I want to eat Master Chief.

FactualSquirrel

Dec 10, 2009
BlindMessiah94 said:
Oh no, not completely. I agree that games with bad whiney characters don't make for good story, but there are a lot of bad games out there that do have whiney characters regardless.
Ahh, ok, thanks for explaining that, I was confused...
Sleekgiant said:
factualsquirrel said:
Urrrm, I'm confused, what am I supposed to be answering?

Ah well, in response to the first paragraph, it's a power fantasy, if the hero was a whiny dick, yet still managed to save everything, it wouldn't make any sense now, would it?
For Example: Haze
Yep, that's sort of what I'm trying to get at, although there are better examples.

lodo_bear

Nov 15, 2009
I, for one, would like more games where I get to play as the hideous alien and slaughter puny humans. I want to be the extraterrestrial monster with facial tentacles and techno-organic death rays and a thirst for the blood of homo sapiens! Satisfy me, video games industry, or else I will command my fleshy minions from outer space to drain your bone marrow!

Anyhow, I find that there is one thing missing in all these grizzled video-game space marines that is present in all the best space cowboys: snark. Consider the characters of James Kirk, Han Solo, and Mal Reynolds (the Triumvirate of Captain Tightpants). They're rough, tough, and they fear no danger, but they're also very witty. They've got swagger, they're as quick with a one-liner as they are with their pistols, they never let themselves get bogged down with angst, and they can be quite charming and even gentle when the occasion calls for it. Does Master Chief do these things? Do any space marines do these things?

I'mANinja

Aug 4, 2008
Universe At War if you play Hierarchy, or the bad guys on Maelstrom.

Warhammer 40k Marines, and Starship Troopers are the only good space marines.

Mother Yeti

May 31, 2008
BlindMessiah94 said:
factualsquirrel said:
Urrrm, I'm confused, what am I supposed to be answering?

Ah well, in response to the first paragraph, it's a power fantasy, if the hero was a whiny dick, yet still managed to save everything, it wouldn't make any sense now, would it?
Ever played FFX every Japanese RPG in the history of ever?
Fixed that for you.