"I might be empathizing with the wrong character here..."

Theplatypusqueen

Jul 26, 2010
I always felt bad for the second Corinthian towards the end of SANDMAN. (NOT the first one, God no.) But everyone else (especially Matthew the Raven) was basically waiting for him to turn into a monster like the first Corinthian, and he just seemed confused by the whole thing.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
WolfThomas said:
I feel some fans of Rorshach suffer from this. Don't get me wrong he is a good character, but some people find him a little too likeable.
I;'d say a lot of them. Especially given the light the creator painted him in.

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
I was kind of happy when Akainu killed Ace on One Piece.

I emphatized with Nekron in Blackest Night.

Jamboxdotcom

Nov 3, 2010
well, i didn't really empathize with anyone, but that was exactly the problem i had with The Great Gatsby: i couldn't empathize. Daisy (was that her name?) was a vapid, selfish, vain, worthless piece of trash. and as a result, i hated Gatsby for pursuing her. "you f***ing idiot, why are you wasting your time on this creature who will chew you up and spit you out?!"

Theplatypusqueen said:
I always felt bad for the second Corinthian towards the end of SANDMAN. (NOT the first one, God no.) But everyone else (especially Matthew the Raven) was basically waiting for him to turn into a monster like the first Corinthian, and he just seemed confused by the whole thing.
haha, that's funny... i was just talking the other night about how much i liked the Corinthian (i actually liked both the first and second incarnations, but i did prefer the second). it's been forever since i read the Sandman series, though...

adakias said:
Mm, yeah. Death Note comes to mind. Sorry.
First: am I the only ones who think L fans are like this? I mean, the guy's kind of an extremist, and not in a good way. IMO, he's weirdly sociopathic, he's kind of a major jerk, and he's in no way heroic (he only took the case because he was bored and thought it'd be fun, really), and yet these guys love the hell out of him for all the wrong reasons. He's creepy. I always liked him for the traits listed, but only because it was an interesting deviation from the typical "hero" characters you see nowadays. I dunno. I just kind of feel that people are missing the point with him, but whatever. That's just my interpretation of the character.
Second: I always liked Light. Like, a lot. I love men with crazy notions of godhood and a false sense of entitlement to power. I totally rooted for him, but I don't know if this is empathizing or just fangirlism. Maybe both. I dunno. 3:00 AM is not a good time to try and hash any of this out. -_-
yeah, i was actually very torn all the way through Death Note. i liked Light (until the last volume or so, anyway, then he kinda became paranoid and annoying). but i did like L, as well.

Dancingman

Aug 15, 2008
RatRace123 said:
Colonel "Badass" Quarritch.
Yeah, yeah we get it the humans are all evil and horrible for not wanting to die because they can't get the unobtanium.
That movie had a very twisted green asop, sure the Navi were in harmony with their environment but it was only because they had the USB hair thingy that allowed them to control everything.
It wasn't shocking that the humans lost or that Quarritch was killed but he was just so entertainingly dickish, I found myself rooting for him.
But also, weren't the Na'vi kind of genocidal in their own way? This wasn't in response to violence it was in response to peaceful attempts to negotiate or trade with them. One can understand how overt hostility and even violence to their agents can annoy the humans.

Morgns

Dec 30, 2010
Sorry, but L >>>>>>>>>>> Light.

LOL L isn't "pulling things out of his ass" or whatever you're trying to say. He's a genius, just like Light, if you don't remember. And if you don't recall, he was RIGHT about the "conclusions" he came to.

DuctTapeJedi

Nov 2, 2010
I've been playing Icewind Dale 2 (I know, it's really old...), and I can't help but think that the Legion of the Chimera has a point. All they want is equality for orcs, goblins, etc. Sure, they could have tried dipolmacy, but still...

Ftaghn To You Too

Nov 25, 2009
RADlTZ said:
Dagoth Ur in Morrowind.
You're not really rooting for the wrong person. Bethesda purposefully made him just as "right" as the nutjob Tribunal church and the (Roman, and therefore awesome) Empire.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Pararaptor said:
The Master in Fallout was right in wanting to transform Vault-people into Super Mutants, though his plan of genocide for everyone who was not intelligent Super Mutant material was wrong.
I haven't played the game though, so I might not understand the full story.
Super Mutants can't reproduce, so turning the most viable humans around into them would be counter-productive as far as humanity's survival goes.

Whitenail

Sep 28, 2010
I watched 21 the other night and the entire time I was rooting for people that weren't the main character. Admittedly he gets what he deserves around the mid-way mark (and I mean really, really gets what he deserves without wishing to spoil anything) but by the end of the movie he was the same old Mr Manipulative douchebag Harvard Medical scholarship Mcgifted brain.

Oh, and Watchmen. I'm not sure if it's any different in the graphic novel but why is it that Dr Manhattan gets so much backstory and screen-time even though he's a one-dimensional douche (I know, I know, feels no emotion yadda yadda yadda but at the end of the day the majority of that film was watching a big blue naked embodiment of blandness which ain't all that engrossing to observe)...Rorschach was way cooler.

Nageck

Feb 8, 2009
I don't really want the villians to succeed, necessarily, but I wish they had managed to catch Kevin McCallister.

SkellgrimOrDave

Nov 18, 2009
Illidan Stormrage from warcraft 3 to the burning crusade expansion.

if you consider these spoilers then you have been under a rock quite frankly.

He is released after a fair long time, and the first thing he does is try to help the alliance, then malfurion says that he doesn't agree with his methods and straight up banishes him. No warning, no reminders that that kind of shit isn't how night elves do things, straight out on his ear. Then Illidan goes off on his lonesome, does some bad things natch, mostly out of bitterness, madness and anger. After finding a home in outland and ousting the burning legion, albeit serving a bit of a morally dodgy master, Illidan tries to kill Arthas. The main bad guy who caused a ton of suffering to literally thousands. Then in World of Warcraft canon storyline 25 so called brave heroes invade illidans home, kill everyone they see who serve him and then kill him for not doing things in a certain way.

Happy heroism everyone.

rangerman351

Dec 27, 2010
All throught mass effect, I kept rooting for the krogans and the geth to beat the Quarians. I mean they create and enslave one race and stop the other from reproducing

scar_47

Sep 25, 2010
You should be able to sympathise with a well donevillain it usually helps that they can have more flaws that many of us have making them more relateable than a perfect hero. A lot of it is character interpretation like with Rorschach yes he's brutally violent and has disregarded much of what makes us human but he stands by his beliefs which I think is something a lot of people wish they could do but for whatever reason won't. Any character that has some level of depth will have a redeeming quality and thus theres some aspect that we wish to root for.

Dancingman

Aug 15, 2008
I always sympathized with the Empire in Star Wars, sure it was pretty authoritarian but replacing the corrupt, decadent Republic was a step in the right direction.