I think it's time to talk seriously about GoTY...

Isalan

Jun 9, 2008
Gotta be Skyrim or Bastion for me. Musta finished Bastion 3-4 times, and Skyrim is shaping up to be an awesome (if somewhat) daunting task.

Regardless, Bastion deserves some kind of prize just for being indie and superb.

Captcha: you're netsbut. So remember to refer to me as netsbut from now on.

Nicolairigel

May 6, 2011
1. Skyrim
2. Portal 2
3. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
4. Zelda: Skyward Sword (Haven't gotten to actually play, but I've seen enough of it)
5. E.Y.E: Divine Cybernancy (Completely only for me, but I freaking loved this game)

MakerOfRoads

Aug 19, 2009
I'm almost ashamed to admit that my steam account has registered almost 82 hours since release. I work a full time job as well, so its sucked up majority of my free time as of late.

So no surprise that it would earn my earnest GOTY support. No game I've played (that isn't multiplayer centric) could withstand this kind of playing and still be fun. As fun as it was, DA2 couldn't stand up to this level of playing for 1/4 as long before it became really boring.

But for the sake of providing a little bit of variety, here is my top 3.

1: Skyrim - great storyline, good graphics, extremely expansive environs, impressive amount of replay-ability.
2: Deus Ex : HR - great storyline, very polished, great graphics, very fun
3: Rage - Vistas that could take your breath away, good storyline, very fun

Im not going to say that I'm not a FPS-er, but I don't see the value in buying the same game for the 4th time (the same reason I think the madden and NBA 2K-- series' aren't actually games, but rackets that should be looked into by the authorities). I may pick up BF3 later on, but its not that big of a deal to me. I've heard Batman: AC was a great game, and that may be what I pick up next.

TheRussian

May 8, 2011
1. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
---Best RPG I've ever played.
2. Portal 2
---Best Story, mechanics, audio/visuals and Co-Op.
3. Saints Row: The Third.
---Most entertaining sandbox game I've played all year.
4. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
---Great story, gameplay, and mechanics.
5. Battlefield 3
---Best multiplayer experience of the year.

zenoaugustus

Feb 5, 2009
I gotta go Skyrim. It may not be perfect, but it is the fullest game I've ever played. It rivals MMOs with the amount of content in it.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
People have been making threads about seriously talking about the game of the year for months now. Wait until it's closer to January before flooding the place with these.

Johnnydillinger

Aug 16, 2011
While I haven't played a good portion of the mentioned ones like Skyrim (frankly, I'm not interested in this one though), the 2 games that have been robbing me of my time were Human Revolution and The Binding Of Isaac. Out of which I would rather choose the latter one because of its replayability, but then again it's part of the game mechanic that you play it multiple times (yet not play the same game twice), so I'm not so sure. I'll call it tied, and hope that would be broken when I finally buy Bastion.

Srkkl

Apr 1, 2009
Skyrim and BF3 have been my favorites so far. I can't stop playing either.

DaJoW

Aug 17, 2010
For me it's Skyrim, but obviously all the AAA games of the year will be re-released next year as "GOTY Edition". All AAA games are always the best game of the year according to someone, and so they're all GOTY.

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
Rodrigo Girao said:
People, this is getting silly. Stop denying that Sturmwind for the Dreamcast will obviously be the game of the year!
Oooh is it out, I knew it was around now. Supposed to be region free as well so time to get my import on.

subject_87

Jul 2, 2010
I'd say either Portal 2 or Deus Ex: Human Revolution; the main reason I'm neglecting Skyrim is that I haven't had a chance to play it yet. Oh well.

Oh yeah, Bastion is a strong contender too, for being a gorgeous, fun hack-and-slash with an amazing story.

SergeantAnt

Feb 27, 2011
Haven't tried MW3, SR3rd, or Arkham City yet, but plan to.

So far though it has to be.

1. Skyrim *Drool*
2. Dark Souls (Almost first but some parts are just not fair at all, like it's border line cruelty. I have no choice but to either fight executioner and dragon knight, or fight the four kings. Both bosses just kick my ass)
3. Battlefield 3 (The online is just too good, and what the game is about anyway!)
4. Witcher 2
5. Deus Ex HR
6. Dead Space 2
7. Alice Madness Returns (Don't know i just like this one, by no means is it game of the year material. Yet on a personal level 7th best of the year :D)

MrA

Jul 26, 2009
1.) Deus Ex
2.) Skyrim
3.) Saints Row 3 or Gears 3 :p

If Dragon Age 2 wins any awards, god damn, I... I don't know what I'd do.

There are special pedestals on the lowest level of gaming hell reserved for the people who ruined such a good franchise.

Gardenia

Oct 30, 2008
I'm gonna go with Portal, and a honorable mention for BF3, Skyrim (even though I have not tried it, and have no intention to do it, basing this purely on hearsay) and the Witcher 2. I also hear Dark Souls is very good, but as I learned from Ninja Gaiden, I have no tolerance for overly difficult games.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
It'll be Skyrim. That much was decided before any other games came out this year (back in January).
And that alone should tell you how flawed the premise of a GOTY award is (at least as a serious accolade).

"GOTY" is a popularity contest plain and simple. It honestly doesn't matter what the game's specific merits/flaws are (or aren't); if the game is popular enough, it will get that GOTY label.

So talking about "GOTY" from anything other than a personal subjective perspective is laughable, because it's just a marketing label anyway.

Skyrim isn't my GOTY (I don't own it. And I don't plan to play it), but it's my guess for what wins this year.

FunctionZ

Jul 4, 2011
Portal 2 and Bastion for me.

I still have yet to play Skyrim, Batman:AC, AC:Revelations and Trine 2, waiting until December when I have more time and some come out on PC then. Based on previous games these will also fit into my top games for GOTY.

It's hard so far to pick between Portal 2 and Bastion for GOTY. Both have brilliant game-play, story and music.