I use too big of words. Eloquency

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
It has become a matter of almost annoyance to some of my co-workers, my using larger words or an extended vocabulary. My conundrum is whether the fault would be my [bad?] habit of making use of my ability to convey what I think more accurately than the average 800 different words people use in a day, or theirs in not being as well read. (Try to grasp the concept underlying that bais-heavy question, as opposed to simply answering the question itself.)

It's a dilemma that has been rather frustrating to think about, since while fundamentally it would be true to say that how I conduct my speech is more verbose than the average person, people I converse with do not like being regarded as such, and become quite indignant at being relegated to the term 'average'.
I thought I'd pose the question to others who's opinions might provide some insight.

ItsAChiaotzu

Apr 20, 2009
Your colleagues are probably more bothered by the fact that you come across as massively condescending as opposed to just the fact that you use more syllables than they do.

cookyy2k

Aug 14, 2009
Anarchemitis said:
It has become a matter of almost annoyance to some of my co-workers, my using larger words or an extended vocabulary. My conundrum is whether the fault would be my [bad?] habit of making use of my ability to convey what I think more accurately than the average 800 different words people use in a day, or theirs in not being as well read. (Try to grasp the concept underlying that bais-heavy question, as opposed to simply answering the question itself.)

It's a dilemma that has been rather frustrating to think about, since while fundamentally it would be true to say that how I conduct my speech is more verbose than the average person, people I converse with do not like being regarded as such, and become quite indignant at being relegated to the term 'average'.
I thought I'd pose the question to others who's opinions might provide some insight.
I do the same when talking, though less so online. I just ignore any complaints. I'm not going to dumb down what I say for someone since it loses its specific meaning a lot of the time. I also tend to instantly lose interest if someone I'm talking with starts using the "trendy" pronunciations for everyday words, e.g buz (bus), scoo (school), axe (ask) etc.

NotSoLoneWanderer

Jul 5, 2011
Ugh, never dumb yourself done for the majority protelariet. Big words are one of the relative few joys of my day. Don't go out of your way to use them though as that is, just to use the most colloquial term, dickish or douch-e (douchy?).
But anyway nice to meet you. Surprised I've never seen you considering how active you are.

knhirt

Nov 9, 2009
Anarchemitis said:

You should work on the basic skill of conveying ideas clearly before attempting verbal flourishes.
Above all, remember that brevity can be far more impressive than large amounts of syllables.
"Less is more".

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
ItsAChiaotzu said:
Your colleagues are probably more bothered by the fact that you come across as massively condescending as opposed to just the fact that you use more syllables than they do.
Most likely. In my (admittedly few years of) experience, it's okay to be the smartest person in the room, but you shouldn't say it. Because doing so makes you a massive douche. Also, chances are that you're wrong.

drummond13

Apr 28, 2008
I use big words too. Nobody I work with seems to have a problem with it.

The thing is, using a big word where a smaller word would have worked better often makes one look pretentious. If you talk the way you write above, I can see how some people might find it off-putting. You say these words covey what you're trying to say more accurately. Maybe they do and maybe they don't, but some of the word choices you used above actually made your paragraphs more confusing and difficult to follow (even though I know the meaning off all the words you used. The writing doesn't really flow). And if you're using your vocabulary to feel smarter than your co-workers (and it sure sounds like you are), then how can you blame them for being annoyed? Especially if you have, as you put it, "relegated them to the term 'average'". This is not something people do and then remain well-liked in the workplace.

Words exist to help us be understood, not to help us feel superior to our co-workers. Maybe I'm reading you totally wrong, and if so I apologize. It's hard to analyze someone based on only a few paragraphs of their writing. But just from your own description of the situation it sounds like the problem is more how you use your words than your co-workers lack of ability to understand them.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Being an idiot, yet boasting of greater brain power: foolish.

Being the smartest and openly boasting about it: dangerous.

Being yourself and watching the others make fools of themselves: blissful.

Stall

Apr 16, 2011
Brevity is the soul of wit. It's not how many big words you can throw at your listener, but how quickly, precisely, and eficiently you are able to communicate your ideas-- a concept lost on you, since you clearly are more interested in showing off your better than average vocabulary to strangers on the internet than to curtly and effectively communicate a point.

So yes,if you do feel the need to complusively confound everything you say with needlessly complex words, then I wholeheartedly agree with your co-workers. It,s not how many syllables you use, but how few. The pointless use of 'big words doesn't make you smart: it makes you pompous

cookyy2k

Aug 14, 2009
Matthew94 said:
ItsAChiaotzu said:
Yeah, I +1 this.

Maybe you should make your points in a more clear and concise manner rather than speaking a whole load of waffle but take twice as long to say anything and confuse the people you are talking to.

EDIT Not to say I am confused, I mean your co-workers, just to be clear.
But if your natural speaking style is to use the longer words in the dictionary why change that for the monosyllabic out there? I don't see why educated people should be expected to lower themselves, like being uneducated is somehow something to strive for. Too much in society is rewarding those that don't try and don't know. Higher educational levels should be the thing everyone is encouraged to strive for.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
cookyy2k said:
Matthew94 said:
ItsAChiaotzu said:
Yeah, I +1 this.

Maybe you should make your points in a more clear and concise manner rather than speaking a whole load of waffle but take twice as long to say anything and confuse the people you are talking to.

But if your natural speaking style is to use the longer words in the dictionary why change that for the monosyllabic out there? I don't see why educated people should be expected to lower themselves, like being uneducated is somehow something to strive for. Too much in society is rewarding those that don't try and don't know. Higher educational levels should be the thing everyone is encouraged to strive for.
I think that they aren't saying that he should lower himself, but that he shouldn't flaunt off his intelligence just because he's intelligent.
There is a difference between using big words to actually mean something and using big words to sound smarter than others.
One of those 2 options doesn't make you a giant douche.

lobster1077

Feb 7, 2011
Yes some people coming out of English lectures sound like they took the wrong turn on their way to a Dickens tale. I endeavour to ration the quantity of obscure words that I partake in during converse. Excessive obscurity only detriments the clarity with which your points are perceivable.

Dec 14, 2009
I gotta say, the way you worded your title makes my brain hurt.

OT: I can sound intelligent without being a pretentious douche.

It's a fine balance.

cookyy2k

Aug 14, 2009
Radeonx said:
cookyy2k said:
Matthew94 said:
ItsAChiaotzu said:
Yeah, I +1 this.

I think that they aren't saying that he should lower themselves, but that he shouldn't flaunt off his intelligence just because he's intelligent.
There is a difference between using big words to actually mean something and using big words to sound smarter than others.
Yes, and as said above, "if your natural speaking style is to use the longer words in the dictionary" in my case it's just how I speak. I'm not thinking "oh I can seem more intelligent" or "oh I'm going to show off" I'm just talking.

Indeterminacy

Feb 13, 2011
Anarchemitis said:
(Try to grasp the concept underlying that bais-heavy question, as opposed to simply answering the question itself.)
Can you not see the irony in this request? It's one thing to use long words, but the way you're using them here relies on interpretive charity on the part of your reader/listener.

I should think when one places burdens on others, it is only courteous to diminish them in the manner in which one places them.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
cookyy2k said:
Radeonx said:
cookyy2k said:
Matthew94 said:
ItsAChiaotzu said:
Yeah, I +1 this.

I think that they aren't saying that he should lower themselves, but that he shouldn't flaunt off his intelligence just because he's intelligent.
Yes, and as said above, "if your natural speaking style is to use the longer words in the dictionary" in my case it's just how I speak. I'm not thinking "oh I can seem more intelligent" or "oh I'm going to show off" I'm just talking.
And as said above, there is a difference between using big words and peppering them in all the time in order to sound intelligent.
Everything you've said in this thread doesn't use obnoxiously high level words, so you're fine. In terms of a bunch of people's opinions of you, my experience is that they normally don't care unless you're constantly using incredibly high level words that require more than a few seconds to understand. And there is no one, not even you, that subconsciously uses words nobody has heard of on a consistent basis.

Koroviev

Oct 3, 2010
cookyy2k said:
Matthew94 said:
ItsAChiaotzu said:
Yeah, I +1 this.

True. However, the purpose of language is to convey meaning. One who constantly talks over others despite their lack of understanding is either self-righteous or oblivious to his or her audience.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
You can't expect your colleagues to change their minds, unfortunately. We're practically breast-fed with the idea that wordy types are automatically blowhards or pretentious members of academia, and it doesn't help that popular culture reinforces that impression. Common examples involve the Kingpin from Spider-Man, Mammoth Mogul from the various Archie Sonic runs, virtually every animated role Tony Jay's ever had, Darth Vader, etc.

Being verbose is a wonderful asset in some circumstances. It's saved my life countless times in university halls, but the very same teachers who lauded me for the quality of my vocabulary also hammered in one simple rule I've tried to take to heart as earnestly as possible.

It's the K.I.S.S. rule. Keep It Simple, Stupid. Be as verbose as you can, dig inside that mental thesaurus as much as you'd like; but remember things like time constraints and short attention spans. We live in a world and society where people want their information NOW, not in thirty seconds, when you'll be done pushing out the last segment of your latest mass of semicolons.

You're lucky, OP. You've obviously hit a string of people who didn't mind deciphering your post, and figuring out just what you wanted to get off your chest. You're also lucky that I, as a second-language English speaker, have a sufficient grasp on the language to have been able to follow along. Just remember that you won't always have that luck, and that on some occasions, saying something like this...

"My coworkers are getting annoyed at how verbose I am. I just don't know if it's wrong of me to put more effort into expressing myself or if it's their problem if they're not as well read."

...in no way reduces you. That was clear, concise, and it didn't exactly make me sound like a chatspeak-using mindless drone. It also unearths the fundamental problem with that attitude, which is to say that being of a superior level of verbal agility might be commendable, but boasting about it isn't.

Just remember this: people who talk like I'm typing now aren't morons. Sinking to our level, so to speak, won't kill you at all. It won't even diminish the quality of your lexicon. You'll just realize that there's a time and a place for more precious arrangements.