I like Navi

Grand_Arcana

Aug 5, 2009
I hate Star Ocean 3. . . yeah, I said it! Why the hell is it called Star Ocean when most of the game is spent on a backwater Standard Fantasy Setting planet! I want to meet aliens, proper aliens, not furries! A grand adventure throughout the Galaxy! I couldn't even finish the first disk, it drags its feet soooooooooooooooo much!

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
CM156 said:
I thought the ending to Fallout 3, Pre-Broken Steel was one of the best endings to an RPG.
But Fawkes/Charon/Sergeant is right there!

They're immune to/healed by/can't give a shit about radiation!

Bah, I guess that whole sacrifice just like your father thing was kinda touching.

Paelias

Dec 29, 2010
I think that Final Fantasy VIII is the best in the series.

I believe that Fable 2 is one of the best games I've played this generation.

Mass Effect 2 is not anywhere near as good as the original.

I think that WOW is one of the most boring games I've ever tried to get into.

Jerubbaal

Jul 22, 2011
Drakmeire said:
I thought that Red Dead Redemption was an awful game, I think that the new Devil May Cry looks cool, I think that Majoria's Mask was better than Ocarina of Time, I think the sonic games were always lousy, and the Shin Megami Tensei series is WAYYY better than any Final Fantasy game.
Also that Twilight Princess was a great game (when did everyone start hating it so much anyway?)
Going to have to agree with you on Majora's Mask. But as far as Twilight Princess goes, the game was too damn easy. The fight on the bridge had major potential for epicness, but when I fell off and only lost half a heart, it really ruined my feel for it. Same thing with the final boss fight and the fact that you were surrounded by pots with hearts.

Revolution -X-

Aug 27, 2010
Steambot Chronicles is one of the greatest games ever, Inuyasha: Secret of the Cursed Mask was a half-decent action RPG, FF7 isn't the best Final Fantasy, and Majora's Mask was better than Ocarina of Time. EDIT: And Star Ocean IV can suck on a space tailpipe.

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
Grand_Arcana said:
I hate Star Ocean 3. . . yeah, I said it! Why the hell is it called Star Ocean when most of the game is spent on a backwater Standard Fantasy Setting planet! I want to meet aliens, proper aliens, not furries! A grand adventure throughout the Galaxy! I couldn't even finish the first disk, it drags its feet soooooooooooooooo much!
Star Ocean 2 spent the first half on an under-developed planet as well. You actually see more of the sci-fi stuff in SO3.

Revolution -X-

Aug 27, 2010
Jerubbaal said:
Drakmeire said:
I thought that Red Dead Redemption was an awful game, I think that the new Devil May Cry looks cool, I think that Majoria's Mask was better than Ocarina of Time, I think the sonic games were always lousy, and the Shin Megami Tensei series is WAYYY better than any Final Fantasy game.
Also that Twilight Princess was a great game (when did everyone start hating it so much anyway?)
Going to have to agree with you on Majora's Mask. But as far as Twilight Princess goes, the game was too damn easy. The fight on the bridge had major potential for epicness, but when I fell off and only lost half a heart, it really ruined my feel for it. Same thing with the final boss fight and the fact that you were surrounded by pots with hearts.
And that you could beat his last form by distracting him with the fishing rod.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
I don't own a single JRPG.
I dislike Black Ops (don't tell me that I share the majority of people's opinions because as far as I know Black Ops is the only game many people seem to play).
I couldn't play Dead Rising because I found it too difficult.

Jerubbaal

Jul 22, 2011
Anyways, my list:

Majora's Mask is awesome
The Wii is really dang fun (I'm a bit of a PC elitist)
FFVII sucks
FFVIII is amazing
WoW is the most boring grindfest in the world (battlegrounds are decent though, if nothing else)
Mother 3 (Earthbound 2) has the best-told story in a video game. Ever.

EDIT: Oh, and Just Cause 2 is the most awesome game ever.

May 5, 2010
Master Chief is a faaaaar better protagonist then Gordon Freeman. I am prepared to explain why.

Portal was not the great. Portal 2, however, was amazing.(I know most people agree about that last part, but I just thought I'd throw that in there.)

The story of the Modern Warfare games are actually quite good, and they make perfect sense if you pay attention.

dancinginfernal

Sep 5, 2009
Dragon Age II was good.

Navi wasn't that bad, the owl was a ************.

FFVII wasn't that good, and I flat out didn't like it.

KotOR2 was better than the original, even with cut content mod uninstalled.

Mass Effect 1 was superior to its sequel.

Saints Row is superior to GTA IV.

James Vega isn't that bad, but could totally have been better introduced.

I'm looking forward to the Relationships idea of Skyrim.

Deus Ex is only my second favorite game in the world.

I'm really hoping this thread raises a flak shield over everyone's head.

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
Master Chief is a faaaaar better protagonist then Gordon Freeman. I am prepared to explain why.
I'm taking a neutral stance here, but I'd like to read your reasoning :)

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
1. I played Resident Evil 5 and I fucking loved it!
2. I don't think Metal Gear has a convoluted plot, it's possibly got the best plot in gaming!
3. I don't think Bioware have released anything up to par since Jade Empire.
4. I thought Navi was a godsend in defeating some bosses at the tender age of 7 and therefor helpful.
5. Bioshock 2 actually did a good job as a sequel.

William Ossiss

Apr 8, 2010
i never had trouble piloting the MAKO until i read something about it on the forums.
final fantasy games suck. no more androgynous people!
i thought navi was informative.
Darksiders was one of the best games ive played this era of consoles.
street fighter was never good. it was kind of lame.
oblivion looks better than skyrim
fallout 3 kind of sucked. as did new vegas.

on a movie side note!
the "first three" star wars are better than the "last three"

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
I liked the Mako in Mass Effect, and I found the Hammerhead in Mass Effect 2 to be a bad replacement and a horrible vehicle.

...That's all I can think of now without going through another list of games I hated that most people like, and that would be boring.

Drakmeire said:
When it came out and they decided that The Wind Waker was awesome. Don't worry, once Skyward Sword gets here, people will hate that and then everyone will suddenly think Twilight Princess was awesome too.

ZeroMachine said:
Navi is fucking awesome and is just a bit epic in the final battle against Ganon.
How? All that happens is she lets you lock on again, but you don't even use it against Ganon because locking on means you jump attack instead of roll and you need rolling to get behind him. This means you don't lock on and thus Navi is completely useless. She might as well have kept up the "I can't get close!" nonsense from the Ganondorf battle where she actually would have been helpful.

Gudrests said:
Good game...shitty difficulty and TERRIBLE BOSSES
Off topic, but I absolutely love your avatar!

May 5, 2010
starwarsgeek said:
Alrighty, here goes. Wall of text incoming, sorry.

EDIT:OH! And SPOILERS FOR THE HALF LIFE SERIES!!!! LIKE, THE WHOLE THING!!!

OK, so...First of all, the premise that Gordon Freeman is any different from Master Chief to begin with. People say he's just a physicist with a crowbar, but that isn't true. He's a physicist with a crowbar and power suit. That heals his injuries, gives him amazing athletic abilities, and absorbs damage. EXACTLY like Master Chief. He's also a symbol of hope to a downtrodden civilization, like Master Chief, except in Freeman's case that makes no fucking sense. The Chief is connected with the military, so it makes sense that people have heard of him. There's probably propaganda ads featuring him on Earth. Plus, he's actually saving humanity. (Keep in mind, in this next bit, how Freeman is supposed to be "defined by the players actions) Freeman, however, is a physicist working a top secret facility, part of only a small handful of people who got out alive. How did people hear about him in the gap between HL1 and 2?

Maybe you say the few surviving Black Mesa employees spread the word. Word became legend, etc, etc. That would almost make sense, except for one thing: Freeman has never done anything WORTHY of humanities' collective admiration. Think about it: In HL1, all he does is open the door for an apocalyptic alien invasion, spectacularly fail to stop it, and then disappear for 20 years. Our hero, everybody! But that's not all! His legacy of destruction and failure continues into HL2, where he manages to lead the Combine through the Resistance's escape route, which probably took YEARS to set up, and then leads them right to the nearest resistance base. This results in the capture of one the Resistance's most important figures. In the process of rescuing him, he manages to disappear AGAIN, though only for a week this time. While he's gone the revolution starts without him, and, to his credit he puts up a good fight once he gets there.

But then. He gets all the way to the top of the Citadel and undoes ALL of it. Our brilliant physicist starts banging shit together, without regards for anyone's saftey, resulting in the destruction of the Citadel, and indeed, City 17. Now, I know what you're thinking: "The Combine did that so they could set off their portal!" No. No they didn't. They just didn't stop the process once it had already begun. But I digress.

The destruction of the Citadel does far more damage to the people of Earth then to the Combine. Millions are left dead or displaced, the journey to the nearest Resistance base is much longer then before (thanks to Freeman, you'll remember) and even if the millions of refugees get to Resistance bases, the bases will be poorly equipped to handle such a huge increase in population so fast. Virtually no one benefits from the destruction of the Citadel.

In conclusion: If Freeman really is defined by his actions, then he's a moron who has no idea what the hell he's doing. Both he and Master Chief are power-armored Messiah figures of the future, virtually devoid of personality, but at least Master Chief got around to saving humanity at some point.

Annnnd....I'm done. Sorry if any of this is unclear, I'm typing it up at about 1 in the morning. If you want me to clarify anything, just ask and I'll try.

JustJuust

Mar 31, 2011
starwarsgeek said:
Alrighty, here goes. Wall of text incoming, sorry.

OK, so...First of all, the premise that Gordon Freeman is any different from Master Chief to begin with. People say he's just a physicist with a crowbar, but that isn't true. He's a physicist with a crowbar and power suit. That heals his injuries, gives him amazing athletic abilities, and absorbs damage. EXACTLY like Master Chief. He's also a symbol of hope to a downtrodden civilization, like Master Chief, except in Freeman's case that makes no fucking sense. The Chief is connected with the military, so it makes sense that people have heard of him. There's probably propaganda ads featuring him on Earth. Plus, he's actually saving humanity. (Keep in mind, in this next bit, how Freeman is supposed to be "defined by the players actions) Freeman, however, is a physicist working a top secret facility, part of only a small handful of people who got out alive. How did people hear about him in the gap between HL1 and 2?

Maybe you say the few surviving Black Mesa employees spread the word. Word became legend, etc, etc. That would almost make sense, except for one thing: Freeman has never done anything WORTHY of humanities' collective admiration. Think about it: In HL1, all he does is open the door for an apocalyptic alien invasion, spectacularly fail to stop it, and then disappear for 20 years. Our hero, everybody! But that's not all! His legacy of destruction and failure continues into HL2, where he manages to lead the Combine through the Resistance's escape route, which probably took YEARS to set up, and then leads them right to the nearest resistance base. This results in the capture of one the Resistance's most important figures. In the process of rescuing him, he manages to disappear AGAIN, though only for a week this time. While he's gone the revolution starts without him, and, to his credit he puts up a good fight once he gets there.

But then. He gets all the way to the top of the Citadel and undoes ALL of it. Our brilliant physicist starts banging shit together, without regards for anyone's saftey, resulting in the destruction of the Citadel, and indeed, City 17. Now, I know what you're thinking: "The Combine did that so they could set off their portal!" No. No they didn't. They just didn't stop the process once it had already begun. But I digress.

The destruction of the Citadel does far more damage to the people of Earth then to the Combine. Millions are left dead or displaced, the journey to the nearest Resistance base is much longer then before (thanks to Freeman, you'll remember) and even if the millions of refugees get to Resistance bases, the bases will be poorly equipped to handle such a huge increase in population so fast. Virtually no one benefits from the destruction of the Citadel.

In conclusion: If Freeman really is defined by his actions, then he's a moron who has no idea what the hell he's doing. Both he and Master Chief are power-armored Messiah figures of the future, virtually devoid of personality, but at least Master Chief got around to saving humanity at some point.

Annnnd....I'm done. Sorry if any of this is unclear, I'm typing it up at about 1 in the morning. If you want me to clarify anything, just ask and I'll try.
that.... actually makes a lot of sense! I guess that Breen talking to Freeman about how Freeman is destroying stuff that humanity has worked hard for makes sense!

MorsePacific

Nov 5, 2008
I really liked Dragon Age 2. Valve makes games with interesting concepts but has never created anything I count as being truly great. Duke Nukem Forever wasn't THAT bad and I really liked the first half hour. Then it just gets offensive.

The Witcher is almost impenetrable, which was a huge disappointment since I actually read The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski. Oblivion was really boring. Ocarina of Time is by a large margin not the best game ever and certainly doesn't even rank in my top ten.

I could probably do this for a while.

DigitalAtlas

Mar 31, 2011
Halo is one of my favorite franchises. Halo 3 and Halo 2 ROCKED Halo Reach in every way.

The best games are over the top bonkers or intricately thought out and meant to represent something.

I enjoyed the MW2 campaign. Three times.

I liked Duke Nukem Forever because it was shit.

Both Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter are crap. Any fighting that doesn't promote speedy fighting is just boring.

The Force Unleashed had an awful story. The thing people praise about it was done better in the N64 days.

God of War III sucked and kicked every long-time fan in the pants.

Digital Distribution will murder the industry. Everyone will have their own UPlay or Origin and it will make everything so pricey no one will care anymore.

PC gaming annoys me because it's just so unreliable and half of the genres can be played better with a controller.

Games don't have to just be about being fun. Stop confusing that simple word for enjoyability. Games can be about eating breakfest if they wanted to.

I don't see this surplus of shooters everyone else is getting cancer from. At all.

Hardcore gaming still exists proudly. This year I can't count on one hand how many titles are being catered just to that damn audience.

The Wii is an amazing system. Near dead with only four games coming for it before the WiiU's release, but the good titles were catered to the hardcore and all of the quality titles had killer aesthetics.

Why is FFXIII hated while FFX is so loved? XIII is X, minus the towns and horrendous water physics. Both are just long roads where you hold forward and mash X till you get the ending.

Atlus creates horrible games and should only focus on localizing outstanding games like Working Designs. Seriously, Catherine is awful. Persona games are only decent due to their high amount of role-playing despite how repetitive the dungeons are and how idiotic the plots are. Everything else they create is crap.