I just got a decent Smartphone! (Please recommend me some games)

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I got a smart phone waaaaaaaaaaaay back in 2012 and since it's been more than 4 years since then, I figured that it's high time I went and upgraded. So here I am in the here and now with a phone that can run decent mobile games! At the moment all I really know about that I can get that might be worth anything would be games like Hatfall, Puzzle and Dragons and, Wibble-Wobble. Can anybody recommend me some good, cheap (or free) games that work well on mobile? Other than the obligatory Pokemon Go of course...didn't Nether-Realms make a WWE/Mortal Kombat kind of game for Mobile? Is that any good?

TL;DR, check the title.

note: I'm one of those mutants who downloaded Miitomo so...if you wanna share a QR code so as to build up my pool of friends that would be neat. Just sayin'.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Uh... I believe KOTOR is free on Amazon's Underground program (Will have to do some weird stuff to install that).

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Terra Battle is a pretty good JRPG that utilizes the touch interface well for its battle system.

Plague Inc. is an excellent strategy game where you try to wipe out humanity by evolving a virus.

Temple Run 2 and One Epic Knight are both decent time wasters. One Epic Knight is the better of the two games, but I enjoy both of them. Robot Unicorn Attack plays different (more like a 2d platformer), but it is still an infinite runner that is a good time waster.

And then games like Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, and Cut the Rope all became popular early on for a reason.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
MysticSlayer said:
And then games like Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, and Cut the Rope all became popular early on for a reason.
I always really liked Fruit Ninja. Classic.

Guilion said:
I usually install Music Hero before installing anything else whenever I get a new phone (Basically a Guitar Hero clone that allows you to use your own music). Just please turn off your wi-fi and mobile data, otherwise the ads will give you a headache and sometimes will even render the app completely useless until the phone is restarted.
That sounds awesome and I'll have to download that if only to fulfill my wish/complaint about Rock Band: Japan never having happened.

Thanks so far for the suggestions!

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I recommend Surgeon Simulator on the grounds that it was funny to watch Markiplier screw up human anatomy. (There is a mobile version, yes.)

Zenja

Jan 16, 2013
Summoner's War is a dungeon crawler that offers a lot. As far as I am concerned it is the best designed mobile game I have played. I am not joking when I say that I actually made myself stop playing it because I had a bunch of games on my backlog I wanted to beat but I was spending all my time with a free mobile game.

Neonbob

The Noble Nuker
Dec 22, 2008
I've always enjoyed Monster Truck Destruction, but that's because I'm still 8 at heart.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I will never stop playing Puzzles and Dragons. Too much fun!

Also, download the humble bundle app and just keep buying games for it. It's basically Steam for Android.

ScaredScorpion

Mar 28, 2012
Assuming it's an Android phone. Monument Valley, Hitman GO, and Tomb Raider GO are some of my favourites.

Side-note: Hitman GO is currently in a mobile humble bundle with The Banner Saga (Didn't even know that was on Android)

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
If you've never played them on any other platform the two Seasons of Telltale's The Walking Dead are great Android ports with good touchscreen controls. The first season at least supports bluetooth controllers.

EMWISE94

Aug 22, 2013
I'd recommend Ridiculous Fishing, I recently bought it and its both challenging and fun.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
A GBA emulator and Advance Wars is always nice. Also, Crossy Road is simple but fun.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Shoggoth2588 said:
I got a smart phone waaaaaaaaaaaay back in 2012 and since it's been more than 4 years since then, I figured that it's high time I went and upgraded. So here I am in the here and now with a phone that can run decent mobile games! At the moment all I really know about that I can get that might be worth anything would be games like Hatfall, Puzzle and Dragons and, Wibble-Wobble. Can anybody recommend me some good, cheap (or free) games that work well on mobile? Other than the obligatory Pokemon Go of course...didn't Nether-Realms make a WWE/Mortal Kombat kind of game for Mobile? Is that any good?

TL;DR, check the title.

note: I'm one of those mutants who downloaded Miitomo so...if you wanna share a QR code so as to build up my pool of friends that would be neat. Just sayin'.
May I recommend a youtube channel called "gameranx" they often release videos about "the 10 best IOS/Andriod games of [insert month]", might pick up a few good games there.

Mike Richards

Nov 28, 2009
The mobile port of Max Payne is surprisingly badass. For being entirely touch based they nailed the controls, and I find it works well for short bursts if that's something you look for in a mobile game. If you're already a fan I'd say it get now with zero hesitation.

The GTA ports are also worth looking into. I have San Andreas and while the control isn't quite as solid as MP, it's still quite playable, and also, you know, its the entirety of San Andreas on a fucking phone.

If you've never heard of it, as it also has a PC version, Superbros. Swords and Sworcery EP is a bizarre but fascinating little fantasy epic, gives off a bit of a Shadow of the Colossus vibe at times but way stranger. Sort of a point and click adventure game but with more of an emphasis on exploration and simple combat, and it's got some absolutely gorgeous pixel art.

On the other hand if you wanna look into more of a classical, Lucasarts-type adventure you might wanna check out Gemini Rue. I haven't made a whole lot of progress yet but it's off to a great start, fantastic sci-fi noir atmosphere.

Also highly recommend KOTOR and Lego Star Wars Complete Saga. If you like either of those in their full sized form they're just as good here, basically no change.

Cold Shiny

May 10, 2015
Shadowverse is a free to play hearthstone knockoff, or at least it would be if not for the fact that its 10 times better than hearthstone. Fair warning, its an animu game, don't play it if that art style bothers you.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
From the top of my head (since I stil dont have my phone back from repairs):
Carmageddon,
Infinite Stairs (although I uninstalled it because it is becomign pay 2 win),
Doodle Jump.

I had a rhythm game installed on it aswel, it didn't came with its own music but instead used the music you had on the phone. Forgot the name sadly.

Thurston

Nov 1, 2007
I'm having fun with Fallout Shelter on PC. I'd suggest it for phone, except that I have no experience with it there.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Infinity Blade 1 and 2 is really fun, really beautiful game where you get into these pretty intense swordfights by dodging left and right by pressing buttons and attack by swiping. It might be low on content but its definitly no casual game. Big download though.