I like you, but I don't want to go out with you...

UltraParanoia

Oct 11, 2009
Julianking93 said:
She has a list of requirements?

And if someone doesn't meet those requirements, she won't date them?

Sorry to say this, but she sounds extremely immature and very superficial. Why would you want that anyway?
Actually, she sounds like your average chick, at least the younger ones. I know quite a few vapid bitches who have lists because they can't make up their minds about what they want from a relationship and lists apparantly help them decide.

OT:
Daden said:
Contrary to popular belief, everyone has expectations or "requirements" when it comes to a significant other (usually minimum levels of attractiveness, motivation, etc.). It's probably for the best that she is up front with this religion thing, honestly. It would have just come to bite you in the ass later otherwise.

If you're kind of a lazy agnostic, like, say, my father, you can probably put up with a lifetime of being dragged to services and the occasional awkward conversation. So, I suppose you could show interest to "get in there," so to speak, though it's certainly disingenuous.

I will warn you, though, that religion seeps into almost every facet of life, and if you disagree with something that "God disagrees with," you will never have your opinion so much as respected. Trust me.

You know your situation best, but bear in mind that a failed relationship will probably result in a failed friendship as well. It's a big risk when you already know you aren't totally compatible.
This basically, overly Christian* chicks, while freaky in the sack, aren't generally worth the hassle of a relationship.

*also applies to other religions, atheists, nerds, and any woman who takes shit waaay too seriously or like something entirely too much.

I've had women try to get me to listen to the same music as them, shop at the same stores(A hairy, burly guy looks weird in Abercrombie), and tried to get me to be clean shaven and stop swearing. Fuck that :| . Chicks like want to get their claws into and mold you into the closest approximation of what they think they want, and they are not fun to deal with.

thedeathscythe

Aug 6, 2010
Julianking93 said:

Sorry to say this, but she sounds extremely immature and very superficial. Why would you want that anyway?

I mean, I know everyone has certain things they like in a romantic partner but going so far as to having an actual list?

Besides, two opposing religious views don't mix well in a romantic relationship. You don't want that anyway.
I wouldn't use the word superficial, I would almost use the word controlling. One of her requirements is that they have the same religion, nothing superficial about that, but my only requirements is that they be 1. A female, 2. Attractive, and the second one can override the first one, if I somehow find another guy hot enough. I mean, that's just the start dating them. If they're brainless, it usually never passes date 3, but what I'm trying to say is, though I'm arguably superficial for wanting them to be attractive, my requirements don't really control that person. We don't have to like the same things, or have the same religion, or be the same race or anything.

OP: My advice, she sounds controlling. You don't want her, trust me. I've been with girls like that, convinced them to just try me, and it is a bad idea, man.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
UltraParanoia said:
Actually, she sounds like your average chick, at least the younger ones. I know quite a few vapid bitches who have lists because they can't make up their minds about what they want from a relationship and lists apparantly help them decide.
For some reason, teen girls always seem to think lists make everything easier.

At any rate, I fail to see how her being "average" makes this situation any better. Just because most girls do it doesn't make it any more tolerable, at least for me.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
thedeathscythe said:
I wouldn't use the word superficial, I would almost use the word controlling. One of her requirements is that they have the same religion, nothing superficial about that, but my only requirements is that they be 1. A female, 2. Attractive, and the second one can override the first one, if I somehow find another guy hot enough. I mean, that's just the start dating them. If they're brainless, it usually never passes date 3, but what I'm trying to say is, though I'm arguably superficial for wanting them to be attractive, my requirements don't really control that person. We don't have to like the same things, or have the same religion, or be the same race or anything.
Maybe not superficial in the terms of wanting an attractive person, but having a list to begin with of things you want and don't want makes it superficial. Nothing wrong with having specific things you like, but having a strict set of things that you either must have or not is what's superficial about it.

thedeathscythe

Aug 6, 2010
Julianking93 said:
Maybe not superficial in the terms of wanting an attractive person, but having a list to begin with of things you want and don't want makes it superficial. Nothing wrong with having specific things you like, but having a strict set of things that you either must have or not is what's superficial about it.
Oh good point, I hadn't even thought of it like that. Now that you put it like that, I don't even understand how she can like him as possibly something more than friends, yet he doesn't fit the criteria for her to go out with. The simple fact that she likes him means she should go for it, why does he need to meet some checklist? Wouldn't she not like him if he made this checklist?

Daden

Jun 17, 2010
thedeathscythe said:
Julianking93 said:
Oh good point, I hadn't even thought of it like that. Now that you put it like that, I don't even understand how she can like him as possibly something more than friends, yet he doesn't fit the criteria for her to go out with. The simple fact that she likes him means she should go for it, why does he need to meet some checklist? Wouldn't she not like him if he made this checklist?
If we were talking about a list that contained preferred hair colors and favorite vacation destinations, then, sure, it would be superficial. That's neither here nor there, though, of course.

Religion IS a big deal. If one person's deepest beliefs, hopes, and dreams are considered quaint or trivial by another, it will cause strife in their relationship without fail. You can respect the other person's beliefs, sure, but if you don't share those beliefs there is always a nagging distrust at the core of the relationship.

iLikeHippos

Jan 19, 2010
I bet the both of you will wonder what would happen if you got together for a long time to come if you don't...

... Yeah, that's kind of too optimistic/naive of me?

OT: A list? I smell a control freak... She will dump you the moment you begin to contradict her, saying that "she can't be with you under these conditions"

It's happened to me dude.

Direwolf750

Apr 14, 2010
if she mentions religion, and you aren't religious, you have three options: one: lie. two: convert. three: find someone else. Those who are deeply religious are not tolerant as a general rule, and agnostic is practically the same as atheist to them. Also, if she has a checklist, just...no. If she plans to hold someone to arbitrary standards, especially about such an abstract notion as religion, then she isn't the right person for you. Find someone who doesn't have a plan. It's more fun that way ^_^

Shizukomaru

Oct 12, 2010
Dodged a bullet. If she is unwilling to date a non Christian, thats a red flag to me that she may be too religious for anyone's good.
Also I dont think it is good to have too many requirements besides "Makes me happy".

Deylin

Oct 22, 2010
I've been in your situation before, bro. One of my best friends in my life, since high school, has been a girl. I've always admired her, gone through situations where I wanted to date her, and can say that I do straight up like her but I could never date her (now and back in high school it would've been a bad thing to do) even if she wanted to date me.

Sometimes it has nothing to do with a difference in religion, sometimes you have those friends that are just that...friends. If you tried to date them it'd fail horribly and you'd probably lose someone who is epic. Don't worry yourself with all of this. Throw that thought of religion out of the picture because if she likes you then it has nothing to do with that (let me re-emphasize this: if you guys are friends right now and she's one of your best friends then she doesn't think of you being agnostic as a bad thing...maybe it makes her unsure, but she respects you as you are right now, if that wasn't the case then she wouldnt be your friend, I've seen a lot of Christians not be friends with non-believers and I think thats a bad way of doing things).

Girls nowadays don't have as much protection from guys...guys tend to want to take advantage of girls. So what's so hard with being that trustworthy friend that she can always come to when she needs help?

feycreature

May 6, 2009
OK, these are a lot of assumptions regarding someone almost all of us have never met. Anyway, you can say you like someone and not want to date them or at least think you shouldn't. If I'd been smarter a few times I would have avoided lousy situations by recognizing the difference between attraction and being a good match. It's an odd way of putting it, to my ears anyway, but I can imagine thinking that way. We all have things that we want and need in a relationship, and ignoring that is a temporary solution at best. I will say meeting in groups and whittling away friends over time would, to me, come across as blatant manipulation. It looks like you're either trying to get her alone without her noticing or pretending to have backed off while in fact just trying to convince her by making her more comfortable around you. Either way, you're hiding your intentions and that has a tendency to go really incredibly wrong. I have been on both ends of that mistake and it is not pretty.

There are a lot of possibilities. Maybe she isn't sure how she feels about you, maybe she's worried that the two of you will just be a bad match, maybe she doesn't want to wreck the friendship (which it probably will if it goes wrong. sorry, but conventional wisdom is right on that one). Maybe she isn't sure about dating period, particularly depending on how religious she is. Maybe she's just really bad at communicating. Hell, maybe she does have unreasonable standards and a penchant for manipulation. Those who actually know her are the only ones who have much chance of judging that correctly.

Either way, after a response like that pushing your luck, especially trying to do it in a sneaky way, especially after agreeing to leave it for now, sounds like a pretty good way to damage her trust in you. "Let's leave it for now" probably doesn't mean "I'll leave it for now and you organize our social lives so that I end up alone with you."

If you are willing to wait and discuss it later, you can do that, understanding it's not a sure thing. If you truly can't leave it alone and can't wait, then tell her you want to try and you aren't willing to wait around. She's under no obligation to date you and you're under no obligation to wait for her to make up her mind or change her mind or whatever she does in the end. You'll never make someone into a person they're not and you can't make someone want you. If the two of you stay friends maybe you'll catch each other on another swing-by. In the meantime, you can find a girl who wants to be with you or take a break from the lists of love and she can either date the guys who fit her criteria, change the criteria, or stay single.

Being honest doesn't always get you what you want, but in a relationship it all comes out sooner or later. If you are honest about your intentions and your limits, it's up to her to decide what she wants and what she can do. If she is into you enough to set aside her misgivings and go for it, then she will. If she isn't, then you can't change that and in any case you deserve someone who is. If she's playing coy to try and make you do all the work, call her bluff. Do you really want to be with someone you have to -convince- to date you?

I admit, I don't know you personally, but most people manage. Continue to be friendly and open to possibilities and I'm sure you'll find the right moment to jump into a relationship and a girl who wants to jump with you entirely of her own volition.

I know this is a long post, but it's not a simple topic.

Imp Poster

Sep 16, 2010
Why does like and dislike have to mean "go out with you" and "not go without you"? I have had some friends that are girls go out with guys that they didn't like because they had nothing better to do, free food or some other reason. Some changed their minds after the first date and some found out why they didn't like them.

If there was one thing, one rule I would tell to guys as a DO NOT in dating, it would be DON'T TELL THEM YOU LIKE THEM OR ADMIT. Now she has you by the balls emotionally. You are gonna squirm, not knowing what to do next and she flat out tells you I don't want to go out with you. Girls are not stupid. They pick up on things. They are feelers. You do something, they feel something, whether good/bad/nothing in what you did. Next time a girl asks you if you like them, say something like, "Why, do you have something I would like?" *look innocent* Adding a little mystery works wonders. Saying that you like them ends any mystery. You pretty much given them a choice on where you stand and where she stands at point where it was probably too early or maybe late in your case.

and a list? give me a freaking break. Don't tell me you(not you, OP, but people here astounded that she has a list) don't have a personal guideline of what you like and dislike, pet peeves about a person you wouldn't or would want to date. So what, hers is religion. What? you think you got a chance with a devout muslim then(if you are not)? Her telling you that, I can see how close friends you really are. Most guys wouldn't get that, just the I don't want to go out with you part and that's about it.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
I know about as much as relationships as a turnip knows about prostitution.
Maybe I'm the wrong person for a thread like this...

Enerfor

Jul 4, 2010
Julianking93 said:

I mean, I know everyone has certain things they like in a romantic partner but going so far as to having an actual list?

Besides, two opposing religious views don't mix well in a romantic relationship. You don't want that anyway.
I agree...
A list??? O_O

Good morning blues

Sep 24, 2008
The way I see it, you have two options: you can sit around with your thumb up your ass hoping that she'll get over her religious beliefs before she meets somebody she likes who shares them, or you can move the fuck on. I endorse the second option.