"I might be empathizing with the wrong character here..."

adakias

Jul 15, 2010
Koroviev said:
adakias said:
I try to ignore that so hard, simply because you have to if you want to make it through the series without quitting due to utter annoyance.
At first I tried to justify it like "well he is way older than light I think" but after a while the willing suspension of disbelief was shattered. Light's intelligence was presented in an honestly believable manner. The things he did were performed with great concerted effort, while L just sort of knew things intuitively simply for the sake of the plot. Like I said, I tried to ignore it, and I do think he'd be a bit more tolerable if we didn't have to hear about how smart and wonderful he is. He would just be that aggravating plot device for me personally. Something that's easier to ignore and brush aside. Sort of. Also, the fanart of him with all those Jesus/angel-y references is what really did me in. Just... ughfuck no.
For me, the main thing is character. One really strong character can make or break an entertainment experience for me. Light made Death Note a series worth watching, in spite of annoying characters such as Misa and L.
i totally feel that. lights' the only character i really liked. i;m just a bit more passive i guess. i try to tolerate the bad so that it doesnt bring down the good, but sometimes people make it hard to ignore. i'm influenced by people sometimes, for better or worse. it made me hate him more, and i did so want to like him. the authors wanted me to so badly.
okay. i'm done. 40 mins since ambien. i think i just saw a guy with a backpack so i;ve gotta go make sure this shit ain't legit then i'm going to bed...

edit: it wasnt him it was my pile of coats...............i'm mad trippin' now dammit. i'm gonna to bed now. g'night escapist. i love you and your dirty, sexy posts. postalll

Koroviev

Oct 3, 2010
adakias said:
Koroviev said:
adakias said:
I try to ignore that so hard, simply because you have to if you want to make it through the series without quitting due to utter annoyance.
At first I tried to justify it like "well he is way older than light I think" but after a while the willing suspension of disbelief was shattered. Light's intelligence was presented in an honestly believable manner. The things he did were performed with great concerted effort, while L just sort of knew things intuitively simply for the sake of the plot. Like I said, I tried to ignore it, and I do think he'd be a bit more tolerable if we didn't have to hear about how smart and wonderful he is. He would just be that aggravating plot device for me personally. Something that's easier to ignore and brush aside. Sort of. Also, the fanart of him with all those Jesus/angel-y references is what really did me in. Just... ughfuck no.
For me, the main thing is character. One really strong character can make or break an entertainment experience for me. Light made Death Note a series worth watching, in spite of annoying characters such as Misa and L.
i totally feel that. lights' the only character i really liked. i;m just a bit more passive i guess. i try to tolerate the bad so that it doesnt bring down the good, but sometimes people make it hard to ignore. i'm influenced by people sometimes, for better or worse. it made me hate him more, and i did so want to like him. the authors wanted me to so badly.
okay. i'm done. 40 mins since ambien. i think i just saw a guy with a backpack so i;ve gotta go make sure this shit ain't legit then i'm going to bed...
Good night.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
Oh, several:

Mid-way through Wuthering Heights, it occured to me that Heathcliff was the only character with any real substance- well, except Joseph, of course. So, I spent the rest of the story giggling as he went around epitomising dickheaderies.

Oh, and I thought that Shan Yu in Mulan was a surprisingly fair leader- in one scene, he actually listened to (responding with a negative, but at least he didn't get angry) a suggestion by one of his men. I found it hard to hate him after that.

Magneto was less insane in the X-Men movieverse, so I was empathising with him in the first two. The third had him about level with the comics, as a prick, so it stopped there. Still thought he was cool. (All this said, I stil trusted him more than fricking Xavier.)

I couldn't help but feel a little sorry for Galactus in Marvel Zombies- he was jus doin' his thing, and then fucking Iron Man and Mr.Fantastic had to be dicks about it. That said, I didn't exactly expect him to win, so can't say it really counts.

Hitler had a Hey!? None of that!

I found myself drawn to Kefka, of FFVI fame. Don't ask me why; I get that he's evil.

Alakaizer

Aug 1, 2008
RADlTZ said:
Count Olaf in 'A Series of Unfortunate Events'
...who should have been played by Christopher Lloyd, not Jim Carrey. Not entirely on topic, but it needed to be said.

OT: the closest thing I can think of for an example is when my friend was playing The Darkness, we found it much more enjoyable to claim that the player was playing as the Darkness instead of that Jackie...person.

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009
When I watch WWI documentaries sometimes I root for the Germans... It's not their fault their allies were cockbags to the Serbs.

I empathize with Theon Geryjoy in the A Song of Ice and Fire series. All he wants is the approval of his father who he hasn't seen in ten years because his father gave him to the Starks as a hostage after The Greyjoy Rebellion.

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
Rocky Horror Picture Show

Liked Frank n Furter way more then Brad & Janet. I don't know if the movie is meant to be that way or not.

HandsomeJack

Jul 17, 2009
Aaaahhhh...I hated that musical because the "goood guy" was more dispicable than the "bad guy"...but Judd committed the gravest crime in a musical...he was a bass. Forever are we basses delegated to either choir or antagonist roles.

"Oklahoma!" has been that story for me for years and years. Though I loved Javert from "Les Miserables," he is truely a non-villian antagonist. He could almost be the hero of the story were it not that he were pitted against the redeemed sinner.

AngryLawnNinja

Oct 13, 2010
I had that when I watched Naruto Shipppuden a while back. The whole Pain Invasion arc made me sympathize WAY more with the bad guy than with any of the main characters. Maybe because of all the buildup, maybe because it gave the story a bit more of an adult "your actions have an effect" load. Especially the whole city destruction felt kind of righteous. And then they magically patched it with their plotdevice jutsu....God I hated that show afterwards.

DocBalance

Nov 9, 2009
adakias said:
Mm, yeah. Death Note comes to mind. Sorry.
First: am I the only ones who think L fans are like this? I mean, the guy's kind of an extremist, and not in a good way. IMO, he's weirdly sociopathic, he's kind of a major jerk, and he's in no way heroic (he only took the case because he was bored and thought it'd be fun, really), and yet these guys love the hell out of him for all the wrong reasons. He's creepy. I always liked him for the traits listed, but only because it was an interesting deviation from the typical "hero" characters you see nowadays. I dunno. I just kind of feel that people are missing the point with him, but whatever. That's just my interpretation of the character.
Second: I always liked Light. Like, a lot. I love men with crazy notions of godhood and a false sense of entitlement to power. I totally rooted for him, but I don't know if this is empathizing or just fangirlism. Maybe both. I dunno. 3:00 AM is not a good time to try and hash any of this out. -_-
I have this same kind of complex with this show as well, except for Ryuk. He was the only character I was genuinely rooting for, really, just because I knew there was no way anyone else could win.

cthulhumythos

Aug 28, 2009
cheshitescat said:
I felt for Jeff Kohlver in Hard Candy.

plus the girl was really, really annoying. i wanted to shoot her.
they made her way too bitchy.

as for villains i've rooted for... i'd go with black mage from 8-bit theater; his constant rage and wish too harm everyone in inexplicable ways were great. also the fact that the universe basically had it out for him; what can i say? i root for the underdog.

also ridley from metroid, he's just such a trooper; i mean, he's been exploded by samus numerous times and just keeps coming back up. i am sort of surprised that he hasn't developed any psychological conditions, like fear of the color orange for instance.

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
Cazza said:
Rocky Horror Picture Show

Liked Frank n Furter way more then Brad & Janet. I don't know if the movie is meant to be that way or not.
I found myself empathizing with him when I realised during "I'm Going Home" that he acts the way he does because in his mind he is being constantly watched by an audience, all of the time.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I empathized with Jun of Persona 3 Fes when I played through, and he's supposed to be bringing around the death of mankind.

He just seemed like a cool character, and someone i would have always had on my team.

course.... I also wanted ken to die, but thats just me.

[.redacted]

Jan 24, 2010
Pretty much every really bad movie falls into this category, as I often end up wishing the protagonists would just curl up and die.

Aside from that, I have an affinity with most evil characters that means I tend to sympathise more with them regardless.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
Harry Potter.

I mean, this boy is born with the rep of a god, everyone in the world instantly loves him, aside a handful of people who are portraied as the villains then.

Then his antagonist, Voldemort. He is actually a good wizzard and worked hard for that. He knows the magic culture way better than harry and desides it would be best to murder all murkbloods. That's a well based politcal opinion... sort of... Point is: Harry wins everything by luck. Or by karma. That is nothing compared to the amount of affort and brain volldemort put in everything, even into his own death.

What lesson is that to your kids? "Doesn't matter if you have no brain and no plan. Life will tunr out okay, as long as you are popular."

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
adakias said:
Koroviev said:
adakias said:
Mm, yeah. Death Note comes to mind. Sorry.
First: am I the only ones who think L fans are like this? I mean, the guy's kind of an extremist, and not in a good way. IMO, he's weirdly sociopathic, he's kind of a major jerk, and he's in no way heroic (he only took the case because he was bored and thought it'd be fun, really), and yet these guys love the hell out of him for all the wrong reasons. He's creepy. I always liked him for the traits listed, but only because it was an interesting deviation from the typical "hero" characters you see nowadays. I dunno. I just kind of feel that people are missing the point with him, but whatever. That's just my interpretation of the character.
Second: I always liked Light. Like, a lot. I love men with crazy notions of godhood and a false sense of entitlement to power. I totally rooted for him, but I don't know if this is empathizing or just fangirlism. Maybe both. I dunno. 3:00 AM is not a good time to try and hash any of this out. -_-
I feel the same way. Light >>>>> L.
(Yes, he's really that much greater than.)
Oh thank god. Yes, thank you. <3
You know, I honestly think I'd like L waaay better if people would stop putting him on a pedestal. Also he tries to hard to be quirky. :\
I was glad when he died until the bitching from the fandom began. Jeez, ladies.
YAY, I always liked Light better becuase I immediately related with him, and I lolled when he killed the first guy. I liked L, but hated the constant fandom of a character who I thought suffered from being written by a the author who knew what was going on. His deductions made sense until you actually think for yourself all the other, more reaosnable possibilities than "He killed someone on tv. He msut have the power to kill with a name and face."

I've never suffered becuase I cheered for the wrong person. For example, I was one of the people that hated Kamina.

Raptorace18

Dec 3, 2009
Alexander from Amnesia the dark decent. True he did torture a bunch of people and played Daniel for a chump (and Daniel was a British scientist/explorer, and history has taught us they had a nasty habit of sticking their noses into places they didn't belong) but his motive was simply to be reunited with the love of his life.

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
The Scythian said:
Sauron. Seriously, return the guy's ring...
Indeed. I mean, c'mon guys, it's not funny anymore, he's getting married tomorrow.

On topic (no spoilers please, not finished the game yet), I'd say Yaag Rosch from FFXIII. The guy's in a bad situation and doesn't seem bright enough to figure out a better way to deal with it than what he does, worst of all, he's self-aware about all this.