I really like Movie Bob

Wieke

Quite Dutch.
Mar 30, 2009
I like him as moviebob. Like him less in the big picture, far too nerdy (well the wrong kind of nerdy, if it was a science news/blog show i would love it) and rarely involves anything I would actually call "the big picture". Kinda dislike him in the game over thinker, probably because I'm a pc gamer and couldn't care less about the "good old console days" (though I own a wii, ds and have acces to a gamecube, have played with the nes, snes and n64 at a friends place).

ozium

Feb 8, 2011
Ý think he's awesome. I find him to be very agreeable when it comes to movie reviews. As for "The Big Picture" Ý dont like it as much as the film reviews but sometimes you hear about something rather interesting in that show.

Cutter9792

Nov 22, 2009
He needs a new microphone, a new artist, and a new editor. Other than that, most of his stuff is informative and occasionally entertaining.

michiehoward

Apr 18, 2010
I love Bob, love both his shows, he is witty and informative. LOL

Sometimes he can be abit over the top, but it show the passion he has for the things he enjoys.
Though I thought he almost cried at the end of reviewing Green Lantern.

Gamer_152

Mar 3, 2011
I don't always agree with him and I thought The Game Overthinker really went off the rails recently but damn, overall I think Bob does excellent work. I love American Bob, The Game Overthinker (before the recent antics), The Big Picture, Escape to the Movies and all his other stuff.

MasterOfWorlds

Oct 1, 2010
I like MovieBob. I think that he makes a lot of valid points, and I agree with a lot of them. We might not see eye to eye on everything, but I can at least respect the fact that he does have at least some basis for the arguments that he's making.

That being said, I watch all of his reviews, and often base whether I see a movie based on his review because we share a lot of the same tastes in movies. Every movie he's said was good that I've seen, I really enjoyed, and every movie he said was meh or flat out bad that I saw, I agreed with, although it was with less fanboy rage.

I like MovieBob, but sometimes he lets his fanboyism get the better of him. I can understand that though, it's annoying when someone messes up something that you have a passion for.

Aug 25, 2009
What always interests me is that he seems to be capable of conducting proper analysis. I don't know what his credentials are but having an internet critic who can when the occasion calls for it stand back and become more objective. What I like most is probably the text column (the name has just escaped me) because it often shows a much more reasoned side to the debates.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
In essence, I like Moviebob. He's funny, he understands a lot about movies so he's good for the subject matter of a movie review show and he comes across as pretty smart. Plus he's a walking encyclopedia for fascinating information that is great to hear about but I would never find out for myself (all the comic book stuff).
Watching his videos has becoming something of a bonding experience for me and my older sister, as she often watched a few everytime she comes around.
I also, for the most part, agree strongly with his political views and it is always nice to have someone on 'the left' making videos for the Escapist.

That said, I don't agree with everything about the man. His attitude regarding Halo and the fanbase of said Halo continues to piss me off. He has NO idea what the hell he's talking about when he does analyasis and yet speaks in such an arrogant condescending and hateful way that I just can't stand to listen to him.
Second is the Nintendo fanboyism, I could handle that if he wasn't so heavily biased in favor of Nintendo in all its forms. Especially when he can't stop ragging on Halo or any other FPS series out there even though ultimatley, in some cases, there are Nintendo games that he openly praises that have far worse problems.
I also don't much care for his trolling attitude, and while I agree that Natalie Portman, Scarlett Johansson and just about every hot woman in movies is hot... I don't like being reminded of that over and over again.

gillebro

Nov 13, 2009
I like him a lot. I think he's a smart bloke and every argument he makes is backed up with evidence. That's how you make an argument. His arguments are often controversial and go against the mainstream, but that's also a good thing. If people don't go against popular opinion every now and then, we wouldn't be able to discuss things any more.

Also, I think he's a good writer. His turn of phrase is nice and he delivers both good comedy and good... "drama" is the wrong word, but when he's presenting something serious his turn of phrase is good.

Clearly others like him, or else he wouldn't still be on here, would he?

DazBurger

May 22, 2009
I like him in a non-homoerotic way (No homo).

I especially like (srsly, no homo) his ability to show the silliness in everything.

I don't like how he spews some of his opinions out (homo) about certain things, that he obviously have little knowledge about and ignores important fact in order to twist the subject into something... Gay.

For.I.Am.Mad

May 8, 2010
I use to really not like him but he's a lot better than all the other nerds with an internet show, and he never hustled me for money.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I appreciate his knowledge and enjoy the facts and arguments he brings to the table, even I don't always agree with him. I don't, however, like how he frequently turns to personal attacks against those who don't agree with him.. so that pretty much prevents me from actually "liking" him.

PsiMatrix

Gray Jedi
Feb 4, 2008
I gave up watching around the one after "Jennifer's Body" because the video quality was so poor that any text that came up blurred into a red and black mess and he spent so much time slating Megan Fox that he spent the next vid following up criticism on the actual movie itself.

The other big reason is that I don't bother with movie critics since they're a dime-a-dozen but since the show was on the Escapist, I thought he had something new or different that warranted a look. And after all those shows I didn't feel entertained or amused so I stopped.

sluggyfreelancer

Apr 16, 2009
Just came to say that this is second time I've seen the 'no homo' thing. First time was a thread asking about it. Probably don't see it because I don't venture on Youtube...

Archer666

May 27, 2011
He's alright from time to time. Sometimes he has something interesting to say, other times he's fanboying it up like crazy. I liked his GO stuff before he decided he needed a story in it. He seems to have become a bit of an asshole. Especially in his Fast 5 review.

9thRequiem

Sep 21, 2010
EttM is one of my favourite shows on the Escapist. He's extremely strongly opinionated, but always backs it up with sound arguments. I don't agree with him all the time, but the overall process is pretty good.
I will say that the videos could use some visual polish though; the low-style is part of it's charm, but it goes too far.

A.A.K

Mar 7, 2009
I like him, i watch every video as it's released and I agree with his cynicism.
Whilst I believe in having your own opinion, beliefs and interests, he has high standards - with his opinions all justified.
Sure he hated The Expendables, and I thought The Expendables was a fun ride...but I agreed with him on the subject that action films are getting hideously homogeneous and generic, stale. I fell asleep out of pure boredom through the last 2 'Bond' films for example.

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
I'm a fan of his work, especially the Game Overthinker. It can be annoying when he's intentionally flame baiting (The Big Picture episode "PC Gaming is Dead..." and the Extra Credits episode "Consoles are the New Coin-Op" basically say the same thing...guess which one pissed everyone off), but at least his opinion, even if phrased in a way to piss off people who disagree with him, is usually well thought-out. Oh, and it's always nice to see a game commentator who doesn't give Nintendo a hard time for no apparent reason.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
ColdStorage said:
omega 616 said:
I have to ask this, why put "no homo"? Were not going to think "he said he likes a guy, so gay" even if we did what does it matter? Nobody knows who you are! Is being thought of as gay by random people you will never meet that bad?

I like movie bob (so homo) his shows are quite funny and interesting. Nothing really bad to say about his vids. There nothing overly special but there by no means bad.
Yeah I'm not understanding the "(no homo)" bit in the title, maybe homosexual's don't back their statements with solid arguments?
"No homo" makes me angry, it's like saying, "take me seriously because I'm not homosexual". Maybe I'm slightly jaded by being omnisexual but I still find it kinda derogatory.

OT: I preferred Moviebob when he was doing Game Overthinker, and even then, I haven't watched one of them since v22. To me he's just an angry comic book fanboy now, I haven't watched his Transformers or Green Lantern reviews because I know they will just be filled with him ragging on how the films are bad because he's already decided that they're bad because they are poor comic book adaptations. But even in his "Fan boy free break downs" I still can't take him seriously.