i miss the escapist

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
CaitSeith said:
crimson5pheonix said:
I've been posting here for a long time and it doesn't seem that out of place. Controversies happen. They're pulling in new content creators.
Yeah, but they have lost MovieBob, Jim Sterling and several others that made interesting (albeit controversial) content. Heck, they are going to lose the Game On Hardcore [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comicsandcosplay/comics/game-on-hardcore] webcomic! (and that one is relatively new)
And they lost Unforgotten Realms, I hit it with my axe, and several other pieces of content before. Complete with doom saying every time.

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
Zhukov said:
Forums were friendlier and busier...
I totally just read that as "friendlier and bustier." o_O Now I know where my brain is today! Sadly, putting me on staff wouldn't help in the busty department, but I'd exponentially increase the answer to [(tall) * (stick figure)] + Zoë = ???.

On topic, the growing piles of ugliness drove me away from the forum for a bit, but I'm sneaking back in now that there are two new awesome mods. ;)

So no "R.I.P." from me. I'm subscribed to the YouTube channels of previous site contributors, and the forums seem to be a bit more chill. In fact, I even renewed my Pub Club membership during my hiatus. I'm mostly here for the forums rather than a one-stop news source. I get my news from many sites so that my knowledge is as balanced as possible.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Charcharo said:
Kinda agree with Zhukov here.

Mods and the editorial team are too... cold I guess. Too professional. They dont engage much with us.

Which is a feeling I personally do NOT like.
Can you blame them, though? Look what happened to TopazFusion. ;___;

OT: It's not the same, no. I do miss it, yes. Heck, I even miss the pre-Gamergate days.

But there's still some fun to be salvaged. :D

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
BloatedGuppy said:
lacktheknack said:
What happened to Topaz Fusion?
He was forced to watch all seven Fast and the Furious films back-to-back for a week straight. His sanity did not survive.

They say his spirit still haunts these halls.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
BloatedGuppy said:
It's disingenuous to blame GG, although the toxicity on the forums during the height of that was something of a final nail. The decline was well underway long before that became a thing.
I think a good load of the decline started after the Extra Credits thing and the Zynga March Madness.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
BloatedGuppy said:
lacktheknack said:
His willingness to shoot shit with users got him targeted by a lot of the "The Mods Are Colluding" crowd until eventually he stepped down. Discouraged, he vanished from the site, distanced himself from the name "TopazFusion" and doesn't want to come back. Shockingly.

Note: He never actually colluded with anyone. Darn.

Mazinger-Z

Aug 3, 2011
lacktheknack said:
BloatedGuppy said:
lacktheknack said:
His willingness to shoot shit with users got him targeted by a lot of the "The Mods Are Colluding" crowd until eventually he stepped down. Discouraged, he vanished from the site, distanced himself from the name "TopazFusion" and doesn't want to come back. Shockingly.

8archive.moe/gamergatehq/last/50/43505/ - if this isn't main thread you can probably find a link there.

Point being, the thread purports to contain evidence contrary to lacktheknack's statements, said evidence stating that Topaz may or may not have been peering into private user groups and sharing that information with a clique of confidantes.

But go ahead and read it and decide for yourself.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Mazinger-Z said:
lacktheknack said:
BloatedGuppy said:
lacktheknack said:

8archive.moe/gamergatehq/last/50/43505/ - if this isn't main thread you can probably find a link there.

Point being, the thread purports to contain evidence contrary to lacktheknack's statements, said evidence stating that Topaz may or may not have been peering into private user groups and sharing that information with a clique of confidantes.

I was IN that clique of confidantes - he didn't share shit.

That link also says nothing about what you mentioned when I ctrl-f'd "topaz".

But the horror that I might have a sympathetic thing to say with the oh-so-evil ex-mods, and you respond by accidentally confirming what I said about him being targeted. THIS is why I don't sympathize with you people one little bit.

Silence

Living undeath to the fullest
Legacy
Sep 21, 2014
Country
Germany
The funny part about that btw is that nobody in the GG crowd suspected Topaz specifically. He did not shoot shit with users.

He specifically did wrong, got de-modded and left. Because well, what do you do if everyone can see what you have done.

edit: yeah, the archived 8chan thread somehow doesn't have the screenshots/archive of Topaz sharing posts from the gg group, which I saw myself.

R.K. Meades

Oct 1, 2014
Mazinger-Z said:
lacktheknack said:
BloatedGuppy said:
lacktheknack said:

This thread may be relevant to your interests: http://8archive.moe/gamergatehq/thread/54342/#q54496

Mazinger-Z

Aug 3, 2011
R.K. Meades said:
This thread may be relevant to your interests: http://8archive.moe/gamergatehq/thread/54342/#q54496
That's the one.

Additionally, I can understand if lacktheknack didn't notice it, amongst all the music videos and spam that got posted once the user group was opened up due to, according to the group owner, his users shitting up his group.

I think the thread even goes so far as take note of an attempt to burn off the evidence (since they couldn't delete it outright) by forcing the system to retire old posts... The group only had archives back to March at the time due to a buffer cap.

The Harkinator

Did something happen?
Jun 2, 2010
A few years back the Escapist was a bustling hive of content. Zero Punctuation was always the main draw for me, but there was something to come for every day. Miracle of Sound, Extra Credits, Escape to the Movies, The Big Picture, Rhymedown Spectacular, Critical Miss, The Jimquisition, Critical Intel, Love FAQ, and Ask Dr Mark (occasionally) all had content on the site at the time, and were posting regularly. Some had columns to accompany their regular shows, like Yahtzee and Gav.

Not at the same time of course, some shows came and went, and new ones replaced them. But the costs to do so must have been enormous, to pay each content creator for a regular weeks work when there were so many to pay must have been very difficult for The Escapist to keep up. But it all combined to make an excellent site, and having so many regular content creators that drew in massive audiences was a great boon too, because they could occasionally combine on things. For a time there was a combined discussion with Yahtzee, James Portnow, and Movie Bob (and occasionally Jim Sterling) on some topic about video games, and that was great too.

I miss those days, and I'll be honest I find less and less reasons to come back to The Escapist. If it wasn't for a forum RP I joined and have been part of for three years I don't even know if I'd still be around here at all. I still drop in for Yahtzee, and for Critical Miss, but not much else. Plus I barely use the forums anymore, this time notwithstanding.

Thing is, it's possible the Escapist will never get back to the glory days of 2011/12ish because the site was built on its excellent content and sourcing great content creators that can consistently put out good stuff and work on a regular weekly schedule is probably very hard to do.

*wistful sigh*

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Caramel Frappe said:
the silence said:
The funny part about that btw is that nobody in the GG crowd suspected Topaz specifically. He did not shoot shit with users.

He specifically did wrong, got de-modded and left. Because well, what do you do if everyone can see what you have done.

edit: yeah, the archived 8chan thread somehow doesn't have the screenshots/archive of Topaz sharing posts from the gg group, which I saw myself.
Wait, what? Topaz? .. ... Forgive me if I sound oblivious, but please do inform me about what happened.
I know he somewhat took off time from the website but I wasn't aware of what he did / reasons for leaving exactly.

Also personally, GamerGate tends to ruin everyone's day.
Never has it brought anyone together which is why I despise the whole topic.
He was caught posting snips from the GG usergroup (which is private) to the Brovengers for people to laugh at. At that point he either stepped down under the weight of accusations or was asked to step down depending on who you ask.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Ugh, now people are dragging out the corpse of the Brovengers to poke it with sticks some more. Please, take this discussion to PM's or something. It's frankly quite obnoxious to see it continue to get pissed on well after its remains were exhumed and dissected.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Jesus Christ that thread. I need to wash my fucking eyes.

I cannot even BEGIN to detail the hypocrisy of people in that thread calling out other people for "circle jerks" and "hug boxes", but I guess this isn't the thread for that. So WHATEVER MAN. WHATEVER. I'll just be pointlessly irritated for my own sake.

Fappy said:
Ugh, now people are dragging out the corpse of the Brovengers to poke it with sticks some more. Please, take this discussion to PM's or something. It's frankly quite obnoxious to see it continue to get pissed on well after its remains were exhumed and dissected.
You know I didn't even realize it was gone? Some member I was. I think I posted in it once.

I just don't do usergroups. I dunno. I forget they're there.

PS - Weren't you supposed to play DOTA with me, you loser?

R.K. Meades

Oct 1, 2014
Caramel Frappe said:
Perhaps at this time, you or someone could make a similar group to the Brovengers and set some heavy rules? I think that would suffice plus I would be happy to help, say create the Avatar for it or help in some way?
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/The-New-Brovengers

Rule #1: those who talk shit get hit. It doesn't get much heavier than that, sport.

Silence

Living undeath to the fullest
Legacy
Sep 21, 2014
Country
Germany
Caramel Frappe said:
the silence said:

Wait, what? Topaz? .. ... Forgive me if I sound oblivious, but please do inform me about what happened.
I know he somewhat took off time from the website but I wasn't aware of what he did / reasons for leaving exactly.

Also personally, GamerGate tends to ruin everyone's day.
Never has it brought anyone together which is why I despise the whole topic.
So:In the GG group there were some people who brought up these "conspiracy theories" of the Brovengers group constantly shitting on GG users, and "colluding" with mods.
Some believed it, some not.

Then, one day, suddenly the Brovengers group was made open for all, because Daystar hated that all talk was about GG in the group (which was not the point of the group, and we were assured it was not talking about GG, which quite a few people from the GG group themselves believed).
But obviously everyone got interested what was going on in there, and we not only found out, that, in fact, the group basically only talked about GG (we even had a user claiming they were talking about boobs in the group, while they were talking about GG and not about boobs (I think someone even did a time comparison)).
And: Topaz did in fact share screenshots out of the GG group, mostly about the users suspecting "collusion".

The whole situation was, quite frankly, completely absurd. And funny, because talking about the "GG conspiracy" in the Brovengers group basically proved the "conspiracy theorists" right (and mind you, there were quite a few people in the GG group calling out the people to stop suspecting collusion behind everything).

Me personally only bothered two things: Topaz sharing posts from a private group in another group (which is in my mind not right, regardless of what is discussed) and people lying (well, that just means I stopped taking some people serious, but aside from that, whatever, people lie on the internet).

So that's this story. I recommend staying away from it now. Some people were/are way too invested in the story.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Caramel Frappe said:
Fappy said:
I must apologize for my curiosity ... I didn't know Topaz would be tied to the Brovengers and I for one, wish not to disrespect the Group at hand. I also want to say it wasn't entirely the Brovengers fault for what happened- to many people from across the website itself got heavily involved in GamerGate. It just so happened most discussed it in your guy's Group sadly.

I'm pretty fortunate my usergroup UNoPF didn't get hit hard with it ... nor the Injustice League, Catholics, ect.
Perhaps at this time, you or someone could make a similar group to the Brovengers and set some heavy rules? I think that would suffice plus I would be happy to help, say create the Avatar for it or help in some way?
I've talked about making a new group before, but most former members are hesitant to try out of fear we'd just get hounded and harassed again. Maybe once the crazies get tired and move on, but I'm not holding my breath. And people wonder why I am so bitter about this place these days. Its been made abundantly clear that there are (or were?) many people on the site that wanted us gone. That thread posted above is only one of many I saw during the shit storm.

BloatedGuppy said:
Daystar imploded it out of spite. I don't particularly blame him either.

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
the silence said:
It's worth remembering that the group was basically split in half with half the posters talking about GG while the other half didn't want to hear about drama in their UG. Those users went on to make http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/The-Rec-Room