I really don't like Deus Ex: HR

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
dogstile said:
I actually liked the stealth AI. Later on its a ***** to do the game stealth and if I go in guns blazing I actually can. I just have to make sure I don't get shot up too much.

I mean, I get that your definition of guns blazing is different from mine, but i'm running into rooms amidst gas and concussion grenades stabbing the crap out of anyone still conscious. Meanwhile i'm talking to my friend who actually bi-passed that entire room.

Stealth gives more points? Well no shit, its a harder path to go down. I don't see the problem there at all. If you go in guns blazing all the time you're hardly going to need the five or so things that help you sneak around.

Also, because I only found this out recently.

INVISIBILITY LETS YOU WALK THROUGH LASERS. THANK ME LATER.

Edit:

Oh, as a point, i've managed to beat all bosses so far with a stealth only character.
Plus, gun-a-blazin' generally nets you more kills than stealth, therefore the points balance out. In my murder dudes character if I got 50 points per kill I'd be rolling in augments, but if my stealth guy only got 10 per takedown I'd be underpowered.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
I found combat fairly easy, actually.
I played on 'Give me Deus Ex', the hardest mode, and whenever I would fail at remaining hidden, I'd just kill everyone before I reloaded.
Sure, you die quickly, but that's because that's what bullets generally do to fleshlings.
You're an augmented human, not a battle tank.
Remain in cover and be smart, and victory is assured.
If you want a run and gun game, try Painkiller or Serious Sam.

Trent Kama

Apr 4, 2010
Deimateos said:
The only things I wish changed were Brody-Bale Jensen's face (OG Deus let you choose a few looks), Brody-Bale's "Batman" voice and a certain plot trope that made no sense that it happened (given Jensen's enhanced body mods and quicker reflexes). Namely,

How during the Vtol crash, Jensen's derptastic ass can't grab Malik and jump out the Vtol with her(especially if you have the icarus landing aug)

It's the only thing I found really annoying, since some mod/aug choices you make affect some other in-game cinematics.
I think you may have missed some minor details in some earlier cutscenes. The front of the VTOL, namely the cockpit is a pod closed off from the rest of the aircraft, with passengers riding in the main body. This is why Malik radios you every time you're by the aircraft instead of you hopping in and saying hello.
To get her out of that would be humanly(and trans-humanly) impossible. Still, you can save her.

Char-Nobyl

May 8, 2009
Knobody13 said:
Okay, from what i have played so far i am not very impressed.
I detect a troll thread. Oh well. If so, you've already been fed. If not, I get to have some fun.

Knobody13 said:
For starters this game claims that you can "play it how you want." Well that couldn't be farther from the truth. This is a stealth game plain and simple; you just get to choose whether it is a game where u shoot people that know your around there somewhere, shoot people that have no idea your there, or u can choose to not kill people but instead put them into a magical coma with your non lethal pistol/tazer and tranq rifle. But what you cannot do under any circumstance is stand up and stop using their stupid ass fucking cover system, more on that later, because u will die instantly.
Sounds like a textbook case of user error. Let me guess: you played the first level, forgot the 'RPG' part of 'stealth RPG,' and assumed that you won't get better equipment, skills, etc beyond the first 20 minutes.

I got a good lol at 'magical coma,' but mostly because you seem to be completely unfamiliar with the concept of knocking someone unconscious.

Knobody13 said:
lets start with the "AI" and all the wonderful intelligence they have been blessed with. basically every single enemy i have come across has one single set path where they walk between one or 2 points, stopping occasionally. They never deviate at all or have any sort of realistic rhyme or reason to how they are moving. They cant seem to see anything u do except for randomly every once and a while when they are nowhere near u. They can hear up to about 3 feet away from themselves. unless u dare try to kill someone with a melee attack. Heaven forbid u harm a human being(but we will get back to that) Basically if u are crouching and u arent directly in front of someone u could follow them around their entire patrol route without them noticing. 2 people are in a room less than 10 feet from each other. No problem just melee on then walk over and melee the other. Stealth AI is notoriously bad but this is just a joke.
Wow. It's almost like they're guards, and thus supposed to be guarding a pre-determined route. Like actual guards.

And you know what you call a guard who wanders off at random during his patrol? A shit guard.

Knobody13 said:
but i guess the thing that pisses me off most of all, is that certain gameplay types actually get more experience than others.u get MORE experience for not killing someone(remember the magical coma). and u get loads more experience for meleeing someone but make sure u do a nonlethal melee attack because ure character has to kill people in the noises way possible. because u know getting stabbed is way noisier than getting the shit beaten out of you. This makes no sense.
No shit, Sherlock. Killing someone *is* noisy. Thief did the same thing: knocking someone out is quiet because it puts them out immediately, albeit with the risk that they might wake up again. In Deus Ex, other guards can wake up unconcious guards if they find the If you simply kill them, they're obviously out of commission for good, but killing people is noisy and messy, especially if you plan to do it by hand. That's why a crossbow/silenced pistol is harder to detect than eviscerating a man with your arm-blades.

Knobody13 said:
and the controls are just freaking awful. U have no choice but to use toggle iron sights,
Two words: laser targeter. Play the game more before you complain about it not letting you do things from the start.

Knobody13 said:
when u stick to cover u cant peek with the iron sight button but u have to move to the edge.
Yes, you can. You just need to have your weapon holstered. As much as I hate 1337 speak: lrn2play, noob.

Knobody13 said:
the melee button and cover change button do different things depending on if u hold or tap them
...really? You're complaining about that? The game even provides diagrams of what each type of button press will do, and even if it's a 'hold' command, you still start the action immediately. There's no delay for either, and it works just fine.

Knobody13 said:
The sprint is a joke.
Because you didn't upgrade it? Yeah, probably. That's the point of upgrades. If you were awesome at it from the start, you wouldn't upgrade it.

Knobody13 said:
most of the upgrades are pointless and feel like they should have been unlocked from the beginning.
Give me examples. Specific examples. Because there was only one line of upgrades that I felt were pretty unnecessary, and two others that I didn't invest any more than a point or two in.

Knobody13 said:
Oh and the voice acting is shitty but u cant tell because the idle animations during conversations look like the character has parkinsons 50 percent of the time.
The voice acting is fine. The facial animations make the faces look weird and disjointed, but that's about it.

Knobody13 said:
The music and art are nice tho. I guess that is a plus. So ya someone please tell me what im doing wrong or why I'm wrong.
Already did, and quite a bit so. Enjoy.

Explicted

Feb 19, 2005
Not to offend the op or anything, but man you said you liked Splinter Cell god damn Conviction, sorry but that explains most of your points, there are players who don't like games that give them too much freedom, like when you can jump on everything intead of only stuff that has a little action window that says "climb up".

Anyway HR is pretty good better then Invisible War(still i miss the Omar) its not better then original no idea why so many people are saying it is, when original is 10 years old, theres a lot of stuff that could be made better but its like that in every game ever created.

What i definitely agree with is that damn lethal take down should be either as quiet as non-lethal or both should be noisy, its really such a small thing but it was bothering me all the time.

Pakkie

Apr 4, 2010
FreakSheet said:
1) You can choose how to play, you just can't run and gun. Quickest way to failure. You wan't run and gun? go play COD. You can choose aggressive front door bang bang, but you have to plan it. Look at how the soldiers move, see the best way to kill them, using the fewest bullets possible. You can also choose to just avoid confrontations entirely. its up to you.

2) Yes, of course you can crouch behind them. You make no noise. How else could you sneak up behind one and knock him out? And they are moving between two points because THATS THE PATROL ROUTE THEY WERE ORDERED TO FOLLOW. If they hear noise, they will investigate. If they see someone not moving, they will check it out.

3) Non-Lethal gives 30xp. Lethal gives 20, if you get a headshot. Frankly, non-lethal is more difficult, since they can be woken up by fellow soldiers

4) I guess you didn't get the laser sight. Free in one of the first side missions.

I look foward to your return to CoD.
Run and gun does not equal cod and can take as much skill as any "stealth" or planning game.
I like Bulletstorm, Serious Sam, quake 3 etc.... Fast pace shooters. The requires pin-point accuracy and awesome twitchy dodging. I'm not saying a want to jump around like crazy in Deus Ex but I do want to be able to jump into a room from the roof and shoot people WITHOUT DYING INSTANTLY! I want to be able to quickly do some headshots, dodge some bullets and jump behind something.... Really augmentations should allow me to become strong enough to take at least a decent amount of damage.

TheVoodooFrog

Nov 18, 2009
Apparently you never played the original Deus Ex on the hardest difficulty. Yes you can play how you want, but there is always an emphasis on Stealth. You are a SPY after all.

azzwort

Apr 2, 2010
spoilers:

finished it the wednesday after it came out, was enjoying it until I reached the ending which made all the descisions I had made in the game thusfar completly pointless. It was literally one of the worst game endings I had ever experienced, and it pretty much ruined the game for me. I finished on the hardest difficulty in 19 hours. The endings were just shit. I told somone that and they tried to tell me that the were supposed to be vague and seem random, I'm sorry, but if the conclusion of a game is not gonna even try to be satisfying for the player then it's crap, pure and simple. That's my entire opinion.

Sep 24, 2008
Doom-Slayer said:
Knobody13 said:
The EXP - Okay this one is a no-brainer for me. Not killing is harder so it grants the most exp(see Ghost bonus), silently killing people gives the next amount since they can stand up, killing them gives the least because its easy to do. Harder things give better rewards?
But in turn, does that limit you in playing anyway you want? Supposed you want to spec out for damage. you need xp. But to really do that, you're forced to play Stealthy until said time where you have enough points to become a walking death machine.

Your points are valid, it is harder. In fact, I play non lethal just because of that. But the game gives the illusion of choice. Why can't I be non lethal the bosses? Why can't they be dialogue-beaten or bribed?

If the game favors one style over the other and actually penalizes you (through less points), less choice. If a game does not let you handle segments however you want, less choice. It's nitpicky, but if a game lauds that I can handle things however I want, let me do so instead of saying "... ok, as long as you do this you'll get everything! you can do the other thing, but that's boring and we don't really care for that option. Oh, you have to do this part exactly how we want, ok?"

TheComedown

Aug 24, 2009
Knobody13 said:
Man i keep reading ure comment over and over again and it makes me laugh so hard because I wish i could grow a neck beard but I have a gorgeous 110 pound ginger cutie cuddled up next to me sleeping right now.
So because you have an overweight cat sleeping next to you... you cant grow a neck beard?
I don't understand.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
It can be clunky and it has it's problems, but I like it. I also liked Invisible War on the xbox, too. You're right that it's not a "play as you want" type of game. It's more like a "play in a very careful and specific way over and over again until you get through a section without dying." It's not for everybody, not by a long shot. I'm surprised the reviews were so unanimously glowing.

Zarmi

Jul 16, 2010
Aww... So you don't like the game. Now ain't that just too bad. Now we all have to care and hug you and tell you how wonderful and colourful the world is.

Get a fucking grip. We don't give a shit if you like the game or not. I don't like your face, but I don't share that thought either, it's the same concept. WHY SHOULD WE CARE? People seem to think their opinion matters a lot these days.

Guess what, your opinion on the game is worth about as much as.. Nothing. Plain and simple. So quit crying, or if you need to, use your mothers' lap for it.

Eisenfaust

Two horses in a man costume
Apr 20, 2009
I loves it but yes, not without it's issues... Cover based combat system? Fine... Forced boss battles making the dart rifle I've been carrying around completely useless? Gah! But thankyou for providing weaponry anyway, even though a pacifist run is now technically impossible... (arguably more impossible in the original, redirecting that nuke an all)... Fixed npc paths? I can get over it... They have interesting movements and we don't want to make stealth impossible. Weakness to bullets? Annoying when I want to save and try out the laser I just found... But realistic enough I suppose. Getting a no recoil laser sighted silenced pistol and ghosting through clearing entire levels? Well you're meant to be a super powered gun master, and I got the feeling that combat in the stealth play was mainly about hiding the bodies you take out rather than completely avoiding them (which is a stupi tactical decision)... All that I can deal with

But for the love of god, why in hell does NO ONE EVER CHANGE THEIR CLOTHES!!!!! Sarif and Eliza are particularly guilty of this... The CEO of a prominent muntinational corporation and the worlds most popular news reader (and other things, yes I know, that doesn't excuse her) wearing the same thing for more than 6 months in a row! (before/after attack for sarif, etc)... Come on people!

Sordak

Oct 5, 2010
the only thing youre right at is the cover system, its plain bad. not cause its a cover system but cause the controlls are illlogical

SecretSmoke

Jan 29, 2009
Knobody13 said:
Wait, you had problems with control on the PC? I'm...sorry man. I mean besides the RMB for cover and middle button for aiming, it was all fine to me. Only things I had to rebind were setting cloak, silent movement, and vision to Z, X, and V, repsectively. (I don't use typhoon, but I'd probably set it to F maybe? Not sure of that's used in game, it's been a while.)

Bocaj2000

Sep 10, 2008
Knobody13 said:

I am very sorry, but in every single one of your posts, you come off as very arrogent and immature. I don't know if you are in you twenties or your teens, but judging from your comment on your inability to grow a beard, I'll assume that you are a young teenager. I don't know if this is your first forum or not, but there are a few guidelines that I have for you:

1. You are not smarter than the internet - quite self explanatory. The Escapist has many kinds of people, a lot of them are very intelligent. Don't rant at or insult them; it makes you look stupid
2. Don't feed trolls - it makes you look stupid
3. learn to use the quote button - once again, it makes you look stupid when you respond to someone in alternative ways.
4. Type out YOU instead of U - I did this once in 7th grade in my first forum and got bitched at. Do you want to look like an intellectual? Start out by typing in proper english.
5. Don't talk about your girlfriend - Unless there's a thread about it, 99.9% of us don't care. When I read that comment, I rolled my eyes. Don't try to prove something as inane as sexuality to us. If someone calls you a virgin, whether you are or not, don't respond. That argument is a waste of bandwidth.

Enjoy the Escapist.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
You know what I really hate? people that play a game for 5 seconds and decide that they know everything about said game.

If you play for more than an hour you should have about 4 augs, which would net you the typhoon and the damage resistance augs so you can start running and gunning. both ways get you XP since the kills, if your any good, get you 40 odd xp at time and there are way more than 10 people you have to get past, the big bonus for not killing is because you don't get the chunks for killing that add up to the same or more.

I've played Deus Ex: HR three times to completion over the last 5 days (UK so it was only out friday) I have done hack my way past with shooting everyone I can and with avoiding everyone I can and a mix of the two.

I pity the people that can't get in to it since I have gotten so much out of it.

KingofallCosmos

Nov 15, 2010
You know I think you're right. I'm just having too much fun playing. There do seem to be a lot of archaic mechanisms in the game, I guess it's better than the sum of its parts. After playing Alpha Protocol I did hope for better AI because hey, it's Deus Ex. If you allow the gameplay to work for you you do get a lot of choices.

Anthonythelegend

Aug 18, 2010
Hey, everybody has their own opinion when it comes to the vidya, all we can really do is explain why we liked/disliked a game in an intelligent and sensible manner, which you did OP; great job :)