I hate Dark Knight Rises *SPOILERS*

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
ServebotFrank said:
Why is everyone suddenly saying that Bruce lived? I thought it was implied that Alfred was just fantasizing about it. There's no way Bruce lived from that explosion. So common sense says that he's dead and that whole thing is a fantasy Alfred imagined due to his sadness of Bruce being dead.
If so, then why was Anne Hathaway there? Alfred had exactly one scene with her, and he didn't even realize she was Selina at the time. He had no idea she would become Bruce's love interest. So why would she be there?

darlarosa

May 4, 2011
I understand the OP's point of view...but I think you have to put things in perspective.

2) Basically your problem is with editing. For time it appears like they did not do long shots of Selina and Batman walking through the sewers or down corridors, most likely for time. To me it was a lot more comic-booky? It felt kind of like a series of panels and I think it worked. It was a bit disjointing, but I think that was kind of an unfortunate result of time. It's pretty obvious that that section of the movie is a variaty of take-downs not in the same area, not happening in the same 5 minutes.

3) This is kinda going back to number 2. It was kind of problematic, but ultimately it made sense. The reasoning is that Talia wanted to make Bruce suffer by watching his city cling to hope, and watching the world cling to that hope as well. More than that Bane broke Bruce's back, and that kind of injury takes time to heal, and then time to build back his strength. In the cut they repeatedly hammer in the time change Snow, ice, "5 months", "day 83", the fact that the cops are basically in an underground shelter, the constructed blockade of the tunnels out of gotham, Bruce's facial hair increasing....

-You have to understand the logic. The policy did not so much win against Bane's men due to their firepower. They simply overwhelmed the foot soldiers with their sheer numbers. That is why Bane trapped them in the first place. The cops were the largest force opposing them, and in the end the cops did lose a lot of people. During the overhead shot you see a lot of cops getting taken down for instance.

-League of Shadows. Bane out smarting them. I mean honestly thats just kinda what they do. They studied the commissioner for years. "Miranda Tate", Talia, has been around for 8 years actively in Gotham, and then you factor in the 2 years she spent after her father died putting the League's training to work. You have to suspend your disbelief with this and assume these are the worlds best(they just are not good at anticipating other variables interfering or plans failing).

-It's rather stupid, I'm sorry to put it that way, to complain about the departure of Bane. This was obvious for months, and it's just something that you have to accept. Bane in NO WAY would work in the Nolan verse otherwise. Comic book Bane would be the most unfortunate villain to end the series with. The face thing is pretty, true. It is kind of dumb, but it's not such a key factor in the overall plot to me. I think if they had shown exactly what had been done or explained it, it would have been better. The overall jist being that his being trapped in the prison lead to whatever damage being hard to fix, and that the prison doctor kind of butchered him further in an attempt to fix him.

-Talia actually kind of serves a purpose. She was supposed to act as an escape. Bruce lost the only people he cared for. One in an attempt to force him to live a life. Miranda Tate represented solace for him. It was a hasty put together "romance", but I wouldn't call it that. He thought she was smart, well-meaning, and trust worthy. He saw in her qualities he liked in Rachel, and qualities he sought in his confidants. Ultimately his judgement betrayed him.

-The bomb. Actually code is never involved in it. The power source of the reactor becomes the bomb when it is removed from the reactor. There is nothing to stabilize it so it degrades overtime. I'm just a laywoman so I don't know much about "nukes"...specifically the movie bomb being a fusion based thing...thats different from what we use now...and I believe not as studied as other forms of nuclear energy type things. Dr. Povlav is implied to have created something ENTIRELY different than what is commonly used, and isn't quite understood(impossible to disarm once removed from the reactor?). So...I'm not sure what anyone can take from that. The overall implication in every single movie is Wayne Enterprises does REALLY unorthodox technology testing(at least). The entire premise of their success is that they create weapons similar an yet unlike things in our world exactly.

-Bane knows Bruce Wayne is Batman. So they have been observing his life and finances for years, and after the take over I'm guessing they found loose ends, which is how they found the Bat-storage-of battyness. At least thats what I assumed

Though the OP does bring up valid points, I still think the movie is executed well.:/ . There are problems with the movie, but I think it was an amazing ending and far superior than the last one in terms of a few things. For an ending to a series its a very good movie. (It may also be that I have wanted to be Catwoman since I was 3...that may also be a factor in all seriousness)

Apollo45

Jan 30, 2011
The Heik said:
Ok it's fusion reactor. My mistake (though I swear I heard them say the words neutron when describing it). However it doesn't change the fact that it is still a form of nuclear power. Heck the sun is a giant fusion reaction, and it still lets off more radiation that anything on our solar system even in terms of power/cost ratio. The bomb would still leave fallout in the same manner that a fission bomb would leave. It's still be impossible for a rotor lift aircraft to get the bomb out of the fallout zone in one minute, and even if it were detonated underwater (though since we see the mushroom cloud it very clearly isn't) the shockwave in the water would destroy gotham via earthquakes, and contaminated water (and by extension contaminated rain) would still render the city unlivable. It'd still be screwed either way.

Actually it being a fusion reactor (as such non-self sustaining) raises a whole new problem. How could it then have a timer that would make it go boom? The thing would simply stop functioning, rather than spiral out of control and detonate of it's own accord. So the reactor in the movie couldn't have been a fusion reactor, as it's destructive nature contradicts the stability and safety of nuclear fusion.

This reactor/bomb doesn't work from any explosive angle. That is a whole new level of failure
They call it a Neutron Bomb at one point, which actually helps to explain the blast radius since neutron bombs release more energy as radiation than physical explosion (when compared to a similar yield fusion/fission bomb anyway), which means that the visual explosion for a 4 megaton neutron bomb would be significantly smaller than that of a 4 megation fusion bomb.

That could also explain the reactor issues. Obviously it's a technology that hasn't been developed yet, so in the process of making the reactor clean it also likely ended up allowing for some sort of weaponization, which fits with the paper that the nuclear scientist wrote (the one that Bane kidnapped from the plane in the beginning). That weaponization process, which is what went on when they first took the reactor, is also likely what started the countdown. Like I said, this isn't technology we currently have so suspension of disbelief is required, and I have no problems handing mine over in that situation. The explosion at the end called it into question a bit, but it's still in the realm of disbelief-suspension.

As far as the issues in the first post go, the first is easily explained. He's firing his pistol, and then runs out of ammunition. Scene cuts away to enemy firing/jumping into bat-tank. During that time span he's dropped his pistol and picked up a rifle - which is completely reasonable and to be expected when you're fighting people who have rifles - and he starts firing with that when the scene cuts back to him. Another cut and the tank is driving away, firing its cannon as it does. Scene cuts back and the guy's dead, apparently hit by the tank cannon. Makes sense to me.

As for the ambushing, I thought it was amusing. You can see Bats cut off down a different path towards the left of the screen as they're entering the sewers. He follows that while Catwoman goes down the main path and ends up in front of the baddie. Batman, meanwhile, has followed the other path and comes out on the other side of him. Being Bats, he manages to get upside down (or whatever) just because he can, and he takes the dude out. Of course, Catwoman could have done that by herself, but it was mostly a preview of what was to come over the course of that scene. Works for me.

As for the third one, I thought the mentioning of "Five months until the bomb goes off", coupled with the switch to winter, the growing of the beard for Wayne, the changes in the city, and everything else tended to make the passing of time clear. I had absolutely no confusion on that point.

Stormtrooper syndrome is to be expected a bit, and while it was bad in this movie I've seen worse. The action scenes, to me, felt relatively realistic. I didn't go in to this expecting to see Bats and Bane doing parkour through the sewers. Both are bulky, so in my mind it makes sense they'd be duking it out.

The contrivance isn't too bad really. It's used to portray Bane as ridiculously smart, which he is, but we can get hints that there's something else going on because there's no way he's that smart. At the end we figure out what that is; the daughter serves as a leader and informant, supplying information from the inside of everything to the operations. She likely had sources everywhere, so she knew about it all long in advance. Capturing the police force underground was a part of the plan. For him it was a matter of waiting for the right opportunity. He did his part by planting the right people in the right positions, kidnapping people at the right times, and in doing so managing to lure the cops underground. It just so happens to coincide with a football game (which was quite contrived, but I can deal with that) and viola.

Venom vs Painkillers is a tossup, but I feel like the painkiller this guy is on isn't your run-of-the-mill Tylenol. Since it's an unknown substance I can see it dulling pain without dulling feeling without stressing my suspension of disbelief. Sure, it's not exactly an answered question, but it's a minor detail that I don't need to worry about.

Anyway, I suppose my point is that I feel like your complaints about the movie are either easily explained or rather minor. Of course, that's just my opinion on the ones that I feel are minor. I enjoyed the movie, so that of course colors my view on the issues within it. You certainly have some valid complaints about the whole thing, many of which could have been fixed rather easily. Still, I figure it worked out well enough, and the film was quite enjoyable.

Edit:
Actually it couldn't. You see with the Batwing/copter it comes down to lift more than it does about horsepower. The Bat aerodynamically is a brick, so the only way it could stay in the air is due to the two heli rotors on it's underside, and it's with those that the issue occurs. You see, there is a reason why 200 kts (approx) is the limit for all helicopters. There's a phenomenon known as retreating blade stall, which occurs is when a rotor aircraft approaches its maximum velocity. Whilst the rotor blades are on the backswing (traveling in the opposite direction the vehicle is going during a full revolution), the forward motion of the aircraft exceeds the rearward motion the rotor blade, resulting in the blade ceasing to be able to provide sufficient lift for the aircraft (as effectively it's going backwards). If the Bat were to exceed whatever its retreating blade stall limit is, it would fall out of the sky because it couldn't keep itself up. It's a fundamental limit of physics.

The Bat would either be only half the blast radius away from Gotham because it's only going 200 kts, or it would have nosedived into Gotham's river because it lost all of its lift (thereby blowing up even more of the city)
Actually, this is partially solved by having two rotors that are positioned perpendicular to the body of the aircraft and rotating in opposite directions. The increase in speed makes one half of the rotor essentially useless, but makes the other half increasingly effective. On a standard helicopter this means that half of the body ends up not having anything to lift it up and the chopper essentially starts to do a barrel roll then falls out of the sky. On the Batwing, however, the two oppositely rotating blades allow the vehicle to remain in flight even above that limit since the rotors work to balance each other out. Zero (or possibly negative) lift in the middle, but increasing lift on the outsides coupled with assisted jet propulsion mean it can remain in flight long after a regular helicopter wouldn't be able to.

Rawberry101

Jan 14, 2012
The film was incredibly flawed, but I still loved it. I could point out why like many of those people here but it wouldn't change opinions or stop the madness. In general,too many characters for them to all be done justice, bad fight choreography, muddy plot, but the whole product really did engage me and that's all you can really ask for.

And my love for this movie has nothing to do with Anne Hathaway!!!!

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
So, this thread is clearly marked as containing spoilers, right?

OK, here goes:

The first Nolan Batman impressed me before it turned into a ninja ballet nod to John Woo. Still, I was eagerly looking forward to the next Nolan Batman as I was busy stitching up a home-made chronological order version of Memento.

And I must say I liked The Dark Knight, I was extremely impressed by the Joker that I would have never believed to be this awesome, this intense, this... impressive. I pretty much hated Heath Ledger ever since I somewhat accidentally bought A Knight's Tale, a movie that ruined Knights, Medieval times and We Will Rock You all in just one sitting.

So, there I was, sitting in the cinema, later at home, watching The Dark Knight repeatedly thinking that - even though the Joker master plan really was pretty much heavily condensed contrived nonsense - it was great cinema, and a pretty solid action film with but a sprinkle of that umami Nolan mindfuck taste. I still think The Dark Knight was surprisingly, amazingly good, and not just because I really love Rottweilers.

I think one of the main issues of The Dark Knight Rises begins already with its title. We've had The Dark Knight the last time, now he rises? Is Batman, our Dark Knight in shiny rubberized armour, not really the White Knight? Isn't Bane the Dark Knight? Honestly, there are no knights or steeds at all in these movies, there was a sort of drug-induced horse scene thanks to Scarecrow in the first one, I believe, but beyond that the title itself seems like an overdose of Nolan. Snort the title, bleed out the nose for months.

The Bane character is nothing like I would have expected or wanted him to be. Well, the juggernaut bit comes across, and I think I could like that, but having both Gordon and Batman incapacitated seemed a bit too surreal for my tastebuds, and it reminded me of watching Denzel Washington lie in bed for two hours in The Bone Collector. Not what I expected, and I find it even beyond calling it an acquired taste.

As to the story and the ending - well, they don't even matter to me right now, as I am still pretty much in what I would consider to be some sort of emotional shock. Having the armoured futuristic car around was awesome, the Batpod was already a bit too much wire-fu, CGI, Power Rangers to me, but it didn't really matter. Seeing weaponized version of the Nolan Batmobile feels a bit like playing with recycled He-Man or G.I. Joe figurines parts.

The flying CGI Bat-Thing also feels incredibly out of place, it could just as well have been a pink pirate cat with an eye-patch, as it ruins the millions they stuck into building those awesome Batmobiles last time around.

I also don't get how you can fuck up Tom Hardy. The dude's scary close to being an idiot as is, but he's an actor, and he blew me away in Bronson. Here, he displays his awesome power to annoy the pants off me by mumbling into his nonsensical mouthpiece and not following any logic beyond being a scripted brutish genius that still doesn't get to make much proper sense.

Oh, yeah, another amazing thing was that, after the movie, we were able to use that one word to describe our condition:

dis·com·bob·u·lat·ed

To end this on a positive note, go read that bit here:

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/arts/comic-books/batmobile.htm

Sande45

Mar 28, 2011
The Heik said:
They established it a a fusion reactor, and while not commercially viable, those do actually exist. So when the film decided to call it a fusion reactor then the device took all the connotation of one therein. They could have just as easily called it something else and it would have removed the problem entirely, but they decided to go with something that directly contradicts how it's used in the film. That's just bad storytelling.
You might have me there. I don't really know (or remember) enough about the physics involved to question you or the movie for that matter.

You see with the Batwing/copter it comes down to lift more than it does about horsepower. The Bat aerodynamically is a brick, so the only way it could stay in the air is due to the two heli rotors on it's underside, and it's with those that the issue occurs. You see, there is a reason why 200 kts (approx) is the limit for all helicopters. There's a phenomenon known as retreating blade stall, which occurs is when a rotor aircraft approaches its maximum velocity. Whilst the rotor blades are on the backswing (traveling in the opposite direction the vehicle is going during a full revolution), the forward motion of the aircraft exceeds the rearward motion the rotor blade, resulting in the blade ceasing to be able to provide sufficient lift for the aircraft (as effectively it's going backwards). If the Bat were to exceed whatever its retreating blade stall limit is, it would fall out of the sky because it couldn't keep itself up. It's a fundamental limit of physics.

The Bat would either be only half the blast radius away from Gotham because it's only going 200 kts, or it would have nosedived into Gotham's river because it lost all of its lift (thereby blowing up even more of the city)
Wouldn't having two rotors eliminate this problem, with the other advancing while the other retreats? And even if it wouldn't, this is an issue I had no idea about. I guess ignorance really is a bliss (sometimes).

The Heik

King of the Nael
Oct 12, 2008
Apollo45 said:
They call it a Neutron Bomb at one point, which actually helps to explain the blast radius since neutron bombs release more energy as radiation than physical explosion (when compared to a similar yield fusion/fission bomb anyway), which means that the visual explosion for a 4 megaton neutron bomb would be significantly smaller than that of a 4 megation fusion bomb.
Then the fallout radius (which would be something like 30 miles or more) would be all the more lethal. Gotham would still be an irradiated wasteland, and all it's inhabitants would still be dead or evacuated. It doesn't really matter what kind of nuclear bomb it is, Gotham would still be destroyed by it.

Apollo45 said:
That could also explain the reactor issues. Obviously it's a technology that hasn't been developed yet, so in the process of making the reactor clean it also likely ended up allowing for some sort of weaponization, which fits with the paper that the nuclear scientist wrote (the one that Bane kidnapped from the plane in the beginning). That weaponization process, which is what went on when they first took the reactor, is also likely what started the countdown. Like I said, this isn't technology we currently have so suspension of disbelief is required, and I have no problems handing mine over in that situation. The explosion at the end called it into question a bit, but it's still in the realm of disbelief-suspension.
Both Neutron and Fusion reactors exist in the real world. We know exactly how they function, and neither function remotely close to how the reactor in the movie is described as. If it's fusion, then it never could have blown up (incapable of a self-sustained charge). If it was neutron, then it would have blown up within 5 hours, not 5 months (I refuse to believe that the ball had enough cooling systems in it to be able manage the massive heat that nuclear power creates for 5 months. There is a reason why non-fusion nuclear reactor facilities are the size of mega-malls)

Also I still call bullshit on an energy source capable of being turned into a bomb in a few minutes. That is literally asking for terrorists to attack it and use it to take the city hostage (or blow it up if they're the Al Quaeda type of terrorists). No engineer would willingly design that, and no company would green-light its use for fear of being sued into oblivion.

Apollo45 said:
As far as the issues in the first post go, the first is easily explained. He's firing his pistol, and then runs out of ammunition. Scene cuts away to enemy firing/jumping into bat-tank. During that time span he's dropped his pistol and picked up a rifle - which is completely reasonable and to be expected when you're fighting people who have rifles - and he starts firing with that when the scene cuts back to him. Another cut and the tank is driving away, firing its cannon as it does. Scene cuts back and the guy's dead, apparently hit by the tank cannon. Makes sense to me.
My point was that the simple fact that none of that was shown, which makes a for a visual and temporal disjoint. Make any explanations that you want, if we didn't see any of those things happen or at least had it implied (and it wasn't), it's nothing but conjecture. And if the viewers have to fill in the blanks with whatever their own idea is (rather than with a consistent one), that's a mark of bad cinematography.

Apollo45 said:
As for the ambushing, I thought it was amusing. You can see Bats cut off down a different path towards the left of the screen as they're entering the sewers. He follows that while Catwoman goes down the main path and ends up in front of the baddie. Batman, meanwhile, has followed the other path and comes out on the other side of him. Being Bats, he manages to get upside down (or whatever) just because he can, and he takes the dude out. Of course, Catwoman could have done that by herself, but it was mostly a preview of what was to come over the course of that scene. Works for me.
Fine if it works for you but the simple act of it being in the film is not only pointless but rather silly as well. And for a series that was established as being at least grounded in a semi-realistic setting, it's not a point in its favour.

Apollo45 said:
As for the third one, I thought the mentioning of "Five months until the bomb goes off", coupled with the switch to winter, the growing of the beard for Wayne, the changes in the city, and everything else tended to make the passing of time clear. I had absolutely no confusion on that point.
The thing is though that a lot of the in between time isn't even hinted at. You know all those parts where Bane seems to be at every event? Those are supposed to be hours sometimes even days and weeks apart with no clear indication of such. In one scene it has certain weather with people wearing certain clothes. The next scene it's exactly the same weather and the people are wearing the exactly same clothes, and yet it's a week in the future. How are we the audience supposed to know that when we aren't given an indication of that? Seriously, the Day 83 TV and the snow were the first clear point that showed the passage of time, yet between the stadium take over scene and those two there were several scenes that occurred where either Bane and his buddies had a teleporter or a lot of travel time wasn't being hinted at. It's little details like those that make the flow and structure of the movie confusing and inconsistent.

Apollo45 said:
The contrivance isn't too bad really. It's used to portray Bane as ridiculously smart, which he is, but we can get hints that there's something else going on because there's no way he's that smart. At the end we figure out what that is; the daughter serves as a leader and informant, supplying information from the inside of everything to the operations. She likely had sources everywhere, so she knew about it all long in advance. Capturing the police force underground was a part of the plan. For him it was a matter of waiting for the right opportunity. He did his part by planting the right people in the right positions, kidnapping people at the right times, and in doing so managing to lure the cops underground. It just so happens to coincide with a football game (which was quite contrived, but I can deal with that) and viola.

Venom vs Painkillers is a tossup, but I feel like the painkiller this guy is on isn't your run-of-the-mill Tylenol. Since it's an unknown substance I can see it dulling pain without dulling feeling without stressing my suspension of disbelief. Sure, it's not exactly an answered question, but it's a minor detail that I don't need to worry about.
The the thing is that Bane was in enough pain that not having the mask working for a few seconds made him scream in agony and be incapable of fighting Batman. Even if the specific painkiller being used had less effect on touch nerves than pain nerves, there would be so much coursing through his system that he'd be high as the Hubble space telescope, barely able to get out a cohesive thought let alone enact all the shit he did in the film and then fight a trained martial artist in combat. And here's another thing, Bane didn't actually plan any of that stuff out. Talia did. Bane was just the figurehead for it so Talia could do the betrayal twist bullshit that everyone saw coming. He's just your average overpowered thug, and that destroys one of the biggest traits the original Bane had (namely his standalone smarts whilst on Venom). At this point the Bane from Batman and Robin (ostensibly one of the worst Batman films put on screen) is technically a more accurate representation of Bane because at least that one does have Venom (super-smarts notwithstanding). When B&R gets something more right than this film, someone on Nolan's team has fucked up.

Apollo45 said:
Anyway, I suppose my point is that I feel like your complaints about the movie are either easily explained or rather minor. Of course, that's just my opinion on the ones that I feel are minor. I enjoyed the movie, so that of course colors my view on the issues within it. You certainly have some valid complaints about the whole thing, many of which could have been fixed rather easily. Still, I figure it worked out well enough, and the film was quite enjoyable.
I do admit that a lot of my complaints are relatively minor (in comparison to the major problem of the film). But the issue is that there are just so many in the film that I kinda equate to fire ants. Having one on your arm is a minor annoyance that is easily dealt with. Having a hundred on your arm is a major issue that you have to deal with carefully as so much can go wrong if you fuck up.

Apollo45 said:
Actually it couldn't. You see with the Batwing/copter it comes down to lift more than it does about horsepower. The Bat aerodynamically is a brick, so the only way it could stay in the air is due to the two heli rotors on it's underside, and it's with those that the issue occurs. You see, there is a reason why 200 kts (approx) is the limit for all helicopters. There's a phenomenon known as retreating blade stall, which occurs is when a rotor aircraft approaches its maximum velocity. Whilst the rotor blades are on the backswing (traveling in the opposite direction the vehicle is going during a full revolution), the forward motion of the aircraft exceeds the rearward motion the rotor blade, resulting in the blade ceasing to be able to provide sufficient lift for the aircraft (as effectively it's going backwards). If the Bat were to exceed whatever its retreating blade stall limit is, it would fall out of the sky because it couldn't keep itself up. It's a fundamental limit of physics.

Actually, this is partially solved by having two rotors that are positioned perpendicular to the body of the aircraft and rotating in opposite directions. The increase in speed makes one half of the rotor essentially useless, but makes the other half increasingly effective. On a standard helicopter this means that half of the body ends up not having anything to lift it up and the chopper essentially starts to do a barrel roll then falls out of the sky. On the Batwing, however, the two oppositely rotating blades allow the vehicle to remain in flight even above that limit since the rotors work to balance each other out. Zero (or possibly negative) lift in the middle, but increasing lift on the outsides coupled with assisted jet propulsion mean it can remain in flight long after a regular helicopter wouldn't be able to.
As I mentioned before the jet propulsion on the front would not be able to lift the plane (aerodynamics of a brick remember, meaning no surface capable of providing effective lift?). And actually having the 2 rotor being perpendicular is a problem not a solution, as it means some of the force would be directed sideways rather than straight down, thereby reducing it's overall lift capability even more (so it'd be something more like 30% of full lift power if RBS is added in, and no chopper can function off of 30% lift power, especially if they're carrying a heavy load like a nuclear bomb). Also, the RBS with two rotor blades would also be worse as one rotor or the other losing lift at different times (and the atmosphere being what it is, that would happen) would cause the vehicle to wobble and eventually eventually pitch and flip, and no pilot or autopilot on this planet can stop a tumbling chopper from crashing.

Sexy Devil

Jul 12, 2010
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
Wow, why the hell would you choose to focus on all this when the movie had plenty of REAL problems? I guess I'll get to those later though, because I really want to respond to some of your arguments. You can assume that I agree with any points I don't bring up here.

1. You can't complain that Bane is too smart AND not smart enough at the same time. Not how it works. He knows where the Wayne armory is because he has access to Wayne tower. (I'll admit, however, that it's pretty ridiculous how he knew all the cops would be underground at the same time as the football game, especially when you consider that he would've been preparing for the event long before the COPS knew they would be underground)

2. Batman has ALWAYS had teleportation powers. He has ninja training. He's stealthy. He's been doing it for years. He's fucking Batman. Why are you complaining about it NOW?

3. I honestly don't know what you're talking about with the time-lapse and the take-over of Gotham. I was never confused about the timing, and I didn't even notice the "Day 83" thing. Not like I had an exact mental calender running, but I understood when a lot of time had passed.

4. You're honestly telling me that "Guy fighting through painkillers" is more ridiculous to you then "Guy injects drug and doubles in size"?

5. All your complaints about the reactor not behaving like a nuclear reactor are invalid because despite your statement about "technobabble", the thing still isn't a goddamn nuclear reactor, and you have no idea how it works. Because it DOESN'T ACTUALLY EXIST. Same goes for the maximum speed of the Bat-copter. Maybe it CAN go super-sonic. Anyway, if you're the kind of person who actually has to leave the theater because of average-helicopter speed misrepresentation, maybe you just shouldn't see movies.

That's not to say it was a perfect film. It seems like it has quite a few more characters then it needs, which is bad for a film that clocks in at 3 fucking hours. On a related note, the entire first half of the film plays an assembly line designed to develop plot points, just one after the other, as quickly as possible. And I know you already said it, but yeah: The romance with Talia was quite silly and not needed. Michael Caine barely gets anything to do (though he owns the scenes he's in) and a lot of the plot points are bit clunky, to say the least. (EX: Gordon-Levitt's character just KNOWING Batman's identity after looking at him for five seconds like 10 years ago.) So my opinion? Hardly perfect, and almost definitely the worst of the trilogy, but did I enjoy it? Absolutely. A resounding "Pretty damn good" for me.
I believe the idea with the romance was that Bruce was lonely and vulnerable, what with Alfred being gone and all, and Talia took advantage of that to make him emotionally dependent on her. That would allow her to demoralise the shit out of him when at the end.

And Michael Cane gets not much to do because bringing him back would kind of kill the gravity of his decision to leave. I mean if he came back and helped Bruce they couldn't have really done the graveyard scene and everything else.

The only surprising part about John figuring out Bruce is Batman is that nobody else ever figured it out. http://www.cracked.com/video_18442_the-horrible-truth-about-batmans-secret-identity.html Besides that it helped to develop that connection that John knows the anger that drives Bruce so that he could become Batman.

White knighting the film because I liked it the most of the trilogy. I was confused as to why everyone was calling it a nuke in this thread though, I always thought it was just some super awesome maguffin technology so thanks for clearing that up.

Commerford

Aug 21, 2011
As a whole piece I enjoyed the film, the directing and acting were extremely well executed, the fight scenes with Bane and Batman made me feel extremely clostrophobic(sp), but in a good way. All the actors smashed there roles (looking at you Anne Hathaway and Tom Hardy) wish she got more screen time (and stuff to actually do). Although I reckon they gave to much story telling power to Nolan because as pointed out, it just gets insanely mental and no one but the baddies ever have a clue what is going on.

On topic of things that don't make any sense, I was confused for the entirety of the film why Bane was wearing the mask, some BS about it feeding him pain killers... BUT WHY FEED HIM PAINKILLERS IN THE MOUTH ALL THE TIME?!?!? Tom Hardy/Bane is a huge dude, and therefore would have to eat a ridiculous amount of protein and calories every day to stay that size, but how on earth is he eating anything with his face covered all the time. If anyone can shed some light on this it would be welcome. (Oh and of course you can punch massive holes into a concrete pillar but one blow to Batman doesn't knock his head clean off).

P.S. Why wait 5 months to destroy Gotham, just blow it up day one, go home, happy days for the league of shadows.

P.P.S. Just start killing people Batman, it would make your films last less than just short of an eternity.

ServebotFrank

Jul 1, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
ServebotFrank said:
Why is everyone suddenly saying that Bruce lived? I thought it was implied that Alfred was just fantasizing about it. There's no way Bruce lived from that explosion. So common sense says that he's dead and that whole thing is a fantasy Alfred imagined due to his sadness of Bruce being dead.
If so, then why was Anne Hathaway there? Alfred had exactly one scene with her, and he didn't even realize she was Selina at the time. He had no idea she would become Bruce's love interest. So why would she be there?

Wasn't he there when Bruce looked her up? Hell he probably heard about what happened from Gordon or someone who was there at the scene that they essentially made out before the sacrifice. Just kinda speculating here but it makes more sense then Batman surviving stupidly impossible odds.

Sexy Devil

Jul 12, 2010
ServebotFrank said:
Soviet Heavy said:
ServebotFrank said:

Wasn't he there when Bruce looked her up? Hell he probably heard about what happened from Gordon or someone who was there at the scene that they essentially made out before the sacrifice. Just kinda speculating here but it makes more sense then Batman surviving stupidly impossible odds.
The idea was that the autopilot was fixed so he bailed out as soon at some point after the bridge.

Rhaff

Jan 30, 2011
Caramel Frappe said:
The Heik said:
There are concepts I agree with you on completely, other parts I somewhat disagree with you on. However, since I just saw The Dark Knight Rises today.. I shall admit a few things I agree with you on:

-snips-

- Bane's voice.. it sounded to 'high classed' and it echoed all around so it felt like he was talking through a speaker rather then directly himself. Just a tough looking guy needs a more sinister or least deeper voice then... that. It was even worse then Batman's voice.
-snips-
People seem to be forgetting or ignorant of the fact that, while comic book and animated series Bane is made ridiculously strong by venom, he is almost always described as a well spoken and highly intelligent man, on par or even superior to Batman, and almost equal to Ras 'al Ghul. Of course the movie doesn't tell the viewers this in all that great detail, but he understands most subjects well enough that he could be considered an expert on a great number of topics, speaking several languages, and having mastered several methods of combat, both hand to hand and weaponry.
When I considered this in relation to his portrayal in the film, I actually got very disappointed, especially with the Talia twist..

Also, about all the tech and what not, keep in mind that the movie takes place at least 8 years in the "future", assuming that Begins takes place roughly the same year it came out. So while the specs may be somewhat off (Im looking at you fusion nuke), the tech is not all that unbelievable..

Jimber_Jam

Sep 14, 2010
The nuclear reactors we use for power are fission reactors. They generate power by splitting atoms. The reactor in TDKR is a fusion reactor. It works by combining atoms into heavier elements (this is what powers stars). They are two completely different things, and so far no one has managed to make a fusion reactor IRL, so any claims as to how they work are purely theoretical.

The Heik

King of the Nael
Oct 12, 2008
Jimber_Jam said:
The nuclear reactors we use for power are fission reactors. They generate power by splitting atoms. The reactor in TDKR is a fusion reactor. It works by combining atoms into heavier elements (this is what powers stars). They are two completely different things, and so far no one has managed to make a fusion reactor IRL, so any claims as to how they work are purely theoretical.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITER

That is a real-life fusion reactor being built right now in Southern France. True it may not be technically operational but at this point humanity knows how they work and how to make them. It's simply that prior to the 21st century we weren't really ready to make them (technology hadn't really caught up with the science). That does not mean that we don't understand the core mechanics behind fusion reactors and when some film is feeding us a line of crap about them.

Speed

Jul 25, 2012
I've generally understood fusion energy to be synonymous with "clean" energy. At least, that's the hope and what is generally portrayed in movies. I didn't have a problem with the nuclear blast not contaminating the city on the grounds we were not discussing a typical fission reactor with the resulting radioactivity:

"The international team of researchers - led by Emeritus Professor Heinrich Hora, of the University of New South Wales Department of Theoretical Physics -has shown through computational studies that a special fuel ignited by brief but powerful pulses of energy from new high-energy lasers may be the key to a success that has long eluded physicists. The intense laser beam would be used to ignite a fuel made of light hydrogen and boron-11. The resulting ignition would be largely free of radioactive emissions and would release more than enough energy to generate electricity. The amount of radiation released would be even less than that emitted by current power stations that burn coal, which contains trace amounts of uranium. In another plus, the fuel source is plentiful and readily accessible and the waste product of ignition would be clean helium gas."

Read more at: http://phys.org/news190295239.html#jCp

Now, this isn't the final word on the matter, but insofar as hypothetical clean energy, near-future fusion reactors are concerned regarding a Gotham City, Batman, and whatnot, it's not a stretch to believe the energy released, whether a controlled explosion or via the diabolical schemes of a genius madman in a respirator, could be largely free of radioactive emissions.

As for the Batwing, again, not much of an issue for me. Is it fantastic? Absolutely, but so is the Batpod, did it's presence ruin The Dark Knight?

The Batpod can exist only in Nolan's universe. During promotion work for The Dark Knight, the Tumbler was seen roaring around Nuremberg, not so for the Batpod. The design is so fundamentally flawed, it's incapable of even navigating a racetrack. Much less turning on a dime.

That all said, I didn't really care much for the Dark Knight Rises, I'm thinking of seeing it again in hopes I might appreciate it more. However, I found the fight scenes disappointing, the story ponderous, and I don't really get the Catwoman/Batman dynamic:

She steals your mother's necklace, fingerprints, your fortune, and her actions almost leave you as a paraplegic in the bottom of a Hell Pit, so ... naturally ... when you see her again, you smile, forgive her, and give her the secret software to erase her past identity.

I mean ... WTF?

Best,
Speed

djlukaluke

Jun 24, 2010
Would have loved to see Batman use the radio mic in the Bat
'S, Gotham Bay, Nuke, 30 seconds.'
..And the fans rejoiced...