I need an example of a badly written antagonist...

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Almost any antagonist from a Stephen King book / movie (excluding Kathy Bates in Misery, she rocked). More like the bullies in It, Stand By Me, Sometimes They Come Back, the nerdy guy in The Stand, or the religious characters from The Mist. Nostalgia Critic on thatguywiththeglasses.com goes over it pretty well in his reviews. Stephen King bullies / religious nuts are just crazy and sadistic for no apparent reason or motivation. In The Stand, we're supposed to assume the nerd builds a bomb and kills dozens of people because the devil's girlfriend blew him.

Another example might be some of the non-zombie from the original 1960s Night of the Living Dead. Rifftrax had a commentary on it as well. There's a lot of irrational behavior and yelling that feels unrealistic when cannibals lurk outside. It's thought that it's a commentary on racism, but the movie itself never addresses this and George Romero has said that they didn't cast the lead based on his race and that the role wasn't written necessarily for a black man.

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
That evil... thing from Fable 3. Completely hilariously impotent and no motivation, just a plot device to drive the moral choice system in the second half of the game.

lucky_sharm

Aug 27, 2009
A badly written antagonist? Darth Maul from the movie Star Wars the Phantom Menace. He literally has no dialogue whatsoever outside of a few "menacing" grunts of exertion. No motivations, no personality, probably one of the many forgetable characters that get introduced in the prequel trilogy.

eggmiester

Mar 10, 2011
Buchholz101 said:
Sephiroth.

And cue Flame War.
not really dude. what always interested me about sephiroth was the fact that he WAS a good guy- and then he found out about his mam and went nuts.he's interesting because he's a dude who is practically unstoppable physically, but so fragile mentally.he's a well written villian because it actually seems like its impossible to beat him.he's a good villian because EVERY SINGLE TIME he appeared, i thought to myself OH SHIT.

maybe not the most original villian- but a good one nevertheless.

beniki

May 28, 2009
Darth Maul.

He's just kind of there. You don't know anything about him, apart from that he looks like the Devil's love child, and he doesn't really do anything except fail at attacking Jedi and getting cut in half.

In fact, if it wasn't for his double bladed light sabre, no one would remember him at all.

Vibhor

Aug 4, 2010
Albert wesker
He wants to make millions by making everyone zombie. How the hell would he achieve that?

Also, that reminds me.
Tenpenny from Fallout 3

moose_man

Nov 9, 2009
Pompey71 said:
oh... and Sauron from Lord of the Rings! Why is he evil... who knows?!
I haven't read it, but I believe the Silmarillion explains it better. He's basically Satan's servant(Satan being Morgoth).

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Kryzantine said:
Hans Gruber from Die Hard.

Don't get me wrong, he's very well acted, it's just that he has the worst robbery plan of all time. There is no reason for him to disguise this robbery as a terrorist attack. Literally, the only reason I can think for any sensible person to do this is to send a message to the world, and Hans Gruber has no message. He's just the evil German terrorist.
Ahem, he needs the FBI to cut the power, yes he could have done it himself, but he also needs a way of covering his disappearance and "terrorists blow themselves and their hostages up" isn't all that far fetched. Hans Gruber has a classic motivation, it is all about the Benjamins.

OT: Just guessing but probably any character written by Dan Brown.

OT

Sinclair Solutions

Jul 22, 2010
How about the military guy from Avatar? The only reason he wanted to kill the cat people was because he was a huge prick. I guess you could say racism, but I don't think that counts.

Harry Mason

Mar 7, 2011
Alex Mercer from Prototype.
"What?! Someone gave me awesome superpowers? MUST DESTROY MILLIONS OF INNOCENT HUMAN LIVES!"
*gets in tank and begins crushing old ladies*

Seriously. He sucks.

Sinclair Solutions

Jul 22, 2010
Harry Mason said:
"What?! Someone gave me awesome superpowers? MUST DESTROY MILLIONS OF INNOCENT HUMAN LIVES!"

Seriously. He sucks.
But he was voiced by Barry Pepper (Roger Maris in 61*)...and he had a sweet jacket...

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Pompey71 said:
oh... and Sauron from Lord of the Rings! Why is he evil... who knows?!
As far as I know he was one of the council of wizards, like Gandalf, who turned to necromancy and he basically got found out and shunned...I think.

mazzjammin22 said:
Harry Mason said:
SNIP
Seriously. He sucks.
But he was voiced by Barry Pepper (Roger Maris in 61*)...and he had a sweet jacket...
Perhaps he was bullied as a child.

Totally not saying that's what I would do with awesome superpowers.

*cough*

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
Seeing as this is a gaming site I'll plump for a gaming character; Ultimecia. The story made no sense at all but the icing was her complete and utter irrelevance. Apart from the initial surprise at finding yourself doing so, it would have made just as much (if not more) sense to be fighting a sapient teapot.

TheIronRuler said:
Have you seen 'The Watchmen'?
0.o

There weren't even any villains in that film. Well, main characters anyway.