I used to be so cringe worthy..

spooky57571

Nov 27, 2010
Decided to log into my account for the first time in a while and I'm, to be perfectly honest, a bit embarrassed by what I've found.

Rereading some of my old posts has been incredibly, not to mention eye-rollingly, hard to not face-palm repeatedly over some of my old opinions and ideas.

Seeing as the internet is an encyclopedia made by each and every one of us, what's something old and embarrassing that you've come across years later?

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
I'm embarrassed my a lot of things past me has done.

Even now, I'm probably making a post that Future Me will find cringey.

I'm a terribly lame person.

False Messiah

Afflicted with DDDS
Jan 29, 2009
Colour Scientist said:
I'm embarrassed my a lot of things past me has done.

I'm a terribly lame person.
In a few years you'll read your post again and think " I KNEW! WHY DIDN'T I CHANGE IF I KNEW?! ;_; "

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
Before university I was extremely awkward. My art skills weren't as great, my grasp on gender and social interaction were limited, I wasn't exactly popular and I was pretty naive.

Now I'd like to think that I'm a lot better overall, but when I get reminded of my past self... euurgghh...

No specific examples but you know the stereotypical Deviantart anime artist? Yeah. I was that.
Also I came across my old last.fm and it reads like a playlist for shitty AMVs.

Colour Scientist said:
Maybe Future You will do something that Present You will find cringey.

It's so weird how people change so much over the years.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Yeah I'm pretty ashamed about some of the hateful things I said in the past.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
I went through a Christian Fundamentalist phase from around 15-17. The less said about that time the better.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
I've always had trouble dealing with my past self. Way back in middle school, I had a classmate who was basically me from a year earlier. Every school day I hoped he wouldn't show up.

Later, in college, I had a roommate who also reminded me of myself from the recent past. I slept in the basement and stayed over at friends' places to avoid being around him as much as possible.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
I had a DeviantArt account with really bad art on it. I drew a Hot Pocket once. But at least it was a damn good Hot Pocket.

I look back at some of my old music favorites in Youtube and see how focused my tastes were on contemporary radio rock. Makes me cringe just a bit.

I've had pretty much the same attitude on Internet interaction for years now, so I usually don't end up finding much that I said in the past cringe-worthy later. It does happen very infrequently, I suppose.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
I had a very brief hip-hop phase when I was 15. Both it and I were ridiculous.

I had a cringeworthy DeviantArt profile and a cringeworthy blog, both mercifully dead and gone.

I think my minor offenses in furfaggotry might have innoculated me somewhat, though. Once you see exactly how deep the cringehole goes, you become more careful. A 'This could be YOU'-experience or two in life can be very healthy.

But with all that said and done, I think it's all a part of your maturation process. You try out different hats, different ways to look at the world, and since you're young, inexperienced and high on life, you overdo it. Eventually, reality catches up and you pack the worst of it in, while retaining the bits of it that enriched you and your life.

MysticSlayer said:
I went through a Christian Fundamentalist phase from around 15-17. The less said about that time the better.
I was a proto-Euphoric for a brief while, myself. You were not alone, if it is any comfort. Dabbled in high school-type anarchy, as if that wasn't enough. Oh, boy...

Prime_Hunter_H01

Dec 20, 2011
When a user made a thread about nostalgic posts I was thinking about if I had any, Then I remembered I used to visit the Religion and Politics section when I first joined the site, so no I don't really want to revisit that, also I basically had a switch turn in me once I graduated highschool that turned me from naively enthusiastic about anything politics related, to being completely depressed by anything politics related, I remember what I used to think and wonder how the hell I could have been so stupid for what I used to think.

San Martin

Jun 21, 2013
MysticSlayer said:
Me too! Were you served heavily watered-down orange squash after each service?

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
I used to go on Habbo Hotel a lot....

Uuuuuurgh....

I even spent real life money on it. I once got into trouble because my parents noticed it on the phone bill.

thoughtwrangler

Sep 29, 2014
I once went across my old Livejournal page.

I'm not sure which was more sore, my face or my palm. Possibly my face because I think the cringing grimace was frozen on it for at least two days. That could just be the concussion talking.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
I still have vauge recollections about what i used to post on the RuneScape forums over 10 years ago.

You thought people shitposted on twitter? Nothing compared to those days.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
San Martin said:
MysticSlayer said:
Me too! Were you served heavily watered-down orange squash after each service?
The church I went to actually had a decent brunch. I worked in the kitchen for a little bit, and they actually made proper food that rivaled some of the best breakfast places I've been to. In fact, it probably earned more money from brunch than from the tithes, not because people didn't tithe, but because so many people wanted to eat brunch after the service.

The thing is, my church at the time actually wasn't Fundamentalist. Most of that came from my family, schooling, and TV. My church, however, was about as laid back as a church can be (at least on doctrine), and that probably helped in me moving away from Fundamentalism without completely rejecting religion.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I will sometimes thing about conversations I've had a week ago and cringe. Hindsight is 20/20 and all that jazz. I can hold a conversation, but some of the shit that escapes... *shudders* Just makes me want to hide under the covers.

And don't even get me started on the old me. Like teenage me. He can go die in a hole for all I care.

PromethianSpark

Mar 27, 2011
I tend to only post when I get drunk, so usually it is a bit cringey. But the way I see it, several times a week I cringe, or at worst my skin crawls due to some vivid memory of RL,so why stress over your internet presence.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
Don't worry, I remember that one of my first conversations on the Escapist was me arguing that even if zombies aren't real, we should talk about them as if they are and in a scientific manner.

Captcha: Reduplicated phrases.

I'm sure I've had a lot of those too.