I want to believe...

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
DrunkOnEstus said:
I can't believe anything if it hasn't been repeated in a controlled environment or there's no data to support it. This has pretty much fucked up my life and makes music and poetry incredibly difficult. I can't apply abstract concepts like "fate","destiny", or "the power of love" without feeling either ridiculous or disingenuous. It was a lot different in my adolescence, and I envy those who still look at life and the world with a sense of wonder and eagerness to approach the unknown without looking for irrefutable answers.
I seem to be like this too. I can't really believe in anything as everything optimistic that has been spoon-fed to me is immediately shot down by my cynicism and doubt. I've lost track of how many times I've utterly destroyed any semblance of an argument based on no hard facts.

So that's why I'm unusually cynical around people out here; I think I'm rational in a place where people are overly idealist.

OP, thank yourself for bolstering my daily dose of cynicism by assuring that I'm the only person in my age group (in my area, a good amount of teenagers are idiots; this extends to the adults sometimes) who believes the world doesn't revolve around me at times. Welcome to the US. A good number of us are retarded. You will find knowledgeable people, but be prepared to look really, really hard for them.

launchpadmcqwak

Dec 6, 2011
Redlin5 said:
I believe in ghosts to a small extent. When I was a kid a door opened and closed in front of me once while I was alone in a 170 year old building. No wind. Alone.
I'm not starting shit here, but like when wierd stuff like this happens people always jump to ghosts...out of every possible phenomena in the universe that could cause something like that to happen...just had to get that off my chest.

Crenelate

May 27, 2010
I used to be really into ghosts and cryptozoology and stuff when I was a kid but I don't think I ever really believed any of it. My dad's very skeptical so I think I always had an upbringing of critical consideration. Don't believe anything without a good reason, and extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof!

I always find personal accounts of ghosts very interesting. My housemates were once sharing stories of odd things that happened to them, including one about their TV turning on to their late grandfather's favourite show. A few weeks later, another housemate retold the story, forgetting I had been in the kitchen at the time, and it had all sorts of embellishments (unintentional, I'm sure). There have been plenty of studies done on how easily persuaded human memory is so I have a hard time believing in a lot of first hand accounts of spooky goings on.

Even if doors do close or lights do go off etc, why think it's a ghost? It's more likely to be demons.

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
I believe that there is no point in living. I just live because I am alive, not because I have a goal.

Also, pyramids were built by aliens.

VeneratedWulfen93

Oct 3, 2011
I believe in fate. That our lives work to a thread of events laid out before us. Not like a single thread but multiple that spit off into differant directions as we take differant choices.

I also beleive that the universe is simply too big and that humanity will never understand it.
I believe in deity, not one in particular but the idea of one. It could be God, Cthulu or whatever I believe a higher being exists somewhere.

Finally, I believe in the spirit or soul.

Evidence to me has never meant as much to me as others. With my crazy detachment from reality and abstract way of thinking about things that operate above my life, I like to retain the idea that there is still mystery in the world.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
I don't believe in anything out of the ordinary really. Everything supernatural likely has a scientific explanation behind it - I.E; a fluttering lampshade may be moving because of the hot air coming from the heater beneath it rising up through the cold air surrounding it - and if no reason can be found I remain agnostic towards it, believing in the fact that no explanation has been found, supernatural or scientific, as of that time, and hope an explanation is revealed soon.
I'm a very normal person in that regard. If there's no evidence, I'm not going to believe it, and vague evidence that only proves something is happening, not why it is happening, won't get me to believe in it either.

Aug 1, 2010
aceman67 said:
I believe that Half Life 3 will get released in the next few years.
This thread has religion, bigfoot and delusions of ghosts and you're the craziest son of a ***** yet.

OT:
I generally don't believe in things that are without actual evidence, but I suppose my one indulgence is the idea of the nervous system being interconnected. Reflexology, Acupuncture, that kind of thing. I've had good results and the human nervous system is so absurdly complex, I don't think we can really test it just yet.

Phuctifyno

Jul 6, 2010
Arakasi said:
I have nothing that I believe in that isn't supported by facts and/or logic.
Although I still find that I am in the minority when it comes to not believing in 'free will'.
That's funny; I don't know where the majority lies, but I was going to submit 'free will' as mine.

Last time I argued about it with someone, I stripped naked to prove the point. We were not drunk and we were not alone. Next time you're out for a walk, and you need to turn right, turn left instead. Go ahead. You can do it.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
That democracy will ultimately fail us and prove to be just as terrible, if not more so, than any previous government system.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
I wouldn't classify this a "belief" because I'm fairly certain it's not actually true, put I have been pondering lately the idea behind quantum immortality: that since I've now come into existence and am aware of it, it's impossible for me to experience nonexistence again (death), no matter how low the probability of my survival is. For every reality where I could have died, there will always be one where I didn't, and that's the only one that I'll ever be aware of. Again, I'm pretty sure it's bogus, but it's something to think about, for sure.

I also absolutely do not believe in the idea of a future nuclear apocalypse. It's never going to happen. Isolated nuclear incidents MIGHT happen, but all out nuclear annihilation is impossible. I don't even fathom how people still think it's a possibility, let alone inevitable. The only countries that could pull it off are Russia and the US, and they aren't run by crazy idiots. Even crazy idiots wouldn't condemn the world to radioactive/fiery doom over petty wars. Hell, at this point I'd almost feel completely safe guaranteeing that no country will ever use a nuclear weapon in an attack on any other country, but then North Korea keeps me from going quite THAT far. But even they must realize that a nuclear attack is suicide, right?

Epic Bear Man

Feb 5, 2013
aceman67 said:
I believe that Half Life 3 will get released in the next few years.
Oh how I wish I could be as optimistic as you. Cherish your innocence. Cherish it!

j/k But I do hope it comes out soon as well.

Sordin

Aug 5, 2011
I believe that everything in the universe creates infinite parallels of all possibilities. I'm not even entirely sure why I believe in it but it just seems to make sense to me.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
Arakasi said:
Although I still find that I am in the minority when it comes to not believing in 'free will'.
Determinist here too. I just never talk about it because i realized the human psyche is the most amazing free will simulator in a determinist universe. The only way to retain sanity is to just act like you have free will since our entire consciousness is designed around the elaborate ruse. Life is easier if you just play along.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
I believe that (most) every human, deep down inside, is good. Its just that a a single bad apple can contaminate the bunch.

Also: aliens. If not this universe, than another. Also, if humans were, for some weird near inconceivable reason, the first species of sentient life to reach outer space, I would laugh my ass off.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Nothing really. Bigfoot might exist and it might have existed and gone extinct since primates have their origin in North America and there might have been a creature such as some people believe exists there, but such a big creature would have been discovered by now so it's doubtful.

I don't believe we've been visited by aliens since that is too far fetched and there would be more signs than nutcases. There might be intelligent life out there, but I wouldn't say it's certain.

Ix Rebound

Jan 10, 2012
that there is a heaven

not in any religious sense, i mean that everyone has a PERSONAL heaven
so that when you die your consciousness gets taken into a sort of lucid dreaming state where anything is possible and you control everything. you would never get bored!

and that you can talk to and hang out with your friends consciousness and do fun shit together!

Russian_Assassin

Apr 24, 2008
I believe that the New World Order is coming quite soon. I only heard about what it is a year ago and I can certainly say that the world events that I have been witnessing as well as observing how our global systems function, coupled with the fact that no one can put two and two together anymore without relying on some protocol, be it religion or science or whatever. It is also very amusing how almost everyone is fanatically devoted to television.

In all honesty, I feel like my reality is slowly shifting into one where everyone is more or less a bipolar AI. and it is very lonely...

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
Phuctifyno said:
Arakasi said:
That's funny; I don't know where the majority lies, but I was going to submit 'free will' as mine.

Last time I argued about it with someone, I stripped naked to prove the point. We were not drunk and we were not alone. Next time you're out for a walk, and you need to turn right, turn left instead. Go ahead. You can do it.
All that proves is how far you're willing to go to make a point.
And not a very good one at that.