I need some manga.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
MANGA, I tell you, manga. I'm tired of all my anime friends telling me to go watch Sword Art Online when I'm asking for a manga. You'd think they'd know better when I'm known to not have any patience whatsoever.

I can take any manga with two exceptions. First is that I cannot have shoehorned romance. Have it a main part of the plot, or do it well, otherwise I quit. Shoehorned romance drives me up the freaking wall.

Second, for the love of god, please recommend anything that's more mature. I'm tired of shonen/shojo recommendations at this point, what with all the manga I've read and what people are recommending me.

Below is a list of what I've read to get an idea for my tastes. Something mature, and no shoehorned romance would be what I'd like.

- Bleach (out of boredom)
- Naruto (DEAR GOD, THE MEMORIES; NO I DON'T WANT THEM)
- Soul Eater (art's cool)
- Death Note (*usual praise for Death Note*)
- Deadman Wonderland (anime got me interested)
- Berserk (having issues finding all the chapters)
- Akira (awesome, can't really say anything more than that)
- Nana to Kaoru and Nana to Kaoru Arashi (romance that actually gets it right; slightly ecchi)
- Love Hina (out of boredom; sort of okay, I guess)
- Mahou Sensei Negima (cut down the fanservice and then we'll talk)
- Rave Master (meh)
- Fairy Tail (also meh; see complaint about Negima)
- Vagabond (holy hell, this is good)
- Rurouni Kenshin (my childhood, such awesome days)

And yeah. I'd like some manga recommendations. Any good manga out there guys?

IrishBerserker

Oct 6, 2009
The only ones I can think of right now are Beelzebub, Black Lagoon, Tower of God and Vinland Saga. I think they're all technically shonen, but Tower of God, Vinland Saga and Black Lagoon are more mature. If memory serves, they all kind of start off a bit slow. I don't know, I like them, you might too.

Edit: There's also Hellsing, if you haven't tried it.

Edit 2: They all have Wikipedia pages if you want to know more about them, instead of just jumping in. Except Tower of God's page, which has only one line. So if you want to know more about it I could try to explain what it's about, if you want me to. Honestly though, I'd probably come off as a rambling idiot and confuse both of us.

Edit 3: I was wrong Black Lagoon and Vinland Saga are actually seinen manga. Feel kinda stupid for getting that wrong, considering they're two of my favourite manga.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Heads
Silver Spoon
Aku no Hana
Kimi no Knife
Wakeup Deadman
BioMeat: Nectar or Region
ID
Girls of the Wilds

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Genshiken

It's a pretty fun slice-of-life manga about a group of nerds doing nerdy things. It's basically The Big Bang Theory except good.

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
That's a very vague request, especially considering that the term "mature" is rather open to interpretation in of itself (I, for one, wouldn't consider at least half of your examples as "mature"). But I'll offer a few suggestions anyway.

Dorohedoro
Monster
Pluto
20th Century Boys
Otoyomegatari
Parasite

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
Smertnik said:
That's a very vague request, especially considering that the term "mature" is rather open to interpretation in of itself (I, for one, wouldn't consider at least half of your examples as "mature"). But I'll offer a few suggestions anyway.

Dorohedoro
Monster
Pluto
20th Century Boys
Otoyomegatari
Parasite
I pretty much don't want shonen/shojo. And I listed those as manga I've enjoyed due to certain reasons (art, themes, etc).

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Smertnik said:
Fixed that for you.

Sanctuary is hard to find, but it's a really good yakuza story.

Liar Game is only available on the web. It's very intricately planned.

smearyllama

May 9, 2010
Gantz is pretty good. It's pretty much juvenile blood, tits, and violence for the first nine volumes or so, but it gets better. If you can stand all the trying to be edgy, you might really enjoy it.
Battle Royale is good, too, though you may want to watch the movie or read the novel first, to see if you're interested.

Poomermon

Aug 26, 2011
My recommedations:

Vinland Saga - Viking manga somewhat based on actual history. Very detailed art style and pretty mature themes.
Historie - Pretty interesting manga based on ancient greece. Lots of references to actual history.
Hajime no Ippo - Boxing manga. Pretty funny and interesting even if you don't like actual boxing.

Dr. Cakey

Feb 1, 2011
Why would your friends tell you to watch Sword Art Online Ponies.

I read very little manga, but Liar Game is a hell of a lot fun - somebody above mentioned it. Beyond that...idk...Bakuman, because why the hell not?

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I'd suggest using "myanimelist".
It's a GREAT way to use manga you like, to find manga you might like.
-Same goes for anime.

Personally:
Berserk
Hotel (one shot)

Both are VERY good.

Little Woodsman

Nov 11, 2012
Have you given any slice-of-life manga a try? I recommend Yotsuba&! to everyone I can.
Azumanga Daioh to a lesser extent.
And of course Bunny Drop, which I think of as being the less-comedic more serious issues
side of Yotsuba&!

Might also give Ranma 1/2 a try.

Given the ones you said you really liked, probably Monster.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
thesilentman said:
MANGA, I tell you, manga. I'm tired of all my anime friends telling me to go watch Sword Art Online when I'm asking for a manga. You'd think they'd know better when I'm known to not have any patience whatsoever.

I can take any manga with two exceptions. First is that I cannot have shoehorned romance. Have it a main part of the plot, or do it well, otherwise I quit. Shoehorned romance drives me up the freaking wall.

Second, for the love of god, please recommend anything that's more mature. I'm tired of shonen/shojo recommendations at this point, what with all the manga I've read and what people are recommending me.

Below is a list of what I've read to get an idea for my tastes. Something mature, and no shoehorned romance would be what I'd like.

- Bleach (out of boredom)
- Naruto (DEAR GOD, THE MEMORIES; NO I DON'T WANT THEM)
- Soul Eater (art's cool)
- Death Note (*usual praise for Death Note*)
- Deadman Wonderland (anime got me interested)
- Berserk (having issues finding all the chapters)
- Akira (awesome, can't really say anything more than that)
- Nana to Kaoru and Nana to Kaoru Arashi (romance that actually gets it right; slightly ecchi)
- Love Hina (out of boredom; sort of okay, I guess)
- Mahou Sensei Negima (cut down the fanservice and then we'll talk)
- Rave Master (meh)
- Fairy Tail (also meh; see complaint about Negima)
- Vagabond (holy hell, this is good)
- Rurouni Kenshin (my childhood, such awesome days)

And yeah. I'd like some manga recommendations. Any good manga out there guys?
You should read Onani Master, it gives off a bad impression in the beginning but it turns into something fantastic.

What chapter are you on in Negima? cuz it does cut back on the fanservice in the middle when it gets a genre shift to a badass shonen

And for "adult" manga read Velvet Kiss and Liars Paradox

jacob97900

Mar 17, 2009
Try a Manga called Ares, its about a bunch of young mercenaries in a parody of ancient Rome. Also Gantz, if you can get past the main characters jerk phase it gets really good.