I really don't like Deus Ex: HR

Titan Buttons

Apr 13, 2011
With the stealth options, isn't there a means to go completely invisible therefore allowing you to sneak past everyone without having to klock eveyone in the face so they enter a magic-comma?

While I do find it a massive pain that I die pretty easily in if I try to go in guns blazing, I'm ok with it because the protaginist isn't ment to be a super-solider, he is just a normal gun with some fancy toys to give him an edge.

Irriduccibilli

Jun 15, 2010
Oh noes, the control is not anything like other standard shooter games, and oh noes, I die when I get hit by five bullets...
let me ask you a question. What do you prefer, enemies that are super inteligent and can spot or hear you 100 feet away even though you a completely hidden in a goddamn bush (that would be your Crisis enemies), or enemies that have certain simple routes even though it seems dumb (that would be your Metal Gear Solid. Seriously, there is nothing worse when you try to use stealth and you blow your cover jsut by making a slight mistake, thats why I like the stealth in this game. Also, you can go in a full frontal assault, I just finished the game a second time using the frontal assauly tactic, and I found that more easy than sneaking. Thats why the game says that you should spend you praxis points wisely. You CAN play the game any way you want, IF you just spend your points wisely. Of course a frontal assault wont work if you spent all your points on a stealth skill instead of, lets say, opgrading your damage threshold or recoil dampening.
Of course you hate this game if you don't know how to play a Deus Ex game, this isnt a goddamn CoD game.
It really just sounds like you really suck at the game and therefor bashes it. If you play this game like a CoD game, you WILL die... alot, but if you are careful and patient, and plan your attacks or sneak attempt, it's much more fun.
And lastly, I like that you can't take more than 3-5 bullets, it just makes you play more careful, and makes you think.

Oh yeah, one last thing.
The different playstyles award you with the, somewhat, same amount of Xp, IF you succed. For example, if you manage to sneak through a compound without being spotted once, you will be awarded with a bonus Xp award called Ghost that gives you 500 Xp which is more than going in guns blazing.
And also, non-lethal takedowns are more risky than lethal takedowns, and therefor reward you with more Xp than lethal takedowns. Other people in this thread explained this better

Pakkie

Apr 4, 2010
IMO I agree, I like playing fast-pace and upfront, I dislike stealth and the only other way to play was hide behind cover a sit there, which is boring. I couldn't play it how I liked....
So I just did not find it fun :<.

FreakSheet

Jul 16, 2011
1) You can choose how to play, you just can't run and gun. Quickest way to failure. You wan't run and gun? go play COD. You can choose aggressive front door bang bang, but you have to plan it. Look at how the soldiers move, see the best way to kill them, using the fewest bullets possible. You can also choose to just avoid confrontations entirely. its up to you.

2) Yes, of course you can crouch behind them. You make no noise. How else could you sneak up behind one and knock him out? And they are moving between two points because THATS THE PATROL ROUTE THEY WERE ORDERED TO FOLLOW. If they hear noise, they will investigate. If they see someone not moving, they will check it out.

3) Non-Lethal gives 30xp. Lethal gives 20, if you get a headshot. Frankly, non-lethal is more difficult, since they can be woken up by fellow soldiers

4) I guess you didn't get the laser sight. Free in one of the first side missions.

I look foward to your return to CoD.

Vibhor

Aug 4, 2010
Holy shit! Some one didn't like a game that was not perfect in the first place!
Man the harpoons! I repeat, MAN THE HARPOONS!
Seriously, have you even played the original? If not then the game wasn't even intended for you.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Knobody13 said:
LOL and i wish everyone would stop telling me i suck at games. what is that about?I;m playing on normal difficulty and i can literally die within a half second if im at full health and out of cover. I have no problem playing this game sneakily and peaking out from behind cover. In fact im bored because its too easy. But i assumed (there's my first mistake right there) that the game forced me to use a first person when out of cover to support an fps style of play if i so desired.
I hate to say it mate, but I suck at stealth on a good day and was never any good at those games that gave you a health bar made out of rice crackers (like so many Tom Clancy games) yet once I got the hang of DX:HR, I am able to sneak past a room full of baddies and hack and steal all their shit or ruin everyone's lives with a shot to the face with my heavily customized 10mm or a we'll placed double takedown if the situation calls for it. Any above-average gamer will probably learn how to deconstruct a threat by the time they purchase more high-end augments. If the stealth is boring then I'd suggest upping the difficulty, though at the same time you insist that your health bar is too wimpy. I guess you've got you're work cut out for you for that higher challenge you've been after.

Sicram

Mar 17, 2010
What is the most "meh" to me in this case is how your playstyle is altered because of the exp (mine is a bit, anyway) seeing as you get way more exp at non-lethaling someone in melee than lets say... headshoting someone with a silenced weapon on the other side of the visible area.

But, I can at least see that yes, you actually have to get there and you have to use a battery to be able to do that so... ok. But the "merciful soul" bonus for non-lethal is ok for my playstyle now but will cripple me a lot later When I truly go guns a balzin' (which I actually haven't had much difficulties at all with, on hardest o.0).

I don't think the game is as good as some people are toting and as said, the AI is quite meh with it's riggidness and dull "senses".

Gonna write a review on mah blag when I've gone through it in 2 different ways, also what platform do you play it on? I play on PC and haven't had any problems with controls and so forth, then again, I rebound almost a thrid of the keys :p

aivalera

Aug 30, 2011
Knobody13 said:
Okay, from what i have played so far i am not very impressed.

For starters this game claims that you can "play it how you want." Well that couldn't be farther from the truth. This is a stealth game plain and simple; you just get to choose whether it is a game where u shoot people that know your around there somewhere, shoot people that have no idea your there, or u can choose to not kill people but instead put them into a magical coma with your non lethal pistol/tazer and tranq rifle. But what you cannot do under any circumstance is stand up and stop using their stupid ass fucking cover system, more on that later, because u will die instantly.

but u know what i dont give a frak if the game doesn't want to give me choice as long as the gameplay im pigeonholed into is good. I actually LIKE stealth games. The splinter cell games are great fun. I love metal Gear Solid. I've played every single Bethesda game as a sneak character, ive played 3 SOCOM games, i played stalker like a kneay ghost dishing out Ukranian justice and honestly u could list a trillion more examples; basically stealth games are my shit. So i start this game with the intention of playing it how they want me to and after about an hour or so i realize how freaking dumb the AI is and how stupid the EXP distribution is.

lets start with the "AI" and all the wonderful intelligence they have been blessed with. basically every single enemy i have come across has one single set path where they walk between one or 2 points, stopping occasionally. They never deviate at all or have any sort of realistic rhyme or reason to how they are moving. They cant seem to see anything u do except for randomly every once and a while when they are nowhere near u. They can hear up to about 3 feet away from themselves. unless u dare try to kill someone with a melee attack. Heaven forbid u harm a human being(but we will get back to that) Basically if u are crouching and u arent directly in front of someone u could follow them around their entire patrol route without them noticing. 2 people are in a room less than 10 feet from each other. No problem just melee on then walk over and melee the other. Stealth AI is notoriously bad but this is just a joke.

but i guess the thing that pisses me off most of all, is that certain gameplay types actually get more experience than others.u get MORE experience for not killing someone(remember the magical coma). and u get loads more experience for meleeing someone but make sure u do a nonlethal melee attack because ure character has to kill people in the noises way possible. because u know getting stabbed is way noisier than getting the shit beaten out of you. This makes no sense.

and the controls are just freaking awful. U have no choice but to use toggle iron sights, when u stick to cover u cant peek with the iron sight button but u have to move to the edge. the melee button and cover change button do different things depending on if u hold or tap them/ The sprint is a joke. most of the upgrades are pointless and feel like they should have been unlocked from the beginning.

Oh and the voice acting is shitty but u cant tell because the idle animations during conversations look like the character has parkinsons 50 percent of the time.

The music and art are nice tho. I guess that is a plus. So ya someone please tell me what im doing wrong or why I'm wrong.
While I respect the points you make I have to disagree with alot of them.

First off, although it may seem like there is only one way to do things there is actually quite alot. for the very first mission when augmented, I found twenty ways to get through the first area (the area with only four guards). Secondly you have only played Deus Ex HR by yourself, which is already caused bias in your arguement. I, however, have seen two other people, besides me, play this game and the difference is actually quite jarring.

I was the more adventurous one who doesn't like people to know I was there, the one who likes "imaging the security guard stomping on his hat" as yahtzee put it, so I looked around and found a crate that allowed me to go around on the rooftops without anybody seeing me.

The second person was more like you. He would take out guards by knocking them out and explored very little.

The third was the action hero, killing everyone. It was here when I noticed the big difference, which comes as little surprise. The big surprise was that this was the casual CoD player, and he had no problem with the cover or the aiming from cover as you claimed was a problem; my buddy was popping of headshots like crazy and jumping around as the AI coordinated attacks and flanked as one or two would give supressing fire.

The second arguement you had was the stealth gameplay as the AI would go along fixed routes. However I really don't see the problem with this. Planning your attack and remembering the enemies routes are the key to a stealth game as it increases the satisfaction of success. Having an enemy notice his buddy wasn't there when timed would just turn satisfaction into frustrartion as his buddy turns around and gives you a buckshot sandwich.

Another thing, which I doubt you have done, is the satisfaction of outwitting the game when you say throw a box against a wall to attract attention and taking out the loner. This is goes into the creativity factor that the game has, and trust me I have used many different tactics besides 'throw box at wall'. Such as opening a door when a guard is looking and throwing a dead body in a corner so a guard will eventually see it when patrolling on his route.

Next is the kill/knockout difference. True, not killing them get you more points, but they can be woken up if spotted making your stealth life more difficult, seeing as you probably have the knockout weapons only which, in combat, is shit. Not to mention that the alarm would go off.

The second to last counter arguement is the takedowns. While I agree that stabbing someone is less noisy than beating someone into a pulp in real life, this game mechanic is based on the stealth non-lethal and the combat lethal. As stated in the above paragraph, stealth based players rely on non-lethal weapons while combat based players aren't really that worried about being caught because they have a minigun and frags.

Last but not least is your 'unbalanced' XP system. Look I not going to smooth ball it. You are just plain wrong, almost as if you had not given it much thought. It's simple, Combat is much easier and you don't have to worry much about surprise foes picking up their comrades. Stealth on the other hand is much riskier and takes much more time. Like I said much earlier I've seen the difference myself and combat is quicker and you pick up a fair amount of ammo, while stealth is the polar opposite. It is only natural that the XP system should be the same.

I'm not trying to change your views or anything, but you did say you wanted a discussion about it. Oh and before I forget, I also noticed the repetitve animtions :)

sergnb

Mar 12, 2011
I liked DE:HR. (warning, this post may contain spoilers)

Yes, the AI was retarded. Well, we are yet to see a game AI that actually reacts properly to stealth approaches, infiltration and whatnot. Metal Gear is the closest thing and even those games had some blatantly "wtf am I seeing" moments.

Yes, it gives more exp if you go non-lethal. Because, guess what, it is actually harder than going guns-blazing. The developers wanted to reward those who wanted to go one step further and complete the game the hard way. Also, if you haven't noticed, Adam is an ex-cop, so going non-lethal is in its nature. It really would kill the character if you went COMPLETELY BATSHIT CRAZY and the game rewarded you for it.

This game will not reward you if you decide to go the easy way. And don't tell me that going sneaking and non-lethal is easier than lethal, because it isn't. With non-lethal, you have to either approach your enemies silently and dodge the others, or have a perfectly accurate aiming and cool blood. With lethal, you just need to have a rocket launcher.

The story is good (not extremely good, nothing we haven't seen 2 thousand times before, blabla conspiracy theories blabla save the world etc). The pacing is good. The environments make sense, there are genuinely different ways to approach your goals, you can completely miss out side quests or paths to complete a mission, the characters are believable and you actually care for the (don't tell me you didn't reload that save game when Malik died)

The game was fantastic. A true singleplayer experience. I still think it was rushed and I was heavily dissapointed when I found out there are only 2 true hubs in the game, and when I found out the different endings were just "click this for ending A or click this for ending B", but still, the rest of the game made up for it.

In not many singleplayer games you can have a discussion with another person that has played it and end up saying "uh you did it like that? I did a completely different thing. I guess I'll have to replay it to find out", and that's something I truly like.

No, this game is not "supposed" to be played stealthy. It's supposed to be played however the fuck you want to. Stealth rewards you more... why? because it's harder. It only makes sense to give more points to players that take the harder route, doesn't it?

GraveyardTricks

Dec 16, 2009
Honestly, I don't see the big deal with it either. Deus Ex wasn't a game that captured me from the beginning. The first Deus Ex was something I always saw in the bargain bit in game stores, so I was never too sure about it.

Then when DE:HR was announced, people began raving about it. I really don't see the big thing about it.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
kman123 said:
Knobody13 said:
Man i keep reading ure comment over and over again and it makes me laugh so hard because I wish i could grow a neck beard but I have a gorgeous 110 pound ginger cutie cuddled up next to me sleeping right now.
That is one motherfucking large cat.
This line is made of win. Considering how tired of braggers I've become of late, it's nice to get a laugh out of it for once.

kman123 said:
I dislike how strong the emphasis is on stealth ONLY to throw you in boss fights that require brute strength to win. I would like to know WHAT WAS running through Eidos's heads when they decided that was a good idea.
This was an issue for me when I first faced Barret and I was only able to beat him by chucking a 'nade next to an explosive barrel behind him, spray him with my combat rifle for a bit and finished him off with a shotgun blast when he got to close to my cover. I was more prepared when I faced Yelena by fully upgrading my dermal armor. By placing EMP mines near the generators and buying EMP shielding, I was able to take her down without dying even once.

If you can look past the strange logic involved with how the boss fights are designed then the game is relatively flawless.

Xavisam

Dec 2, 2010
I see. speaking as a gamer that hasn't played any Deus Ex games before (or Deus Ex:HR). I diagnose this as a, good, old fashion case of expecting to much syndrome.

Listen, I hear what your saying and I've also heard that the previous Deus Ex games are gems. I give Eidos credit for some great games but I wouldn't expect their new games to be any good on that premise.

... actually on typing this I realize that you might not have expected any thing from the game.
hmm just something to consider.

Smerf

May 4, 2011
i think that the game is really fun. but that its not as good as it could be. not having a toggle for crouch and ironsights would be great. fix that and the game would be a lot better.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
Well, I have to say I liked it, though I game for story and setting and characters, which Deus Ex has in spades

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
I actually liked the stealth AI. Later on its a ***** to do the game stealth and if I go in guns blazing I actually can. I just have to make sure I don't get shot up too much.

I mean, I get that your definition of guns blazing is different from mine, but i'm running into rooms amidst gas and concussion grenades stabbing the crap out of anyone still conscious. Meanwhile i'm talking to my friend who actually bi-passed that entire room.

Stealth gives more points? Well no shit, its a harder path to go down. I don't see the problem there at all. If you go in guns blazing all the time you're hardly going to need the five or so things that help you sneak around.

Also, because I only found this out recently.

INVISIBILITY LETS YOU WALK THROUGH LASERS. THANK ME LATER.

Edit:

Oh, as a point, i've managed to beat all bosses so far with a stealth only character.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
I'm going to be absolutely blunt here.

The AI does exactly what it's supposed to do. This is not a game about awesome covershooting. It's a game about doing really cool tricks and such that give you advantages over the enemy. It's about layind down some cover fire, ducking into a nearby vent, then following the vent behind the enemy lines as you slip away unseen.

If the AI were smart, you'd be bitching it wouldn't allow you to do cool stuff that make the AI look dumb.

Jeez.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Knobody13 said:
Okay, from what i have played so far i am not very impressed.

For starters this game claims that you can "play it how you want." Well that couldn't be farther from the truth. This is a stealth game plain and simple; you just get to choose whether it is a game where u shoot people that know your around there somewhere, shoot people that have no idea your there, or u can choose to not kill people but instead put them into a magical coma with your non lethal pistol/tazer and tranq rifle. But what you cannot do under any circumstance is stand up and stop using their stupid ass fucking cover system, more on that later, because u will die instantly.
So very untrue. I've completed a run on Give Me Deus Ex difficulty using only the 10mm pistol and EMP grenades. No augmentations. Also, I killed EVERYONE I saw. That means no sidequests, because I killed the quest givers.

The reason that you get less XP for straight up killing people is because if you're doing an all lethal playthrough, then you don't NEED as many augmentations as, say, a hacker or infiltrator does. All you need to do is shoot people in the face.