I just watched suckerpunch...

ThrobbingEgo

Nov 17, 2008
Mostly liked it because it made me hate Yoav's cover of Where is My Mind less.

I dunno. It was a dumb action movie with me as it's target demographic. I'll take it.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
<url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.273103-Marter-to-the-Movies-Sucker-Punch>I quite liked it.

Why? I can't remember much about it at this point, but I remember being overwhelmed visually, and that's all I really wanted. I also got caught up in the emotion of the story. And it was a fun film. So there's that, too.

aei_haruko

Jun 12, 2011
jackpackage200 said:
and why does everyone think it is great? Sure the visual effects were okay but the bad script and acting just ruined it for me
naaah, I liked it. I mean, yes it had cliches in it, bt A: it was good to watch because it was appealing visually ( the scenery was very nice and varied)
B: i liked how it wasnt a " were grounded in reality" movie, and how it was actually pretty imaginative
C: I liked how it seemed as tough there was connection between the girls, and ow it went through different levels of fantasy

Azure Knight-Zeo

Jun 7, 2010
Matthew Geskey said:
It wasn't bad (It's one of my favorites), it just is not what it appears. It's very deep, but it's all deep. If you don't want to go down and get the story, you will just see it as a sequence of music videos.
I don't consider "it's so deep, you probibly didn't understand it" as a legidimate argument in anything's favor. The same as how the liniarity in something like Far Cry 2 was an artistic move and not poor design from that artical awhile back. If it isn't fun to watch/play, than it isn't good.

I haven't seen SuckerPunch, this is just my outlook on how it's judged.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I tried watching it but the over sexualization and, the schizophrenic plot really put me out. I didn't get far enough to find the soundtrack interesting. The first time the fourth wall was broken, I turned off the DVD and went back to gaming.

Sharkeyes

Nov 19, 2011
The only thing I liked was the steam punk clockwork soldiers. They were all creapy and industrial looking. I just like that sorta crap I guess.

kaizen2468

Nov 20, 2009
I thought it was a good movie. Great music, chicks acted pretty good. Unique visuals. I rate it high.

Valthonis666

Nov 19, 2009
The package it was produced in was decent, cinematography and all that crap. Storyline is shit. I refuse to even condone the thought that something centered around a heinous act such as that, no matter what message it is trying to preach, is even worth PIRATING. It could be the second coming and the moment i see that intro again I'd turn it off and go Brain Bleach myself.

Its hard enough dealing with hearing about it IRL and not being able to do a thing about it, but now a movie has shown it, with the big bad guy being practically proven hes the bad guy... AND HE STILL FUCKIN WINS.... There is no re-evaluation to that. Thats not a sucker punch, thats an underhanded shot to the family jewels/female equivalent [i don't know whats the most sensitive point on their body /shrug]. IMO: Its shit. Everyone's Elses opinion can crawl into a hole and rot, it ain't changing mine.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I think it was okey, I don't know anything about acting so I'm skipping that part but the fight scenes were awesome and the girls outfits were awesome and the music was good too. I wouldn't say it was bad.

Drodgyn

Jul 9, 2008
I really enjoyed it, I won't say that it is a fantastic film, but it got the job done. One of my friends who came with me walked out saying it was terrible, but all of the rest of my friends who saw it liked it (though I think the rest of us are the target audience).

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
I was let down by the action scenes; they weren't good at all in my opinion. I would have watched it just for mindless explosions and shooting but it didn't even succeed in that.

Also, I found these shorts based on the enemies and to be honest, they look more interesting than the actual film.

This, make this a film!

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I liked it. Sure, it's pretty much all style without much substance, but it was a lot of fun to watch and I can't really fault any movie where hot girls fight steampunk germans with giant mecha or use a WW2 bomber to kill orks and dragons.

Then again, I like Terry Gilliam movies too. Especially Brazil, which pretty much did the same thing 30 years ago.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
Suckerwhat? Seriously, it came and went, and I haven't heard much of it since except Movie Bob's end-of-year recap. It was a bad movie. It was the kind of movie I would want to like, but it was just bad. Let it die.

generalvash

May 17, 2011
Xanadu84 said:
Sucker Punch is nothing if not polarizing. It is basically half a cheesy exploitation flick which was the weaker of the 2 halves, plastered over a very complex, post-modern drama that basically forces the watcher to criticize himself, rather viciously, and then get, "Sucker punched" by a seriously downer ending. If your willing to get jerked around like that, its flipping amazing.

The most important thing to remember is this: When the lights go down, and Babydoll starts her dance, she is, in that world, about to be ogled mindlessly in a tasteless fashion by people who care for little more then base titillation. Then, the section of the movie starts where we in the audience are doing THE SAME THING. The idea is that you re-evaluate your values, and what you view as entertainment. The name of the movie is so accurate, its amazing. Not only the characters, but the Audience to, will get some serious sucker punches.
This is the most in depth analysis I have ever seen for what I consider to be over-hyped tripe

Seriously, the only people that seem to get meaning out of this movie are the B.A. in English sort that look for meaning in EVERYTHING anyways. This movie was eye-candy pure and simple, the only way to enjoy it was to check your brain at the door.

LegoDudeGuy

Young punks, get off my lawn.
Jun 9, 2010
I like it.

I got to see it while my parents were watching their own movie.

Pretty much it went (for me anyway) like this:

Actors: Good (looking :p)

Script/Plot: Ok (Was better at some points more than others)

Locations/Sets: Awesome

Overall: Worth a movie ticket and if you did not see it in theaters, get it on DVD/BluRay/Digital Dload.

Also, BUNNY MECHS!!!

Blaze the Dragon

Jan 8, 2010
Honestly, it was basically a popcorn flick for me. I came in expecting to see some awesome action scenes involving crazy situations that combined concepts from Sci-fi, Fantasy, gaming, anime, etc., and I left satisfied. It's not the sort of thing you're supposed to think about for more than 5 minutes or you're doing it wrong. What's actually really funny is I was just thinking about putting it on a minute ago, just to watch those actiony bits again, when I saw this topic. It's just one of those crazy, roller coaster, over-the-top movies that you can put on if you need to entertain yourself for a little while.