I want a challenge from boss battles in current games.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
Abandon4093 said:
2 words.

Demon's souls!

Buy it, play it, love it, hate it, marry it, burn it and buy it again!
yep. the first proper boss (phalanx) is easy if you got enough turpentine and firebombs, but Tower Night is insanely hard.

Magus44

Aug 26, 2008
I'm just going to throw out Shadow of the Colossus. Technically 16 Boss battles, with a huge overworld filled with beautiful scenery. They all have their own ways to be beaten, and each one feels somewhat different.
Maybe wait till its released with ICO.

Eventidal

Nov 11, 2009
Monster Hunter.

The entire game is pretty much boss fights. There are few fights more satisfying than many of the ones in MH. Every victory feels great. You just have to deal with a long and slow intro. (trust me, you'll appreciate the game teaching you how to gather herbs, craft potions, carve your kills, take down small game, capture monsters, etc later on.) The game isn't a big badass monster killing simulator. There's a lot of strategy and preparation in there, and if you're a hunter who actually hunts (rather than straight-up fighting) you will find yourself doing a lot better.

MH Tri is a great starting point and a great game overall, if you have a Wii. It's one of the big must-haves of the platform and the online is great, too.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Try playing Human Revolution without buying EMP shielding. The second boss will fuck you up.

RedHighwind07

Aug 11, 2011
KnightOfHearts said:
Dissidia can be kind of challenging... not really... sometimes... it's worth a look
I've been playing Dissidia but I can beat all the optional gateways and stuff anyway, tbh I didn't find it that challenging. As for the rest, they're great suggestions, think I might get Ninja Gaiden from what a lot of people are saying.

Mafoobula

Sep 30, 2009
Agreed, really. I find a lot of boss fights boil down to one of two strategies: hit the boss with everything you have (RPGs, FPSs, action games in general), or waiting for/making the giant "fuck me" light to appear and hit THAT with everything you have (Zelda is one of the biggest offenders I can think of for this one).

And yet, it's pretty easy to think of some truly awesome and/or creative boss battles from recent games.

Starcraft 2. The closest thing to a "boss fight" in that game would be the last few missions of the campaign, and ye flipping gods, those are some epic missions. Speaking purely from the standpoint of boss fights being like final exams, the final mission is just that. Even on normal mode, it tests all your skills that you've (hopefully) honed through the course of the game. I found my heart was thumping in ways I hadn't felt in a very long while, and when I succeeded, it felt like a genuine accomplishment.

World of Warcraft. Anyone who plays the game will tell you that the boss fights, especially the raids, are no joke. Until you start overgearing the regular stuff. Then the boss fights become tedious or a fun romp, depending on your attitude. Personally, I tend towards the "fun romp" mentality, and even make it a challenge to see how fast I can nuke a boss.

Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story. Even when you learn when to press A to not die, it doesn't take very much for your rhythm to become completely messed up, making you concentrate and curse when you get hit even once.

Pokemon. Yes, sometimes it's a matter of luck. I don't care. It's Pokemon, and there's always at least a couple battles in every generation that will have you cursing the great cosmic forces. And then you have to try to catch the legendaries, no small feat.

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
Bayonetta.

The boss fights are everything you could ask for and more. Bosses vary wildly with insane over-the-top style and strategy.

World of Warcraft. Anyone who plays the game will tell you that the boss fights, especially the raids, are no joke. Until you start overgearing the regular stuff. Then the boss fights become tedious or a fun romp, depending on your attitude. Personally, I tend towards the "fun romp" mentality, and even make it a challenge to see how fast I can nuke a boss.
Also that. It's more of a cooperative effort, so it's not like a single player game where you can leisurely pop on, and it depends on the others in the raid doing their part. But let no one say that the bosses of WoW aren't challenging. Heroic mode raids put the skills of even the best players in the world to the test.

Cogwheel

Apr 3, 2010
Well, Etrian Odyssey is fairly good for boss fights. You know what else is, though?

Touhou, on higher difficulties. Pretty great.

So are the spinoff fighting games, as seen below.

Boss is the one with the dolls, as you may have guessed.

HeartBat

Sep 7, 2011
I didn't like the boss fights from MGS1 because of the gimmicks, its not about your skill its about knowing what cheap trick you need to do in order to beat them. Tank? "hey snake why don't you nade spam that big idiot" "oh and crawl so you get mines".

God Hand and Devil May Cry had some intense boss fights.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
If you just want hard boss battles, you can't go wrong with a good bit of bullet hell. Give something like Mountain of Faith a shot.

Edit: Somebody else also recommended Touhou already, but still. If nothing else at all, the bosses in that actually make you feel like you've fought something more than an enemy with a visible (and much longer) life meter.

T_love

Mar 5, 2011
FRONT MISSION EVOLVED - where enemies are weaklings, bosses single hit kill you on easy and there is even a mission where you fight four bosses at once.

C-Phoenyx

Sep 8, 2011
I was actually suprised at the boss battles in Batman: Arkham Asylum. Poison Ivy and Bane battles comes to mind as being quite good.

Purplecoyote

Feb 10, 2010
Shadow Of The Colossus, the game doesn't even have any other enemies, it's just 16 bosses you have to find with nothing in between, it's amazing and so much fun.

Each colossus has a different tactic for even getting close enough to their damn weak spots.

Avalanche91

Jan 8, 2009
No More Heroes. 1 or 2

In both cases the bosses are hilarious and insane, with some of them being incredibly difficult to beat.