"I Really Want To Play Iron Man," Says Jackie Chan

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
"I Really Want To Play Iron Man," Says Jackie Chan

If there's any one element lacking from Robert Downey Jr.'s performance in the Iron Man film franchise, it's definitely kung fu.

Straight up, Jackie Chan is a living legend. If you've seen any of his films, you're well aware of how agile, athletic and fearless Chan is, but simply punching thugs in elaborately choreographed fashion just isn't enough for the action star anymore. These days he wants to get into the superhero business.

"I really want to play Iron Man but I don't think the audiences want to see me as Iron Man" Chan told IGN. "Anyway, nobody pays me big money to make this kind of movie. I love Iron Man and this kind of movie, but no one hires me. Fools!"

Wait a tick, didn't Jackie Chan retire from making action movies a few years back? If I recall correctly, at one point he claimed that the film Chinese Zodiac would be his last action star role. Wouldn't that conflict with his Iron Man aspirations? Yes, and no. According to Chan, he was misinterpreted. "I didn't say I retired, what I said when I was making Chinese Zodiac was that it would be my last big action movie and obviously that turned out not to be true," he says.

While Chan obviously has affection for the character, that's not the only reason he'd like to be cast in a big-budget Marvel Studios superhero flick. According to Chan, it's also an effort to take on roles that are more suited to a man of his age. "No one wants to pay me the big money to play in sci-fi movies," Chan states. "Everyone wants to see me do action. But I have to tell my audience, sometimes I might use a stunt double now, you might see some green screen, forgive me because I'm not young anymore."

Given that Chan is pushing 60, that seems pretty reasonable. Even at that age he could likely punch you six times, then kick you into a conveniently-placed dumpster before you even knew what happened, but at some point Chan will have to stop performing his legendary stunt work. Relying on the kinds of CGI technology employed by Marvel's films seems like a great way to maintain his star power while preventing his elderly bones from bursting into clouds of dust.

Of course, the obvious, most important question is, "Would you want to see Jackie Chan as Iron Man?"

Source: IGN [http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/22/i-want-to-play-iron-man-says-jackie-chan]

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I'd sooner see him as Iron Man than Nic Cage as Superman. A lot of actors have aspirations that will never come true.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
I dunno about Iron Man, but Jackie Chan as the Mandarin would be kinda awesome.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Iron Man? No. Another Marvel Superhero? Definitely.

I'm sure there are plenty of roles he'd be great for in the series, but I don't really think he's got Mojo to be Stark. The reason everyone accepted Ruffalo so readily is because he played Banner better than Norton did. Chan's not going to out-Tony Downey Jr.

That said, I really would love to see him as a part of the franchise. I just don't know enough about the Marvel Roster to guess where he could fit in well.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Of course, the obvious, most important question is, "Would you want to see Jackie Chan as Iron Man?"

as if thats really a question.

<spoiler=Especially after seeing this picture>http://i.crackedcdn.com/phpimages/article/3/0/4/181304_v1.jpg

I think it would be intresting to see jackie chan in an iron man suit. I dont know how youd explain the continuity (or fit jackie to the character especially after RDJr is coming off it and being identified as iron man like christian bale has been more or less identified as batman.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Earnest Cavalli said:
Jackie as Iron Man? no. Jackie in a Marvel movie? Hell. Fucking. YES!!!

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
Agayek said:
Agreed. I can't recall Chan playing a villain role, so that would be pretty sweet.

TheProfessor234

Aug 20, 2010
Yeah, I agree with what people are saying. Seeing Mr. Chan in a high budjet Marvel film would be sweet, hero or villain, as long as he was fighting and the like.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
RaNDM G said:
Agayek said:
Agreed. I can't recall Chan playing a villain role, so that would be pretty sweet.
The only problem is that Jackie Chan is indestructible, so any villain he plays would have to win.

I guess I'd pay to see Jackie Chan play Iron Man. Not sure he's right for the job though.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
Iron Man, no, but Iron Fist maybe? Or Shen Kuei? I dunno, Either way, yes he'd be great in a Marvel film

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Wouldn't that make him overpowered? He already know kung fu so add in the armour, flight and pulse blast etc? It would be like Batman having a green lantern ring (yes I know about that image).

In saying so I guess he must of been annoyed that they didn't wanted him in those extra China scenes added when the film was premier in China (look it up if you didn't know Marvel added unnecessary scene of TonY in China looking for the Mandarin cos they wanted it make it more appealing to the Chinese audiences).

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
You know... I absolutely couldn't see Jackie Chan as Iron Man as portrayed by Robert Downey Jr.. His English isn't strong enough, and god love the man, his dramatic range isn't quite up to it.

But a Hong Kong-style Iron Man re-imagining with a lighter tone and a Chinese cast...? Oddly enough, I could imagine that working. I'm not saying it would ever happen in this world with character rights being what they are, but I could imagine a movie like that that would be well worth seeing.

strumbore

Mar 1, 2013
IRON MAN WAS WHIIIIIIITE!!!!

(lol just trolling!)

the guy's half-kidding. He wants to be in a Marvel film (who wouldn't?) but everyone knows only RDJ could ever be the "real" iron man, it's almost like Stan Lee invented the character for him 50 yrs in advance. Everyone loves Jackie Chan, and there's no one Stallone won't cram into his awful Expendables movies anyway, so he may as well start training now. As for Marvel...why not? =)

Tortilla the Hun

Decidedly on the Fence
May 7, 2011
I agree with what some people here have already stated. I couldn't see him as Iron Man, though I would like to see him somewhere in the Marvel Universe. I'm sure there's a role for him somewhere.