups, and some other stuff

What I like in a series: A good story that is very well written, characters is really important, humor, the setting must be good (I don't care if it's steampunk or Scifi or fantasy, etc) and lastly I want something that makes you think. (Good humor series don't need anything of the tings I have stated. As long as it's funny)

So, do you accept the challenge?
You didnt like Death Note? Fair enough I guess, its not everyones cup ofo tea. You didnt like Berserk?? Well once again its not for everyone, But how dare you not like Dragonball Z!!!!

:mad:

Um i guess theres probably nothing that will really interest you then unless you dig really deep for one you might enjoy

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
Cowboy bebop it has about 75% fillers but the fillers are interresting enough to keep you entertained it also has a more realistic style then any other anime, the fights are realistic (nobody is throwing planets at eachother or hadokening eachother) and the fights are beatifully choreographed. With the exception of the dag and kid everybody has a interresting story too tell

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
Thundero13 said:
Lucky Star, it doesn't have any big over-arching story or big exploding fight sequences just girls at a high school but it's really good & funny and it's only 24 episodes long, it takes a few episodes to really get good though so don't stop after just one episode!
didnt he mention he hates squeeky voices?

Enigmatic Master

Aug 19, 2010
i try you might like History mightiest disciple Kenichi. it is a fighttype anime but no power level or energy attcks and the character development is pretty good it's fifty episodes and it's on anime season.com

Enigmatic Master

Aug 19, 2010
Enigmatic Master said:
i try you might like History mightiest disciple Kenichi. it is a fighttype anime but no power level or energy attcks and the character development is pretty good it's fifty episodes and it's on anime season.com
Also If your going for realism check out high of the dead or Eyeshield 21. High of the dead is good look at what a zombie apocalipe would be like and Eyeshield 21v is about a high school football coming together and making the playoff. I know it's sounds dumb but it well written and very funny with out taking away from the story.

thedeathscythe

Aug 6, 2010
Cowboy Bebop. If you can watch that series and not like anime (and I mean watch maybe 5 episodes to really give it a chance), then I may have some more suggestions but for sure Cowboy Bebop is a must watch.

Hyderm

Jul 7, 2009
someone probably already thought of this but Gurren Lagann. I didn't like anime myself until a friend recommended it to me and I spent 2 days watching the series (its just 2 seasons). It has a few of the things you don't like about anime in it, however they are more incorporated into the story and feel more plausible in a theoretical physics kinda way. (They do throw planets, but it feels more like it intended to... AWESOME!!)
The only female character with big boobs is Yoko, her bust size is the butt of many a joke within the episodes and doesn't feel to overbearing most of the time. It blends humor with realistic angst, not to over the top in my opinion. Any way just my 2 cents in the situation, hope you like it.

blind_dead_mcjones

Oct 16, 2010
Danik93 said:
i recommend patlabor the movie and patlabor 2 the movie then

both have well thought out plots, character development and interaction, the first patlabor movie has humour, setting is alternate reality more or less feels indentical to contemporary society circa early 2000's but with giant robots used for contruction and demolition roles (glorified cranes and forklifts, but some are designed for law enfocement and military use) both definately makes you think, the second one in particular questioning the nature of scoiety unjust peace vs a just war among other things

bear in mind that both are detective stories so most of the action scenes are regulated to the ends of the films