I really like Movie Bob

Grim5i

Oct 5, 2009
Sometimes it seems like I´m the only one on this site who does. I like how he supports almost all of his statements with solid arguments, I like how incredibly knowledgeable he is about movies (especially geek and genre movies), and I love how he can always relate to you exactly how good he thought a movie was, and why, without using numerical scoring.

I also feel like all the arguments against him are a gross misunderstanding of his message. For example: The reason he hates the transformers movies is because they make you "turn off your brain", which he explicitly states is not the case.

So what do you think about moviebob (or is it Movie Bob)?

Also the (no homo) in the title was supposed to be a joke. I should have known it wouldn´t fly and I apologize. Also I did not know it was a meme. I just really like "the Boondocks".

MorsePacific

Nov 5, 2008
I watch Escape to the Movies and The Big Picture every week. He has a lot of great information, but he comes off as far too cynical for my taste. I don't think I'd ever want to hang out with him, but I certainly enjoy watching his videos.

IBlackKiteI

Mar 12, 2010
MorsePacific said:
I watch Escape to the Movies and The Big Picture every week. He has a lot of great information, but he comes off as far too cynical for my taste. I don't think I'd ever want to hang out with him, but I certainly enjoy watching his videos.
Bingo. This is it right here.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
His shows on the Escapist are good stuff, I was a fan of his work back from his youtube days.

His TheGameOverthinker show was pretty good as well, but ever since he decided to put an arching story behind it, it went down the crapper really fast. You know how he likes to talk in his "jock" voice? You know how annoying that shit is? Now, imagine him doing that character for an entire 20 min. episode.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
I have to ask this, why put "no homo"? Were not going to think "he said he likes a guy, so gay" even if we did what does it matter? Nobody knows who you are! Is being thought of as gay by random people you will never meet that bad?

I like movie bob (so homo) his shows are quite funny and interesting. Nothing really bad to say about his vids. There nothing overly special but there by no means bad.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Well, I really don't. His stuff is entertaining, so I tune in every week, but that doesn't change the fact that TGO is basically an arena for him to hurl insults at people who don't share his love for all things Nintendo and that Escape to the Movies is often no better.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
omega 616 said:
I have to ask this, why put "no homo"? Were not going to think "he said he likes a guy, so gay" even if we did what does it matter? Nobody knows who you are! Is being thought of as gay by random people you will never meet that bad?

I like movie bob (so homo) his shows are quite funny and interesting. Nothing really bad to say about his vids. There nothing overly special but there by no means bad.
Yeah I'm not understanding the "(no homo)" bit in the title, maybe homosexual's don't back their statements with solid arguments?

I like MovieBob, but he has a horrible tendency to spoilify films, and I fucking hate spoilers, so some of his Escape to the Movies episodes I've only been able to watch half of them or I've raged at the spoilers.

He also likes to smack talk a lot, I mean a lot!, I got bored of his Twilight hate "wait I've found something else about Twilight that's shit!".

So two points that I dislike about MovieBob, but the good outweighs the bad by a huge degree.

Cat of Doom

Jan 6, 2011
His a smart guy, but I often find him a little patronizing and condescending. I find I disagree with allot of his arguments. I think sometimes he over-analyses things a little too much. Like in his big picture Halo review or his Madden review. I enjoy his movie reviews, some big pictures are ok. Also,His sometimes a bit too nerdy for my liking.

Bato

Oct 18, 2009
Cat of Doom said:
I think sometimes he over-analyses things a little too much.
I think that might be the point of the big picture though at least that's the appeal to me, watch someone just go nuts with overanalysing.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
ColdStorage said:
omega 616 said:

Yeah I'm not understanding the "(no homo)" bit in the title, maybe homosexual's don't back their statements with solid arguments?

I like MovieBob, but he has a horrible tendency to spoilify films, and I fucking hate spoilers, so some of his Escape to the Movies episodes I've only been able to watch half of them or I've raged at the spoilers.

He also likes to smack talk a lot, I mean a lot!, I got bored of his Twilight hate "wait I've found something else about Twilight that's shit!".

So two points that I dislike about MovieBob, but the good outweighs the bad by a huge degree.
I always see it round youtube, I know youtube isn't the greatest place to read posts but it's silly the amount of I really like your vids (no homo) ... even the guys uploading the vids have started saying it.

I only watch his reviews of films I have seen or I don't plan on seeing. After seeing some of his vids I have actually gone and watched the films and liked them, the last one was kick ass.

I can't stand to hear anything about twilight and/or harry potter so I never watch anything to do with them.

(also when was the last time you used your PS3, it's been like 9 months! Poor thing (I hope I have the right person here))

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
JourneyThroughHell said:
Well, I really don't. His stuff is entertaining, so I tune in every week, but that doesn't change the fact that TGO is basically an arena for him to hurl insults at people who don't share his love for all things Nintendo and that Escape to the Movies is often no better.
+1

Well, personally, I wouldn't quite call it insults, but more like talking down on people. Either way, it's irritating.

DEATHROAD

May 14, 2008
omega 616 said:
Yeah i was thinking this too..

OT: I think moviebob is a really clever bloke tbh, what i dont get is why you seem to think your the only one on the site who sites (For one your NEVER the only one) but have you ever read the comments on one of his vids, its about 98% positive.

JochemDude

Nov 23, 2010
His shows are good and I know jack shit about that anything he's talking about. So I learn something every time. Other than that he seams a little too cynical and... just not that happy. Not the guy I would go and grab a beer with.

You really shouldn't put (no home) behind it. It's damn annoying when people do that.

DigitalSushi

Dec 24, 2008
omega 616 said:
ColdStorage said:
omega 616 said:

I always see it round youtube, I know youtube isn't the greatest place to read posts but it's silly the amount of I really like your vids (no homo) ... even the guys uploading the vids have started saying it.

I only watch his reviews of films I have seen or I don't plan on seeing. After seeing some of his vids I have actually gone and watched the films and liked them, the last one was kick ass.

I can't stand to hear anything about twilight and/or harry potter so I never watch anything to do with them.

(also when was the last time you used your PS3, it's been like 9 months! Poor thing (I hope I have the right person here))
So its an internet Meme?, right Mr OP, could you remove it from the title please?
Meme's are not conducive to discussion, in fact a few people here instead of discussion the thread are discussing a Meme instead.

With regards to Twilight MovieBob would randomly make a statement about why its bad and shit in other movie vids he made.

As for the PS3, messenger turtle ready for deployment.

DigitalSushi

Dec 24, 2008
JochemDude said:
His shows are good and I know jack shit about that anything he's talking about. So I learn something every time. Other than that he seams a little too cynical and... just not that happy. Not the guy I would go and grab a beer with.

You really shouldn't put (no home) behind it. It's damn annoying when people do that.
Its seems the same pattern of cynicism is what people dislike about him, and not wanting grab a beer with him..

MovieBob: "you call that a beer?, that's a lager you fool! everyone knows that!"

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
He's the nerd archetype, but seems like a nice guy nonetheless. I used to watch his Game Overthinker stuff regularly before he started to incorporate that creepy LARP stuff into it. Don't agree with all of his opinions [although that's healthy, anyway], and I was quite pleased when he was hired by the Escapist.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
He's a very smart fanboy.

He can be intelligent if he wants to be, but usually his fanboyishness gets the better of him. The Big Picture episode where he talks about Uncharted pretty much proves that sometimes he really just talks out of his ass.