I want to try alcoholism. Where do I start?

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
"Alcoholism" is a disease characterized by dependence on alcohol; you don't "want to try it." You want to try alcohol you can recreationally enjoy responsibly. There.

That said:

Go for girly drinks that cover up the taste of alcohol with way too much sugar, like daikiris and white russians. Also cream liqueur in general.
^This, or shots of a strong liquor with chasers if you just want to get drunk quickly. You may not like taste of the alcohol, but chasing it immediately with something you do like can mitigate it.

Reactions: Baffle

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I just made myself a wonderfully delicious sazerac.

This has nothing to do with the thread as I'm pretty sure fOx would hate this drink (it's extremely alcohol forward), I just felt like bragging about how good it was.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
High-ish quality vodka and orange/cranberry juice is tough to beat, long as it's real juice

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
There was a complimentary bottle of sparkling wine in my holidays digs, which is irresponsible as it's going to take up space I could have put my alchol-free Guinness in (seriously, if anyone wants to drink a bit less but still likes an alchol-type drink, try the Guinness, it's a good one).

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
The problem is that I really hate the taste of alcohol.
Everyone hates the taste of alcohol when they start drinking, because alcohol tastes awful. But lots of people want to drink alcohol because getting drunk is fun and "adult", so they get used to the taste and even learn to appreciate it.

Do bear in mind you don't want to become an alcoholic, because that's a condition where you need to drink alcohol to feel okay, and getting to that state tends to ruin people's lives.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
Coconut water works great as a mixer for any hard liquor.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
Ciders seem like a safe choice. Don't know about where you're from, but quite a lot of pubs here have ciders on tap so it's a common alternative for people who don't like beers.

There's some fruit/lambic beers that basically taste like fruit sodas(or cough syrup). These might be harder to find. We got some Belgian and craft beer places where I'm from that can accommodate.

I feel like Hoegaarden is a beer for people who don't like beer. Very clear and inoffensive taste, easy to drink. There's even a raspberry version if Hoegaarden is too much for you.

Otherwise there's cocktails. I enjoy my Gin Tonics and think they are easy to drink, even for people who don't really like alcohol. I'm basing this off my mom saying the Roku Gin + Tonic I made tastes good and she doesn't like alcohol. Though Roku gin is rather floral and atypical for a gin I think. But there's plenty of weird and sweet cocktails out there.

I also think Japanese style highballs, which are basically just whisky, soda water and lemon are pretty nice. I've had it once at a place which added their own touch - in Malaysia there's a sorta local pickled dry sour plum thing called assam boi and it made it great. I also had one with added ginger and I loved it.

Anyway I'm someone who didn't like the taste of spirits initially but over time was able to appreciate it. But well, I like eating bitter gourd and the more bitter the better and I also don't mind my coffee black and bitter. Though I'm a believe in acquired taste, some people call that Stockholm syndrome so eh. Don't have to force yourself, but there might be a psychological component where people are like bitter = tastes bad, therefore I must gag. You could try giving things a chance, focus on your tongue while sipping certain drinks and see if you can find an appreciation for it. Since you're already trying to get drunk, might as well explore a little.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
It's a really, really bad idea. Fatally so in many cases.
Fun Fact, injecting alcohol is also the cure for anti-freeze toxicity. Problem is hitting the balance of neutralizing the toxin while not giving the patient alcohol poisoning.

As for trying alcoholism, alcohol taste horrible and anyone who says otherwise has stolkholm syndrome. Once you drink enough you'll develop a taste for it and it becomes easier. Vodka is a good starter because you can mix it in anything or swallow it straight. Also once you start to get hangovers (you only get them once you drink regularly) drink a bottle of water before bed and it helps a lot.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Fun Fact, injecting alcohol is also the cure for anti-freeze toxicity. Problem is hitting the balance of neutralizing the toxin while not giving the patient alcohol poisoning.

As for trying alcoholism, alcohol taste horrible and anyone who says otherwise has stolkholm syndrome. Once you drink enough you'll develop a taste for it and it becomes easier. Vodka is a good starter because you can mix it in anything or swallow it straight. Also once you start to get hangovers (you only get them once you drink regularly) drink a bottle of water before bed and it helps a lot.
Wow, there's a name I never expected to see again.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
Everyone out here saying to have drinks mixed with cream, and sugary drinks. That's just a hell of a way to give yourself a hangover, or make yourself sick. Don't mix sugary shit and dairy with alcohol, unless you're drinking slow.

Me, I go the slavic route on the rare occasion I do mixed drinks: pickle brine. Pickle juice martini, picklebacks, et cetera. Pickle brine is loaded to the gills with electrolytes, vitamins, and antioxidants, so it helps retain water and sustain chemical levels to offset the negative side effects of alcohol, and masks the taste. Plus it pairs best with clear spirits -- gin, mezcal, soju, vodka -- which have less potentially hangover-inducing ingredients.

But to be honest, I don't really drink any more, and when I do it's expensive connoisseur-ish shit: islays, ryes, porters, saisons and lambics in the warmer months.