I HAVE BECOME MY FATHER!!!

ClockworkPenguin

Mar 29, 2012
To the extent that several of my parents friends and most of the old folk at church often accidentally call me by my Dad's name. I don't mind though, my Dad's a sound guy and there are much worse people to turn into.

Mersadeon

Jun 8, 2010
I can't remember or find who said it: "There are two male tragedies: becoming your father, or not."

So, well, I wouldn't like being like my father. But at least physically, I am - and about once a month I hear "when you do X, you look just like your father". I don't know how, but in the few years he was actually there I somehow took almost all mannerisms and movements from him. I sit like him, gesticulate like him, bind my shoes like him. It's odd.

Also, I try to take a concious effort to not become a grumpy old guy - I try to see things from other people's perspective and even if I don't understand or like something, I try to still tolerate it. Sure I don't like a lot of mainstream music, but that doesn't mean it's bad - art can't be objectively good or bad anyway. It's just a different taste. The younger generation isn't dumber than mine or the one before, we simply see more of their stupidity due to increased media coverage, and besides, humanity has complained about the younger generation being the worst since the dawn of time.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
I'm becoming more like my mother actually, which is worrying for a male. Then again my mum has always been the man in my parents' relationship!

I find myself saying things like:

"What's wrong with kids today? No respect!"
"Where have the last ten years gone?"
"I'm sure this (insert product name) has got smaller."

I'm 25 and I don't drink, smoke, eat meat, do drugs, party etc. I'm so boring and conservative that I've gone beyond grown up!

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Physically speaking, I do look a lot like my dad (and I inhereted my mom's skin color), so I definitely don't mind about that.

However... well, my dad is absolutely a great guy, but... he's not very bright... and sometimes I wonder if I'll inherit that "trait" (if I haven't already) and/or it'll get worse over the years :S

Adept Mechanicus

Oct 14, 2012
In the Zero Punctuation review of Lego City Undercover, there's a line when he says, "What kid would understand a reference from the first Matrix film?" I was 3 years old when the Matrix came out, and a large part of my childhood was spent trying to find a way to get around my parents (and the law) in order to watch the Matrix because everything I knew about it suggested it was fucking awesome. And it was. This movie, which was a huge part of my early life, now exists as nothing more than an outdated pop culture reference.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
The oppressive reality of death always lingers beneath every waking thought, every waking action we make. It is only when we slow down our daily living that the hard, cruel and cold certainty of our own mortality strikes us full force in the abdomen, leading to angst, dread, and a sinking feeling that all our plans and thoughts and actions are as meaningless as Shakespeare is to ants.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
Adept Mechanicus said:
In the Zero Punctuation review of Lego City Undercover, there's a line when he says, "What kid would understand a reference from the first Matrix film?" I was 3 years old when the Matrix came out, and a large part of my childhood was spent trying to find a way to get around my parents (and the law) in order to watch the Matrix because everything I knew about it suggested it was fucking awesome. And it was. This movie, which was a huge part of my early life, now exists as nothing more than an outdated pop culture reference.
Where do you live? MPAA ratings in the US are not enforce by law. It is like the ESRB, it is a ratings and standards board put together by the private film industry.

Alcamonic

Jan 6, 2010
When I cut off my ponytail I realized in shock that my hair and beard made me look very much like my father during the same age.
I do not really act like my father though, well maybe sometimes.

It was quite a shock though when I realized that my ex acted like my mother. FREUD! NOOO!

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
My dad ruined his back as a teenager fresh out of highschool, first job out. The worst spinal problems I've had were the result of a car accident and temporary at that. I'm a half foot + shorter than him and don't have his ridiculously out of proportion hands so I can use a computer and play a saxophone. He stays clean shaved, I do not. Our only real similarity is in hairline and eyebrows, maybe other facial features. When I develop severe health problems due to overworking my body (not likely), then I might start to turn into him. Lessons such as this and staying away from cigarettes/alcohol/other vices are hard-learned on your own. I learned through observation.

Playful Pony

Clop clop!
Sep 11, 2012
Well, my dad IS my hero, but that doesn't mean I want to be like him X3. I was hoping to turn out a bit more... feminine. Not that I'm doing a great job; I sometimes feel I'm more manly than my actual male friends! I guess I did become a bit older once I bought my crappy old house 2 years ago. It's from the early 60's and had barely seen a paint bucket since before I moved in, so a LOT of work needed and still needs to be done.

I always feel old when I shake my head at the young kids with their iPhones, caps with gold stickers on, and jeans so tight they make stockings look like cargo pants. iPhones for 8-year-olds... My first phone was given to me in my teenage years and didn't even have a color display! EVERYTHING WAS BETTER BEFORE WAAARGH!

thaluikhain said:
Do you keep a particular stick or piece of woof around to stir tins of paint? Cause people say that's when it makes you your father.
No... NO! NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Zombie Sodomy

Feb 14, 2013
I've pretty much been my dad since I was a little kid. We like the same films and music, have the same sense of humor, look the same and everything. My dad has never said anything along the lines of "kids these days" and when someone does he is the first to remind them that they sound just like their parents. He's more outgoing and likes sports, but aside from that we are pretty much the same.

Adept Mechanicus

Oct 14, 2012
Amir Kondori said:
Adept Mechanicus said:
Where do you live? MPAA ratings in the US are not enforce by law. It is like the ESRB, it is a ratings and standards board put together by the private film industry.
I don't think I knew that at the time. I think I thought the MPAA was a government agency with no actual power to enforce its decisions.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
I'm 24 but I've been 50 for about 8 years. Never understood the need to have music so loud the whole street can hear it, never understood the party or classing a good night out as one you can't remember. Never thought of theme parks as wild places, never did anything to fit in (smoking or drinking).

Just never really had the teenager experience of all night partying and waking up next to strangers. I've always been the responsible, reliable type AKA the most boring fuck... To be honest I feel I am doing myself a great injustice.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Adept Mechanicus said:
This movie, which was a huge part of my early life, now exists as nothing more than an outdated pop culture reference.
And thank God for that.

I'm pretty sure I'll never end up like my parents. I'm pretty sure my father has Aspergers (the real kind, not internet Aspergers) and my mom's a complete and utter narcissist. I'm only slightly narcissistic--I recognise the world does not revolver around me, I just wonder why not. >.>

I am, however, old before my time. And still, somehow, quite immature.

Ashhearth

May 26, 2009
To be completely honest being like my parents is gonna pretty tough seeing as I'm in school for game design and they didn't even have computer games at my age :D As far as maturity goes I kinda think I've been close to (and getting closer) to what my mom is. Serious and casual most of the time but willing to pull out the cynicism when its needed. Over all I see nothing bad with growing up... its fun and we don't know whats gonna happen and that makes it exciting to me.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
I wouldn't mind becoming my father. At least the man has a sense of maturity and responsibility while I'm 24 going on 7. I'm well aware I need to get my shit together and get my life on tra-

OOOOOOOOOOH SHINEY!!!!

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Proverbial Jon said:
I'm becoming more like my mother actually, which is worrying for a male. Then again my mum has always been the man in my parents' relationship!

I find myself saying things like:

"What's wrong with kids today? No respect!"
"Where have the last ten years gone?"
"I'm sure this (insert product name) has got smaller."

I'm 25 and I don't drink, smoke, eat meat, do drugs, party etc. I'm so boring and conservative that I've gone beyond grown up!
I recognise myself quite alot in those quotes. I like to grumble when I look at all the new and useless pygmy food in the shops. I also love reading the paper, alone, and complain and whine loudly as I go through it.

I must confess, when something's been exceptionaly disagreeable, I have flown up, thrown the paper to the floor, shouting "SCANDAL!! Is some law and order too much to ask, is it?!"

The cats find it amusing, at least.

BruceBeer

Oct 10, 2013
I wish I could become my father, that guy was awesome, all I need to do is grow a moustache and scare the incoming baby with it, I've already got the "talking to the computer" part down pat so I'm all set.

Ryleh

Jul 21, 2013
Working a job where you have to ID people is a quick way to feel old. When you start asking people for ID and it turns out they're say, 23.

Either that or going to a bar on a Saturday night, wondering why everyone looks like high school kids, then getting told by the DJ that he can't play the song you requested because "old school stuff" drives people out of the establishment.