i want fallout 5 to be in russia

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
The next Fallout game should be set on a secret American moon base on the moon. The American asrtomen can then watch from there as the whole world is slowly lit up in nuclear fire and know that they are getting no more supplies. They slowly turn on each other as supplies run low, providing a crafting/scavenging sort of game play as you must murder your way through your fellow astromen in an attempt to survive.

Eventually an explosion goes off and attracts the attention of a flying saucer which then starts dropping aliens into the moon base. After fighting your way through them you discover the explosion was caused by a dirty Chinese communist spy. After defeating him then you can take the flying saucer down to the planet, where you can investigate the ruins of America in the sequel.

Redvenge

Oct 14, 2014
sagitel said:
i didnt know that. and did china fire the nukes too?
The fired some nukes. You encounter nuclear missile subs in a couple of the games, some references to crashed bombers, things like that.

So many countries were really upset that the US was hogging the last of the oil that it is plausible (from the setting perspective) that everyone that could nuke the US, did just that. How many countries were involved in the "end of everything" is rather sketchy.

Sonmi

Renowned Latin Lover
Jan 30, 2009
Heh, too much of Fallout's identity resides in being mock Americana, so I really think Russia wouldn't work as a setting. The most "exotic" Fallout could conceivably go in my humble opinion is Canada, which is already part of the lore as conquered by the American people for their resources and were the first hit by the Chinese after Anchorage. (And right there you easily have three different factions in the American occupiers, the Chinese invaders, and the Canadian resistance)

Being set in Canada could allow them to keep the Americana influence while still showing how a different "nation" copes with the disaster.

Second country other than the US that's most likely to appear in Fallout would be Mexico, again due to proximity, lore significance, and the cultural resemblances.

Rabish Bini said:
I don't care where it's set, so long as it's made by Obsidian.
Amen.

The Heik

King of the Nael
Oct 12, 2008
Sonmi said:
Heh, too much of Fallout's identity resides in being mock Americana, so I really think Russia wouldn't work as a setting. The most "exotic" Fallout could conceivably go in my humble opinion is Canada, which is already part of the lore as conquered by the American people for their resources and were the first hit by the Chinese after Anchorage. (And right there you easily have three different factions in the American occupiers, the Chinese invaders, and the Canadian resistance)

Being set in Canada could allow them to keep the Americana influence while still showing how a different "nation" copes with the disaster.
This.

Ever since it was mentioned in the Pitt, I've been itching to see a Fallout game set in or near Ronto. It's been stated as one of the local military powers, and the east-coast Fallout stories have been steadily creeping north with each release, so it'd seem to be a thematic next step for the series. Still close enough to keep to the old fallout style, but new enough that the devs could play around with the setting a bit.

Also mutated Canada Geese

sagitel

Feb 25, 2012
Benpasko said:
Okay, but only if the next STALKER game is set in California.
Yeah really. STALKER is synonymous with the motherland. Would just be odd if Fallout tried to "me too" it.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
The Metro series IS Fallout for Russia. The technology is the only thing that really doesn't make the two worlds compatible.

And as some of you know a new Metro game was already announced. There's your Fallout 5: Moscow.

Aug 31, 2012
I would quite like a Fallout game set in a slightly comedic parody of Communist Russia. It's a fictional setting, it's not hard to come up with some more bullshit to explain why the fictional bullshit you've just written doesn't quite conform to the previous fictional bullshit. No way it's going to happen, but it'd be nice.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
I'd like to see Fallout shift stages, but as others rather astutely point out...too much change and it loses a lot of what makes it a Fallout game. That's good, to some degree (the formula is rapidly becoming stale) and also bad (it's still a cherished/powerhouse IP).

Russia has STALKER and Metro, China is too big a cultural departure (as with other countries from that region such as Japan or India). Your best bets would be Canada or Great Britain.

And for pity's sake..no more Super Mutants, or Radscorpions, or Deathclaws. Come up with some new factions, some new wildlife, some new conventions. Move away from the same Vaults and Ghouls and Raiders in every bloody installment. Get some exploration and surprise and actual world building back into your RPG series.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I don't care where it's set as long as Bethesda doesn't get to make it. Give it to Obsidian and go work on The Elder Scrolls. Or better yet, give TES to Obsidian as well. I'd like to see what they can do with it.

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
I'd like to see them move to Alaska, maybe. Then you could work Russia in by sailing over the Bering Strait. (How weird would that be? Mutant whales? Rad-kraken?)

Could even make it a nautical sandbox like Black Flag. That'd be neat. No idea how the scale would look, though - that whole area of the world is extremely lightly populated. Maybe do it like the Witcher did with Skellige.

Actually, if I remember correctly the Fallout U.S.A annexed Canada, so there could be something to work with there. But a full-on nuclear winter wonderland would be something new for the series, after multiple installments of radioactive desert.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
Guilion said:
Yeah? Well I would like the next game to be in the commonwealth, the REAL commonwealth, the one that has been part of the game's lore since the first fallout and not the bullshit replacement that bethesda came up with in the last game. But alas that's not happening, there's still 46 (47?) states in the USA to go and explore.
I can picture it now... Fallout 42: Oklahoman wastes... With the Trail of Tears tribal DLC : /

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
I still think Florida is a great spot to use. If they went by the original lore, then it'd be a lush yet irradiated jungle growth-type wasteland, a change of scenery. Plus I would love to see the Orlando/Disney Fallout analog. Overgrown theme park overrun by ghouls and mutant gators.
Apparently there was a spinoff game to Wasteland called "Fountain of Dreams" set in Florida and with some of those things. You were apparently looking for the foutain of youth to keep yourself from mutating from the high rad levels.

However, I never played it and what I did hear about it wasn't encouraging. Finding a legal copy would probably be very difficult if you really wanted to play it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fountain_of_Dreams

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
Guilion said:
MHR said:
Guilion said:
Yeah? Well I would like the next game to be in the commonwealth, the REAL commonwealth, the one that has been part of the game's lore since the first fallout and not the bullshit replacement that bethesda came up with in the last game. But alas that's not happening, there's still 46 (47?) states in the USA to go and explore.
I can picture it now... Fallout 42: Oklahoman wastes... With the Trail of Tears tribal DLC : /
Personally I was picturing a New York with the twin towers intact, that would be hillarious.
Wait a min... That would be kinda cool. If you can make up some reason why there would be bad guys on ever damn floor, you could make the towers like a pit of 100 trials. Maybe with some open-air sections where enemies could be shooting at you from the other tower. You could also use science/repair to get the elevator working part-way and skip a lot of stuff.

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
MHR said:
Guilion said:
Personally I was picturing a New York with the twin towers intact, that would be hillarious.
Wait a min... That would be kinda cool. If you can make up some reason why there would be bad guys on ever damn floor, you could make the towers like a pit of 100 trials. Maybe with some open-air sections where enemies could be shooting at you from the other tower. You could also use science/repair to get the elevator working part-way and skip a lot of stuff.
People would probably say you're being insensitive. As if killing Super Mutants in the WTC is any more disrespectful than killing slavers in front of the Lincoln Memorial.

darkcalling

Sep 29, 2011
Russia no. China, maybe. Pretty sure it's supposed to be in relatively good shape,(around the same level of civilization as the US) but not in a main numbered entry. If they were gonna do it, it'd be in a side story like New Vegas I think.

I doubt it'll ever happen since the 50's Americana gone wrong is such a big part of the franchise but I wouldn't necessarily say no to a change in scenery.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
bastardofmelbourne said:
I'd like to see them move to Alaska, maybe. Then you could work Russia in by sailing over the Bering Strait. (How weird would that be? Mutant whales? Rad-kraken?)

Could even make it a nautical sandbox like Black Flag. That'd be neat. No idea how the scale would look, though - that whole area of the world is extremely lightly populated. Maybe do it like the Witcher did with Skellige.

Actually, if I remember correctly the Fallout U.S.A annexed Canada, so there could be something to work with there. But a full-on nuclear winter wonderland would be something new for the series, after multiple installments of radioactive desert.
possiblymain area being new york city, dlc in toronto, actually an area right on the border.. like upstate NY with niagara falls..

i do like the alaska idea however.. i can see it now.. the deadliest mirelurk catch!
you could possibly show the after effects and fight chinese ghouls in anchorage. they did show they can go there in operation anchorage

one thing fallout these days needs is a large urban area to work around

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
WolfThomas said:
I want Fallout 5 to actually take place in the advanced new society of the West coast. I'm sick of freshly stocked untouched by scavenger pre-war ruins and people wearing old-world rags TWO HUNDRED YEARS after the event. I want the modern society of the NCR, New Arroyo, San Francisco, Vault City etc. The politics of a new world.

Then you can still have the rougher stuff on the fringes of society.
That's a good point. I'd also like to see more diverse scenery. Bathesda's Fallout games basically have the same stock locations: urban ruins, dust bowl, prefab building interior, prefab subway interior. And then in the DLC, they give you bright new locations that look completely different (swampland, snow, space etc.). Why not get all of that into one game, instead of making a giant expansive map of sameness?

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Doesn't really work. Most of the character of Fallout comes from some sort of perverted 50s Americana. As others have said, to have it set somewhere else would be like having a STALKER game set outside of Eastern Europe, or a Yakuza game not set in Japan.