I think EA/Bioware are blatantly trolling now.

Malfy

Jul 16, 2010
idarkphoenixi said:
Next they'll be using the golden poo trophy as a reason to call Mass Effect "an award winning game"
Yes. Get on it, PR. I want full fledged trolling at this point now.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
dreadedcandiru99 said:
http://i.imgur.com/Ikg4Q.jpg

That's one way of putting it, I guess. It's like how the Titanic provoked a bigger cruise line passenger reaction than any other ship in maritime history.

(captcha: "Gotham City." Awesome. That's a step up from the car ads, at least.)
Over 75 perfect scores bought and paid for! Challange everything, including good business practices!

EA twists and dements everything they touch ... be it a developer or statistics. This is just business as usual.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Abedeus said:
Indecipherable said:
Remember they are not changing the story because of integrity.

This whole thing is simply excruciating.
Javik/From Ashes.

What was that about integrity?

If you actually bring him on few missions (Asari planet, to name the most important), he says things that COMPLETELY change shit about Asaris, Protheans and their input in the development of races from current cycle. This isn't Kasumi or Zaeed that have one loyalty mission and few fun remarks on ship/during conversations, it's plot-relevant information. Frankly, during mentioned mission where Liara says "Beacon is probably reacting to the imprints in you, Shepard!" (paraphrased), to which Javik responds "Or the Prothean standing right here". It's basically implied that Javik was meant to be in the original game. Same with his comments on Thessia, about how the asari goddesses were actually Protheans uplifting and protecting asaris.

Either you keep "integrity" from start to end or you shut up. It's almost as dumb as the "It's art!" excuse.
I understand what you are trying to say, but IMO this isn't a good example.

The thing in is knowing the history of the Asari or how they became the most advanced race in the galaxy has very to no impact on the plot of ME3. While its nice to have this background info on the Asari it is for the most part irrelevant.

Now there is one scene involving Javik that is sort of important and that's the conversation you have with him about Legion. During this conversation Javik talks about the differences between synthetic and organic life and how he believes that conflict between the two will always be inevitable. In a way, you could say that this scene foreshadows a bit about the ending where it is revealed that the whole synthetics vs organics conflict is the reaper's primary justification for what they have done.

5t3v0

Jan 15, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
5t3v0 said:
Well, you know what they say. There is no such thing as bad publicity.
If that were true, Ubisoft wouldn't have slashed their dev teams, EA wouldn't have addressed the Retake movement at all, and WWE wouldn't see stocks plummet based on fictional events.
Well there is one thing that all of those have in common: They all still exist, and we talk about it. I know its not the exact same as celebrities but even in infamy if a game company is still being talked about it means someone is buying their products. The ones that do just suddenly collapse? the seldom mentioned developers.

projectpinkx

Feb 29, 2012
This is like when a movie reviewer is reviewing a movie and says "This film is a profoundly fantastic piece of garbage." and the studio behind the movie puts "profoundly fantastic!" on ads for the movie.

BuddhaGeek

May 12, 2010
Oh dear God... I uninstalled ME3 and went off to play other non-EA games... I thought I had put this BS behind me, until now....

Oy vey, EA... >.<

Aigaion

Jul 10, 2011
I see so much anger and threads about Mass Effect 3, and so few of them are positive, it makes me kinda sad actually. I loved the game and thought that Bioware did and amazing job. They made these three fantastic games that have honestly changed how I see RPG's and all anyone talks about is the end, which while I'll admit had a lot of holes wasn't really that bad.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
The sad part is that if EA manages to get even one person to buy ME3 just to see what all this fan reaction regarding the ending is all about, then this marketing strategy worked for them.

Shrapenel92

Mar 27, 2012
You've got to admire their ability to turn a storm of fan-rage into an effective marketing campaign >.<

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Mike Richards said:
Stilt said:
Should read "over 75 perfect scores after coercion"
Not to pick on you specifically, but this is a good example of the kind of reaction I'm talking about. Is it really so hard to believe that 75 people had a different opinion then you? I've seen so many people on here jump directly to discrediting the integrity of the reviewers for doing what reviewers do, and doing the same to the creators for having a different idea about how things should be done in what is first and foremost THEIR work. This is the kind of thing that makes us look immature, and the discussion about the ending would be much better off for all sides without it.
I had to jump in here. I am always suspicious when I see 100% scores because that means it is a "perfect" game. "PERFECT", as in why bother to make another game ever? It will never pull fans away from the "perfect" game that will never fall out of favor because it is "perfect". Add to that the shady business that goes on with advertising money and you have to wonder...

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Bioware/EA.....generally the first step to getting out of a hole is to stop digging.

Not get the backhoe out.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
5t3v0 said:
Well there is one thing that all of those have in common: They all still exist, and we talk about it. I know its not the exact same as celebrities but even in infamy if a game company is still being talked about it means someone is buying their products. The ones that do just suddenly collapse? the seldom mentioned developers.
And EA is eating money on Mass Effect, the steroids scandal nearly killed WWE and drove away a lot of investors, and Ubisoft is projected to go under.

Should Ubisoft go under, does that mean there's no such thing as bad publicity? Part of the reason they're hemorrhaging is that they got so much publicity. The publicity is what's making it so hard for them to recover,has led to layoffs, and has led to further stock/profit issues and projection of failure.

This is a good thing simply because they're still alive? They're less alive than they were before the publicity.

Come on.

5t3v0

Jan 15, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
5t3v0 said:
And EA is eating money on Mass Effect, the steroids scandal nearly killed WWE and drove away a lot of investors, and Ubisoft is projected to go under.

Should Ubisoft go under, does that mean there's no such thing as bad publicity? Part of the reason they're hemorrhaging is that they got so much publicity. The publicity is what's making it so hard for them to recover,has led to layoffs, and has led to further stock/profit issues and projection of failure.

This is a good thing simply because they're still alive? They're less alive than they were before the publicity.

Come on.
I admit because I am tired and can't really keep this up I can't respond to much else, but that last bit took what I was saying out of context.

Its not neccesarily a good thing, but the point I was trying to get across is that despite all this controversy, the hatred spread, They are still alive and kicking, despite how every single internet comment is "FUCK EA IN THE ARSE".

Mass effect still sold a fuckton, and its not the only game they sell. They are still notable because as I said, despite their apparent universal hatred people still buy their games.

Danial

Apr 7, 2010
I doubt anyone involved in the making of this game had any say or design in this, this is a PR department or a 3P marketing agency.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
5t3v0 said:
I admit because I am tired and can't really keep this up I can't respond to much else, but that last bit took what I was saying out of context.
Out of context my arse. The original context was "no such thing as bad publicity."

Its not neccesarily a good thing, but the point I was trying to get across is that despite all this controversy, the hatred spread, They are still alive and kicking, despite how every single internet comment is "FUCK EA IN THE ARSE".
And out of context, that sounds great. The point is, this has demonstrably hurt them. That publicity is the reason they're in trouble; stock prices dropped because of a combination of EA publicity over Mass Effect, the refunding of money on the game for PR, and lackluster performance of many other titles.

Quite frankly, this is bad publicity. The studios that have been shut down, contrary to your prior statement, do sometimes do so with an actual fanfare instead of quietly passing.

Mass effect still sold a fuckton, and its not the only game they sell. They are still notable because as I said, despite their apparent universal hatred people still buy their games.
And they are still hurting. Because of bad publicity.