I just bought Demons' Souls. Any tips?

Gurgleflob

Jun 29, 2012
So after having a slight interest in the Souls series since the first one came out, saw it for $20 at the store and got it. Now, I have a disability called DCD. This mainly inhibits my motor functions, and i am slightly prone to sensor overloads. Needless to say, I suck. Hard. Does anyone have any tips or strategies to make it a little bit easier on me? Things like seperating enemies, and what weapons work against what opponents will do. it gets to where if there are too many opponents on screen, or something happens that hasn't happened before and I need to process how to deal with it, I freeze, and I die. Basically things that are part of the game, but the game doesn't tell you.

Also, I fucking love it. The levels are designed so that if you die, it's your fault, damn it. Is the sequel just as good? I just saw it at the store and was debating whether to pick it up or not.

buttfucker911

Jan 21, 2013
You have a controller right? If not get one immediately. Don't try to be a tough guy and muddle through with a mouse and KB, especially if you have conditions.

The starting classes only matter for the first couple hours and after you put some points in soul levels they all blur together, plus you can get any classes starting gear later on, but good choices are Priest or Pyromancer. Don't pick Deprived, it's supposed to be a challenge class for veterans or something. You can get most of the starting gifts elsewhere in the game too, except the Master Key, so I recommend that.

There is a good amount of character customization (especially given that this is a Japanese game) but you'll start the game looking like beef jerky and spend most of the game that way so don't sweat it too much.

Other than that, go slow, use your shield, watch your stamina, and have fun dying! It's part of the game, and much of the satisfaction comes from learning how to murder the dudes who were handing you your ass just an hour ago. Don't rely on guides too much either!

One last thing, don't run around everywhere Hollowed! There's lots of special NPC invasions that you'll miss if you're never in human form, and lots of people wanting to do multiplayer but can't find any live people to summon then *cough*. If you have 5 or more humanities saved up, unhollow yourself at a bonfire and have a little fun.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
Well you can kill most enemies rather easily by attacking with a bow from outside their aggro range. And if you are having trouble with the bosses almost all of them have a cheap trick which you can use to beat them (look up the Demon's Souls wiki for info).

The best weapon for early in the game is the winged spear as you can block and attack with it at the same time. Although it tends to be ineffective against bosses. Also always make sure that your equipment burden is less than half it's max. that way you get much more mobility which is incredibly important (more so then the damage reduction you get from heavier armor).

As for Dark Souls it is better in most ways than Demon's Souls and definitely worth picking up. Make sure to buy the Prepare to Die edition though as it includes the small expansion.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
buttfucker911 said:
You have a controller right? If not get one immediately. Don't try to be a tough guy and muddle through with a mouse and KB, especially if you have conditions.

The starting classes only matter for the first couple hours and after you put some points in soul levels they all blur together, plus you can get any classes starting gear later on, but good choices are Priest or Pyromancer. Don't pick Deprived, it's supposed to be a challenge class for veterans or something. You can get most of the starting gifts elsewhere in the game too, except the Master Key, so I recommend that.

There is a good amount of character customization (especially given that this is a Japanese game) but you'll start the game looking like beef jerky and spend most of the game that way so don't sweat it too much.

Other than that, go slow, use your shield, watch your stamina, and have fun dying! It's part of the game, and much of the satisfaction comes from learning how to murder the dudes who were handing you your ass just an hour ago. Don't rely on guides too much either!

One last thing, don't run around everywhere Hollowed! There's lots of special NPC invasions that you'll miss if you're never in human form, and lots of people wanting to do multiplayer but can't find any live people to summon then *cough*. If you have 5 or more humanities saved up, unhollow yourself at a bonfire and have a little fun.
Didn't he say demons's souls? None of that applies .

OT : be a mage, sell all boss souls for magic . Farm the tower for mana healing items . Soul spear everything to death.

Skops

Mar 9, 2010
I think this glitch still works, and it is very helpful. In character creation you have 10 slots. Make 10 characters and then use the first one. While playing be sure to buy a Bottomless Box. Continue playing the game until you feel like you basically have hit a brick wall (Or get the Drake Sword) and stock up on Soul Items. Put everything into the Bottomless Box, quit the game back to the character creation. Do not delete the character you were just using, but overwrite him making a new character (I go with Deprived).

Play the game normally until you buy a Bottomless box, once you have it go to any bonfire and you find everything from your PREVIOUS CHARACTER is still in there, giving you proper weaponry, soul items to level yourself up, whatever armor you were wearing etc.

You can do this endlessly with each class and at any point in the game. It's a bit tedious because you're restarting the game over and over again, but you are getting stronger each time. It also helps in setting up perfect builds like a Simon Belmont character.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
Skopintsev said:
I think this glitch still works, and it is very helpful. In character creation you have 10 slots. Make 10 characters and then use the first one. While playing be sure to buy a Bottomless Box. Continue playing the game until you feel like you basically have hit a brick wall (Or get the Drake Sword) and stock up on Soul Items. Put everything into the Bottomless Box, quit the game back to the character creation. Do not delete the character you were just using, but overwrite him making a new character (I go with Deprived).

Play the game normally until you buy a Bottomless box, once you have it go to any bonfire and you find everything from your PREVIOUS CHARACTER is still in there, giving you proper weaponry, soul items to level yourself up, whatever armor you were wearing etc.

You can do this endlessly with each class and at any point in the game. It's a bit tedious because you're restarting the game over and over again, but you are getting stronger each time. It also helps in setting up perfect builds like a Simon Belmont character.
Demons' Souls, my friend. Demons' Souls! :-D

Don't worry, people have made the same mistake as you, like me. I've never played Demons' Souls, so I can't give any advice. Originally I wrote a good sized chunk to help the OP, but then I realized he was talking about Demons' , not Dark.

Edit- Heck yes, get Dark Souls. It's a little more fair and open to the player, so I think that you should pick it up as well. And get the Prepare to Die edition, it nets you the DLC as well. The DLC is very, very awesome and worth the extra USD.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Don't try doing one area at a time, you'll need to go to other areas and progress through them a bit before you can go back and complete other areas, I've spoilered the optimal route through the game for you:

1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, 4-1, 4-2, 4-3, 3-1, 3-2, 3-3, 5-1, 1-3, 5-2, 5-3, 1-4

There are also a lot of weapons hidden about, you should really explore around and try to find them.

Finally, when you fight the skeletons try to lure them one at a time and when they attack dodge past them and hit them in the back, drawing the attention of more than one of them can easily cost you your life.

marcooos

Shit Be Serial Cray
Nov 18, 2009
Go for a dex or magic build, demon's souls has nothing but contempt for heavy armour melee classes. Also turn the brightness up on your TV the game is way to fucking dark.

Quicksilver_Phoenix

Apr 14, 2009
marcooos said:
Go for a dex or magic build, demon's souls has nothing but contempt for heavy armour melee classes. Also turn the brightness up on your TV the game is way to fucking dark.
I must be really good then. I took heavy armour and a strength build, and I managed fine.

OT: Don't drop any of the shards/chunks of rocks that you find; you'll need them for weapon upgrades even though they're heavy.

If you're a melee class, make sure to get at least one spell or a crossbow. They're invaluable for pulling enemies one at a time to separate them or on certain bosses.

I found that the easiest way to progress was to do the first boss of each area, then the second and so on and so forth.

Make sure to equip your Thief's Ring at all times; you'll often avoid ambushes because of it.

The Uchigatana is a fairly solid weapon (in my opinion) that gives you a choice between slash or stab attacks.

Repair your equipment whenever you find yourself in the nexus.

Above all else, remember that this is a game with an inverse difficulty curve (like The Witcher 2). The early levels can be really punishing, but I found the final bosses of some of the zones to be a complete joke compared to the bosses before them.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
If it is anything like dark souls, you will rarely be fighting more than 1 enemy anyway since they are pretty much balanced for duels and as soon as they outnumber you, you're quite dead unless you run so I wouldn't worry about getting overwhelmed by enemy numbers.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
marcooos said:
Contempt is too kind a word for the way it treats heavy armour tanks.

I managed to be a kind of battle mage with heavy armour and a spear but it took a lot, and I mean A LOT of grinding to be able to get enough dexterity to not die all the time.

as somebody above said, ranged attacks work very well indeed for dealing with most threats in the game, melee and heavy armour tend to get you killed by virtue of not being able to get out of the way fast enough.

marcooos

Shit Be Serial Cray
Nov 18, 2009
Quicksilver_Phoenix said:
marcooos said:
I must be really good then. I took heavy armour and a strength build, and I managed fine.

OT: Don't drop any of the shards/chunks of rocks that you find; you'll need them for weapon upgrades even though they're heavy.

If you're a melee class, make sure to get at least one spell or a crossbow. They're invaluable for pulling enemies one at a time to separate them or on certain bosses.

I found that the easiest way to progress was to do the first boss of each area, then the second and so on and so forth.

Make sure to equip your Thief's Ring at all times; you'll often avoid ambushes because of it.

The Uchigatana is a fairly solid weapon (in my opinion) that gives you a choice between slash or stab attacks.

Repair your equipment whenever you find yourself in the nexus.

Above all else, remember that this is a game with an inverse difficulty curve (like The Witcher 2). The early levels can be really punishing, but I found the final bosses of some of the zones to be a complete joke compared to the bosses before them.
Don't get me wrong its doable but unlike Dark Souls the majority of the bosses and enemies are all centered around mobility or fucking them at range, Plus with the carry cap having a heavy tank build limits what you can carry on you.

Skops

Mar 9, 2010
thesilentman said:
My bad, it's just whenever somebody starts talking about the Souls series, I assume Dark because it's more widely known and also has a sequel coming out.

In the case of Demon's Soul's. There is a much easier way of duplicating soul/stone items, though I can't quite remember it. Something about teleporting to the Nexus hub, while already in the Nexus.. I forget, but anyway basic tips of Demon's Souls!:

- Soul Form makes your attacks 10% stronger, you cannot be invaded by other players, your footsteps cannot be heard by enemies, you also are less visible to enemies. The only real con to Soul Form is the health meter decrease by 50% (though increased to 70% if you have a cling ring). Soul Form is the best way to play the game if you're thinking Solo all the way.

- Black/White world tendency is important. White makes enemies easier, but they drop less items. Black makes enemies stronger but better items are dropped more often. Black Phantoms are also present in Black World. Killing Phantoms, helping NPCs, and defeating Bosses increases tendency to White tendency, while killing NPCs and dying in Body Form increases to Black tendency. Some mini-bosses like the Executioner are only available in certain tendencies.

- Keep several types of weapons and upgrade each with different stones (Sharpstone, Black Moonstone, etc). This varies your weapons for several different situations.

- Magic. Get Some. Magic is overpowered in Demon's Souls. When you get Fire Storm Spell, well, you'll know why.

- Kill Yurt the Silent Chief when you meet him. Best way is to push him off the high ledge. After you do this, leave the level, and come back to where you found him, you'll find his full armor set there and it's awesome.

RadioactiveMicrobe

Mar 1, 2009
Learn how to phonetically pronounce the title without tripping over yourself. The game congratulates you by giving you unlimited health.

Quicksilver_Phoenix

Apr 14, 2009
marcooos said:
Don't get me wrong its doable but unlike Dark Souls the majority of the bosses and enemies are all centered around mobility or fucking them at range, Plus with the carry cap having a heavy tank build limits what you can carry on you.
All fair points. Certain bosses (like the Tower Knight) did force me to use magic to kill him, as I wasn't fast enough to avoid his attacks in armour. But, I guess, that's part of the game. No matter how you build your characters, there will always be something you're really good at and something you will find hard. There will never truly be a best way to play, just whatever works most for you.

Skopintsev said:
- Magic. Get Some. Magic is overpowered in Demon's Souls. When you get Fire Storm Spell, well, you'll know why.

- Kill Yurt the Silent Chief when you meet him. Best way is to push him off the high ledge. After you do this, leave the level, and come back to where you found him, you'll find his full armor set there and it's awesome.
These are also very good points. On my second character (a mage), I actually one shot the Dirty Colossus with Firestorm. It's highly OP.

Killing Yurt is also important. It may seem mean to kill a guy unprovoked, but if you let him live he will systematically murder every NPC in the Nexus before coming after you.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Gurgleflob said:
So after having a slight interest in the Souls series since the first one came out, saw it for $20 at the store and got it. Now, I have a disability called DCD. This mainly inhibits my motor functions, and i am slightly prone to sensor overloads. Needless to say, I suck. Hard. Does anyone have any tips or strategies to make it a little bit easier on me? Things like seperating enemies, and what weapons work against what opponents will do. it gets to where if there are too many opponents on screen, or something happens that hasn't happened before and I need to process how to deal with it, I freeze, and I die. Basically things that are part of the game, but the game doesn't tell you.

Also, I fucking love it. The levels are designed so that if you die, it's your fault, damn it. Is the sequel just as good? I just saw it at the store and was debating whether to pick it up or not.
In world 1-1, search for Thief's ring and Cling Ring and equip them both. Do not advance until you find them.

In particular boss fights, know when to lock on target (R3) and not to lock on. I've taken heavy damages because I forgot to cancel the lock on and run away when it was doing heavy area damage.

Also.. everytime you kill a boss and get your body back, go back to Nexus (AND NEXUS ONLY)and commit suicide which will have you lose your body and go back to soul form. It's strange but it'll make the game easier. For specifics, google World Tendency.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Sorry to say I haven't played much of Demon's Souls, so my advice will come from Dark Souls mainly (which, in response to your query, is definitely just as good). Learn to parry, learn to backstab, get a good shield, get Firestorm eventually (magic), and be wary of black/white tendancy. White's easier but black's better for items as far as I know.

ginty2

The Shadow Premier
Dec 16, 2008
I would say, unless you like pvp, stay in spirit form. go offline if you want to change your world tendency, at least that worked for me.