I Think I've Reached A Boiling Point When It Comes To Social Justice

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Olas said:
So where am I wrong? I don't see much point in addressing the ridiculous comparison you made between a distant totalitarian political regime and a nebulous group of people on the internet. It feels almost comparable to using the term "feminazi" unironically. As for PETA, I may not agree with many of their methods or certain aspects of their ideology, but I think their goals of stopping animal cruelty and abuse are noble in principle, so I guess they are somewhat analogous to MRAs, despite being vastly more active.
I'm not comparing NK or PETA to the MRM. I was pointing out that what something says it is doesn't have to bear any relation to what it actually is.

Reactionary groups (or at least the modern, mainstream ones), won't usually say "We oppose rights for this or that minority group", they tend to say "We support the rights of this or that majority" which they see as opposed to it. You don't say you hate Muslims, you say you support Christian values. You don't say you hate homosexuals, you say you support traditional families. You don't say you hate foreigners, you say you support your nation's culture.

Now, there's nothing inherently wrong with actually doing those things, but many groups that claim to be doing that are just mostly lashing out at someone else. The MRM is one of them.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
thaluikhain said:
Olas said:
So where am I wrong? I don't see much point in addressing the ridiculous comparison you made between a distant totalitarian political regime and a nebulous group of people on the internet. It feels almost comparable to using the term "feminazi" unironically. As for PETA, I may not agree with many of their methods or certain aspects of their ideology, but I think their goals of stopping animal cruelty and abuse are noble in principle, so I guess they are somewhat analogous to MRAs, despite being vastly more active.
I'm not comparing NK or PETA to the MRM. I was pointing out that what something says it is doesn't have to bear any relation to what it actually is.

Reactionary groups (or at least the modern, mainstream ones), won't usually say "We oppose rights for this or that minority group", they tend to say "We support the rights of this or that majority" which they see as opposed to it. You don't say you hate Muslims, you say you support Christian values. You don't say you hate homosexuals, you say you support traditional families. You don't say you hate foreigners, you say you support your nation's culture.

Now, there's nothing inherently wrong with actually doing those things, but many groups that claim to be doing that are just mostly lashing out at someone else. The MRM is one of them.
I disagree.

I won't deny there's plenty of truth to what you're saying, many groups choose to claim they take pro-x stance rather than a anti-y in order to make themselves seem positive. However, that's usually just window dressing. The question is whether they actually are anti-y or not, the y in this case being women's rights. If you look at the list of issues the MRM raises, most of them are about ways in which they believe men are being slighted relative to women. If they were complaining about women being too equal or not slighted enugh, then you'd be right, but the fact that they're claiming men are discriminated against to begin with (whether it's true or not) puts them decidedly in the pro-x camp.

Does that mean that there's no underlying misogyny in the MRM? No, but I'm going to judge it based on it's openly stated positions, not the ones that it's merely suspected of.

Relish in Chaos

Mar 7, 2012
LifeCharacter said:
If you work at night and don't own a car, what exactly are you supposed to do? Just hide out somewhere until dawn?
Not that I disagree with you, but...perhaps they could order a taxi? Or sleep round a friend's house?

That's what my mum advises me today whenever I go out partying at night, when the buses have stopped running. And I?m a man; she just occasionally worries about the valid possibility of me being attacked by a drunk or something. If I did come back home with a black eye and fat lip, I doubt she?d just fold her arms and say, ?Well, it was your own fault; you shouldn?t have walked, or come back earlier?. That?s not advice. That?s just unjustifiably blaming someone for something they couldn?t have known was going to happen.

Of course, I understand that?s not realistic (referring to my first sentence, btw); depending on the rates, time, and where you live, taxis can be expensive, and not everyone wants to forgo sleeping in their own house. But advice can be just that: advice, without any malicious intent.

C14N

May 28, 2008
Bleh, as someone who doesn't use Tumblr, I really don't see much of this. I'm convinced it's just a quiet circlejerk that will never get anything done because they get hung up on issues that 99% of people either don't know exist or consider laughably trivial. At the same time, I have seen it a bit and it can be, as much as I hate the phrase, political corectness gone wild.

I've seen far more from MRAs in my time which I do find annoying though. Thing is that feminism is mainstream and I have seen feminists who are calm and intelligent and make good points. MRAs are still largely internet-only and I still have a hard time seeing one who isn't just bathing in a made up victim complex about how hard it is to be a man. I'm sure they exist, I'm sure there's some reasonable MRA out there who recognizes that while they might have some problems, so do women and they should be addressed too, but my own perception hasn't been that, it's just been endless stream of the most trivial "if this was a man, nobody would care" and "feminazi ***** cunts are all evil", often bundled in with how hard the racism white people face in the western world is because Chris Rock made a joke about white people or some shit. Basically anyone who sincerely uses the phrase "feminazi" gets ignored by me, along with things like "victim blaming".

Eryc Duhart

Mar 14, 2010
Colour Scientist said:
I see people bitching about it more than I actually see people who act like "social justice warriors," whatever that even means.

Zhukov said:
Apparently this terrible, mind-warping phenomenon is based on Tumblr. Another site I don't frequent. (It's a blog site, yeah? Like Twitter without the character limit?) So apparently all these people are jumping online, seeing something they disagree with and blowing their tops. One would think they'd just stop reading. I mean, it would be like me seeking out the nastiest right-wing website I could find or tuning into Fox News and then getting all angry about what I saw. Or getting myself all in a lather over Youtube comments.
You do have to go looking for it. I use Tumblr quite a bit and the only time I'm exposed to the "ermergerd SJWs" is when people post about them here. Mostly tumblr consists of entertaining gifs, kitsch fashion, artsy stuff, funny blog posts, unfunny blog posts and pictures of cute animals, at least in my experience.

I've brought this up before but I doubt that most people who moan about tumblr have ever actually spent a significant amount of time there, they just form their impressions from stuff linked by people who go looking for trouble.

Edit: Also, as always with these kinds of threads, hyperbole ahoy!
"Social Justice", or as some people aptly put it "people talking about their lives"

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Eryc Duhart said:
Colour Scientist said:
I see people bitching about it more than I actually see people who act like "social justice warriors," whatever that even means.

Zhukov said:
Apparently this terrible, mind-warping phenomenon is based on Tumblr. Another site I don't frequent. (It's a blog site, yeah? Like Twitter without the character limit?) So apparently all these people are jumping online, seeing something they disagree with and blowing their tops. One would think they'd just stop reading. I mean, it would be like me seeking out the nastiest right-wing website I could find or tuning into Fox News and then getting all angry about what I saw. Or getting myself all in a lather over Youtube comments.
You do have to go looking for it. I use Tumblr quite a bit and the only time I'm exposed to the "ermergerd SJWs" is when people post about them here. Mostly tumblr consists of entertaining gifs, kitsch fashion, artsy stuff, funny blog posts, unfunny blog posts and pictures of cute animals, at least in my experience.

I've brought this up before but I doubt that most people who moan about tumblr have ever actually spent a significant amount of time there, they just form their impressions from stuff linked by people who go looking for trouble.

Edit: Also, as always with these kinds of threads, hyperbole ahoy!
"Social Justice", or as some people aptly put it "people talking about their lives"
I make a fair amount of jokes about Tumblr, but in all honesty, the only things that're hard to avoid on there are Sherlock gifs.