I hate Dark Knight Rises *SPOILERS*

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Lionsfan said:
I don't your scale is off. Just look at the Nuclear Tests that were run in the 60's. Some of those areas took forever to become deradiatized, and since they all saw the bomb from the bridge, I assume it was fairly close. I hope everyone enjoys poisoned drinking water for the next few decades
It was 6 miles. It wasn't a normal nuclear bomb, it was a special device designed by scientific pioneers.

People will seriously ***** about anything. Suspension of disbelief.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I thought the film was very good, with some nice references thrown in and a bit more of the comic book goofiness, like the Batcycle doing crazy jumps to escape the police and the Bat Wing just existing.

There were problems, yes, and some of them were rather crappy, but overall it was a fun ride.

One other thing however.

The Superman: Man of Steel trailer? It sucked. Really, it was just shit, and what the fuck was up with the Lord of the Rings soundtrack playing over it?

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
Lionsfan said:
I don't your scale is off. Just look at the Nuclear Tests that were run in the 60's. Some of those areas took forever to become deradiatized, and since they all saw the bomb from the bridge, I assume it was fairly close. I hope everyone enjoys poisoned drinking water for the next few decades
It was 6 miles. It wasn't a normal nuclear bomb, it was a special device designed by scientific pioneers.

People will seriously ***** about anything. Suspension of disbelief.
I agree here, a lot of the technology OP is complaining about is stuff that doesnt exist, so therefore, we cant really apply our rules to them.

The Heik said:
Ok, before I get this show on the road let me make make 3 things clear:

First there will be some pretty major spoilers about the movie. If you haven't seen it yet and don't want anything ruined:
DO NOT READ THIS

Second, this is still my personal opinion of the movie. If you enjoyed it that is completely and totally fine. Every has their own personal preferences and I do not wish anyone to feel that I have negative feelings for them because their opinions on the film do not coincide with mine

Third, this is going to a pretty long post, so you might want to grab a snack or something if you really want to read it all the way through.

There that's out of the way, lets get started.

Last night I went to the midnight showing of Dark Knight Rises with some of my friends. Now just you give you guys an idea of what kind of person I am, I'm a pretty literal person, so I tend to take things a bit more factually than most, though so long as things stay within their own setting logic I usually have no issue with fantastical things.

Dark Knight Rises though.........is an absolute mess, even within it's own stated canon.

Prior to this movie, I have never willing walked out half way through a movie. In this case though I had to just to get some brief respite from the sheer stupidity that was constantly being thrown in my face before I went back in.

From a technical standpoint, the movie did have some cool things. The gritty feel from the previous movies is still there, and the Bat flight vehicle is a highlight that I admit I'll probably do a lot of digging on to see the actual design of. Unfortunately though, the whole film is rife with time and location disjoints. Scenes swap around with very little connection to where/when they are and what is happening. Three particular highlights of this were:

1)A part where the police are fighting the antagonist forces where a cop fires a pistol in one scene, cuts to the enemy firing, cuts back to him firing an assault rifle he got from nowhere, cuts to the enemy again, then cuts back to him dead with no weapon of any kind in sight, all in the span of something like 15 seconds. It's a cohesive nightmare of direction.

Films do this all the time though, its not like it breaks the story or anything. Granted we should expect more but its not that big of a deal

2) another part is where Batman and Catwoman are going to Bane's "lair" (for lack of a better word), and they take out enemies in what is probably one of the most confusing mook ambushing scenes I've ever seen. They literally come from every angle imaginable, despite the fact that many of those angles are almost impossible. The best example of this was a mook who was walking down a pretty cramped corridor, only to have Catwoman step up behind him, tap his shoulder, point behind him saying something along the lines of "he's behind you" after he turns around. The mook does one last turn and suddenly Batman is one foot away from him hanging from the ceiling. Last time I checked, Batman did not have a teleporter on his utility belt. This kind of stuff is just silly, especially considering how well grounded the previous two movies were in "believable" portrayal of his capabilities.

Have you watched the other two movies? Theres no way that the Batsuit in Begins would let him be that damn stealthy. If you were fine with those then this shouldnt be a problem. Also he dissapears whilst in a bank vault as someone else pointed out. This is not a new thing for Nolan's batman

3)The creme de la creme of these disjoints though is the amount of time passing between some pretty major scenes. When bane does his takover of the city, we cut to Bruce Wayne stuck a prison and something like 83 days have suddenly passed with nearly no indication of it whatsoever. Aside from maybe 30 seconds of a captured batmobile driving over snow, there is absolutely no indication of how much time has passed until the film literally tells you by showing a news feed from television in the prison saying "Day 83", and even that was in some very small and blurry print, so one would not have been remiss if they didn't see that the first time around. This is by no means the only time when this happens, as most of the film skips time like they borrowed the Tardis from the Doctor.

True they could have made more of an attempt to show the passing of time, but nothing that exciting would have been happening.

Disjoints aside, a lot of the action felt very forced and artifically stretched out to increase the tension. Enemy heavy weapons that seconds previously were devastating things suddenly could not hit a target the size of a helicopter not 20 feet away from them, and men armed with assault rifle were losing against cops with a couple of pistols and nightsticks. Even the fights between Bane and Batman was literally a sluggish punch up with no usable amount of flow or dynamic. It felt like I was watching one of those youtube videos of a couple teenagers flailing at each other.

I thought it was really well done, and it was one of my favourite scenes. But this point is really just about opinion

And then of course there is the mother of all bad screenwriting: Contrivance.

The movie has contrivance popping out of every orifice. For one, Bane is portayed at the start as evidently clairvoyant, because despite having only a few hundred men in Gotham, all of which are your average run-of-the-mill fanatic mercenaries, they somehow manage to know exactly where Bruce Wayne's armory is despite it being completely off the record, turn an entire city and its population into his ***** with some high explosive, whilst simultaneously capturing 99% of the police force underground. He manages at every turn to outwit and outmaneuver all the attempts by by anyone against him with a level of precision and strategy that Lord Castellan Creed wouldn't be able to pull off if he were channeling MacGuyver. He seems to literally be everywhere at all times, not helped at all by aforementioned disjointedness of the movie, and it gets downright ridiculous how much this happnes. It's not narratively realistic, it makes a very large chunk of the film redundant, and it generally sets the tone that everyone in the film is a raging idiot, even characters who were previously established as quite clever (though even this of suddenly falls apart right at the final climax in a friggin' lazy bit of writing)

And this is made even more ridiculous by how badly Bane's character was butchered. The general setting of Bane is that he is an assassin-type character who was given great strength by a compound called Venom. Though the constant need for Venom is a major hindrance in some cases, whilst using it he both an intellectual equal to Batman and far more physically capable. In Dark Knight rises however, his character has been boiled down to just a strong guy who needs the mask because of massive damage he suffered as a result of being in the prison. There's no concoction that makes him more capable, and the mask is actually keeping him doped up to the eyes to numb the pain he's in (which most likely could have been fixed at any number of hospitals), and if you've ever heard of [a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congenital_analgia"]Congential Analgia[/a] you'll know is actually a pretty major disadvantage in a combat situation. Ignoring the fact that that amount of drugs in his system would make him more slow that sloth on Nyquil, all that Batman would have needed to do it nick an artery or break a bone and Bane would do the rest for him. He's not even portrayed as that bright at the end, as the real villain of the movie has been the one pulling the planning strings.

Wait.. "For one, Bane is portayed at the start as evidently clairvoyant, because despite having only a few hundred men in Gotham, all of which are your average run-of-the-mill fanatic mercenaries, they somehow manage to know exactly where Bruce Wayne's armory is despite it being completely off the record, turn an entire city and its population into his ***** with some high explosive, whilst simultaneously capturing 99% of the police force underground. He manages at every turn to outwit and outmaneuver all the attempts by by anyone against him with a level of precision and strategy that Lord Castellan Creed wouldn't be able to pull off if he were channeling MacGuyver." then you turn around to say "And this is made even more ridiculous by how badly Bane's character was butchered. The general setting of Bane is that he is an assassin-type character who was given great strength by a compound called Venom. Though the constant need for Venom is a major hindrance in some cases, whilst using it he both an intellectual equal to Batman and far more physically capable. In Dark Knight rises however, his character has been boiled down to just a strong guy who needs the mask because of massive damage he suffered as a result of being in the prison.". You sort of set up Bane as being very smart in that first paragraph i quoted. Also remember he was working with Talia al Ghul, who was incredibly connected.

Also this was an interpretation of Bane. If this movie trilogy was just an exact retelling of the comics with everyone being the same and saying the same things it wouldn't be as exciting. If you didn't like it thats fine, but it doesnt make it a bad adaption of the character

And now we come to Talia Al Ghul, the daughter of Ras Al Ghul and the real villain of the film. The only reason she's the villain is so they could pull of a twist that M Night Shyamalan would "What the hell!" at. Quite literally they make her and Bruce get into a romance (despite not having said 150 between them prior to it, over 75% of which was veiled disdain and philosophical argument) just so she can betray him and reveal herself as the real antagonist with the trigger to the bomb.

The romance came out of nowhere I'll give you that

Oh yes, the bomb. The big reason Talia via Bane could take over the city is because she has the primary trigger to a Wayne Enterprise clean energy Reactor, which is a regular nuclear reactor with a technobabble varnish. And the weird thing is that this is supposed to be some secret new danger. Um Nolan? Hate to break it to you, but nuclear reactors have been around for decades. This concept isn't even anything particularly new to media (especially in the last two decades. we've nuked quite a few things. It's kinda lost it's impact)

And here's the crazy thing: Somehow (don't ask me how I don't know) they managed to turn it into a 4 megaton nuclear bomb with nothing but a bit of coding. THAT'S NOT HOW NUCLEAR REACTORS WORK!!!!!!!! A nuclear bomb requires a very precise detonation sequence in order to explode properly, while the only way nuclear reactors can catastrophically fail is via a total core meltdown, which is a very localized affair (it's why only local Chernobyl was rendered uninhabitable via radiation rather the the entire region). The two simply don't work the same way, and no nuclear engineer would be remotely dumb enough to make a reactor that could blow up like we expect most nukes to (mostly because it would actually require some explosives to do so). And here's another weird fact about it. For some reason the reactor core/bomb has a "time limit" where it will explode after 5 months of being disconnected from the rest of the machine. That wouldn't work. Nuclear reactors go critical if they go a few hours without the necessary cooling system. Quite frankly no part of this idea would work with any semblance of realism, which is something the previous films at least tried to stay within.

This is a completely theoretical technology, so our ideas dont apply so much

But say we assume that they did find a way to do it, then a whole new problem arises from this. In the final climax of the film, Batman uses the Bat flyer to move the bomb out from the city over the bay when there was a minute left on the timer (if I remember rightly) to boomsday. Now the fastest speed that helicopters in this day an age is 200 nautical miles per hour. Even if Batman's vehicle could pull that sort of speed whilst carrying a 4 megaton nuke, he would only reach 3.3 miles, which was not enough not have gotten Gotham free of a 1 megaton bomb's primary blast radius (which is fours miles approximately). And here's the thing, despite the fact that they say in the movie that a four megaton bomb's primary blast radius is 6 miles (Which already is too much for Batman's vehicle to fly in one minute), they're wrong even there. The approximate primary blast radius ends at about 7PSI overpressure, which on a 4 Megaton bomb is actually 7.65 miles. Even at twice the speed of the fastest unladen heli in the world, the Bomb would still have obliterated most of Gotham and killed pretty much everyone in it whether it be by the sheer concussive force of the blast, which would frappe'd all their internal organs, or by the resulting nuclear fallout, which woulds stretch out for another 11 miles or so.

Now you may think I may be nit-picking this final point, but the thing is that all this data on nukes and heli speeds came from about 5 minutes of research via Google and Wikipedia, and yet an entire team of writers with months of time to make the script somehow did not check these details. That is inexcusable. It's simple research people, so do it! The terrible thing is if they had done some basic calculation they could have made it work (4eg make the bomb a 1 megaton, establish the the bat flyer could go supersonic. Very simple stuff really)

This is a valid complaint. I was thinking a similar thing when I saw it, but it wasnt that big of an issue to me. Films constantly disobey the rules of physics. If I were to take serious issue with it then I wouldn't be able to enjoy any film ever, especially action movies

Now there are several more issues that I've had with Dark Knight Rises, but I feel I've laid out enough examples and spent more than enough of the reader's time. From stem to stern this movie was a terrible watch for me. What few interesting scenes and good performances from the actors (one of the few saving graces for the film) might do to mitigate the damage, it's still a shoddy piece of work. It doesn't follow the set-up that the previous films established, the plot was not thought out at all, and there are so many rookie mistakes in trying to up the ante, introduce twists, or even simply establish a clear timeline that I'm frankly disgusted with the whole thing.

It's a contrived, cohesiveness mess of a film, and I honestly regret having paid money for it.

Giftfromme

Nov 3, 2011
The Heik said:
Ok, before I get this show on the road let me make make 3 things clear:

First there will be some pretty major spoilers about the movie. If you haven't seen it yet and don't want anything ruined:
DO NOT READ THIS

Second, this is still my personal opinion of the movie. If you enjoyed it that is completely and totally fine. Every has their own personal preferences and I do not wish anyone to feel that I have negative feelings for them because their opinions on the film do not coincide with mine

Third, this is going to a pretty long post, so you might want to grab a snack or something if you really want to read it all the way through.

There that's out of the way, lets get started.

Last night I went to the midnight showing of Dark Knight Rises with some of my friends. Now just you give you guys an idea of what kind of person I am, I'm a pretty literal person, so I tend to take things a bit more factually than most, though so long as things stay within their own setting logic I usually have no issue with fantastical things.

Dark Knight Rises though.........is an absolute mess, even within it's own stated canon.

Prior to this movie, I have never willing walked out half way through a movie. In this case though I had to just to get some brief respite from the sheer stupidity that was constantly being thrown in my face before I went back in.

From a technical standpoint, the movie did have some cool things. The gritty feel from the previous movies is still there, and the Bat flight vehicle is a highlight that I admit I'll probably do a lot of digging on to see the actual design of. Unfortunately though, the whole film is rife with time and location disjoints. Scenes swap around with very little connection to where/when they are and what is happening. Three particular highlights of this were:

1)A part where the police are fighting the antagonist forces where a cop fires a pistol in one scene, cuts to the enemy firing, cuts back to him firing an assault rifle he got from nowhere, cuts to the enemy again, then cuts back to him dead with no weapon of any kind in sight, all in the span of something like 15 seconds. It's a cohesive nightmare of direction.

2) another part is where Batman and Catwoman are going to Bane's "lair" (for lack of a better word), and they take out enemies in what is probably one of the most confusing mook ambushing scenes I've ever seen. They literally come from every angle imaginable, despite the fact that many of those angles are almost impossible. The best example of this was a mook who was walking down a pretty cramped corridor, only to have Catwoman step up behind him, tap his shoulder, point behind him saying something along the lines of "he's behind you" after he turns around. The mook does one last turn and suddenly Batman is one foot away from him hanging from the ceiling. Last time I checked, Batman did not have a teleporter on his utility belt. This kind of stuff is just silly, especially considering how well grounded the previous two movies were in "believable" portrayal of his capabilities.

3)The creme de la creme of these disjoints though is the amount of time passing between some pretty major scenes. When bane does his takover of the city, we cut to Bruce Wayne stuck a prison and something like 83 days have suddenly passed with nearly no indication of it whatsoever. Aside from maybe 30 seconds of a captured batmobile driving over snow, there is absolutely no indication of how much time has passed until the film literally tells you by showing a news feed from television in the prison saying "Day 83", and even that was in some very small and blurry print, so one would not have been remiss if they didn't see that the first time around. This is by no means the only time when this happens, as most of the film skips time like they borrowed the Tardis from the Doctor.

Disjoints aside, a lot of the action felt very forced and artifically stretched out to increase the tension. Enemy heavy weapons that seconds previously were devastating things suddenly could not hit a target the size of a helicopter not 20 feet away from them, and men armed with assault rifle were losing against cops with a couple of pistols and nightsticks. Even the fights between Bane and Batman was literally a sluggish punch up with no usable amount of flow or dynamic. It felt like I was watching one of those youtube videos of a couple teenagers flailing at each other.

And then of course there is the mother of all bad screenwriting: Contrivance.

The movie has contrivance popping out of every orifice. For one, Bane is portayed at the start as evidently clairvoyant, because despite having only a few hundred men in Gotham, all of which are your average run-of-the-mill fanatic mercenaries, they somehow manage to know exactly where Bruce Wayne's armory is despite it being completely off the record, turn an entire city and its population into his ***** with some high explosive, whilst simultaneously capturing 99% of the police force underground. He manages at every turn to outwit and outmaneuver all the attempts by by anyone against him with a level of precision and strategy that Lord Castellan Creed wouldn't be able to pull off if he were channeling MacGuyver. He seems to literally be everywhere at all times, not helped at all by aforementioned disjointedness of the movie, and it gets downright ridiculous how much this happnes. It's not narratively realistic, it makes a very large chunk of the film redundant, and it generally sets the tone that everyone in the film is a raging idiot, even characters who were previously established as quite clever (though even this of suddenly falls apart right at the final climax in a friggin' lazy bit of writing)

And this is made even more ridiculous by how badly Bane's character was butchered. The general setting of Bane is that he is an assassin-type character who was given great strength by a compound called Venom. Though the constant need for Venom is a major hindrance in some cases, whilst using it he both an intellectual equal to Batman and far more physically capable. In Dark Knight rises however, his character has been boiled down to just a strong guy who needs the mask because of massive damage he suffered as a result of being in the prison. There's no concoction that makes him more capable, and the mask is actually keeping him doped up to the eyes to numb the pain he's in (which most likely could have been fixed at any number of hospitals), and if you've ever heard of [a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congenital_analgia"]Congential Analgia[/a] you'll know is actually a pretty major disadvantage in a combat situation. Ignoring the fact that that amount of drugs in his system would make him more slow that sloth on Nyquil, all that Batman would have needed to do it nick an artery or break a bone and Bane would do the rest for him. He's not even portrayed as that bright at the end, as the real villain of the movie has been the one pulling the planning strings.

And now we come to Talia Al Ghul, the daughter of Ras Al Ghul and the real villain of the film. The only reason she's the villain is so they could pull of a twist that M Night Shyamalan would "What the hell!" at. Quite literally they make her and Bruce get into a romance (despite not having said 150 between them prior to it, over 75% of which was veiled disdain and philosophical argument) just so she can betray him and reveal herself as the real antagonist with the trigger to the bomb.

Oh yes, the bomb. The big reason Talia via Bane could take over the city is because she has the primary trigger to a Wayne Enterprise clean energy Reactor, which is a regular nuclear reactor with a technobabble varnish. And the weird thing is that this is supposed to be some secret new danger. Um Nolan? Hate to break it to you, but nuclear reactors have been around for decades. This concept isn't even anything particularly new to media (especially in the last two decades. we've nuked quite a few things. It's kinda lost it's impact)

And here's the crazy thing: Somehow (don't ask me how I don't know) they managed to turn it into a 4 megaton nuclear bomb with nothing but a bit of coding. THAT'S NOT HOW NUCLEAR REACTORS WORK!!!!!!!! A nuclear bomb requires a very precise detonation sequence in order to explode properly, while the only way nuclear reactors can catastrophically fail is via a total core meltdown, which is a very localized affair (it's why only local Chernobyl was rendered uninhabitable via radiation rather the the entire region). The two simply don't work the same way, and no nuclear engineer would be remotely dumb enough to make a reactor that could blow up like we expect most nukes to (mostly because it would actually require some explosives to do so). And here's another weird fact about it. For some reason the reactor core/bomb has a "time limit" where it will explode after 5 months of being disconnected from the rest of the machine. That wouldn't work. Nuclear reactors go critical if they go a few hours without the necessary cooling system. Quite frankly no part of this idea would work with any semblance of realism, which is something the previous films at least tried to stay within.

But say we assume that they did find a way to do it, then a whole new problem arises from this. In the final climax of the film, Batman uses the Bat flyer to move the bomb out from the city over the bay when there was a minute left on the timer (if I remember rightly) to boomsday. Now the fastest speed that helicopters in this day an age is 200 nautical miles per hour. Even if Batman's vehicle could pull that sort of speed whilst carrying a 4 megaton nuke, he would only reach 3.3 miles, which was not enough not have gotten Gotham free of a 1 megaton bomb's primary blast radius (which is fours miles approximately). And here's the thing, despite the fact that they say in the movie that a four megaton bomb's primary blast radius is 6 miles (Which already is too much for Batman's vehicle to fly in one minute), they're wrong even there. The approximate primary blast radius ends at about 7PSI overpressure, which on a 4 Megaton bomb is actually 7.65 miles. Even at twice the speed of the fastest unladen heli in the world, the Bomb would still have obliterated most of Gotham and killed pretty much everyone in it whether it be by the sheer concussive force of the blast, which would frappe'd all their internal organs, or by the resulting nuclear fallout, which woulds stretch out for another 11 miles or so.

Now you may think I may be nit-picking this final point, but the thing is that all this data on nukes and heli speeds came from about 5 minutes of research via Google and Wikipedia, and yet an entire team of writers with months of time to make the script somehow did not check these details. That is inexcusable. It's simple research people, so do it! The terrible thing is if they had done some basic calculation they could have made it work (4eg make the bomb a 1 megaton, establish the the bat flyer could go supersonic. Very simple stuff really)

Now there are several more issues that I've had with Dark Knight Rises, but I feel I've laid out enough examples and spent more than enough of the reader's time. From stem to stern this movie was a terrible watch for me. What few interesting scenes and good performances from the actors (one of the few saving graces for the film) might do to mitigate the damage, it's still a shoddy piece of work. It doesn't follow the set-up that the previous films established, the plot was not thought out at all, and there are so many rookie mistakes in trying to up the ante, introduce twists, or even simply establish a clear timeline that I'm frankly disgusted with the whole thing.

It's a contrived, cohesiveness mess of a film, and I honestly regret having paid money for it.
It seems someone is sour about their experience, I'd say it sucks to be you, movie was fine for me

Rancid0ffspring

Aug 23, 2009
I honestly didn't read your post beyond your disclaimer. I just wanted to point out one bit of the film that ruined it to the point where I could no longer take anything about it it seriously.

The point where 3000 odd coppers armed with a spattering of guns and clubs charges an army of criminals with fully automatic weapons and tanks, yes TANKS, only to have a handful start dropping at stone throwing distance.

May 5, 2010
Wow, why the hell would you choose to focus on all this when the movie had plenty of REAL problems? I guess I'll get to those later though, because I really want to respond to some of your arguments. You can assume that I agree with any points I don't bring up here.

1. You can't complain that Bane is too smart AND not smart enough at the same time. Not how it works. He knows where the Wayne armory is because he has access to Wayne tower. (I'll admit, however, that it's pretty ridiculous how he knew all the cops would be underground at the same time as the football game, especially when you consider that he would've been preparing for the event long before the COPS knew they would be underground)

2. Batman has ALWAYS had teleportation powers. He has ninja training. He's stealthy. He's been doing it for years. He's fucking Batman. Why are you complaining about it NOW?

3. I honestly don't know what you're talking about with the time-lapse and the take-over of Gotham. I was never confused about the timing, and I didn't even notice the "Day 83" thing. Not like I had an exact mental calender running, but I understood when a lot of time had passed.

4. You're honestly telling me that "Guy fighting through painkillers" is more ridiculous to you then "Guy injects drug and doubles in size"?

5. All your complaints about the reactor not behaving like a nuclear reactor are invalid because despite your statement about "technobabble", the thing still isn't a goddamn nuclear reactor, and you have no idea how it works. Because it DOESN'T ACTUALLY EXIST. Same goes for the maximum speed of the Bat-copter. Maybe it CAN go super-sonic. Anyway, if you're the kind of person who actually has to leave the theater because of average-helicopter speed misrepresentation, maybe you just shouldn't see movies.

That's not to say it was a perfect film. It seems like it has quite a few more characters then it needs, which is bad for a film that clocks in at 3 fucking hours. On a related note, the entire first half of the film plays an assembly line designed to develop plot points, just one after the other, as quickly as possible. And I know you already said it, but yeah: The romance with Talia was quite silly and not needed. Michael Caine barely gets anything to do (though he owns the scenes he's in) and a lot of the plot points are bit clunky, to say the least. (EX: Gordon-Levitt's character just KNOWING Batman's identity after looking at him for five seconds like 10 years ago.) So my opinion? Hardly perfect, and almost definitely the worst of the trilogy, but did I enjoy it? Absolutely. A resounding "Pretty damn good" for me.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
*looks at thread title, skims thread*

Congratulations?

I mean, yeah, good for you.

I think I'm gonna watch it again. After seeing the first 2 films again, of course. Bloody brilliant.

Also, why does nobody ever create threads that begin with "I love *insert movie/game/band/wombat here*"? I think it's just because some people love to accentuate the negative.

Draken Steel

May 15, 2009
A lot of the complaints are fairly reasonable, tho when it comes to the bomb, it was NOT a nuclear bomb as we know it , it was FUSION while our technology is all FISSION. Weather that makes it more accurate or not, no idea, but everything you said applies to fission, which the bomb was not.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
The only thing that confused me was Gotham's bays freezing up. Can someone explain that to me?

Britisheagle

May 21, 2009
Right, first off, I too thought the time jumps were ridiculous but the rest of the things I honestly think you are just over thinking it to the point of taking it too seriously. It's a Batman film, remember.

Honestly yes it's not greatly believable but its a comic book movie there needs to be an element of fiction to make it more engaging and to drive the story.

I will end by saying that I too was disappointed by the "twist". Not for the same reasons as you mind, but because any true bat fan would clearly be onto it as soon as they said that the person who escaped the prison was the child of Ras Al Ghul.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Nouw said:
The only thing that confused me was Gotham's bays freezing up. Can someone explain that to me?
Gotham is an east coast city. Winters can still get pretty cold on the waterfront. And the ice wasn't particularly thick anyways.

Steppin Razor

Dec 15, 2009
Rancid0ffspring said:
The point where 3000 odd coppers armed with a spattering of guns and clubs charges an army of criminals with fully automatic weapons and tanks, yes TANKS, only to have a handful start dropping at stone throwing distance.
Batman disabled the tanks. It was a really, really pathetic scene where he flew up and shot them in an anti-climactic scene of anti-climacticness, but he clearly took them out with the way the cops cheered and then charged in straight afterwards.

Still doesn't explain how the criminals took over the city when they could barely hit thousands of charging cops with machine guns.

On topic
Eh, I enjoyed it. But I tend to turn my brain off when watching films instead of questioning the random movie logic that shows up. If I didn't I'd never be able to enjoy any action film with guns in it where everybody completely sucks at aiming.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
Nouw said:
Gotham is an east coast city. Winters can still get pretty cold on the waterfront. And the ice wasn't particularly thick anyways.
Aaah okay. I don't know much about the weather over there aside from 'it's cold' but even so I never knew it would actually freeze up.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Nouw said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Nouw said:
Aaah okay. I don't know much about the weather over there aside from 'it's cold' but even so I never knew it would actually freeze up.
Winters can be pretty brutal some years. Not this year, but having a bay freeze over isn't uncommon.

Dec 3, 2011
There is a jarring time lapse, the villain is weak, the entire first act needs more development, the film is edited like an action film despite being set up like an epic, we do not get a sense of chaos because the people of Gotham are hardly in the film, there is no narrative momentum for the first half of the film, Batman lacks some of his charisma, the fist-fight sequences are iffy, a few story threads are left hanging (what was with that opening plane sequence?), it uses that annoying "explosions going in one direction" trope, the last minute plot twist could have been handled better, some elements of the storyline are predictable for comic aficionados, the whole thing is in daylight despite a key part of the Batman mythos being night-time, the story-arc is very similar to Batman Begins, in general in covers a lot of the same terrain as Batman Begins, they don't mention The Joker at all for some odd reason, the character of Alfred does nothing but deliver (granted, very effective) speeches, Bane is almost too similar to Darth Vader, the "BUM, BUM, DEE-DEE" soundtrack is repeated too much, it lacks a second-act "punch" to raise the stakes, and the exploration of themes such as anarchy, terrorism, revolution; that which could have elevated the film beyond a super-hero movie, are not explored effectively.

It was a goood movie, but definitely the weakest of the trilogy. I loved Catwoman though, and Joseph-Gordon Levitt is ridiculously hot.

Rancid0ffspring

Aug 23, 2009
Steppin Razor said:
Rancid0ffspring said:
yes TANKS
Batman disabled the tanks.

On topic
Eh, I enjoyed it. But I tend to turn my brain off when watching films instead of questioning the random movie logic that shows up. If I didn't I'd never be able to enjoy any action film with guns in it where everybody completely sucks at aiming.
I completely forgot about that. I withdraw my complaint about the tanks. The worse than storm troopers aim though.......

With regards to switching off certain thought processes, I do this too. However, my cynicism overrides this in extreme situations.

Captcha LOL: hard cheese

Pompey71

May 31, 2009
Bloody hell. Remind me not to voice my opinions on this forum...ever! So much for polite rebuttal eh? How dare the OP say his side of things on an open FORUM and expect some casual debate of his points. Let's launch in, call him a as****e and leave. Geez.