"I really want to play this game!"

SteveTR

May 4, 2012
I think most of us had (or still have) that game which we really wanted to play and knew we'd love, but for whatever reason couldn't. Perhaps the game came out on a specific console and you didn't own it. Or perhaps your PC wasn't good enough to run it. This thread is all about that.

In recent memory, I've had too such games. The first one was Fire Emblem Awakening. When the game came out, I wasn't really interested in ot. Then I started playing previous games in the series and realised I really like them. Suddenly, I really wanted to play Awakening, but couldn't. I didn't own a 3DS back then, y'see. I eventually got over this, but other such games started popping out. It all ended when I got a 3DS for Christmas. I didn't get Awakening immediately, though, it was about two months later I think.

The second one was Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater 3D. Again, when the game came out, I didn't care about the series to which it belongs. I didn't even care about the 3DS, although I did already own the DS. Then, in January of this year, a friend of mine started playing the game. I watched him play and listened to what he had to say about the game. Needless to say, he loved it. I had played MGS1 before so I knew what the series was about, but I had not seen MGS3 in action. It's funny, him playing MGS3 actually got me interested in the series as a whole and led to me beating the first two games. After that, I knew I had to get the third one. He told me I could borrow it from him, but 3DS games are region locked, so that idea was scrapped quickly. I had to buy it in a European store. Everywhere I bought a videogame, I searched for Snake Eater to no avail. It ws as if the game had never even existed. I started looking online and failed to find an online store where they would have it. Amazon was out of the question. Then, I found the game in probably the most well-known Czech online game store. I ordered it faster than you could say "Metal Gear?!". The game arrived yesterday. Apparently, it was the last copy, so I lucked out. My friends weren't lying, it really is the best one in the series.

What about you? Did you have such game(s)? Did your story have a happy ending, or did you never get the desired title?

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
I remember the first time I saw footage of katamari. I didn't have a ps2. But now I do and have 2 katamari games on that and beautiful katamari for the 360.

I also remember the first footage I saw of crackdown consisting of people blowing up tons of barrels. So I got that game.

I do see some games on Wii u that I want to play, but I don't have the cash so whatever.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
I suppose I'd like to play Ico and Shadow of the Colossus HD, but I hear that they have framerate problems (or at least the latter does).

I would also like to play Catherine.

But I'm in no hurry, I do have a *lot* of gaems.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Pink Gregory said:
I suppose I'd like to play Ico and Shadow of the Colossus HD, but I hear that they have framerate problems (or at least the latter does).
Actually the HD version gets rid of the framerate problem SotC had. On the PS2 the motion blur was working overtime trying to mask the sometimes single digit framerate.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
I have this problem every time a total war game comes out. I can't recall a single time when my computer was strong enough to run the latest installment right away.

I never owned a playstation so most Final Fantasy's after VI weren't available for me.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
From sixth grade to junior year of high school, I wanted nothing more to play World of Warcraft. My first problem was money. I didn't have the money to pay for the monthly subscription. Next was internet. I didn't have high-speed internet until I was thirteen. I did finally manage to play it when I was sixteen. I still play on and off now.

Other than that a few PC exclusives I could never play because my PC sucks. Luckily my machine can play almost anything now on at least medium. I'll probably buy a desktop soon though.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
For a while I was disappointed I couldn't continue the series I had started on the PS2 - like God of War or Disgaea - because I didn't own a PS3. For quite a long while. Then that changed. Now I just complain about the series I won't be able to continue - like Kingdom Hearts and the Arkham games - because I don't own a PS4 :p

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
The one game I reeeaaallllyy wanted to play when it came out was Resident Evil 4(original Gamecube release back in 2005). I bought a GC just in anticipation of this game. Turned out the game was released in the States in january while the euro release was 3 months later. That wait was excruciating! :p

Feb 4, 2014
I really want to play Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance but i don't have a 3DS (sure i could buy one but I think that I'll have TOO much consoles (not really too much but I don't want people to complain that I'm addicted :p)

I also wanted to play Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep (see a pattern :3)but I never got a PSP, so when I got a Vita I thought for sure that KH BBS would be on the PSN but allas it was never meant to be...
==> So Hell yea for KH2.5 ReMIX :D

Als pokemon X/Y cuz 3D pokemon duh :p

And definetly: ALL of the Shin Megami Tensei games (non Persona): I NEVER saw any of these games in the stores that I frequented (Belgium, Europe) so when I heard dat Digital Devil Saga would come on PSN in Europe I was really excited, then it came out :D.... and apparently it isn't available in my country T_T (Which almost NEVER happens D:)

Oh regarding Digital Devil Saga ==> apparently it had very low framerate (15 fps) all the time? Is this true?

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
I've lost my copy of Eternal Darkness somewhere. It's one of my favourite games, and while it's not exactly a game with a lot of replay-value, I'd love to play it again.

I'd like to play Silent Hill 2 as well. Never have, and I'd like to.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
I have that exact feeling towards the Witcher series.
Since my PC can barely handle most games, I wrote it off as one of those things I won't get to play any time soon.
Then, GOG discounted the first one to a ludicrously cheap price, so I caved, bought it and to my delight, could play it, albeit at all settings on low. I've just hit Chapter 3, and so far, I'm weeping that I won't be able to continue the series unless I upgrade my rig.
One of these days I will, if only for Witcher 2 and 3, but that's a dream at the moment.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
Pink Gregory said:
Actually the HD version gets rid of the framerate problem SotC had. On the PS2 the motion blur was working overtime trying to mask the sometimes single digit framerate.
Well! This is good news!

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
I've wanted to play the Silent Hill, God of War, Uncharted, Infamous, and Little Big Planet games for a long time now, but given that I only own a broken PS2 and don't have the money to get a new one or a PS3, that likely won't happen anytime soon. I would add Shadow of the Colossus to that list, but I hear that it aged horribly.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
Pink Gregory said:
Casual Shinji said:
Pink Gregory said:
Well! This is good news!
Not only that, if you have a 3D TV, the 3D settings of SotC bring something even more magical to the game. I played through the entire thing in 3D and loved every second. Ico's 3D was kind of unplayable though with the static camera.

Both magnificent games though. Do it. Do it now.

Going to play through SotC again now.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
My computer is really bad at running games so I've never been able to play Hard Reset, the Shadow Warriors revival thing and I honestly don't trust it to run Brutal Doom. My PC can't even run TF2 if I'm trying to play an offline bot match...

Then there's the over-all money issue keeping me from keeping up with games from this year, last year and previous years. I want to play Deadpool, Far Cry 3, Dishonored, Thief, Wolfenstien: The New One, Sonic: Lost Worlds U, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Super Luigi U, Mario Kart 8, Max Payne 3, LA Noir, Castlevania Judgement, Kirby's Return to Dreamland, Ducktale's Remastered, Sonic Colors, Kingdoms of Amalure, Dragon's Dogma, Sonic Generations, Sonic Colors, Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut U...Anybody want to give me money in exchange for my continuing to not be very annoying?

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
I want to try Nintendo games like Pokemon, Mario or Zelda. I don't know that I'll like them so I'm not going to buy a console just to play them, as it'll be a huge waste if I don't want to play them a lot.

iseko

Dec 4, 2008
The resident evil series (never owned a playstation)

Halo. I played the first on pc. Loved it. Couldn't play the second since I still had XP at the time. Never played it since. For shame.

Madame_Lawliet

Jul 16, 2013
All the good stuff currently out for or coming to the WiiU would be the obvious choice, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, and Wind Waker HD are the ones that immediately come to mind, and come their release you can bet that Yoshi's Woolly World, Bayonetta 2, and that new Kirby game will likely be added to that list.
But to play those guys I would have to get a WiiU and I just... don't... want one.

Also Witcher 2, which is beyond my PC's specs and I don't own a 360 (fourth Generation Playstation veteran, never cared much for the Xboxes).

Also a handfull of games that haven't come over here yet, Mother 1&3 are the obvious examples, also Sweet Home, the first Clocktower, Tingle's Rose-Coloured Rupeeland (Google it), and until this fall Super Dangan Ronpa 2, as well as Dangan Ronpa: Another Episode which I'm REALLY hoping we get a simultaneous release of even though I know that I'm kidding myself.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I can't really say a console game because that is a cop out answer, being an exclusive PC gamer and all, so I will go with some old school RPG's that I haven't played back in the day and I cannot now because of my tolerance of graphical fidelity.

Titles such as: Icewind Dale, Pools of Radiance, Fallout 1&2.