I just finished watching Scott Pilgrim

fangsandflames3133

Mar 9, 2011
It is at least very, very manga inspired. Don't believe it...read this....

Interest: Scott Pilgrim Creator Talks About Manga Inspirations
posted on 2010-08-06 21:42 EDT
Sailor Moon, Ranma 1/2, Range Murata were Bryan Lee O'Malley's early influences

In an interview with manga.about.com's Deb Aoki, Scott Pilgrim creator Bryan Lee O'Malley spoke about the manga and anime that influenced his work. He cited Sailor Moon as his entry point, watching it on television with his younger sister. He then recalled buying "floppies" of Ranma 1/2, which Viz Media (then called Viz Communications) released in comic book-style single-chapter volumes.

O'Malley also discussed the difficulties of being a manga-influenced creator in North America. Asked how he was able to "escape the label of being an 'original English language manga creator'" O'Malley recalled reading a post on a forum in which a user complained about Scott Pilgrim being shelved with manga. He suggested that the shelving was due more to the trim size of the books than the content, which he said was intentional. Having once tried to emulate the style of artists like Range Murata (Last Exile, Blue Submarine No. 6) and Tsukasa Kotobuki (Saber Marionette J), he decided he didn't have the technical proficiency for it. He then joked that he could be like Rumiko Takahashi, if he "[had] 15 assistants like she does!"

Scott Pilgrim is currently available in 13 languages, but according to O'Malley, agents are only now attempting to get the series licensed in Japan. Throughout the rest of the interview O'Malley spoke about the origins of the Scott Pilgrim movie, comparisons to superhero comics, and advice for would-be comics creators.

Bryan Lee O'Malley has been active in the North American manga scene, drawing a cover of Viz Media's magazine Shojo Beat and commenting on Tokyopop's controversial Manga Pilot Program pact.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2010-08-06/scott-pilgrim-creator-talks-about-manga-inspirations

Ravek

Aug 6, 2009
fangsandflames3133 said:
Love it. But I was already huge fan of the manga (graphic novel for the uninformed). If you liked the movie you should definitely check them out! :)
It's not a manga, it's not Japanese.

godfist88

Dec 17, 2010
it totally took my by surprise, I thought it was really entertaining. i liked it so much i bought both the game and the graphic novels the movie was based on. both were just as awesome.

000jinx

Mar 8, 2011
Faladorian said:
Michael Cera's in it...

I'm not touching that movie with a ten-foot pole. He's terrible.
Yeah he doesn't do anything for me either, but in it or not it's a great movie. It's kinda like Nurse Jackie like that, at least for me. I think back to watching Scott Pilgrim and the best things I remember about don't involve Scott Pilgrim... just like Nurse Jackie.

Stealthygamer

Apr 25, 2010
10/10 seen it 5 times watched all commentary tracks and every special feature, best original geek movie since TRON

Hectix777

Feb 26, 2011
I f****** loved it! Best romance movie I ever watched, and yes it is a romance because Scott fights for the veil of his dreams in the name of love. It's a shame there hasn't been news of a sequel and they gave us an 'And the Adventure continues,' kinda endings. You know the kind, where the story is all wrapped up in a pretty red bow but than we get to see our characters going on to new adventures or do go on a new adventure leaving us with little closure and a lot of want. I'm hoping the writer creates a sequel to Scott Pilgrim featuring Scott in his college years so I can figure out how he became friends with Wallace, why he can't remember anything, what he went to college for, and maybe why there is a trans-spatial highway in his brain the soon becomes the shortcut to his delivery girlfriend's routes. That or we get to see the adventures of Scott Pilgrim's son in college. I'm kinda sad that some characters didn't get the backstory or time they got in the comic. Me, I loved the movie, the comic, and the Vegan Police

Hectix777

Feb 26, 2011
Ravek said:
fangsandflames3133 said:
Love it. But I was already huge fan of the manga (graphic novel for the uninformed). If you liked the movie you should definitely check them out! :)
It's not a manga, it's not Japanese.
It Canadian! From Candia! I mean Canada

Stealthygamer

Apr 25, 2010
Hectix777 said:
I'm hoping the writer creates a sequel to Scott Pilgrim featuring Scott in his college years so I can figure out how he became friends with Wallace, why he can't remember anything
Why he can't remember anything is explained in volume 6

Ham Blitz

May 28, 2009
I enjoyed the movie, but I enjoyed the graphic novels even more. Granted I read those 3 months ago or so (After I saw the movie)

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Loved it, have yet to meet someone who's seen it and not done so as well. Loved the style, the subtle and not-so-subtle effects in fight scenes, the humour, fight choreography, Ramona, everything. Saw it in the cinema, downloaded it and then bought the DVD!

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
Hosker said:
I didn't really like it very much.
Same here. I'm not going to bash it because it feels like I'd get a massive flame war against me, but overall I'd give it a star, maybe a star and a half.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
It was good, but not amazing. I don't see how retro gaming references suddenly make it Jesus' nipples. It had funny moments but it fell a bit flat sometimes.

Valdsator

May 7, 2009
It's my favorite movie. The fight scenes, while they had cheesy effects, were awesome. The effects just made it better, honestly.

The humor is awesome, too.

Hectix777

Feb 26, 2011
Stealthygamer said:
Hectix777 said:
I'm hoping the writer creates a sequel to Scott Pilgrim featuring Scott in his college years so I can figure out how he became friends with Wallace, why he can't remember anything
Why he can't remember anything is explained in volume 6
No like the events leading up to it. At least a short story about Wallace and Scott and the damned futon. But the best place to go from here is the POV of a son.

ItsAChiaotzu

Apr 20, 2009
How is this even worth making a thread over? You liked the movie? Big deal ... no one cares, if you have a score for it, then put it in the User Reviews section, it's dying anyway.

But seriously ... why?

TheFunPolice

Mar 29, 2011
I just kinda wanted to know what other people thought of it, and I didn't want to go about reading an extremely long review of the film and I'm not a member of any other forum

PowerC

Feb 28, 2011
TheFunPolice said:
So yeah I finally got round to watching it, I thought it was really quite good, good music, good actors and an amusing script, I'd rate it 4.5 out of 5. So did anybody else like it as much as I did?
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH, you still pumped full of sugar-coated adrenaline infused caffeine? TO answer you question it was awesome, my firefox persona is Scott Pilgrim, I have the book collection in the shelf under my TV, good for you