I Hate Bulma

jamail77

May 21, 2011
Fox12 said:
Casual Shinji said:
Colour Scientist said:
She just cowered in fear and yelled at Krillan and Gohan for a million episodes.
That's nearly every woman in anime.

[snip except for relevant OT: I don't know, I always had more of an aversion to Chi Chi. She was just pissed off all the fucking time. Bulma was at least not a complete ***** on occasion.]
Yeah, chie chie was roughly 10^10 times worse. It wasn't really funny, and instead hurt the characters. I thought Bulma was okay... most of the time.

Master Roshi was the character who I hated the most. Honestly, what purpose did he serve after, like, one season?

Videl was cool though. She always kicked ass.
I didn't care much for Bulma for the same reason Colour Scientist (What's up with your username by the way? Does that mean anything? Though, I shouldn't talk considering my username is probably the stupidest on the entire site), but I agree with Shinji. She was alright. Chi Chi was the real annoying one, always angry and always irrational just so there could be comedy in the show. It wasn't even funny when she told Gohan school was more important than trying to fight off a threat to the entire world or criticized Goku for being who he is (Why did you marry him if he's so terrible for being a musclehead instead of an educated guy?!?)! It was just stupid! I don't get how that's still a trope in anime. Who possibly finds that type of humor funny? It's not clever, it contributes nothing, and just makes the character look stupider than they already are. Nonetheless, I didn't hate Chi Chi. She could get on my nerves, but she was tolerable regardless.

Fox12: What was wrong with Master Roshi? He contributed wisdom and is the reason Goku knows the Kamehameha, which as we know is a move so useful Goku has gotten out of plenty of situations with it in the original Dragon Ball let alone DBZ. His perverted nature wasn't all that funny, but it still isn't as stupid as what Chi Chi would do all the time. His house was also used to hide Goku from the androids. Roshi still remained relevant in DBZ if you ask me. Besides, I always felt bad that he went from being the strongest in the world to an obscurity. Maybe that pity is clouding my judgement though.

Videl was awesome. I honestly think she had the potential to be the strongest human on the planet. She might have even reached low Z fighter status. She picked up energy control remarkably fast considering she wasn't introduced at a young age and wasn't aware it was even a thing. She was clearly stronger and more skilled than Hercule anyway.

lord canti

May 30, 2009
You mean the only normal human on the planet was being a coward while surrounded by beings that can blow up a planet?

Jessta

Feb 8, 2011
Re watching the regular dragon ball episodes and she's kind of a terrible person there to. She gets introduced by hitting Goku with a car, then she gets out and SEES she hit a little kid, who gets up and is all freaked out, so her first response it shoot him in the face multiple times. After that she tricks said kid into acting as her bodyguard long enough for her to steal his dragonball and then ditch him after she's made her wish.
Also the whole romance between her and Yamcha is really built up in Dragonball and he acts super loyaly towards him, but then for next to no reason whatsoever in dragon ballz she dumps him for a guy that killed him and tried to blow up the planet not all that long ago.

Only characters i remember really liking in dragonball are Piccolo, Yajorobie, Master Roshi, android 16, Korin, Goku, both of his dads, future gohan, future trunks, and kami.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Yeah she could be whiny and annoying, but she was also the smartest character on the show so it all kinda balances out.

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
I was always kind of indifferent to Bulma. She just seems very unimportant in DBZ and only seems to have been kept around because she was a main character in Dragonball. DBZ has a lot of inconsequential characters floating around from classic Dragonball.

Rufio's Ghost

Oct 2, 2012
Soviet Heavy said:
Colour Scientist said:
She was really shit on Namek.

Seriously, she was the worst.

She just cowered in fear and yelled at Krillan and Gohan for a million episodes.
She did fight giant crabs with a robot in one of the filler episodes. And DBZ had funny filler.
Whhhaaatt. Come on, she did a very important, if not the MOST important thing on Namek out of all the Z fighters. She was the one who started rooting for the wrong team when she noticed what a hottie Zarbon is AND she took a bubble bath. So useful, and the crab- SO GOOD, almost as good as Mr.Robot.

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100424153815/dragonball/images/1/1b/ZarbonTransformsVsVegetaNV.png

yikes

But one a more serious note (yeah let's get serious about DBZ), I was generally fine with Bulma. She was usually one of the funnier side characters in the show and she was awesome in Battle of Gods. Maybe that's why I've been thinking of her fondly. Drunk Bulma is fun Bulma... and on that note "MY BULMA" (pummels people in thread)

Accel

Aug 18, 2012
Bulma and ChiChi were actually not too bad in the original manga. The anime, like most anime adaptations, just tended to exaggerate their more negative qualities for the sake of comedy and ended up taking it too far so that it actually became annoying.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Bulma (DBZ) is like Tea (Yugi-Oh) is like Misty (Pokemon) is like Kaoru (Rurouni Kenshin) is like every other thousand anime support characters. Stand around, yell at the main character, repeat.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
WoW Bulma gets a lot of stick here.
Guyz, she haz big b00bzz!1!!1! :D

I mean I didn't think she was that bad. I mean in most cases I would've done the same thing as her in many episodes (minus all the screaming, maybe...). I mean yeah I work out and such, but when someone jumps at you who is able to fly and destroy cities (or planets) with some weird lazer shit from their eyes, ears and hands, then it's time to go hide in a cave!

Lupine

Apr 26, 2014
Casual Shinji said:
Colour Scientist said:

Then again, this is a trope most female characters in western shows suffer from as well; The men do something stupid, and the women shake there heads at it. "Ooh, men and their big dumb shenanigans... What ever will we do with them!?"

OT: I don't know, I always had more of an aversion to Chi Chi. She was just pissed off all the fucking time. Bulma was at least not a complete ***** on occasion.
I don't think we're watching the same kinds of anime. lol

Most anime women tend to be action girls. You get a few masterminds, some femme fatales, depending on the genre you can get a lot of airheads also, but running scared usually doesn't happen in the ones I watch though at least in Balma's defense...it makes sense that she would run. I mean she isn't a Z warrior and even the Z warriors were running scared from Frieza. Or are we going to pretend that Krillin wasn't running scared from Debora and almost everyone else stronger up the boss ladder on Namek and he was arguably the strongest in there group at that point. I say arguably because Gohan was pretty unreliable at this point.

Also I feel like I should meet the Chichi hate with the fact that through out the series Chichi just wanted what was best for her sons. Was she a little annoying? Sure. Did she want a better life for her son than fighting the magical psychopath of the week? Yeah.

Everything she did she did because she wanted Gohan to have the normal, successful, and happy life that she and Goku didn't exactly get out of Dragon Ball. And then the Cell Games happened and she obviously had to come to terms with the fact that she couldn't protect her children at all from a big mean world with a grisly smile.

Gohan had to step up, had to fight the monsters, and just like that she was helpless to provide him with stability. I use the fact that she decided to train Goten as proof of that. She finally realized she couldn't protect them and that even Goku couldn't do so...so they had to be able to protect themselves.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
jamail77 said:
Fox12 said:
Casual Shinji said:
Colour Scientist said:

[snip except for relevant OT: I don't know, I always had more of an aversion to Chi Chi. She was just pissed off all the fucking time. Bulma was at least not a complete ***** on occasion.]
Yeah, chie chie was roughly 10^10 times worse. It wasn't really funny, and instead hurt the characters. I thought Bulma was okay... most of the time.

Master Roshi was the character who I hated the most. Honestly, what purpose did he serve after, like, one season?

Videl was cool though. She always kicked ass.
I didn't care much for Bulma for the same reason Colour Scientist (What's up with your username by the way? Does that mean anything? Though, I shouldn't talk considering my username is probably the stupidest on the entire site), but I agree with Shinji. She was alright. Chi Chi was the real annoying one, always angry and always irrational just so there could be comedy in the show. It wasn't even funny when she told Gohan school was more important than trying to fight off a threat to the entire world or criticized Goku for being who he is (Why did you marry him if he's so terrible for being a musclehead instead of an educated guy?!?)! It was just stupid! I don't get how that's still a trope in anime. Who possibly finds that type of humor funny? It's not clever, it contributes nothing, and just makes the character look stupider than they already are. Nonetheless, I didn't hate Chi Chi. She could get on my nerves, but she was tolerable regardless.

Fox12: What was wrong with Master Roshi? He contributed wisdom and is the reason Goku knows the Kamehameha, which as we know is a move so useful Goku has gotten out of plenty of situations with it in the original Dragon Ball let alone DBZ. His perverted nature wasn't all that funny, but it still isn't as stupid as what Chi Chi would do all the time. His house was also used to hide Goku from the androids. Roshi still remained relevant in DBZ if you ask me. Besides, I always felt bad that he went from being the strongest in the world to an obscurity. Maybe that pity is clouding my judgement though.

Videl was awesome. I honestly think she had the potential to be the strongest human on the planet. She might have even reached low Z fighter status. She picked up energy control remarkably fast considering she wasn't introduced at a young age and wasn't aware it was even a thing. She was clearly stronger and more skilled than Hercule anyway.
I'm not sure whose username you're asking about, so I guess I'll answer just in case. My avatar is based on a character I wrote in a novel. I never tried to get it published, since I wrote it in high school and I wasn't very good back then, but I'm still pretty attached to the characters, so I kept one as my avatar. As for Casual Shinji, I have no idea, but I admit I'm rather curious about that too.

I liked Roshi when he wasn't a perv. I grew up with the edited CN show, so he wasn't quite as bad, but when I saw him in the unedited clips I couldn't stand him. His antics were more then just perverted, they actually crossed the line into disturbing a few times. If they had just made him a wise old man then that would have been fine, but they didn't choose to do that.

But yeah, videl was a more well rounded female character then we'd seen before. She played well off of Gohan, and the emotional connection there was surprisingly believable. It was actually rather hard to watch her fight in the tournament. Heck, she even took on Brolly. Sure it's not canon, and sure she never stood a chance, but damn, you have to admit, that takes moxie.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Bulma's ok. Watched her from the original Dragon ball to Battle of the Gods.

But my favorite "normal" human's always gunna be Agent Mai. I love her design, and her personality. She's talented, but limited.

Yeah, Bulma's hit, and miss, but she's surrounded, and rendered impotent by every last Z fighter, (Even Yajirobe's more useful in a fight!) aside from her intellect which rarely comes into play. That's going to be frustrating, to say the least. Dealing with natural disaster after natural disaster every time there's a fight is taxing on a normal human.
She goes through a lot, and that takes it's toll on a person that can't really lash out in other ways. Being a helpless witness to some of the most powerful fighters in the universe saving the planet will likely screw up most anyone.

On one hand, I'd expect a woman likely on par with Dr. Gero or better in terms of brilliance could make power armor that could let her fight more efficiently. So far what she's done has been laughable, though. then again she'd need the ability to react, and a suit can only do so much.
Then again, she's never been much of a fighter to begin with. Plus this is Dragon ball. Everyone, especially the women tend to get sidelined in favor of the saiyans.. Well the guy saiyans. <.< :p
Chi Chi used t be the world's most powerful woman, but she's been overshadowed by at least 1 human woman (Videl, I'd imagine), and numerous others.
18 more or less retires from fighting despite being able to pummel a super saiyan which is no small feat, though battles quickly force the saiyans to get stronger than they were, so she lags behind, badly.
Videl is basically useless in a major fight.
Pan will likely never go super saiyan coz women just don't (Despite the boys picking it up with comedic speed) which hampers her a lot, though this will likely change with the Xenoverse game for what it's worth.
Bra? She's not going to pick up combat.
Agent Mai? Comedic relief.
I'd say they'd never let the main dudes get whooped by a woman, but it's happened a few times, and pretty much is never spoken of ever again.
You get the idea.
... and I got off track.

Bulma? She does what she can, and copes how she can (being cranky) for better or worse. It's not an easy life for her. It really isn't.

Bulma likely was used to being top of the heap in her world. Brilliant, able to get by on her own (And it was a dangerous world, and she survived on her own so far!), then she meets Goku, and that begins to change really rapidly. That's hard on a person, and acceptance doesn't always come easy.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Kolby Jack said:
Colour Scientist said:

Yea, she sure was shit. Like how she flew the ship that got them there in the first place, or invented the dragon radar that allowed them to stall the villain's plans for so long. I mean, why couldn't she help fight the guys who could crush a normal human like her by blinking? Instead she just spent her time hiding on the advice of Krillin and being upset that the supposedly peaceful planet she volunteered to go to to resurrect their friends was now crawling with galactic-level monsters. And of course offering all of the namekians a place to stay on Earth was definitely a ***** move as well.
Fair point, I just found her really annoying to watch during those episodes.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
She definitely shouldn't have went to Namek. (She's a technical genius, but not very genre savvy.) It just made her the butt of jokes in filler when she could have been helping her dad build Goku's spaceship. But, then we would have her gushing(in nasty ways in DBZA) about that hunk, Zarbon.

At least, she mostly mellowed out after that and went back to being the team's main tech wizard. (Except following them, with her infant son in the car too, when everyone was fighting Dr. Gero was damned stupid.)
Soviet Heavy said:
Colour Scientist said:

She did fight giant crabs with a robot in one of the filler episodes. And DBZ had funny filler.

SonCamKu

Oct 12, 2014
Kolby Jack said:
SonCamKu said:
Kolby Jack said:
Colour Scientist said:

Yea, she sure was shit. Like how she flew the ship that got them there in the first place, or invented the dragon radar that allowed them to stall the villain's plans for so long. I mean, why couldn't she help fight the guys who could crush a normal human like her by blinking? Instead she just spent her time hiding on the advice of Krillin and being upset that the supposedly peaceful planet she volunteered to go to to resurrect their friends was now crawling with galactic-level monsters. And of course offering all of the namekians a place to stay on Earth was definitely a ***** move as well.
Yet you can't ignore the fact that all she did on Namek was cry and blame everything on Krillin and Gohan, almost lost a dragon ball because she wanted to obtain a pearl instead, and they would have never landed on that false planet in the first place if she wasn't so damn stubborn. So I don't really see your point, Bulma's father could easily have replaced her and made all the gadgets.
Those two incidents are both filler that never happened in the manga or Kai. They don't count. Bulma's always been characterized as a spoiled genius, I don't think it's out of character for her to be pissed off at the whole Namek situation going as south as it did. Need I remind you, she also praised Krillin and Gohan for making progress, and she only yelled at them specifically when they left her in the dark on what was going on. Saying she did nothing but whine is just false.
I don't think you understand that I dislike her as a spoiled brat character, and I'm pretty sure the beginning episodes count. I respect your opinion of Bulma, but I have to disagree, she is one of the worst characters in the series. Well, to me at least

BeeGeenie

May 30, 2012
SonCamKu said:
omega 616 said:
Yeah, she is my most hated character. What is the point of her, at all?

My second most hated is Vegeta though, so you might want to take my opinion with a grain of salt 'cos I know how much everybody loves that whiny tool!
Aw man, you cant hate Vegeta! lol hes like the tough, badass guy of the whole show!
Vegeta is one of very few characters in the entire series with any depth at all, because of his complicated relationship with Goku.

I also always thought it was tragic that they never bothered to explore how the hell he and Bulma could have ended up together.
Since actual character development might have been interesting to watch... but no, let's just take turns grunting at each other for a few episodes while Goku powers up, instead. :p

Lupine

Apr 26, 2014
grassgremlin said:
She honestly was a much more interesting character in dragon ball and became extra naggy in DBZ.
To be fair, Z was just the alien special power escalation hour for all intents and purposes.

I love Z, I love Goku and his outlook both on life and his friends and what it means to wield power no just for your own benefit but for the benefit of all around you. I enjoy how he enjoys his life. But all of that doesn't stop things from being pretty shallow in places and things getting bogged down in power levels and special transformations.

Which I think Toriyama sort of agrees with seeing as he has recently been quoted as saying that Goku is going to focus less on SSJ and more on training his base form.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/720091-dragon-ball-z-battle-of-z/69240589