I want to go on a lonely adventure into an unknown, interesting world. Any PC recommendations?

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
ninja666 said:
pearcinator said:
Why not play Runescape?

It's free (until you make your account a member), uses up little space, can run on a potato, has a variety of quests, can be played solo (especially if you make an Ironman account). It's very grindy though so that might turn you off of it but by the time you complete all the free quests it would use up some time.
Because it's an MMO, and I don't like MMOs. They all are basically the same - tons of grinding, fetch quests, bland, uninteresting locations, and an evergoing pissing contest over who has the better equipment.
Runescape quests are actually very different to most MMO's. There are very few 'fetch quests' (I can maybe think of 2 or 3 out of 200) and they all have their own stories/quest lines. You won't really see many 'elites' in the free version of the game since the 'best gear' is members only. It has a pretty good community IMO.

ninja666

May 17, 2014
pearcinator said:
Runescape quests are actually very different to most MMO's. There are very few 'fetch quests' (I can maybe think of 2 or 3 out of 200) and they all have their own stories/quest lines. You won't really see many 'elites' in the free version of the game since the 'best gear' is members only. It has a pretty good community IMO.
Well, maybe it has interesting quests, but it doesn't change the fact that it's an MMO, and I hate having other people in my game, and a massive grindfest.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
ninja666 said:
pearcinator said:
Well, maybe it has interesting quests, but it doesn't change the fact that it's an MMO, and I hate having other people in my game, and a massive grindfest.
Can lead a horse to water, but can't make it drink.

Just try it, it can't hurt.

Nidor

Mar 1, 2017
Hmm, I felt that 7 days to die has a nice empty sandbox for exploration and looting, but it is EA and survival which were mentioned as turn offs.

You mentioned liking the Far Cry series, would perhaps the Just Cause series work? In a similar vein, where you could technically explore the entire map, but certain things are gated to story whenever you decide to continue it, perhaps Prototype/Infamous?, Red Faction Armageddon, or Saints Row series could be worth looking into.

Some people would argue that Kingdom's of Amalur : Reckoning, or Dragon Age would count as open world, in that you aren't really required to follow the main quest till you feel like it, so perhaps that is an angle to look into. Kingdoms of Amalur had a vibe like a single player MMO to me though so that might be a turn off.

Hope at least one of those work, they seem to meet the specs according to sys reqs pages, just up to your tastes if they fit.

ninja666

May 17, 2014
Nidor said:
Hmm, I felt that 7 days to die has a nice empty sandbox for exploration and looting, but it is EA and survival which were mentioned as turn offs.
Well, it's not like I'm strictly against survival elements, but they have to be just the way I called them - elements. I don't want a pure survival game because they focus too much on making you find resources to stay alive and improve your home base, with the exploration serving only those purposes and nothing else.

Also, yeah, Early Access is a huge turnoff to me because I really don't like it, when in a sandbox game I see a cool area and decide to go and explore it, only to be stopped by an invisible wall and an immersion-breaking, on-screen message telling me "Nuh-uh, you can't go there in version 0.23729875923857298572395 of the game. Wait for update 0.0394140918401984, which adds the first 1/3 of this area."

Another turn-off I already mentioned in the thread is the zombie apocalypse setting. I just don't like it for some reason. Don't know why, but for me, it only works in dumb, action-packed shooters, like Left 4 Dead.

Nidor said:
You mentioned liking the Far Cry series, would perhaps the Just Cause series work? In a similar vein, where you could technically explore the entire map, but certain things are gated to story whenever you decide to continue it, perhaps Prototype/Infamous?, Red Faction Armageddon, or Saints Row series could be worth looking into.
I'd prefer to avoid more contemporary settings, if possible. That said, I've already played all of those, save for Infamous because it's a PS exclusive.

In general, I'd say they were good for some dumb fun, but they aren't what I'd call an "immersive adventure", since in all of them, apart from wrecking shit up for funzies, and side missions consisting of wrecking even more shit up for funzies, there wasn't really anything to do.

Nidor said:
Some people would argue that Kingdom's of Amalur : Reckoning, or Dragon Age would count as open world, in that you aren't really required to follow the main quest till you feel like it, so perhaps that is an angle to look into. Kingdoms of Amalur had a vibe like a single player MMO to me though so that might be a turn off.
I think I've already talked about KoA and DA:I in this thread, but just in case, I'll say it again. Unfortunately, they feel too much like single player MMOs for me to enjoy them. The world in both of them is bland, and soulless, and side quests have very little variety.

ninja666

May 17, 2014
Sorry for double posting, but it's sort of important. Since I still need some more recommendations, I'm going to loosen up a bit on my strict requirements. Not by much, but definitely enough imo. Since it seems incredibly hard to find games without simple fetch quests as side content, from now on, as long as the game meets the rest of the criteria to a tee (and really I mean it), games with fetch quests are allowed. There are two things, though:

1. The game can't be just fetch quests. It has to have at least a few "story-driven" side quests alongside all this FedEx work. To make it easier for you, though, let's say the ratio of story-driven quests to fetch quests should be, more or less, 3 to 8.
2. The fetch quests must be written in a non-lazy way. What do I mean by that, exactly? A good example of what I want would be side quests from Way of The Samurai 4. This game is riddled with fetch quests, but many of them are written in a way that doesn't feel like the creators didn't give a fuck about anything. Each of those better written ones has a neat little story or reasoning to it, that makes you understand why would a certain character want such things from you. Many of them also have you acquire the items wanted in creative, non-standard ways. Here are some examples:

- A guy who offers you a series of theving missions is an amnesiac, who's trying to recall who he is. Every item he tells you to steal turns out to be connected to his past and helps him recover his memory bit by bit. The ways you have to gain those items include, among other things, pretending to be a bandit and assaulting wandering merchants from a certain merchant guild in order to find ones carrying the items you want, picking them up from a cemetery, where a pack of rabid dogs resides, and fighting a small-time Yakuza boss and his army of goons.
- A simple assassination quest, given to you by a government official, where you have to kill an ex-constable, whose family got murdered, and he might go berserk and start murdering random people out of despair. When you get to him, it turns out his family got murdered by the official's assassins because the constable was against corruption within the magistrate and was about to spill his beans. It's not a quest that turns the tides and has you turn against the magistrate if you want, but is interesting nonetheless due to giving you more insight on who you're working for.
- Another assassination quest. An old man has you kill a certain man and then report back to him when you're done? Why does he want the man dead? Because the man is a child rapist, and the old guy's grandson fell victim to that.

All of those quests are simple in their structure because they're still "bring me this" or "kill this man" ones, but they're 10 times more interesting because of those little backstories you get, instead of the lazy "I want 10 bear pelts because of my personal vendetta against all the bears of Skyrim" (that's an actual quest btw). They don't need to be nearly as dark - actually, I'd appreciate an overall more lighthearted atmosphere way more, but they have to be written in such a way, in order to not make them boring and tedious.

That's as far as I'm willing to tone down my requirements. Should give you some breathing room, I think. Any ideas? Anything?

Zaltys

Apr 26, 2012
No ideas. What you're looking for probably doesn't exist.

3D open world games tend to be bland, and the main exceptions have all been mentioned. And you already stated that isomeric RPGs are out, which is a shame because those had the closest matches.

No point in suggesting something like Renowned Adventurers either, because of the strategy-based battles. And I doubt that you'd be interested in text games such as 80 Days, or the LEGO games; most of the latter aren't open world, anyway.

Danbo Jambo

Sep 26, 2014
Bite the bullet and go isometric with Underrail. Atmospheric as hell, exactly the balance what you are looking for regards story/exploration, and has superb tactical combat.

Also, Risen 2 is brilliant if you enjoy silly humour. It's hard work to play at times, but I personally loved it.