I really don't like Deus Ex: HR

Mr. 47

May 25, 2011
I love it, it is one of the best games I have ever played. There was a bit of a dry period in Montreal, but then I got right back into it, possibly more so then before. I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy it, but aren't you being a little harsh? Your complaints are the below average AI, how you get more xp from not killing people, and some shitty animation. Not much of that affects gameplay... The controls thing would, but can't you change them, or are you playing on a console? I assume pc due to the Freeman avvy, but the console controls (or at least the PS3 controls) are a little tricky to get the hand of at first, but you get used to them.

The 'less lethal nets more points thing' is completely true, and wasn't the best design choice, but you have an excess of points in this game. I was playing a sneaky non-lethal player, and I got full hacking and inventory augments about a fourth/third of the way through the game. Most of my points have gone towards random crap that looked cool, other then super strength, I rarely use any of my 'extra' augs. I'm just about at the end of the game, and with another 8 or so praxis kits I will have maxed out everything.

I like the little-stupider-then-average AI, it is easier to take out rooms of enemies. If they were really advanced AI, stealthy players would be screwed. When you piss them off, their smart enough, had a guy throw a concussive grenade, and then run at me when I was blinded more then once.

snagli

Jan 21, 2011
I love DX:HR. I may be stuck right now because I'm fighting an überrussian armed with only a stun gun, but the game is still the most fun I've had in a while.

Everyone's a critic at some point, so I don't see why I would be mad at you for not liking what I like.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
I played the game on medium difficulty, and overall I found the game to be very easy. I also think the AI is a bit too weak when it comes to detecting you.

Some of the guys have pretty interesting behavior while patrolling. Sometimes they'll turn their heads to look down hallways as they walk by and some will occasionally look behind them as they walk. If they gave this behavior to more of the enemies it would have helped a lot.

I wouldn't worry about getting more XP playing one way or the other. I only killed those who I labeled as "badguys". I probably avoided or KO'ed 70% of the enemies and by the end of the game I had almost every upgrade unlocked. I would have gotten a good amount of XP had I taken more of them out. I doubt it'd make a significant difference. And a good number of the upgrades are just aids and in no way required. With some effort I fully believe I could complete the game using no augmented abilities at all.

Are you playing on the top difficulty setting? Not sure if that makes them more aware but it couldn't hurt if you find it too easy.

LorienvArden

Feb 28, 2011
Knobody13 said:
but i guess the thing that pisses me off most of all, is that certain gameplay types actually get more experience than others.u get MORE experience for not killing someone(remember the magical coma). and u get loads more experience for meleeing someone but make sure u do a nonlethal melee attack because ure character has to kill people in the noises way possible.
I think that is to promote a carefull, non lethal approach to solving problems over brute force and killing.
I support that notion and am O.K with getting more points for NOT killing somebody.

Grabbin Keelz

Jun 3, 2009
Knobody13 said:
i played it for a good 7 or so hours. But whenever i go to do anything combat or stealth related i just feel like splinter cell conviction did it better.
I actually thought it was gonna be a lot like Conviction where you had to shoot the lights out to be stealthy, of course in this game enemies have been given augments with blinders and small pupils so it's not much of a deal now. However, I'm pretty sure Conviction was big on cover shooting too. One big problem I had with DE:HR was when you traveled around the city and how boring it was. There was no random encounters, very rarely times where you had to sneak around gang territory (which mostly took place in missions) all you did was run straight from one objective to the next.

Ushiromiya Battler

Oddly satisfied
Feb 7, 2010
I agree with some points, while I disagree with others.....
Though I'm surprised you didn't mention the boss fights!

Off Topic: Was I the only one, while fighting Barret, that ran fast as hell over to these gas canisters and just chucked 3 of them in his face, finishing in less than a minute?

lwm3398

Apr 15, 2009
Baneat said:
Best example is the black woman after you kill the guy that tried to take her hostage. Firstly, horrible VA'ing.
Better than a lot of voice acting. It's not Mass Effect, but it isn't Final Fantasy X either. As I'm writing this, I'm listening to the first cutscene. Really, it's not that bad.

Secondly, the thing is all out of whack. Who actually would say they didn't enjoy a game because the lips didn't sync perfectly, though?
As I said, any computer-animated medium is unable to do that. We're just not at the point of photo-realism, and expecting that is bullshit.

Shraggler

Jan 6, 2009
While the spelling errors are excused by the post following it, your original points appear like they're coming from a child. Therefore if someone decides to enter the thread, your points of criticism may fall on deaf ears because of the apparent lack of maturity. Not a dig at you OP, just saying you may want to proofread and edit a bit when you get the chance so you can have the discussion you want as opposed to a troll war.

Knobody13 said:
For starters this game claims that you can "play it how you want." Well that couldn't be farther from the truth. This is a stealth game plain and simple; you just get to choose whether it is a game where u shoot people that know your around there somewhere, shoot people that have no idea your there, or u can choose to not kill people but instead put them into a magical coma with your non lethal pistol/tazer and tranq rifle. But what you cannot do under any circumstance is stand up and stop using their stupid ass fucking cover system, more on that later, because u will die instantly.
Yes, it is primarily a stealth & strategic game, no denying that. However, you're never forced to use the cover system. You must force your character into cover. I can't recall any FPS where cover isn't important. Standing up in the middle of a firefight... I don't really get how that's a point of contention. This isn't Mech Warrior 4.

Knobody13 said:
but u know what i dont give a frak if the game doesn't want to give me choice as long as the gameplay im pigeonholed into is good. I actually LIKE stealth games. The splinter cell games are great fun. I love metal Gear Solid. I've played every single Bethesda game as a sneak character, ive played 3 SOCOM games, i played stalker like a kneay ghost dishing out Ukranian justice and honestly u could list a trillion more examples; basically stealth games are my shit. So i start this game with the intention of playing it how they want me to and after about an hour or so i realize how freaking dumb the AI is and how stupid the EXP distribution is.

lets start with the "AI" and all the wonderful intelligence they have been blessed with. basically every single enemy i have come across has one single set path where they walk between one or 2 points, stopping occasionally. They never deviate at all or have any sort of realistic rhyme or reason to how they are moving. They cant seem to see anything u do except for randomly every once and a while when they are nowhere near u. They can hear up to about 3 feet away from themselves. unless u dare try to kill someone with a melee attack. Heaven forbid u harm a human being(but we will get back to that) Basically if u are crouching and u arent directly in front of someone u could follow them around their entire patrol route without them noticing. 2 people are in a room less than 10 feet from each other. No problem just melee on then walk over and melee the other. Stealth AI is notoriously bad but this is just a joke.
I'm not completely impressed with the AI either, but it's a bit of a stretch to call it a joke. They don't deviate because most of the time you're fighting against mercenaries who are on patrol. Patrols don't tend to randomly deviate.

I would like them to explore more of their environment on their patrol, however, and is a bit too predictable due to the fact that it looks like the dev team used a template of only three pathings, leaving quite a bit of room to sneak around once memorized.

It does get interesting when one guy stops to take a cigarette break or talks to another NPC 'off-script'.

Apart from patrols, the AI isn't terribly challenging. I haven't had many missteps, but a couple of instances I've had an NPC spot me when I was clearly in cover. The noise level you create when crouched makes stealth a bit too easy due to it being completely silent.

The advent of snipers and cameras make stealth in later areas more fun/difficult, as it literally adds another dimension of which to be aware, but the snipers suffer from the same pathing issues as above. They stop to look at determined intervals, much like the patrols. If this was randomized, it would add plenty of new challenges to the game. There would be more risk and less calculation in a player's movement choices. It would perhaps create more decision making possibilities.

Knobody13 said:
but i guess the thing that pisses me off most of all, is that certain gameplay types actually get more experience than others.u get MORE experience for not killing someone(remember the magical coma). and u get loads more experience for meleeing someone but make sure u do a nonlethal melee attack because ure character has to kill people in the noises way possible. because u know getting stabbed is way noisier than getting the shit beaten out of you. This makes no sense.
I don't understand this either and I will agree that this is a point of annoyance. Every encounter should be equally scored.

I personally don't care as much about the XP simply because I'm more attached to the story of the game rather than the mechanics, but it doesn't make sense to offer two different and opposing gametypes yet prefer one over the other. It discourages the dynamic gameplay the game is trying to cultivate.

Knobody13 said:
and the controls are just freaking awful. U have no choice but to use toggle iron sights, when u stick to cover u cant peek with the iron sight button but u have to move to the edge. the melee button and cover change button do different things depending on if u hold or tap them/ The sprint is a joke. most of the upgrades are pointless and feel like they should have been unlocked from the beginning.
I don't find the controls all that confusing. Typical WSAD setup for movement, 'R' to reload, 'G' to toss a grenade, 'TAB' to enter the game menu, 'C' to crouch.

Cover is definitely a scenario-based mechanic, meaning it's not always necessary. You can hold cover to get behind something, then let it go and you'll still be hidden. At that point you can go iron sight or holster or whatever. Peeking around with iron sights seems like it would take a contortionist and way too much mouse-finger button crushing with the default controls.

The controls changing aspects of their original function depending on a quick press or a hold don't seem to be anything new. Plus they clearly spell out what-does-what each time you have the option presented. If that's challenging then Microsoft Word is an unfathomable abomination (fucking ribbon).

Knobody13 said:
Oh and the voice acting is shitty but u cant tell because the idle animations during conversations look like the character has parkinsons 50 percent of the time.
The voice acting sounds fine to me, but the amount of difference between what one selects and what is said has its unintended consequences sometimes. Despite the fact that the responses are clearly labeled as to their "tone", sometimes you don't get the reaction you're expecting. Then again, it does add a touch of realism. Being misinterpreted is part of the human condition.

People said the same thing about the male voice acting with Shepard in ME2. I didn't notice anything bad about it, besides maybe it was a bit too monotone. Otherwise it's not like the actor was standing extremely far away from the mic one second and really close to it the next or speaking in a slurred tongue.

Knobody13 said:
So ya someone please tell me what im doing wrong or why I'm wrong.
I don't think you're wrong at all. You have an opinion. It's the same old story: you show two people the same picture, ask them to describe it later and get two different interpretations. Criticism is good. Well constructed and articulated criticism is better.

Instant K4rma

StormFella
Aug 29, 2008
So you don't like DE:HR? Alright, cool. Don't play it?

Play games you like, and don't play games that you don't like. I guess I don't see the issue here.

lwm3398

Apr 15, 2009
I know my post has already been made and all, but I have one last word for you. One bolded, capitalized, italicized, underlined word: PATCHES. While it's definitely horrible to release a buggy game, to my knowledge this game isn't that bad with bugs. So perhaps an AI patch will smooth some of your complaints over, hmm?

The game is very new, and was very hyped. I'm sure the dev team was being pushed heavily to cut corners and get their shit together to release the game quickly, especially with marketing like this game had. If they pulled an Mojang and delayed for a week, or even a day? There'd have been a fucking riot.

This is an advantage to never having any goddamned money: You buy games months after they've come out, they're much cheaper, and lo and behold, they're patched to near-perfection. This happened to me with Fallout: New Vegas. Never had it freeze, never had it freak out on me, never had that fucked up Exorcist head spinning thing, nothing.

So give it time, OP. That's all I'm saying.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Seriously, if you can't be arsed to use correct spelling, then don't fucking post and wait until you can.

On to more relevant topics.

The latest splinter cell game plays almost EXACTLY the same but lacks a relevant upgrade system and you are not forced to only kill people, you are encouraged to do only that.

What is more difficult: Shooting someone across the room or physically knocking them out? What is more difficult: Entering a facility with no one ever seeing you or killing everyone? Honestly, in Deus Ex those are about the same(depending on the enemies), but I digress. Stealth has greater rewards because stealth is harder, generally. Same with knocking people out. Dead is dead, they won't get back up if someone finds them. I only have to kill someone once, I might have to knock them out half a dozen times if I suck at hiding bodies.

The iron sight issue, is a personal thing. I like not having to ram my nose up a gun to be able to shoot straight. The heavy rifle not having sights is both annoying and makes sense. It's a bit heavy with all those barrels and the mechanism to spin them and was probably made for unaugmented people who wouldn't be able to bring it up to their shoulder anyway.

You can't tell me the ability to go invisible, punch through walls, see through walls, drop from any height then produce a stunning blast when you land, and run silently(helpful if you combine it with invisibility) are pointless upgrades. If they had all this unlocked from the beginning then you're super man and have to wait until the end of the game for any kind of a challenge.

The controls take a little getting used to, but so does every game. The controls aren't broken and that's all you can ask.

The voice acting sounds fine. It doesn't usually sync up right with the video, but I'll forgive it because I like most of the rest of the game.

I'll give you that the AI is spotty. Sometimes they're fucking clever, other times, dumb as a post. I expect there should be a few patches to fix this.

Digitaldreamer7

Sep 30, 2008
I loved every minute of this game until the end. The end pissed me off so so much and makes me glad I got it free through a promotion. I don't think i'd pay for it and im sure I won't be playing it a second time due to the terrible story. The spoiler below will ruin the game for you if you haven't finished it. Be warned.

None of your choices matter, period. after you defeat the final boss you get a room with a button to choose which ending you want to see. It's fucking stupid and makes anything but sheer destruction from start to finish a waste of time. AND WHAT THE HELL I wanted to see how the whole Jensen/Reed romance played out.

Because of the above spoiler i wouldn't recommend it, but, I will say that developers need to take notice because everything BUT the story was pretty freaking awesome. Polish this turd up with a well developed story and you have game mechanics and freedom awesomesauce

Knobody13

Feb 16, 2010
Bocaj2000 said:
Knobody13 said:

I am very sorry, but in every single one of your posts, you come off as very arrogent and immature. I don't know if you are in you twenties or your teens, but judging from your comment on your inability to grow a beard, I'll assume that you are a young teenager. I don't know if this is your first forum or not, but there are a few guidelines that I have for you:

1. You are not smarter than the internet - quite self explanatory. The Escapist has many kinds of people, a lot of them are very intelligent. Don't rant at or insult them; it makes you look stupid
2. Don't feed trolls - it makes you look stupid
3. learn to use the quote button - once again, it makes you look stupid when you respond to someone in alternative ways.
4. Type out YOU instead of U - I did this once in 7th grade in my first forum and got bitched at. Do you want to look like an intellectual? Start out by typing in proper english.
5. Don't talk about your girlfriend - Unless there's a thread about it, 99.9% of us don't care. When I read that comment, I rolled my eyes. Don't try to prove something as inane as sexuality to us. If someone calls you a virgin, whether you are or not, don't respond. That argument is a waste of bandwidth.

Enjoy the Escapist.
I'm in college and I'm very arrogant and immature. But that really depends on how you define arrogance. I'm arrogant in the sense that I am proud and confident in my opinions. I also know that i can defend every single one. But I do not think I am objectively right and that everyone should bow before my superioirity.

1) how would one go about being smarter than the internet?
2) I was bored and wanted to argue with people. Sue me. Plus i got a moderator warning because of it
3) if u read through the thread i was already chastized once for that and im using it now.
4)no. get over it.
5)i wouldnt have talked about my girlfriend unless it was specifically brought up by the troll. As I stated before, i was bored.

Bocaj2000

Sep 10, 2008
Knobody13 said:
Bocaj2000 said:
Knobody13 said:

I am very sorry, but in every single one of your posts, you come off as very arrogent and immature. I don't know if you are in you twenties or your teens, but judging from your comment on your inability to grow a beard, I'll assume that you are a young teenager. I don't know if this is your first forum or not, but there are a few guidelines that I have for you:

1. You are not smarter than the internet - quite self explanatory. The Escapist has many kinds of people, a lot of them are very intelligent. Don't rant at or insult them; it makes you look stupid
3. learn to use the quote button - once again, it makes you look stupid when you respond to someone in alternative ways.
4. Type out YOU instead of U - I did this once in 7th grade in my first forum and got bitched at. Do you want to look like an intellectual? Start out by typing in proper english.
5. Don't talk about your girlfriend - Unless there's a thread about it, 99.9% of us don't care. When I read that comment, I rolled my eyes. Don't try to prove something as inane as sexuality to us. If someone calls you a virgin, whether you are or not, don't respond. That argument is a waste of bandwidth.

Enjoy the Escapist.
I'm in college and I'm very arrogant and immature. But that really depends on how you define arrogance. I'm arrogant in the sense that I am proud and confident in my opinions. I also know that i can defend every single one. But I do not think I am objectively right and that everyone should bow before my superioirity.

2) I was bored and wanted to argue with people. Sue me. Plus i got a moderator warning because of it
3) if u read through the thread i was already chastized once for that and im using it now.
4)no. get over it.
5)i wouldnt have talked about my girlfriend unless it was specifically brought up by the troll. As I stated before, i was bored.
Thank you. You have confirmed the point I was trying to make. I hope you grow up one day.

Knobody13

Feb 16, 2010
Bocaj2000 said:
Knobody13 said:
Bocaj2000 said:
Knobody13 said:

Enjoy the Escapist.

4)no. get over it.
Thank you. You have confirmed the point I was trying to make. I hope you grow up one day.
any time cutie ;D

Babitz

Jan 18, 2010
ITT: People suck at playing video games.
You seriously complain about dying easily? Go back to Mass Effect and other casual games.

This game takes strategy and thinking ahead; it's not your regular dumb shooter.

For.I.Am.Mad

May 8, 2010
Babitz said:
ITT: People suck at playing video games.
You seriously complain about dying easily? Go back to Mass Effect and other casual games.

This game takes strategy and thinking ahead; it's not your regular dumb shooter.
There's no strategy, it's just memorize and wait.

Bocaj2000

Sep 10, 2008
Knobody13 said:
Bocaj2000 said:
Knobody13 said:
Bocaj2000 said:
Knobody13 said:

sinp

Enjoy the Escapist.
snip
any time cutie ;D

For some reason you think that this is an argument. It's not. I'm just making a statement. Once you realize what an opinion is (an idea emotionally driven) and how to have an opinion without being arrogant (remember, there is no such thing as a correct opinion or an incorrect one), you will start to blossom into a strapping young lad.

You will respond to this in an insecure way, trying to make it look like you 'won,' just like you have done with every single other response that has disagreed with your opinion. If that makes you feel like a man then proceed to 'argue' with me. I will not respond.

FallenTraveler

Jun 11, 2010
Honestly I love it. This is exactly the kind of thing I wanted from Mass effect (yes, mass effect 2 is amazing, but I wanted an rpg not gears of war with a better script)

They did make it so you could do plenty though. Yes, you need cover, most shooters tend to require that these days, that's not so much a problem with deus ex as it is the whole industry though. Yes, they let you sneak and find things, but if you were/wanted to role play what way would be best? shoot up a city or sneak around and find ways to do things.

I do agree some things are meh, but it seems like maybe, and I am sure I'm wrong, but maybe you had super high expectations for this that it couldn't live up to? Go play the original deus ex and tell me how that holds up, that's all...

I'm gonna go enjoy Deus Ex for what it is now... see ya!