I want a challenge from boss battles in current games.

Dr Jones

Join the Bob Dylan Fangroup!
Jun 23, 2010
GenericPCUser said:
Mount and Blade: Warband.

Start game, max difficulty, realism mode. Every fight is a boss battle, every loss is soul crushing.
+1

Really just put the difficulty on "XTREEEEEEME", and you'll get boss battles that are hard. (Just on a side note, le Deus Ex bosses annoyed me so much that i took it on the easiest difficulty just to get past em).

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
kman123 said:
Ninja Gaiden 2 bosses are pretty hard. Like...pretty...hard.
You forget normal monsters are like mini-bosses, and a boss can appear as mini-boss two hours into game later. There's an achievement for dying 100 times...

OT: Megaman Zero 1, 2, 3 on GBA, Megaman Battle Network 1 and 3, bonus bosses in Shin Megami games (and some normal ones - still have nightmares after the bird duo from Digital Devil 1).

RaikuFA said:
shin megami tensei games

devil survivor and strange journey have bosses that just go "bend over, cause itll hurt worse otherwise" devil survivor is worse. the first boss? only the main character can hurt him and if you dont make him a physical build youre screwed and if he dies? automatic game over, even if you have a revive spell
Ah yes, Bel. But I think the attack MC uses against him is level-reliant, not Stat-reliant. I made a pure magic guy and dealt a lot of damage late-game (second time you fight him) with no physical on myself.

But Belial, holy shit...

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
That's why I enjoy playing RPGs because most bosses have some sort of buff or cause your party a debuff that makes the fight more complex and difficult, regardless of level, equipment, abilities, or skills. This makes you think about the battle ahead and prepare for it appropriately rather than wasting your time level grinding so that your party causes a huge chunk of damage before the boss has a chance to kill you off.

The best thing about these fights is that once you are victorious, you learn some techniques from the boss that you may not have thought of yourself and you can implement them on another fight.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Jennacide said:
FalloutJack said:
Jennacide said:
>emerald weapon
>grinding
Teehee. You're doing it wrong. :p
Actually, it's not the grind that is wrong. It's bothering much with the materia. You DO need to be some high of levels in order to survive the attacks Emerald throws at you, or you can just forget the whole thing. The thing is that messing with the materia is the trap. Go in with very little of it and you stand a better chance. And incidentally, I DID beat the bugger, so I kinda' know of what I speak.
You only need to survive a single attack before you go into auto-murder mode. Equip everyone with Counter+Mime (which you won't need to grind for, they master very easily) and start the fight with W-Summon KOTR. Then stand there and let her stomp you once, ta-dah, you now have 6 recasts of KOTR queued up, which she won't survive. Walk away from your console for about 15min, as it takes a while.

If there is any grinding, it's doing the goofy chocobo breeding to get KOTR.
Actually, the way I handled it was even simpler than that. See, I wouldn't want to walk away because anything could happen. I used mime to mimic something more fun: Limit Breaks. And by the time you hit Emerald Weapon, it's almost guaranteed you have good ones because you had to progress through the game that far. In short, at the cost of no more grind than you would to get as far as you did in the game, you carry even LESS materia and play a fun little defensive game where Emerald gets smacked harder than it delivered.

And Ruby! That's a fun time. It can be paralyzed!

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Abedeus said:
kman123 said:
You forget normal monsters are like mini-bosses, and a boss can appear as mini-boss two hours into game later. There's an achievement for dying 100 times...

OT: Megaman Zero 1, 2, 3 on GBA, Megaman Battle Network 1 and 3, bonus bosses in Shin Megami games (and some normal ones - still have nightmares after the bird duo from Digital Devil 1).

RaikuFA said:
shin megami tensei games

devil survivor and strange journey have bosses that just go "bend over, cause itll hurt worse otherwise" devil survivor is worse. the first boss? only the main character can hurt him and if you dont make him a physical build youre screwed and if he dies? automatic game over, even if you have a revive spell
Ah yes, Bel. But I think the attack MC uses against him is level-reliant, not Stat-reliant. I made a pure magic guy and dealt a lot of damage late-game (second time you fight him) with no physical on myself.

But Belial, holy shit...
belials easy, just have midori with you with ice dance and null fire, he goes down faster that a 12 year old girl on justin beiber

RedHighwind07

Aug 11, 2011
Jennacide said:
FalloutJack said:
Jennacide said:
>emerald weapon
>grinding
Teehee. You're doing it wrong. :p
Actually, it's not the grind that is wrong. It's bothering much with the materia. You DO need to be some high of levels in order to survive the attacks Emerald throws at you, or you can just forget the whole thing. The thing is that messing with the materia is the trap. Go in with very little of it and you stand a better chance. And incidentally, I DID beat the bugger, so I kinda' know of what I speak.
You only need to survive a single attack before you go into auto-murder mode. Equip everyone with Counter+Mime (which you won't need to grind for, they master very easily) and start the fight with W-Summon KOTR. Then stand there and let her stomp you once, ta-dah, you now have 6 recasts of KOTR queued up, which she won't survive. Walk away from your console for about 15min, as it takes a while.

If there is any grinding, it's doing the goofy chocobo breeding to get KOTR.
I don't really use KOTR, it feels kind of cheap. I mostly use Omni-Slash Ungermax and Final Attack materia with Phoenix to stay alive. It's pretty damn hard but possible

band43seat

Mar 13, 2010
the god of war and kingdom hearts series have had some decent boss battle, but if your bitching that u want more boss battles, just go play shadow of the colossus, if u find a character to fight that isnt a boss, your playing the wrong game

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
RaikuFA said:
Abedeus said:
kman123 said:

RaikuFA said:
shin megami tensei games

But Belial, holy shit...
belials easy, just have midori with you with ice dance and null fire, he goes down faster that a 12 year old girl on justin beiber
Problem was that I didn't have null fire ;p

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
The God of War games always had fun boss battles. It didn't really have gimmicky type things, but they were interesting and really fun to do. Especially Cronos, that was awesome! And the final phase of the Poseidon battle and, oh I could go on...

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
I'm willing to bet The Last Guardian will have some pretty good boss battles :p

Hamish Durie

Apr 30, 2011
sravankb said:
Hamish Durie said:
sravankb said:
Monster Hunter.

Hands-down, the best game for boss battles. This isn't just a fanboy speaking here, it's the shared opinion of an overwhelming majority of the players who've played the series.
speaking as some1 who doesnt really love monster hunter shes right the boss battles are pretty good
I'm a dude. No matter, though. I can see that the avatar might have confused you.
sorry spelling error was typing fast and i didnt notice sorry

KnightOfHearts

May 24, 2011
Ninja Gaiden is one of my favorite games of all time
If your looking into getting then definately go for the ps3 versions
Unless your a gore junky the Ps3 games were far superior to their xbox counterparts.

The original dissidia could be quite a pest at times due to the fact that it took so long to unlock decent equipment which could deal a grand total of 'shit all' damage whilst your opponent could break you in one combo.
The new one was pretty easy say for the ridiculously high level desperado chaos... that took me a couple of days :(.

Thought of another game
Ototgi
Very epic with excellent bosses