I hate to be the guy, but why the hate for COD?

Dr Jones

Join the Bob Dylan Fangroup!
Jun 23, 2010
Bobic said:
Oddly enough I think one of the best artistic gaming moments came from the COD series, the whole nuke scene in modern warfare 1.

Then again, that was when everyone loved COD. Before it became the game that, given its sales record, everyone and their dog must own.
I did just not care for the nuke scene. Felt nothing at it. I'm that kind of asshole, same as playing "Homfront" or stuff like that. I am completely effing cold to stuff like that, well then again i aint american, so that kind of ruins Homefront...

(prolly desensitized at a young age)..

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
I'm neutral on the game itself -- there's better games out there, but it can be a lot of fun if you have friends over. That said, I hate the business practices that Activision tends to use the series to introduce -- things like jacking up the price for the PC version of MW2, and at the same time dropping dedicated server support. If you look at the upcoming release list for the PC, most of the games now cost $60, because Activision proved that people would pay it with MW2. I'm afraid the same thing is going to happen with the new CoD Elite crap that they're trying to sell; if Activision proves that there are enough idiots who are willing to pay a subscription for something that should be free, we're going to see a lot more publishers hopping on that gravy train.

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
Dr Jones said:
bombadilillo said:
You asked why, not if it was a valid arguement. People hate the devs for falling into that trap too. More likely the publishers demanding games be like COD. But every time a new COD comes out and breaks a sales record it pisses me off because it reinforces the trend.
Please sir, that first line of your post delete it. Please. This is a forum, used to debate things, if i asked something and point out that your argument (imo) is invalid then i have every right to think and say so.

It still ain't Cod's fault that uninspired devs copy it. That's their choice. Y'know i think that they should make some more unique games, to break the mold. A little game was released some time ago in its alpha stage, now it's kind of popular, also just a small idea that hatched and grew. It's the copycat's fault, not the cat's.
OMG, really? You ask why people hate COD. That is a reason, it may be irrational but it is a reason people hate the series, which is what you asked for.

Did you know people hate Jews? They have reasons for this. These reasons are irrational.
If you asked me why people hate Jews and I told you their beliefs. You would not answer "Thats not a valid arguement so it cannot be it" Same thing here.

You got what you asked for then whined about it.

Zac Smith

Apr 25, 2010
Trolls need something, because CoD seems to be the shizzle and best thing since sliced bread, that's the target

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
Dr Jones said:
Sooo... Why hate on a cash cow, brah? 99% of all games are cash grabs (statistic may not be true), Duke Nukem, well sure 2K may find it fun to a degree, but lemme tell you, they bought it for the name! They know it will sell! Fallout is beginning to become a cash grab.. Pretty much every game with a major publisher is a cash grab.
I would like to think of a cash cow as a game purely designed on making money, with little added value, usually by copying another game or concept (including some sequels). Also a lot of movie2games are cash cows. Only made to milk out the brand even further.

COD = 1000% cash cow (yes a 1000)
Dead Space 2 = Dead Space 1 and thus also a cash cow

By that logic you could argue that Fallout NV is a cash cow. But even though Fallout NV is more of the same (as Fallout 3). It's still better and it's still a massive game. So, I would rather call it a worthy sequel.

Yes, sometimes it isn't all that clear were the line is drawn. A cash cow is not always an absolute concept.

senordesol

Oct 12, 2009
Dr Jones said:
Bobic said:
Oddly enough I think one of the best artistic gaming moments came from the COD series, the whole nuke scene in modern warfare 1.

Then again, that was when everyone loved COD. Before it became the game that, given its sales record, everyone and their dog must own.
I did just not care for the nuke scene. Felt nothing at it. I'm that kind of asshole, same as playing "Homfront" or stuff like that. I am completely effing cold to stuff like that, well then again i aint american, so that kind of ruins Homefront...

(prolly desensitized at a young age)..
I gotta say, I really thought the nuke scene was quite interesting in that it was a bold divergence from shooter tropes. When it happened I was thinking 'OK here we go. Chopper's gonna crash, I'm going to be the only survivor, and I'm going to have to fight my way through a horde of bad guys by myself. Yep...OK, here we go...and...oh...really? That's...that's actually pretty cool.'

Dr Jones

Jun 23, 2010
bombadilillo said:
OMG, really? You ask why people hate COD. That is a reason, it may be irrational but it is a reason people hate the series, which is what you asked for.

Did you know people hate Jews? They have reasons for this. These reasons are irrational.
If you asked me why people hate Jews and I told you their beliefs. You would not answer "Thats not a valid arguement so it cannot be it" Same thing here.

Oh god, you dummy... I made an argument against yours.. Then you shoot me down saying "I delivered me answer" and just leave. You must be like a supreme debater. Y'know dont even reply, there is no reason if you're not gonna debate with me or anyone..

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
bombadilillo said:
Short singleplayer what clearly shows the game emphesises multiplayer
I get the short singleplayer complaint, but is there anything wrong with emphasising a game's multiplayer? That's what people will probably spend most of their time on.

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
Bobic said:

You nailed it there. The nuke scene was the best moment of the game. And back then COD was still good... not great, but good.

klasbo

Nov 17, 2009
Dr Jones said:
So yeah.. Why the immense hate for one of the best selling videogame franchises ever?
Because this.

And if you have time to spend, there are more reasons here.

Basically: The CoD games have moved away from fast reflexes, aim and and anticipation/extrapolation/"where will the enemies be in 30 seconds" skill, and ahs replaced this with campish, spamish, aimbot-in-the-sky-helicopter gameplay.
Messiah Complex has said this better than most people, so go click that first link.

Dr Jones

Jun 23, 2010
senordesol said:
I gotta say, I really thought the nuke scene was quite interesting in that it was a bold divergence from shooter tropes. When it happened I was thinking 'OK here we go. Chopper's gonna crash, I'm going to be the only survivor, and I'm going to have to fight my way through a horde of bad guys by myself. Yep...OK, here we go...and...oh...really? That's...that's actually pretty cool.'
Well i would probably have found it more shocking if the whole web started yelling about it. Srsly only reason not to know it and get the game after release is living under a rock.
But ya, the dead protagonist was kinda cool (until MW2 decided that EVERYONE had to die)..

Dr Jones

Jun 23, 2010
klasbo said:
Dr Jones said:
So yeah.. Why the immense hate for one of the best selling videogame franchises ever?
Because this.

Basically: The CoD games have moved away from fast reflexes, aim and and anticipation/extrapolation/"where will the enemies be in 30 seconds" skill, and ahs replaced this with campish, spamish, aimbot-in-the-sky-helicopter gameplay.
Messiah Complex has said this better than most people, so go click that first link.
I could not bring myself to read it all, but he did have some valid arguments (with the level issues and stuff).

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
Dr Jones said:
bombadilillo said:

Oh god, you dummy... I made an argument against yours.. Then you shoot me down saying "I delivered me answer" and just leave. You must be like a supreme debater. Y'know dont even reply, there is no reason if you're not gonna debate with me or anyone..
Oh man, such a dummy reading a post asking for ereasons people hate a game and the giving reasons. Only to be told thats not a reason.

Was your post, Convince me COD sucks?

Oh it wasnt? Then maybe you shouldnt attack people for giving you an answer to your question. "don't use that arguement" "delete you post" are not polite debating phrases you know?

Your missing the point of that arguement and the whole thing. You cant just pretent something isnt a reason for peoples hate because you disagree with the arguement.

Sad and narrowminded.

Vault boy Eddie

Feb 18, 2009
Can't people just be sick of playing the same game over and over? This is coming from someone that has played and finished all of them. Didn't buy MW2 tho, nor will I buy MW3. Sure, it might be the best selling game blah blah blah, its still the same game since like CoD3 and the trailers for MW3 made me think I clicked on a trailer for MW2. Not everyone is "hating" for the sake of hating, and to think otherwise is simple minded. Just in case, i'm not saying that you are OP.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
I have 4 issues with the game:

1. The game is good, but never great. Despite this, every game reviewer in the world gives it a 10 (when it deserves about an 8) and tells everyone it is the video game manifestation of Christ.

2. The game does nothing interesting, new, or imaginative, so it's wild success encourages developers to continue making the same game over and over and to never risk money on something actually new and interesting.

3. The game, or rather the culture surrounding the game, reinforces negative stereotypes about Americans being ignorant gun toting idiots that don't know the difference between Asia and Africa.

4. The wild success of COD4, MW, etc. takes revenue from other more deserving and innovative games.

Other than that the game is fine. I don't hate the game, I hate what it represents and what it has caused.

GraveeKing

Nov 15, 2009
Over-done as hell, stupidly popular, terribly over-rated, multiplayer has had addons which are comparable to notch updating minecraft rather than a brand new release of a game.

The list could go on for a while.... I really dislike that game.

klausaidon

Aug 4, 2009
Ok, this really annoys me. Whats the problem with CoD's story? Its to short? No its not. Its no longer, or shorter then any other shooter I've played. Halo is about the same length, give or take. And the story itself? What is BAD about it? Can some people please give me specific details on what is wrong with the story?

See, I can give specifics about why I think FF13's story was bad.
It assumed you cared about the characters from the start.
It only pushed the story through cut scenes, and had tad bits of boring game play in between, instead of taking advantage of the fact that its a game to tell the story through game play.
The beginning felt like a lot of back story was missing. I suppose this information would be revealed later in the game, but it just made me wonder if I missed a prequel.
Apparently it got more interesting a few hours in, but I wasn't going to wait a few hours for a game/story to get interesting. It should somehow catch my interest in the beginning, so I care enough to actually stay with it.

These, are specific reasons to dislike a story. No one ever gives specific reasons why they hate the CoD story. It is what it is. A straight forward action story.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
The "I hate it because it's popular" angle usually applies because people tend to shun that which is constantly in their face so to speak. CoD comes out yearly like a sports game, and thus people will be constantly seeing it everywhere. That's a problem. That's never happened to a shooter before, it devalues the series and shows how throwaway it's become.

That reason alone is valid. For things that are normally known to take years of development in order to be good (these games are technically still taking years, since there are two separate dev teams making them) are coming out every year. We aren't used to games coming that often.

CoD used to be the decent restaurant down the street. Now it's McDonalds.

klasbo

Nov 17, 2009
Dr Jones said:
klasbo said:
Dr Jones said:
Because this.

I could not bring myself to read it all, but he did have some valid arguments (with the level issues and stuff).
Just to add an extra note: This (CoD-ification of FPS games) is why a large portion of the best FPS players out there (I'm talking amateur and professional players, not your average "skilled" joe) have seriously high hopes for Brink, and if that fails, BF3.
But BF3 will fail, too. After the shitshow that was Bad Company 2, I see no way they can salvage the genre.