I really didn't like Assassin's Creed 3. Here's why.

Tdoodle

Sep 16, 2012
Erik Hamm said:
How the heck did you get through that fight and never die. I must have done that 20 times because apparently lowly prisoners can counter an assassins counter move with ease.
Break their defence rather than countering, then smack them round a couple of times. Easy as.

OT: Not sure I agree that free-running is "pointless". If you want to explore the frontier then the horse is an inconvenience; it won't jump down all rocks, it gets stuck in small paths between trees, it won't cross water etc. It's my go-to if I'm just going from A to B, sure, but if I'm going from A to B via a hunting society mission, feather, trinket and a fort then free-running is the best way to get around a lot of the time.

GenericAmerican

Dec 27, 2009
I didn't like the combat. Sure it was cool at first, but near the end of hte game when you want to just get it over with, combat is mind cripplingly annoying. "I want to kill this guy, and move on to his friend, not bludgeon this guy 50 times."

I don't like Conner, at all. And most all the characters are uninteresting to me.

But what got me the most, was that some side objective were damn near impossible because of various reasons.

"Shoot 3 barrels while on horseback? Have fun actually getting the character to fire!"

"Kill that guy and take his uniform without anyone noticing. He only stops walking near a hay cart and that is also the only location he is not visible to other guards . . . if you kill him from the hay cart you fail the mission."

"Don't kill more than 15 enemies. . . game gives you 15 enemies you MUST kill, and fails you if you don't and you lose the optional objective if you do." *Seriously, wtf, this one pissed me off.

"Reach the location undetected; AI bugs out and is standing on rails and randomly climbing rooftops, requiring full restart of the console and mission to complete."

I really don't want to go on, the game just left me sick to my stomach after a while. I had to force myself to complete it before I had to return the rental.

On a positive note! I liked all the sections featuring Desmond.

Tdoodle

Sep 16, 2012
The worst optional objective I've had so far is on sequence 8, where you have to prevent a target killing two men while killing two men yourself, all while running through a crowd in slow-motion. I must have tried that ten times before giving up, I'm convinced it's not possible (I've seen someone do it online, but they only had to save one of the two men while I fail if he kills one). Absolute piss-boiler. I managed all the ones you mentioned that I've encountered without too much trouble though.

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
The gameplay in Rev wasn't as good as BH, and the gameplay in 3 took a nosedive, along with the story.

1. Horse mechanics suck massive dildo if you go ANYWHERE other than the laid-out dirt paths that wind all over the map. I want to run to my target TODAY, Ubisoft, not have to make the choice of either taking three times as long zigzagging around on the trails or having to ditch the damned horse who gets stuck on ever little rock, puddle, fence post or hill every five seconds.

2. The guns are complete shit. Where is the Hidden Gun? Did we somehow LOSE our most advanced assassination weapon knowledge? I understand that they want to keep guns period-friendly, but lols, really? After revealing an omnipotent alien race, and having the Hidden Gun dating back all the way to Altair's twilight years, you're going to give me crappy flintlock's thatb I have to empty, clean, reload, and press the iron balls into, taking about ten to fifteen seconds?

3. Lolcan'tstabrandomnpcanymore. Why? I guess because there are kids now? It didn't help that orphans are the most annoying NPC ever to exist in history. NOBODY laughs like that. I wanted to smash Conner's face into a wall every time I heard it. "HYUGGA-HYAAH-WAYAHWA-HYAH-HYUCK-HYUCK-DERP!"

4. WHERE DID MY HIGH/LOW PROFILE BUTTON GO?! ALL I HAVE IS R-TRIGGER NOW! I CAN'T SPRINT WHILE CHASING SOMEONE, UBISOFT! CONNER BECOMES ALL SCIZO AND CLIMBS ON EVERYTHING BECAUSE YOU MORONS MADE HIGH PROFILE THE SAME AS FULL-SPRINT! I CAN'T NOT CLIMB SHIT UNLESS I STOP RUNNING,AND BY THEN THEY GET AWAY-*INHALE*

5. Why can't I grab people anymore? That was one of the most useful and fun fighting mechanics in the other games. I can't even just regularly shove soldiers off of rooftops anymore, I have to full-on fight them near the edge of the roof or counter-push them or surprise-kill them.

6. Soldier AI has become idiotic. They stand in the same spot looking for you forever. So you can't move for a long time until they finally lose interest. Half the time even when they can't see you, they somehow know where to investigate where you move to. And anyone who has played know what I mean. "HMMM...I THINK I SAW SOMETHING OVER ON THE RIGHT OF THIS LEDGE...I'LL JUST RANDOMLY COME OVER TO THE LEFT NOW, TOTALLY NOT BECAUSE I HAVE SOME MAGICAL SIXTH-SENSE THAT YOU CLIMBED OVER THERE..." Goddamn Skyrim guards moving to America.

7. Small gripe-Conner's alternate color schemes you can buy at shops don't show up in the cutscenes. They did in 2, BH, and Rev as Ezio, but Conner always has his stock assassin outfit in cutscenes. That disappointed me.

8. Hunting was quite boring. After making black bears, Bocats and Wolves an instinct species by putting in those little quicktime command for the billionth time. I was really hoping for a regular knife-fight with a wolf pack, like I could do in RDR.

9. Conner bores me. Even more than Altair. He's just an annoyingly brooding asshole who doesn't like anybody.

10. Doesn't need to be said, but guys who can bush off your counter. It was fine with the Jager's, but when there are a billion heavy weapon carrier guys, combat gets incredibly tedious and annoying very quickly.

The most enjoyable time I had was with naval combat. That was literally the majority of the fun I had of the game. It should not be that boat battles are the most amusing part of a game about being an assassin. But they were. I was disappointed when I found out there weren't just random stock naval battles, as I played them all up by about sequence 8.

The ending.

See, when I was running around to those two little missions in the post game, where he speaks to that hunter in his village and then goes to the harbor, before I learned what the Pivots actually were, I was expecting it to lead into some revelation of, "So, that's where we can find the device to stop Juno. Good thing you're Desmond's descendant */thewholethingwasananimusmemoryleadinguptoAC4*"

What was any of the point in The Truth if the game actually just ends with Desmond throwing the world into enslavement by Juno? It's like Ubisoft just retcon'd all of the shit they had been dropping hints about since AC2 to literally make an exact copy of the Mass Effect 3 ending.

CATALYST: Well, here's what you can do, Shepard, you can do nothing and go against me, so the galaxy will be destroyed and the cycle will start over again, or you can put your hand on the magical space device, which will send out a wave that will save the galaxy in some way. You can trust me, I'm only an evil AI.

JUNO: Well, here's what you can do, Desmond, you can do nothing and go against me, so the world will be destroyed and the cycle will start over again, or you can put your hand on the magical space device, which will send out a wave that will save the world in some way, except that you will still be dooming your planet because I'm an evil AI.

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
Tdoodle said:
The worst optional objective I've had so far is on sequence 8, where you have to prevent a target killing two men while killing two men yourself, all while running through a crowd in slow-motion. I must have tried that ten times before giving up, I'm convinced it's not possible (I've seen someone do it online, but they only had to save one of the two men while I fail if he kills one). Absolute piss-boiler. I managed all the ones you mentioned that I've encountered without too much trouble though.
Actually, I came to find only one of Washington's bodyguards has to survive. I thought the same as you, but noticed at one point that I got it with one of the bodyguards dead. Just spint-assasinate the two guys, then either pick up the second one's rifle and shoot the guy, or keep running and beat him down. It took me a few tries, but it's pretty easy to kill him before he takes out the second guard.

HalfTangible

Apr 13, 2011
GenericAmerican said:
I didn't like the combat. Sure it was cool at first, but near the end of hte game when you want to just get it over with, combat is mind cripplingly annoying. "I want to kill this guy, and move on to his friend, not bludgeon this guy 50 times."

I don't like Conner, at all. And most all the characters are uninteresting to me.

But what got me the most, was that some side objective were damn near impossible because of various reasons.

"Shoot 3 barrels while on horseback? Have fun actually getting the character to fire!"

"Kill that guy and take his uniform without anyone noticing. He only stops walking near a hay cart and that is also the only location he is not visible to other guards . . . if you kill him from the hay cart you fail the mission."

"Don't kill more than 15 enemies. . . game gives you 15 enemies you MUST kill, and fails you if you don't and you lose the optional objective if you do." *Seriously, wtf, this one pissed me off.

"Reach the location undetected; AI bugs out and is standing on rails and randomly climbing rooftops, requiring full restart of the console and mission to complete."

I really don't want to go on, the game just left me sick to my stomach after a while. I had to force myself to complete it before I had to return the rental.

On a positive note! I liked all the sections featuring Desmond.
And of course, THIS gem:
"Assassinate the messengers without touching the ground. Now here's the horse you're going to be on, and can't properly get off of without touching the ground, OR assassinate properly while riding it, and you fall off whenever they even THINK about shooting their pistols in your general direction."

I'm not sure what it was about Desmond's sequences i liked so much, but yeah, they were AWESOME.

Connor is a douchebag, most of the time for no reason. I mean, sure, it's true that his mentor did f*** all to stop the Templars, but why were you suddenly so harped up on that? What was wrong with him being proud of you?! WASHINGTON ordered the attack on your village, why are you pissed off at your dad, he WARNED you!! How do you know he knew about the attack before he took Washington's letter?!

The real problem, though, is that Connor doesn't seem to ever be... i dunno, light-hearted? Happy?... he doesn't feel like a compelling character because even when he's successful he's angry. His rage carries no weight because he's ALWAYS angry. Did the guy ever crack a smile after the childhood sequences?

Murmillos

Silly Deerthing
Feb 13, 2011
Smeggs said:
The gameplay in Rev wasn't as good as BH, and the gameplay in 3 took a nosedive, along with the story.

The ending.

JUNO: Well, here's what you can do, Desmond, you can do nothing and go against me, so the world will be destroyed and the cycle will start over again, or you can put your hand on the magical space device, which will send out a wave that will save the world in some way, except that you will still be dooming your planet because I'm an evil AI.
There is no magical space device that sends out a wave that saves the world. The device releases Juno whom then uses the technology that we've explored to prevent the worst of the disaster from the solar flare happening.
The end report that stuff still happened and that the worst appeared to be from over -- but there was never any indicates it had ended.

I mean, I agree that it has a similar under tones to ME3 ending, but at least AC3 set up this premise in a stronger more coherent and fluid manner then ME3 last minute ass-pull.

AC set up and clearly made known that a massive solar flare is going to hit earth in the near future (the 'end date'), they also regularly referenced the previous solar flare that destroyed the First Civilization before. We also learn what this device in AC3 was set up to attempt to achieve (by Juno) during Desmond's sequences.

The only thing that ends up being that last minute zinger is that we find out Juno is evil...
but even so, the premise of that reveal keeps in play the over all theme of the game (control & obedience [Templar] vs self governance [Assassin]).

ME3 ending: Last second space god which controlled everything but didn't have actual control - Magical device with zero foreshadowing of its function - Complete change from the primary theme from the previous 90-120 hours of game play.

GenericAmerican

Dec 27, 2009
HalfTangible said:
And of course, THIS gem:
"Assassinate the messengers without touching the ground. Now here's the horse you're going to be on, and can't properly get off of without touching the ground, OR assassinate properly while riding it, and you fall off whenever they even THINK about shooting their pistols in your general direction."

I'm not sure what it was about Desmond's sequences i liked so much, but yeah, they were AWESOME.

Connor is a douchebag, most of the time for no reason. I mean, sure, it's true that his mentor did f*** all to stop the Templars, but why were you suddenly so harped up on that? What was wrong with him being proud of you?! WASHINGTON ordered the attack on your village, why are you pissed off at your dad, he WARNED you!! How do you know he knew about the attack before he took Washington's letter?!

The real problem, though, is that Connor doesn't seem to ever be... i dunno, light-hearted? Happy?... he doesn't feel like a compelling character because even when he's successful he's angry. His rage carries no weight because he's ALWAYS angry. Did the guy ever crack a smile after the childhood sequences?
The messengers actually worked out well for me. I was able to stay behind the different groups of them long enough to shoot most of them.

Only the final one was able to turn to shoot at me, but I played ring-around-a-tree long enough to reload.

And no, Conner never smiled once . . . Even when he seemed to like something.

Alternative

Jun 2, 2010
I felt like the combat was far simpler then it should be.

it boils down to this (no matter how many enemys really) press the counter button when the prompt appears above the enemys head. Then hit attack to preform an insta kill.
Against tougher enemys (ie the Officers,Scottish Heavys ectera) its Counter, then hit the disarm button then attack them for the kill.

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
HalfTangible said:
And of course, THIS gem:
Piece of piss with a three-shot gun I had (I shot the three riders with one shot). The problem I had was my horse got hung up on some scenery as I was chasing down the final guy and he managed to give the order to destroy the village even though I still had about a minute left on the Full Sync timer.

Seriously, the game punished me for being ahead of schedule.

And the Free Running in the series is far too twitchy for the number of chase sequences they toss at you. I failed the final chase a good half dozen times just because I kept getting caught up on shit and he'd get just far enough ahead of me where I lost him... even though I could often still see him on the screen. Not once did I ever get to the ship without losing the 50m rule.

Mind you, I've not really made an effort to do a Full Sync run and probably won't since I've yet to bother yet. But I do enjoy attempting to fulfill the requirements.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well, I'd point out that all of that freedom in these games had three major problems:

#1: Most gamers have tended to be pretty smart, and even dumb ones learn quickly. Giving players a lot of options on how to do things, or a sandbox with general objectives, tends to lead to them getting things done very quickly and easily, as well as in some cases showing off problems with a limited AI.

People talk about how satisfying the old freeform assasinations were in this game and others like Hitman *BUT* when a lot of those games were new people also talked about how totaly easy they were, and how they blew through the game and felt it was too short as a result.

The thing is that scripted sequences and doing the specific tasks the developer wants can be trickier and sometimes brutally hard (I can't say in the case of AC III yet), allowing them to make the game last longer and seem more difficult, leading to the satisfaction of beating a specific sequence.

Personally I prefer the freeform style.

#2: A point to consider is that with each new generation/installment of games, they become increasingly less aimed at gamers, but at "casuals", the everyman. People who get paralyzed when they have a lot of desicians ahead of them and can't figure out how to proceed. Your typical casual wants a very straightforward definition of his objective and how to get about going there.

Even a relatively easy feat takes on a new meaning to a casual if they have to decide how to do it, especially if they are concerned with missing something if they do it the wrong way.

To some extent I can understand the concern over missing something, since game developers seem to increasingly encourage people to do things specific ways without nessicarly spelling out their intent and punishing people who do the wrong thing when they have an option, oftentimes without making it immediatly clear they are doing so. I think Dishonored is a recent example of this taken to an extreme, where your basically handed a bunch of ways to kill and then punished at the end of the game if you bothered to play with all the toys and options they gave you.

#3: A point many people tend to not want to look at is how much the gaming industry has been selling out to it's critics, especially after the "victories" involved in things like the Hot Coffee suit.

The idea of a so called "murder simulator" caught on as a bad thing, and to be honest while it was used to describe a lot of the wrong game, ones like "Hitman" and "Assasin's Creed" really are exactly that. A lot of those freeform assasinations can be considered fairly realistic for going about the subject matter. Your average gamer is not an incredibly lethal gentically engineered assasin, or parkour master with a switchblade finger, but the thought behind some of this stuff is pretty devious, and to be honest some of the better set ups make it so it's possible to complete the murders without any of those special skills.

Overall this is pretty harmless, not really much differant than a murder mysrtery where they go through how a killer did something step by step especially during the conclusion, but I can see why the graphical nature of it disturbs some people, for the same way a lot of people don't get the entertainment of murder mysteries, horror movies, or heck, why an Assasin might be a good guy at all.

There has also been some interesting stuff I've read over the years tying the capabilities of gamers to the games they play. Playing a FPS isn't going to make you a special forces member, but you ARE going to learn things like small unit tactics, setting up kill zones and choke points, and all kinds of crap. Ironically stuff gamers learn mentally and can put to use reflexivly is the hard part, simply teaching someone to shoot a gun is comparitively simple (militias can be taught to shoot effectively pretty quickly, it's happened all over the world). You probably know more about how to kill people effectively, and in a practical sense, from playing video games than most people who do not play them ever will. There is a reason why the military uses simulators and such based on games to help teach small unit tactics and the like.

The point here is that with the concerns, whether they are justified or not (I mean there is plenty of ways to learn the same stuff at a similar level, so it really can't be justified), I can see why a lot of games that encouraged you to "think like a killer" and actually plan a murder and how to get away with it, are chilling out and becoming increasingly scripted.

If what's being said is true about how you need to go about killing a lot of the targets in a very scripted (chase, wait for cinematic) fashion I'd imagine that deflects a lot of criticism about the game being a murder sim, you aren't really expected to get into a killer's mindset and play a murder very often, there is an increased layer of seperation between the player and the character being controlled.

Also I'll point out that even in a country with a right to bear arms, goverments get pretty wary about what civilians know, even at a textbook level. If you take a look at some of the subversive/anti-goverment literate from the 1960s, a lot of it was basically about gueriella warfare to get the goverment's goat. You had a number of left-wing terrorist groups, and a lot of people pretending toplay the role. Things like the "Anarchists Cookbook" were from this era. At any rate, if you ever get the chance to look at an old "Urban Gueriella's Handbook" of the sort that disturbed the goverment and had the FBI even hunting for some of the publisher, consider that your likely to go "well duh" at a lot of the information in there, you probably picked a lot of it up on your own just by playing video games. You know stuff like where the blind spots of someone entering a are going to be (and which ones to check if you enter a room), how a team might position itself to set up a killzone, concepts like overlapping fields of fire, and how to cover an advance, crap like that, you've probably done a ton of it with AI bots or even without thinking about it in pre-made FPS teams. If you consider how they acted before, it shouldn't be terribly surprising that there is a goverment reaction to all sorts of video games that encourage this kind of thinking. Also the goverment has gotten increasingly savvy, the goverment can't censor people directly, but it understand people can. Civilian groups that work closely with politicians are a big too for a reason, if some Senator gets behind say "concerned mothers of America" and they pressure a company into engaging in censorship, it's the same thing. The ties between private groups and politicians worth both ways, sometimes private money influances politicians to do favor for businesses, sometimes political favor is used to form civilian groups to use as tools.

In the end given that casuals don't care enough and keep buying the games, I think a lot of changes are simply motivated by gaming companies taking the path of least resistance, why bother to fight for the medium, when it's not actually impacting your sales to make compromises, even if they are ones that shouldn't be made in principle. After all, I can almost virtually guarantee 90% of the people playing these games aren't making the complaints about a lack of freedom the way real gamers are. Most of them probably care more about whether the cinematics were cool... which is kind of sad.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Therumancer said:
There has also been some interesting stuff I've read over the years tying the capabilities of gamers to the games they play. Playing a FPS isn't going to make you a special forces member, but you ARE going to learn things like small unit tactics, setting up kill zones and choke points, and all kinds of crap. Ironically stuff gamers learn mentally and can put to use reflexivly is the hard part, simply teaching someone to shoot a gun is comparitively simple (militias can be taught to shoot effectively pretty quickly, it's happened all over the world). You probably know more about how to kill people effectively, and in a practical sense, from playing video games than most people who do not play them ever will. There is a reason why the military uses simulators and such based on games to help teach small unit tactics and the like.
No, no, no, no and NO! This is wrong, terribly wrong.

Playing FPS-games does no teach you anything meaningful about how to operate in a combat zone. I had played FPS games for a good 10+ years when I joined the army and so had several of my platoon mates. We still failed just about every combat exercise we tried for the first two months, simply because how we did things in America's Army/Call of Duty/Medal of Honor/Red Orchestra is nowhere near how you do it in real life. This is like saying that "Watching Cook Along with Gordon Ramsay makes you a good cook", it just doesn't happen. You might learn some theoretical basics on how to cook, but if someone put you in the kitchen you'd still be at a loss if you've never cooked before in your life.

In a similar vein, using a firearm in an effective manner is hard. As in "takes years to become really good at"-hard. After one year in a support role in the army my proficiency with the swedish AK-5 was still massively subpar to the skill of those having frontline duties. Sure, compared to a civilian I was an expert on the AK-5 but the frontline and specialist guys were much, much better at all parts of using their weapon. The reason militias work in some parts of the world (read: Africa) is because everyone is equally inept at using the weapons they are given. If they faced an actual army they'd melt away in seconds, which is what we've been seeing in Kivu the last few years, as soon as the DRC army rolls in, the warlords back off, because their ill-trained units have no proper chance.

Lastly, as a gamer of soon to be 20 years, I can tell you that I learned more about how to effectively kill people when I studied anatomy and physiology and did an internship in an ER during my studies to become an RN then I ever did playing games or watching movies. The simplified "kill mechanics" we see in games really do not lend themselves to mimicking in real life. Not only do enemies in game suffer from Critical Existence Failure, the methods you use to kill people in games are not comparable to how murder generally happens in real life.

All this "gamers can become good killers/soldiers/rebels"-rethoric is bullshit. Nothing more, nothing less. What gaming gives us is a very basic, theoretical understanding of some of the concepts used in the military or by professional agents. Just like reading a book about knitting will make you understand a little more about knitting. Going from there to actually doing these things our character does in a game is a massive leap however. Trust me, I've done that leap myself.

Captcha: Full stop. Yeah, that's fitting Captcha.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Gethsemani said:
Therumancer said:
No, no, no, no and NO! This is wrong, terribly wrong.

Playing FPS-games does no teach you anything meaningful about how to operate in a combat zone. I had played FPS games for a good 10+ years when I joined the army and so had several of my platoon mates. We still failed just about every combat exercise we tried for the first two months, simply because how we did things in America's Army/Call of Duty/Medal of Honor/Red Orchestra is nowhere near how you do it in real life. This is like saying that "Watching Cook Along with Gordon Ramsay makes you a good cook", it just doesn't happen. You might learn some theoretical basics on how to cook, but if someone put you in the kitchen you'd still be at a loss if you've never cooked before in your life.

In a similar vein, using a firearm in an effective manner is hard. As in "takes years to become really good at"-hard. After one year in a support role in the army my proficiency with the swedish AK-5 was still massively subpar to the skill of those having frontline duties. Sure, compared to a civilian I was an expert on the AK-5 but the frontline and specialist guys were much, much better at all parts of using their weapon. The reason militias work in some parts of the world (read: Africa) is because everyone is equally inept at using the weapons they are given. If they faced an actual army they'd melt away in seconds, which is what we've been seeing in Kivu the last few years, as soon as the DRC army rolls in, the warlords back off, because their ill-trained units have no proper chance.

Lastly, as a gamer of soon to be 20 years, I can tell you that I learned more about how to effectively kill people when I studied anatomy and physiology and did an internship in an ER during my studies to become an RN then I ever did playing games or watching movies. The simplified "kill mechanics" we see in games really do not lend themselves to mimicking in real life. Not only do enemies in game suffer from Critical Existence Failure, the methods you use to kill people in games are not comparable to how murder generally happens in real life.

All this "gamers can become good killers/soldiers/rebels"-rethoric is bullshit. Nothing more, nothing less. What gaming gives us is a very basic, theoretical understanding of some of the concepts used in the military or by professional agents. Just like reading a book about knitting will make you understand a little more about knitting. Going from there to actually doing these things our character does in a game is a massive leap however. Trust me, I've done that leap myself.

Captcha: Full stop. Yeah, that's fitting Captcha.
Sorry, but I have to question a lot of your claims. For one, I did ten years as casino security, while it was a dog and pony show, some of the training we had to do (because it looks good on paper) was in entry. You know in theory if someone was holed up in one of the hotel rooms and we needed to get them out of there, here is how we go in (hopefully with the police, but maybe not). Mostly the training was because it looks good on paper for the casino to say "hey our officers can do all of this" not that we'd ever be used that way anyway (long story) at any rate I should still have a certificate from Homeland Security around somewhere and everything. I can tell you first hand having actually trained with the police, gone into rooms, been graded on it, and everything else, is that it's very similar. No, video game experience is NOT going to teach you everything, but it will give you a far better grasp of it than someone who hasn't done this kind of thing virtually, and does make it a bit easier. The potential blind spots and such are pretty much the same, and unsurpisingly the guys programming video games tend to hide guys in those places because that's what real people would try to hide or bushwhack you from in situations like that. Of course it does vary with the game. A lot of video game companies have mde a big deal about consulting with police, armed forces, etc... to set their games up, and honestly having trained for the real thing it's a lot like the training exercises, this is probably what the guys consulting show the game developers... no a game is NOT a replacement for actual practice, but you'd be surprised at how useful that theory is.

Likewise your comments about firearms training and such make me wonder. Understand something, to shoot someone with a gun does not take years of bloody practice. To get "good" by military standards yes, but to use a gun accuratly for most situations? Nope. It doesn't take the police or NRA that long to certify people, and as I said before, miliias and gueriellas train people to be dangerous with them (to the enemy) pretty bloody quickly. If it took years, pretty much every gueriella movement in modern history would have failed.

Perhaps the issue is that your reading what I said as pretty much "playing a game about the special forces will make you equivilent to the special forces". Hell no, it won't. It teaches tactics and theory, and that in of itself can be considered very dangerous knowlege and people with that kind of knowlege are a lot more capable of finding ways to put it to use if they ever need or want to. To be fair, in a lot of cases this kind of stuff can get the person trying it killed, the number of people who have screwed up using variations on things like "The Anarchist Cookbook" is pretty substantial, but still, when it comes to the guy with the knowlege, and someone who doesn't know anything, whose going to be more effective and get into shapre to use it faster if they need to? That's pretty bloody obvious. Hence why "murder simulators" are cause for alarm, it's the same kind of situation that used to be a cause for concern with "urban gueriella manuals", just an updated version of the same basic fear for te current generation. It doesn't turn people into assasins or special operatives, any more than those books enabled every hippy with a grudge against the military industrial complex, though they DID apparently contribute to the relative success of groups like the SLA (which kidnapped Patty Hearst and allegedly managed to brainwash her... kind of an irrelevent point when Daddy can buy Jimmy Carter).

At any rate, the point is I'm not a "killer" like you claim to be, but as someone who has really done this kind of training, trust me, the information is pretty bloody accurate in a lot of cases.

That said, I am a huge believer in free speech, and someone who has in the past argued half the point of the right to keep and bear arms is for possible insurrection against the goverment (even today this is kind of relevent, as even if the military backed the goverment action against a popular revolution would basically decimate the country, small arms might be no match against tanks and planes, but if you demolish everything using that kind of firepower to stop a popular revolt, the country the leadership winds up with afterwards is going to be a shadow of what they wanted... the key point here being "a popular revolt"). Thus I have no real issue with people having gueriella manuals, information on making IEDs, home made versions of napalm (fuel oil and ivory snow flakes for those wondering), and all that other crap. As a result I have no problem with video games, even if they went beyond the current level down to instructional videos. I simply understand the arguements and concerns, it's all the same crap people used to argue back in my father's day, except updated with new technology. People used to cry about "The Anarchist's Cookbook" and "The Poor Man's James Bond" and stuff like that, today they cry about video games that involve too much reality or attempt to simulate crimes.

AmuroRay

Oct 31, 2012
I think the simple words are, you have not completed all of the missions in game, as I have watched my Girlfriend play the game, and found her having alot of chase scenes that require creativity to 100% sync. Including rooftops, swan dives, and the likes. And she has played every AC3 game to 100% completion. I without hesitation, do not believe one word you say. This is not a rant. Do not think that.

cartman2342

Nov 10, 2012
***I may use some spoilers throughout this response by the way.***

I am reading all of these responses, saying all the bugs, how disappointed they are with the game. But in my personal opinion, I thought this was a fantastic game. I am just here to voice my opinion on what I have read.

I am reading all about the bugs in AC3. I'll tell you, I couldn't agree more. I have seen many bugs and problems with the game play and how smoothly it runs. But have you seen the development and the lapse between AC2 and AC3? Ubisoft has completely changed the running style of the Assassian, came with a new Anvilnext weather system, a whole new combat system, and more. We have not seen changes like these, this drastic, in the franchise. It blows me away how much criticism they are getting for pretty much starting from scratch with AC3. With all of these new engines, we CAN'T EXPECT the first release of AC3 to be completely flawless, and if you do, you do not understand the gaming business. This first patch was a beta test pretty much, and I guarantee the first patch of AC3 with fix all of these bugs you speak of and I speak of, and the game will be dramatically better.

I am also seeing many people talk about how the storyline runs completely off track at moments. Well it has the entire franchise pretty much. In AC Brotherhood, do you remember when someone kills a courtesans (or however you spell it) and then you have to find him and kill him? That had nothing to do with the storyline, and yet you speak of it like you have never seen it before. There are other examples, but can't think of them off the top of my head. Then you are talking about how side-missions have nothing to do with the storyline, you can't understand proper english because they are called SIDE missions for a reason. And still, most of the side missions, like the Homestead missions and Peg Leg missions will help you throughout the story line; like providing you money and giving you a uniform from Peg Legs mission with Captain Kidd. And naval missions as well: Yeah, they may be random naval wars, but some missions you complete you have to do with the main story line, and plus, they are just kick ass.

I also see many people bagging on how bad of a character Connor is. I personally think Connor is a great character. I see many people talking about how he is never happy and how he is never satisfied and how he lashes out on Achilles for no reason; well, that is what makes him a great character. You people don't realize WHAT Connor is actually fighting for. He is not fighting for the colonists, he is not fighting for the colonists freedom, he is fighting for his villages peace and freedom and only the villagers. He lashes out on George Washington and Sam Adams and the other founding fathers because they were not supporting what CONNOR was fighting for. Connor was never a Patriot or a Loyalists, he was merely fighting, in a way for both sides, but whatever side would give his villagers peace and freedom. That is what made Connor unique, and that is what you people are missing out on. I realize that this is my opinion, but however you are criticizing Connor for false reasons. And Connor lashes out on Achilles because he thought he knew more. Now this I didn't like about Connor, lashing out on Achilles, I understand where you come from from that perspective, but Connor does apologize to Achilles and finally acknowledges how much good Achilles brought for Connor. BTW, Connor does smile ever once in a while if you complete all of the Homestead missions, like at the wedding.

The combat, I will admit, is pretty damn easy if you know how to counter each of the opponents you face. But when hasn't the combat been easy as h*ll? The entire franchise has been based off of counter kills and counters, and maybe 10% of actually attack and parry. But once again, you speak like it is the first time it has been like this. Ubisoft has just revamped the combat and made it more fluent, not necessarily easier. Plus, in the past games, other than AC Brotherhood and Revelations, they didn't have guns in the games, and in AC Brotherhood and Revelation, you hardly encountered guns. Ubisoft HAD to make the combat more fluent, smooth, and more aggressive to be able to balance with facing guns everywhere you go in AC3.

Then in the main post, speaking about pacing. Once again, this has happened in the franchise before, and yet we are all putting the criticism on AC3, expecting it to be amazing the first patch. Remember in the beginning in AC2, the whole beginning of the game was doing errands for your father, picking 1 fight, and just a slow pace. As well as in Brotherhood, the whole beginning of the game was running errands for Montergonni. And speaking of the tutorial, we are complaining about the tutorial, but AC3 was the first game in the entire series that if you were to, new Assassians (new to assassian's creed) could really jump right into the franchise, as in the other games, you really had to play the previous games to get a good understanding. So Ubisoft pretty much had to add a separate tutorial for the new Assassians coming in. I think we are all criticizing AC3 in all of the wrong ways that we have seen before.

The maps are too big? Well obviously it seems like that because the entire AC franchise has been based off of a compact city, other than Brotherhood in Rome, (and even in Rome you were limited of where you could go around the city) and the franchise has really never expanded in the way that they have in AC3. The people who are complaining about the size of the maps, well would you rather have that, or have the entire frontier be the size of Florence in the previous AC's? The maps give us a vast area of exploring and we are complaining about how free-running has no point, well the people who speak like that don't KNOW HOW TO free-run in AC3. If you want to free-run, Ubisoft gives you opportunities to with trees, rock climbing, and in the city, Ubisoft grants you with alleyways to sneak through and being able to sneak through other people's houses. The only problem I see with free running is on rooftops, and the only reason why is because previous AC's have been based off of roof top running, while AC3 is really based off of hidden path ways, walking through the people on the streets, and somewhat roof top. We are criticizing the free-running because AC gamers have not yet evolved to the new look of the entire AC franchise. I'd rather have an expanding series than having the same old same old flat rooftops, same architectural design in towers and in buildings, and everything in between. If you didn't notice, which all of you have, Ubisoft NEEDS to expand like they did in AC3 because if we were to base the environment off of all the recent AC's, it would become more dull and vague the more you play and the AC series would go downhill. Us, AC players needed this expansion to be exposed to this kind of environment and to be able to expand in the future.

Now to the beginning of AC3, I absolutely loved the first few sequences of AC3. I see many criticizing this part of the game, but I loved it. It exposed us the to English side of Connor, and if we didn't know about Haytham and we didn't get to notice what he was fighting for and why, we wouldn't fully understand Connor and the story. We saw how Connor got the English heritage, too. If the game started out as Connor just as a kid and playing tag with his friends, later in the game, we wouldn't understand how some Templar Englishman was the father of a cold-hearted, thick blooded, angry, aggressive Indian boy named Connor. Ubisoft added this part of the game to better explain to us, Assassians, a better understanding of Connor, his background, and why Connor was going after his father and wanted to finish off the Templars. BTW, we wouldn't know Charles Lee and Haytham's other friendly Templars and why they went after Connor's village if it wasn't for the beginning of the game. Ubisoft did this for the better understanding for us, the players.

In conclusion, I completely agree with the disappointment in all of the bugs and laggy cut-scenes and all of that other stuff, but we are completely looking over the actually greatness of AC3. We are not realizing that Ubisoft and this franchise have represented the Revolutionary in an astonishing way that no other industry could replicate. We are over-looking the greatness of the frontier, and the greatness of the colonies and how well-represented they are in this game. Even though these areas may be linear, which for the most part, they are, for the first time Ubisoft expanding in this way, it is a GREAT step forward. We are over-looking the great naval warfare and we are over-looking the great concept of the Homestead and how you manage your Homestead. We are over-looking all of these great aspects of AC3 and replacing them with all of these complaints. This was the first release of AC3, and you need to realize that in time, AC3 and Ubisoft will learn from these mistakes and in a month or two, AC3 will be a revamped, great game that has been refined to its pulp. This game, in my opinion, is my GotY, because I noticed how truly great this game is and how great it represented history and how it weaved the Assassians Creed franchise into this historical time period in our history. This game was absolutely fantastic in my opinion, and it is, by far, the best AC yet and my favorite game I have played.

Sorry for sounding critical against you guys, but it is just irritating to see all of these complaints against the franchise when we are just ignoring how ground-breaking and amazing this game is and how of a big step forward this was for Ubisoft and how hard it was and how much work went into this great game. That is it from me. I would love to debate more about this, because I am a total AC fan. Thanks you for reading.

Kyber

Oct 14, 2009
Oh god, on Friday i went to pick up AC3 that had arrived in the mail on Tuesday i think. I wasn't really sure about picking it up because my money situation is a bit unstable, and if i would have left it at the post office they would've sent it back and i wouldn't have to pay for it, but i went and picked it up, and not just that, i took it out of the package even when i knew, i couldn't play it before Monday. So there's no way i can get my money back on it now, and i really want to, because everyone seems to agree with you that it's shit.

cartman2342

Nov 10, 2012
It's not shit at all lol that is the funny thing. If you love the AC franchise, it's not close to shit. It's awful how much criticism this game is getting, and it hasn't went through one patch yet, and after that patch, it will be refined.

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
Leonardo Chaves said:
Netrigan said:
2) Less emphasis on assassination missions.
How is that possible? Revelations was already a super hero action game...
They're not missions, they're just objectives. Go here, stab this guy with no mission parameters or explanation beyond "he's a Templar". They're not even in Restricted Zones, so there's no more challenge to it than stabbing a random soldier on the street.

Maybe Revelations was just as bad in this regard, but I can't really remember many details about it beyond everything being kind of disappointing or unnecessary.