I hate FPS's.

FuktLogik

Jan 6, 2010
retyopy said:
EDIT 2: All I meant was that I disliked the idea of killing a human, even killing the concept of a human, i.e. pixelated enemies.
Let me guess, you own a wii, don't you?

I dare you to play Stranger's Wrath when it's released on the PSN sometime in the next while and hate it because it's an FPS. I think it'll be right up your Gandhiesqe ally.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
I'm a fan of 'em. In fact, I love first person shooters.

Well, let me rephrase that.

I love first person games. They don't necessarily have to involve "shooting" people or things until they're dead. There are plenty (not nearly enough) of first-person adventure games that involve simple environmental interaction instead of shooting a gun.

Don't get me wrong. I'm just as much a fan of other genres too. Real-time and turn-based strategy games. Racing games. Adventure/platformers. Point-and-click adventure RPGs. However, there's just something about the "immersiveness" inherent in playing a game in the first person perspective. The sensation and intimacy of seeing and controlling the in-game events through the main characters eyes. It's hard to have the same experience when you're just watching the character do those things instead. Essentially experiencing the game vicariously. (yes, I'm aware of the irony.) It's the same reason why I love to play racing games from the "drivers seat" perspective.

If that's not your thing, that's fine. I've never and will never knock someone for not enjoying something that I do. However, it's hard to deny the greater level of immersion one can have when playing something through the first-person perspective.

Still, even I will admit that the first-person genre, as a whole, has become quite stale or, in the very least, over abundant. But then, that's true of most video game genres today.

DoctorFrankenStein

Jul 4, 2011
FPS's can get on my nerves because I find the perspective disoriented. [Especially if I'm playing some kind of Alien that can run on walls and ceilings.]
I prefer third person perspective. GTA Vice City is still one of my all-time favorite games. [I feel like they ruined the driving in San Andreas. I want to use the directional pad to drive, not the stick dammit!]
The only exception I'll make are some of the zombie maps for Call of Duty Black Ops. Keno, Ascension, and Shangri-La specifically. I especially love pulling Richstofen for my avatar. [it's random.] He's out of his mind and it's funny as hell.
[And judging by the Easter egg dialog in Call Of The Dead; probably has designs on getting Tank Dempsey out of his presumably American flag underwear.]

HappyCastor

Feb 13, 2011
retyopy said:
HappyCastor said:
retyopy said:
HappyCastor said:
Well, if you can't differentiate between the value of some pixels and some people, maybe you shouldn't play games where you shoot them, and maybe I should thank you for not wanting to play them.
read the second edit.
I have.

They are not concepts of humans, they are empty shells, designed in a way to make them look like humans. To say they are a copy, a clone of humans is to imply some sort of intelligence, or consciousness to some degree. They have neither, and to imply they are a "concept" of us is insulting to one of the highest degrees, as you have insulted yourself(unless of course you are an alien, which I doubt), and another 7 billion people who do not deserve to be insulted in such a way. I suggest you think before you speak next time.
I suggest you don't overthink. Then again, perhaps I'm overthinking it.

Overthink? Have I unexpectedly dived into a forgotten meaning or law in the universe that will undoubtedly cause horror and hatred? Have I discovered an ancient theory that will make humanity throw itself down and give up all hope? No? Then I haven't "overthunk"(for lack of a better term). My reply was an automatic one, to address your insult to humanity as a whole.

retyopy

Aug 6, 2011
HappyCastor said:
retyopy said:
HappyCastor said:
retyopy said:
HappyCastor said:
Well, if you can't differentiate between the value of some pixels and some people, maybe you shouldn't play games where you shoot them, and maybe I should thank you for not wanting to play them.
read the second edit.
I have.

They are not concepts of humans, they are empty shells, designed in a way to make them look like humans. To say they are a copy, a clone of humans is to imply some sort of intelligence, or consciousness to some degree. They have neither, and to imply they are a "concept" of us is insulting to one of the highest degrees, as you have insulted yourself(unless of course you are an alien, which I doubt), and another 7 billion people who do not deserve to be insulted in such a way. I suggest you think before you speak next time.

Overthink? Have I unexpectedly dived into a forgotten meaning or law in the universe that will undoubtedly cause horror and hatred? Have I discovered an ancient theory that will make humanity throw itself down and give up all hope? No? Then I haven't "overthunk"(for lack of a better term). My reply was an automatic one, to address your insult to humanity as a whole.
Look, I apologize for being an idiot. Happy?

Savber

Feb 17, 2011
*walks protectively over his beloved Deus Ex (yes go install it) and Half Life 2*

I don't hate FPS if they're done right. *glances at Bioshock and Battlefield*

Althought, I don't mind the occasional thrill ride... *smiles at COD4: MW and Halo: CE*

I do generally prefer hybrid RPG FPSes like New Vegas rather than pure FPS like COD.

May 5, 2010
I don't like JRPGs. They're all just boring nonsense. Everything about them, from the characters to the writing to the gameplay, is always just dense, over-designed, overly complex, ridiculous nonsense. The characters are just flat cutouts with retardedly huge weapons and improbable clothing. The writing is extremely dense and the stories are told clumsily, usually through having the player read a bunch of text to explain everything. And the gameplay sacrifices any trace of fun in favor of dumping overly complicated systems on the player, and the only payoff for mastering these systems is getting the same experience you'd get with real-time combat. [footnote]READ THE WHOLE POST BEFORE REPLYING[/footnote]

See how I've decided I know everything about a certain genre, despite clearly having little experience with it, just because I've never been interested in said genre? See how I'm trying to justify said disinterest, despite it's being fairly baseless, by attempting to make it sound like this genre has nothing to offer ANYONE? It's kind of a dick move, isn't it? That's why you shouldn't do it.

Also, Bioshock. Play Bioshock.

HappyCastor

Feb 13, 2011
retyopy said:
HappyCastor said:
retyopy said:
HappyCastor said:
retyopy said:
HappyCastor said:
read the second edit.
I have.

Yes.

OT: Most games I play are FPS'es and I find most of them funny, at the very least, as they're unbelievably pathetic attempt at smart A.I. stare me lovingly in the face as I place bets on how long they'll last. And yeah, some are well put together and have actual characters and they're A.I. can actually be considered more than a very persistent bug.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
retyopy said:
zehydra said:
cool story bro.

I like FPS's. One of my favorite genres, other than the style of RPG that Oblivion/Morrowind and Fallout 3 are.
It is a cool story, huh?
"cool story bro" is kind of like a meme phrase.

Apr 24, 2008
I love them.

I especially like the part where you shoot the people, that's always good.

Games are just a few mechanics with a thematic paint-job that allow people to compete. The deeper the mechanics, the more wiggle room the controls allow you...the more there is to master, and the greater the difference between new and seasoned players. An FPS with good hit detection, no auto or assisted aiming, and an arsenal that allows for a few visibly different(but equally effective) strategies is about as good as competitive gaming is going to get, at least for the time-being.

The violence is also satisfying on a very basic level.

retyopy

Aug 6, 2011
HappyCastor said:
retyopy said:
HappyCastor said:
retyopy said:
HappyCastor said:
retyopy said:
HappyCastor said:
read the second edit.
I have.

Yes.

OT: Most games I play are FPS'es and I find most of them funny, at the very least, as they're unbelievably pathetic attempt at smart A.I. stare me lovingly in the face as I place bets on how long they'll last. And yeah, some are well put together and have actual characters and they're A.I. can actually be considered more than a very persistent bug.
Can you reccomend any? Not many people can beat me in an argument, and you have therefore earned my respect.

Jonesy911

Jul 6, 2009
I don't mind playing them while I'm at a mates house but I don't typically buy them myself. Exceptions being Half-Life and Deus Ex (not really a shooter though). Most just bore me, they seem too empty an experience. I grew up on the Playstation 1, my kinda games were RPGs, Fighting Games and Metal Gear Solid and they still are today.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
I love FPSes. They're like normal shooters, but they're in first person!
Actually, though, I've been playing a few FPSes to many recently, and am now indulging myself in stealth games, probably until RAGE comes out. Damn, I love Id Software.

retyopy

Aug 6, 2011
zehydra said:
retyopy said:
zehydra said:
cool story bro.

I like FPS's. One of my favorite genres, other than the style of RPG that Oblivion/Morrowind and Fallout 3 are.
It is a cool story, huh?
"cool story bro" is kind of like a meme phrase.
Look at my icon. Do I look like I care? No. No I don't.

Kebabas McSauce

Mar 23, 2010
Most FPS/TPS games are only fun if you play them online (with some exceptions like Red faction:guerrilla or Just cause). That's why majority of fps games focus on that aspect. The one's which don't or don't have multilayer at all suck horribly. You sound like someone who didn't play any fps online...