Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
UniversalAC said:
Secondhand Revenant said:
UniversalAC said:
Silvanus said:
UniversalAC said:
I don't see how not having something that is required for your genetic legacy to survive is functional. It's one thing to make a choice not to have sex, or children. If I'm understanding you correctly, asexual people don't have a choice. That sounds pretty dysfunctional.

If it's not, how is it not?
Well, many people don't consider reproduction to be their primary/sole function. I know I don't. And, if one considers it such, there are numerous other approaches. Asexuals can still have sex for that purpose.
Please see www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/18.883698.22299743

I'm not claiming that it needs to be anyone's purpose. I'm not religious, so purpose doesn't matter to me. I'm more concerned that it's not a viable trait which you can pass along. A lack of sexual drive seems likely to take you out of the sexual market for your whole life. You won't be faking a life with a wife or husband, while secretly meeting your same-gendered love in a motel either. You won't be a person with an active sex drive, who happens to feel they were born into the wrong body either.
And what is the importance of this sexual market? Why does it matter if you ever pass along your genetics? If those are not our purpose then it should be fine if we don't engage in them, no?
I can't tell if you don't understand what I've been saying, or you just don't want to talk about it.
I'm pointing out that just because it's usual that people feel an urge to have sex and thus reproduce that doesn't mean there's any harm. The consequences of not doing so that you've put forth seem utterly irrelevant and unimportant if we are recognizing there is no purpose. A variation that doesn't result in any kind of harm or difficulty is hardly a problem.

Edit: to elaborate and compare. If you're blind you have more difficulty with certain activities required to survive in society(edit: well actually at all). Same with not being able to walk. What does not having desires that lead to kids do?

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Other than my friends failing to grasp the concept that I don't find joy in some of the things they do... naked people doing stuff and the viewing there-of, mostly among them.

I don't really 'struggle' as much as just sigh 50% more than regular people.

It's annoying yeah, but ...I mean sex sells and I sadly just don't care for it, or really get it sometimes.

Explains my late childhood/early teenhood how I was always the last to 'get the innuendo' or giggle at the fleshy unmentionables.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
UniversalAC said:
UniversalAC said:
UniversalAC said:
Silvanus said:
UniversalAC said:
I don't see how not having something that is required for your genetic legacy to survive is functional. It's one thing to make a choice not to have sex, or children. If I'm understanding you correctly, asexual people don't have a choice. That sounds pretty dysfunctional.

Well, many people don't consider reproduction to be their primary/sole function. I know I don't. And, if one considers it such, there are numerous other approaches. Asexuals can still have sex for that purpose.

I'm not claiming that it needs to be anyone's purpose. I'm not religious, so purpose doesn't matter to me. I'm more concerned that it's not a viable trait which you can pass along. A lack of sexual drive seems likely to take you out of the sexual market for your whole life. You won't be faking a life with a wife or husband, while secretly meeting your same-gendered love in a motel either. You won't be a person with an active sex drive, who happens to feel they were born into the wrong body either.
And what is the importance of this sexual market? Why does it matter if you ever pass along your genetics? If those are not our purpose then it should be fine if we don't engage in them, no?
I can't tell if you don't understand what I've been saying, or you just don't want to talk about it.
I'm pointing out that just because it's usual that people feel an urge to have sex and thus reproduce that doesn't mean there's any harm. The consequences of not doing so that you've put forth seem utterly irrelevant and unimportant if we are recognizing there is no purpose. A variation that doesn't result in any kind of harm or difficulty is hardly a problem.

Edit: to elaborate and compare. If you're blind you have more difficulty with certain activities required to survive in society(edit: well actually at all). Same with not being able to walk. What does not having desires that lead to kids do?
I think you're making a good argument for people who freely make choices to enter or abstain from any sexual marketplace they choose. Choice, being the key. What's wrong with someone who lacks something which virtually all (I'll be generous and just say) mammals have?

Lets take blind, or deaf people for example. Many people who are blind or deaf from birth don't accept the notion that they're handicapped. They really do feel that what they have going on represents a difference, not a lack. I think that's a great way to look at it, but it's not true. You can compensate for something in ways that exceed that original thing, but it is what it is.

I think you're falling into the same trap, confusing what I'm saying as a value judgement. People can have a handicap, dysfunction, whatever it happens to be, and not require or want "help". I can accept that, I think most people can. Just don't ask me to engage in constant euphemistic language, or avoidance of a topic because it's hard for you.

Edit: A total absence is not a variation.
I'm saying it's not a handicap or dysfunction if it doesn't actually cause a problem.

And I haven't at all asked you to change your language. I'm arguing about what it is or is not, not personally telling you to do anything.

And why exactly is a total absence not a variation? Being blind is a variation. One that causes problems, sure. Variation doesn't need to be harmless.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
UniversalAC said:
Why does that matter? That's what I'm missing. There's no need for it to be a viable trait to be passed on.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
UniversalAC said:
I think you're making a good argument for people who freely make choices to enter or abstain from any sexual marketplace they choose. Choice, being the key. What's wrong with someone who lacks something which virtually all (I'll be generous and just say) mammals have?

Lets take blind, or deaf people for example. Many people who are blind or deaf from birth don't accept the notion that they're handicapped. They really do feel that what they have going on represents a difference, not a lack. I think that's a great way to look at it, but it's not true. You can compensate for something in ways that exceed that original thing, but it is what it is.

I think you're falling into the same trap, confusing what I'm saying as a value judgement. People can have a handicap, dysfunction, whatever it happens to be, and not require or want "help". I can accept that, I think most people can. Just don't ask me to engage in constant euphemistic language, or avoidance of a topic because it's hard for you.

I think you're missing the point of what people are actually trying to get across here. Lack of sexual arousal, of physical attraction, what's being described here as human asexuality, isn't the same thing as not desiring children. Just because someone isn't interested in sexual acts for reasons of, well, lust for lack of a better term, doesn't mean that they lack the desire to reproduce. What it means is that the drive based on the physical attraction isn't there, this can actually be a significant advantage, assuming the asexual person intends to have children. In a case like that it means the intention to breed would be based on more than just looks, it'd be based on personality compatibility, based on factors of stability of the relationship, basically on values other than wanting to do the tango between the sheets. Such as it is, those factors can contribute to a person finding a better partner with which to conceive children, meaning that the children are more likely to have other positive traits that both parents share. Not only that but a relationship built on a foundation of personal compatibility has a better potential stability, when raising children, parents with a more stable relationship end up with more stable children.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
UniversalAC said:
UniversalAC said:
UniversalAC said:
UniversalAC said:
Silvanus said:
UniversalAC said:

I'm saying it's not a handicap or dysfunction if it doesn't actually cause a problem.
And I'm telling you that a lot of blind, deaf, and other kind of handicapped people would say the exact same thing. At some point you have to respect the sentiment, but not the statement.
That would be the point when you point out to them how things like being able to see effect your ability to find food etc. The problem is you're not explaining what they thing asexuals need to do or would want to do that they cannot.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
UniversalAC said:
UniversalAC said:
UniversalAC said:
UniversalAC said:
UniversalAC said:
Silvanus said:
UniversalAC said:

And I'm telling you that a lot of blind, deaf, and other kind of handicapped people would say the exact same thing. At some point you have to respect the sentiment, but not the statement.
That would be the point when you point out to them how things like being able to see effect your ability to find food etc. The problem is you're not explaining what they thing asexuals need to do or would want to do that they cannot.
I'd love to see that discussion happen in real life. A self avowed asexual, and someone blind since birth discussing what is or isn't a disability.
I'm saying you're not providing an actual thing that asexuals need to do or would want to do that they cannot. Survival related examples can be provided for things like blindness.

I'm also not asexual if you meant me.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
UniversalAC said:
UniversalAC said:
UniversalAC said:
UniversalAC said:
UniversalAC said:
UniversalAC said:
Silvanus said:
UniversalAC said:

I'd love to see that discussion happen in real life. A self avowed asexual, and someone blind since birth discussing what is or isn't a disability.
I'm saying you're not providing an actual thing that asexuals need to do or would want to do that they cannot. Survival related examples can be provided for things like blindness.

Right, why would a sex drive be something that might be essential for organisms with a few hundred million years of sexual reproduction in their past. /s
See, but can you in fact state what it is supposed to be essential *for* and why that thing is essential?

Personal survival is assumed to be what we expect from a properly functioning human. Species wide survival is a more abstract idea and it's value depends on a more philosophical stance than medicine takes.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
UniversalAC said:
UniversalAC said:
UniversalAC said:
UniversalAC said:
UniversalAC said:
UniversalAC said:
UniversalAC said:
Silvanus said:
UniversalAC said:

Right, why would a sex drive be something that might be essential for organisms with a few hundred million years of sexual reproduction in their past. /s
See, but can you in fact state what it is supposed to be essential *for* and why that thing is essential?

Personal survival is assumed to be what we expect from a properly functioning human. Species wide survival is a more abstract idea and it's value depends on a more philosophical stance than medicine takes.
Alright, this was really interesting, but I have a limit on my reductive reasoning meter, and it's giving me a daily dosage alarm. If you want to go back a few posts and discuss anything before you decided to re-write evolutionary biology, get back to me.
Considering that evolutionary biology has no intent nor makes any kind of judgement, it has no impact on what is proper functioning. Proper functioning being a judgement. It's purely descriptive and you seem to be making the mistake of tossing a bit of your personal view into it.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Jan 12, 2010
UniversalAC said:
I'm not the one missing the point, or mixing up evolutionary arguments with extremely modern ones. I'm guessing that's because I don't have an agenda in this, and it seems everyone else talking right now has a personal stake in it.
It's not quite as modern as you might think... Humans are dedicated tool users, that's an ability we gained via the evolutionary trait of having larger brains that are directly fed by the main arteries to our heads. If you look at virtually every other mammal those arteries feed to their jaw muscles. So we evolved to have weaker jaws, but better brains, those better brains allowed the compensation by encouraging tool use and tool making.

So we sit here assuming that asexuality in humans has a evolutionary basis via genetics; however, you take it to the point of a dysfunction, or handicap. Well a human who isn't driven by sexual impulses does have advantages. For example; while others are busy seeking sex, an asexual human isn't bothered by that, thus has more time to dedicate to other things. Other things; like inventing new tools, improving existing tools, finding more efficient ways to prepare food; maintaining fires that discourage predators from approaching, upkeep to the encampment, and so on... Doing such things instead of doggedly pursuing sex have a lot of potential to make that person look more desirable, because they're spending more time on making life easier. So another might see that person as a better potential mate and companion. That one person being asexual becomes less of an issue, because once a relationship is established, many asexual people will engage in sex to please their partner, or to have offspring. So you've got a person here that is doing constructive things instead of having sex, while at the same time those constructive things make them seem like an ideal mate. You've been running under the condition that asexuals always abstain, but that's not exactly the case, which means there is quite a good potential that an asexual person's genes will still get passed on.

Still the genetic argument has a flaw. While there are genetics that are linked to asexuality, homosexuality, and bisexuality, possibly even transgenderism, they're not the only factors. You're leaving out neurological factors, which can be influenced environment at least as much as genetics, if not more so. You're not factoring in hormone influences, both those that occur on a day to day basis, and those provided in the womb before birth. Along with those, there's also factors of subconscious/unconscious thought processes, which can be effected by both neurological and environmental conditions. Speaking of environmental conditions, ones that put stress on a population could partially explain these traits that work against reproduction. If it's getting harder to get by, producing individuals who are less like to reproduce is beneficial for two reasons: The first is that you're still adding a useful member to the group, the second is that as it gets harder to survive their lower likelihood to reproduce means less hungry, helpless children to care for later. So there is a natural form of population control that's beneficial, in that it helps provide better survival for others in the group. Since humans are social animals that live in groups, having ones that might not reproduce, but still function otherwise, still helps provide to the resources necessary to survive.

It reminds me of a species of birds I saw in a documentary, that the name of escapes me now, some in the flock will gravitate to the top of the trees. Doing that allows them to act as defenders of the flock and decoys for predators, thus protecting the nests, eggs, and young of the other members of their flock. Sure this gives them a drastically lower chance of reproducing, but at the same time it provides security to the others, a valid survival mechanism that helps ensure the species continues. Survival mechanisms like these pop up all over the natural world, which means us humans posses our own kind of mechanism. A counter reproductive trait might not be ideal to the individual, but they tend to be beneficial to the species as a whole, by helping ensure the success of others.

On a final note: There are species that are intensely competitive when it comes to mating, to the point they'll kill off young of their rivals to make the females need to mate again. These animals are also extremely sensitive, from a survival standpoint, to external stress factors, which harms their survivability as a species. Meaning they see drastic population declines during any suboptimal conditions, sometimes to the point of extinction. So there's that too.

JonnyHG

Nov 7, 2011
I'm struggling with the fact that I might belong somewhere on the asexual spectrum. I'm currently 31 but didn't have sex until I was 30. I had prior opportunities but I never found it that interesting and didn't want to risk getting someone pregnant. Having sex or getting blowjobs weren't enjoyable in the slightest. I went to a doctor, a specialist, and a sex therapist but couldn't get any concrete answers. Bodily problems were ruled out and the therapist thought I just needed to practice more. I enjoy masturbating and thinking about sex but if it comes to it I'm just not interested.

I was raised very conservatively and very sheltered. I don't remember being exposed to any kind of remotely sexual content since we didn't even have a TV. Though I'd say I didn't really have a sexual consciousness, I was hyper-romantic in a way, having strong romantic feelings towards the women I liked. I went through high school without a sexual thought in my mind, believing that sex was something that married people did and that if I got married I would have sex then and that everything would be fine because sex was supposed to be great. I didn't masturbate until I was almost 20 not because I wanted to, but because I wanted to be a normal person. I still am uncomfortable around strong sexuality in my entertainment which is part of the reason I can't get into Game of Thrones.

What I'm struggling with right now is the idea that I may never be able to have a normal relationship and even attempting to date again will be very difficult.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Jan 12, 2010
UniversalAC said:
Meanwhile, sexual reproduction in mammals goes back to the dinosaurs. Literally. We don't even need to just look at humans, since there are no asexual mammals we're part of the larger group in that respect.
You're making the assumption that dinosaurs were exclusively eating and reproducing, so back to those birds I mentioned, the ones that will destroy reproductive potential to protect the flock, guess what they evolved from. Also mammals aren't related to dinosaurs, birds and modern reptiles are, but mammals are a completely different adaptation. Speaking of mammals, there are plenty that don't get to reproduce, like say most male lions who only get a shot at reproduction if they can take over a pride, or wolves, where only the alpha male has breeding privileges.