I love it but I don't want to play it again.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Devil May Cry 3 and 4's Bloody Palace modes. I just don't have the patience for either one anymore. The former has 9,999 floors. Even if you skip every 100 levels, it can still take 2 and a half to 4 hours to beat. DMC 4 has a pretty unforgiving time limit, if you don't know how to kill enemies fast enough and take no damage while doing so on each floor. DmC allows you to disable the timer, though even with the timer, it's pretty forgiving. DMC5 on the other hand, allows you to practice on floors you completed. Not to mention the time is much more forgiving. Really forgiving. Making almost all the other Bloody Palaces obsolete.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Kinda like how Crysis was fun once but I have no urge to ever replay it.
I stopped playing at the 2/3 part and never looked back. Crysis 2 and 3 are way more re-playable and fun.

I can add Redout, seeing how Wipeout Omega Collection and Fast RMX are better futuristic racing games.

Reactions: Dalisclock

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I stopped playing at the 2/3 part and never looked back. Crysis 2 and 3 are way more re-playable and fun.

I can add Redout, seeing how Wipeout Omega Collection and Fast RMX are better futuristic racing games.
I’ve played more Crysis/Warhead than the sequels combined because it’s such a good sandbox, but usually always stopped before the shitty VTOL section.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Shredder's Revenge - I still will play it, but not in this immediate instance. There's really not enough replay value on this game. So I've been done for a while.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Feel this way about Silent Hill 1-3. Fantastic, unforgettable experiences (especially #2), but I just don't feel the urge to replay 'em.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Feel this way about Silent Hill 1-3. Fantastic, unforgettable experiences (especially #2), but I just don't feel the urge to replay 'em.
EH I felt 3 was by far the superior game. Silent Hill 2 never clicked with me. I was just so insanely board. I think there's a fine line between atmospheric and just having nothing happen.
Like there were some scary scenes sure, but the game was easily 2-3 times longer than it needed to be. Lots of filler and just walking around with no enemies or anything.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
EH I felt 3 was by far the superior game. Silent Hill 2 never clicked with me. I was just so insanely board. I think there's a fine line between atmospheric and just having nothing happen.
Like there were some scary scenes sure, but the game was easily 2-3 times longer than it needed to be. Lots of filler and just walking around with no enemies or anything.
I felt really disappointed by Silent Hill 2. I mean the game was fine, but I was so disappointed that it didn't scare me, Silent Hill 1 and 3 freaked me out, Silent Hill 2... nothing. It sounds like it had a really good plot, but I was too disappointed it didn't scare me to notice when I played it.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I felt really disappointed by Silent Hill 2. I mean the game was fine, but I was so disappointed that it didn't scare me, Silent Hill 1 and 3 freaked me out, Silent Hill 2... nothing. It sounds like it had a really good plot, but I was too disappointed it didn't scare me to notice when I played it.
You dare...

evil-glare.gif

Reactions: Silvanus

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Really? It scared me more than 1 & 3, easily-- the section in the prison had me feeling claustrophobic and as if I had to get the hell out of there. It might have helped that it was the first one I played.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Really? It scared me more than 1 & 3, easily-- the section in the prison had me feeling claustrophobic and as if I had to get the hell out of there. It might have helped that it was the first one I played.
See I felt 3 had a much more vulnerable, and relatable protagonist. I've never been a teen girl, but I was a teen boy, so I knew some of the helplessness you feel when things start to go wrong. And the whole incest/rape baby side plot and wondering if its all just in her imagination. One of the NPCs even says something like "Wait the people you've been killing look like monsters to you?"

Silent Hill 2 and James...he's just nothing. He's a piece of white toast, completely bland. Yeah killing his wife was a horrible thing to do, the dude deserves to be punished. But like the nurses? Oh the adult man thinks nurses in skimpy outfits with big tits are sexy. The monster! Punish him for having a sex drive.
Or the dude was frustrated and upset at having to care for his terminally ill wife. Yeah, that's a pretty natural response to something like that. And a therapist would have told him he's frustrated and upset at the illness, not his wife. Instead Silent Hill conjures up spider mannequins and James has absolutely no reason to stay. I know in the ZP review Yahtzee says that symbolizes he has nothing to lose, but to me James just comes across as an idiot. Like Mr. Magoo just blindly walking through a bunch of traps and monsters, completely unaware he's in danger.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Silent Hill 2 and James...he's just nothing. He's a piece of white toast, completely bland. Yeah killing his wife was a horrible thing to do, the dude deserves to be punished.
Instead Silent Hill conjures up spider mannequins and James has absolutely no reason to stay.
Technically, the town is not punishing him, James is doing that himself sub/unconsciously and is pointed out to be a death seeker. He will choose suicide depending on how you play and what ending you got. The Water Ending is the one where he does himself in. It's also the main reason why he chooses not to leave Silent Hill.

I know in the ZP review Yahtzee says that symbolizes he has nothing to lose, but to me James just comes across as an idiot.
Yahtzee over praises SH2 too much and does not give the credit SH1 and SH3 deserve. His complaints boil down towards "they brought back the stupid cult storyline and it's not as subversive!". Dude heavily downplays what 1 & 3 accomplished. Funny story, most of the Japanese fans don't like SH2. While us Western fans either like 2 or 3 the most. Me personally, the SH Trilogy are awesome games on their own or as entire trilogy. Everyone should at least experience playing them once.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
See I felt 3 had a much more vulnerable, and relatable protagonist. I've never been a teen girl, but I was a teen boy, so I knew some of the helplessness you feel when things start to go wrong. And the whole incest/rape baby side plot and wondering if its all just in her imagination. One of the NPCs even says something like "Wait the people you've been killing look like monsters to you?"
SH2 and SH3 both play with those implications: Laura in SH2 doesn't see any of the monsters/strangeness either.

Silent Hill 2 and James...he's just nothing. He's a piece of white toast, completely bland. Yeah killing his wife was a horrible thing to do, the dude deserves to be punished. But like the nurses? Oh the adult man thinks nurses in skimpy outfits with big tits are sexy. The monster! Punish him for having a sex drive.
That's not really the point of the nurses. They're faceless-- the point is that James dehumanises women, reduces them to sex objects or focuses of contempt.

Or the dude was frustrated and upset at having to care for his terminally ill wife. Yeah, that's a pretty natural response to something like that. And a therapist would have told him he's frustrated and upset at the illness, not his wife. Instead Silent Hill conjures up spider mannequins and James has absolutely no reason to stay. I know in the ZP review Yahtzee says that symbolizes he has nothing to lose, but to me James just comes across as an idiot. Like Mr. Magoo just blindly walking through a bunch of traps and monsters, completely unaware he's in danger.
He's well aware, but doesn't value his own life. The town isn't interested in its targets' mental wellbeing. It's exploiting it for torment.

Technically, the town is not punishing him, James is doing that himself sub/unconsciously and is pointed out to be a death seeker.
Oh, hard disagree there, the town is certainly conjuring it for him. It exploits the fears and guilt of its targets to do so-- picks apart their psyche.

But if James was just doing it to himself, then we wouldn't also see other people-- including someone who's purely a victim, not a deserving villain-- being tormented by tailor-made monsters in the town.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
It's not the game or writers punishing him, it's him punishing himself. He thinks of himself as a piece of shit, who looks at other women and goes to stripclubs while his wife is dying in the hospital. This is why Laura has no issues wandering around Silent Hill, because she hasn't any trauma for the town to leech off of. And why Angela's plight and ending is so horrifyingly unfair.

James is kind of an idiot, because he's in denial of his own self-loathing and sees himself as different from characters like Angela and Eddie, when he's the exact same. He holds onto finding his wife in some naive attempt to stave off how truly shitty he feels about himself. I'm not claiming this game is some masterful psychoanalysis, but saying it's the illness he's mad at not his wife duh, yeah, that's not how the human mind works.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
None of the enemies felt threatening to me, the birds and dogs in one felt like they could almost sneak up on you, nothing in 2 felt like it could just be there. Really the one part in 2 that kinda freaked me out was going through the hospital then in one of the rooms was a giant head of your wife with creepy wiggling eyes.

It might be cheating to say the first one freaked me out much more, but it did. Although a good part of that is because I went in almost blind, so I had no idea what it was about, I also reached the hell world at like almost midnight.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
So i saw a few post talking about Witcher 3. To those people, I’d ask to go play Witcher 1. Because it is arguably the worst one to replay out of the three.

The story, characters, and the world-building are all truly amazing. However the gameplay is horribly outdated, and not even mods can completely change that. It’s certainly not as long as Witcher 3, but i feel my time with the game was artificially increased with how slow Geralt moves and combat being more of a rhythm game.Thank god it is getting a remake

I also can’t bring myself to play Middle Earth: Shadow of War again. The nemesis system is nice, but i feel the level of your orc army became more important than Talion build. The open combat was very annoying and I ended up sticking to stealth, which defeats the purpose of “play your way” shtick.

AC origin had an amazing premise of how the assassin order was found, and it was set in ancient egypt. But the combat felt clunky sometimes and non-urban terrain traversal was horrendous. I also sort of blame this game for being the pioneer of how odyssey and valhalla turned out to be

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Oh, hard disagree there, the town is certainly conjuring it for him. It exploits the fears and guilt of its targets to do so-- picks apart their psyche.
It's more a grey area really. Yet, most of it is James and certain other people punishing themselves, or think they deserve to be punishment.

But if James was just doing it to himself, then we wouldn't also see other people-- including someone who's purely a victim, not a deserving villain-- being tormented by tailor-made monsters in the town.
That's wrong. Whether he was punishing himself or not, it still wouldn't stop him from seeing other people that entered the town.

It's not the game or writers punishing him, it's him punishing himself. He thinks of himself as a piece of shit, who looks at other women and goes to stripclubs while his wife is dying in the hospital. This is why Laura has no issues wandering around Silent Hill, because she hasn't any trauma for the town to leech off of. And why Angela's plight and ending is so horrifyingly unfair.

James is kind of an idiot, because he's in denial of his own self-loathing and sees himself as different from characters like Angela and Eddie, when he's the exact same. He holds onto finding his wife in some naive attempt to stave off how truly shitty he feels about himself. I'm not claiming this game is some masterful psychoanalysis, but saying it's the illness he's mad at not his wife duh, yeah, that's not how the human mind works.
Thank you. Took the words right of my mouth.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
That's wrong. Whether he was punishing himself or not, it still wouldn't stop him from seeing other people that entered the town.
No, I don't mean James wouldn't see them, I mean that whole side of it wouldn't feature in the game.

If this is a story about James just imagining a bunch of shit for himself, then why does the game feature two other people-- one of whom appears to be innocent of horrible shit-- being tormented by apparitions within the same town?

Hell, one of the monsters conjured for Angela can interact directly with James (Abstract Daddy). There's clearly more going on here.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
If this is a story about James just imagining a bunch of shit for himself, then why does the game feature two other people-- one of whom appears to be innocent of horrible shit-- being tormented by apparitions within the same town?

Hell, one of the monsters conjured for Angela can interact directly with James (Abstract Daddy). There's clearly more going on here.
Hence when I meant the grey area. I never once said or implied the monsters were imaginary/hallucinations, nor that James never interacted with them. At the end of the day, Angela and James are punishing themselves, and town is only giving them what they (think they) want. Just look at @Casual Shinji's post from earlier. We both more or less said the same thing, but he adds more detail.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Dragon age 2.

Don't get me wrong, it's fun and it does s lot of foreshadowing for DAI. I also liked the characters a lot.

But it's very linear and nothing you do matters much at all. It also felt like its less interesting overall then the game before and after it and with the Dragon Age keep if I wanted to try a different default state in DAI I can just play with that and boot up DAI.

So fun but no urge to ever replay.