id Gets Back to Business: A Preview of Rage

DoctorNick

Oct 31, 2007
Hm.

The game looks intriguing and I'm fairly certain I'll enjoy it.

Having said that the problem I have isn't that it is another game with a post-apocalyptic setting. No, my problem is that it is another game with a post-apocalyptic setting that's fucking brown. If something was to kill 95% of all the people on the planet in one fell-swoop then nature would very quickly reassert itself in areas where people had been living previously.

What I'd like to see is a post-apocalyptic game that's set relatively shortly (Say, 15 or 20 years) after an outbreak of the superflu or whatever and based in a temperate area. Plant-growth choked crumbling cities that are UTTERLY SILENT, vast untouched forests where running into a fucking hungy bear is just as likely and dangerous as running into a hostile survivalist band, struggling to feed yourself when there are no more farms and what few plots of food-crops that still exist are being guarded by people who themselves depend on them for sustenance and will most assuredly NOT take kindly to you trying to pick your fill.

Ah, to dream...

Harmondale2

Nov 18, 2009
The plot just screams fallout 2 with a tad of fallout 1, I mean even if they didn't mean it too, its quite amusing :p

13lackfriday

Feb 10, 2009
Two Angels said:
It looks good but the comparison to Fallout 3 is obvious. You start off in a Vault ARK and you have to wander around a post-apocalyptic DC wasteland and fight super mutants and fight The Enclave Authority.

To be honest I'm looking forward to this as it looks good and more open world FPS's is not a bad thing in my book but I just feel like they're not really pushing out the boat setting or story wise which is a shame. Then again no one can really complain much beyond that before playing the game which could be nothing like Fallout.
At least they'll have vehicle sections.

...or am I confusing it with Borderland?

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
All I am saying is...."here's hoping!"

I figure I will buy this, I hope it will be worth the money!

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
Rage may have all the wrappings of an RPG, but if there's one thing I hated about Borderlands, it was numbers, and I sure as hell hope id leaves them out. I mean, a first-person RPG is new and exciting so I can see why Gearbox tried it, but shouldn't a piece of lead traveling at a thousand feet per second through the head kill someone even if they work out/are tall? The number system was one of the weaknesses of the game, and it was a miss to say the least.

Rage does look promising, and I personally don't care if it ends up being similar to Fallout. Fallen Earth is similar to Fallout, but people don't seem to mind much. I enact the Rule of Cool to this effect.

MinishArcticFox

Jan 4, 2010
I clicked on an article for Rage but I guess I got one about Fallout 3, an underground safe haven, an evil government, open world, lots of customizable guns, post apocolyptic. But Quake 4 was ok in my opinion so I'm sure that a Fallout 3 clone done by a studio known for closed in linear shooters will be great.

Rawker

Jun 24, 2009
Kalezian said:
I cant wait for Rage either. but I cant shake the feeling that people will cry on their rooftops "ITS FALLOUT [3]!"
FALLO- oh, now i don't feel as cool. In reality, i think its going to be the bastard child of borderlands and fallout.

SomeUnregPunk

Jan 15, 2009
Rawker said:
Kalezian said:
I cant wait for Rage either. but I cant shake the feeling that people will cry on their rooftops "ITS FALLOUT [3]!"
FALLO- oh, now i don't feel as cool. In reality, i think its going to be the bastard child of borderlands and fallout.
You mean Fallen Earth? ... maybe Rage is more like the retarded son.

I kid.
I feel it will be more like if you took DIRT's world and transposed on top of Fallout 3.
I hope.

Namewithheld

Apr 30, 2008
This is cool, but until someone makes an Eclipse Phase FPS/RPG hybrid for the computer, I won't be happy.

Now THAT'S a bitching post apocalypse...filled with nanotech and cortical stacks and so on and so forth.

Anywho, Rage looks neat. I'm always up for "Like Fallout 3, but better."

Cause Fallout 3 was awesome.

So Fallout 3 but better is quite good indeed.

thevegetarianzombie

Dec 11, 2008
Post-apocalyptic FPS RPG...

I have a strong urge to cry "Fallout 3 clone!" but, since it's id, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
It's lack of effort to trying to break the rut of games is why Crytek keeps selling theirs. If I had to choose between Rage and Crysis 2, I'd pick the latter because at least right now, NYC isn't being raped to death just yet. I can just play Fallout 3 to get my Wasteland fill. Not to mention Rage will also have New Vegas to go up against. Seriously id, if you are going to come back into the ring, don't do it as a copycat. At least pick a genre that isn't being used just now.
Why not revive Hexxen?

Jazzyluv2

Nov 20, 2009
people ***** about shit being new and original. Seriously, shut the fuck up, you want new shit handed to you, when there is so much shit out there.

Bet you people didn't know that Quake 3 can be a Trick or Race game.

Actually quake 3 ALONE has more variety than multiple games. TDM's entire game style is totally different than DUEL, or CA, or instagib, or blah blah blah.

Again people complain about new shit in games, but never explore or push what they already have. Why, cause they want originality handed to them, when you yourself can create it.

r_Chance

Dec 13, 2008
samsonguy920 said:
It's lack of effort to trying to break the rut of games is why Crytek keeps selling theirs. If I had to choose between Rage and Crysis 2, I'd pick the latter because at least right now, NYC isn't being raped to death just yet. I can just play Fallout 3 to get my Wasteland fill. Not to mention Rage will also have New Vegas to go up against. Seriously id, if you are going to come back into the ring, don't do it as a copycat. At least pick a genre that isn't being used just now.
Why not revive Hexxen?
Id started work on their "copycat" about the same time Bethesda started on Fallout 3. Bethesda used a middleware engine which they also used for Oblivion and got it out the door. Id developed a new engine. I love Fallout 3. In spite of the game engine. I suspect I'll like Rage as a game, and be a lot happier with the tech it runs on. As for Hexen, that was a Raven Software game. Id engine, different developer -- the same developer that id used to do Quake IV. They have always had a pretty close relationship. Personally I'd love to see a Hexen III. Hexen II is one of my favorite all time games. Hopefully Raven will dust it off and carry it forward. First Person, RPG elements, swords and sorcery. *sigh* I can hope...

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Kalezian said:
I'll be fair, that's exactly what i'm thinking.

Artheval_Pe

Jul 7, 2008
If I had to choose between Rage and Crysis 2, I'd pick the latter because at least right now, NYC isn't being raped to death just yet.
GTA III & IV, Prototype, Deus Ex, Indigo Prophecy, Max Payne, Resistance 2, Ghostbusters etc...
No, it hasn't been raped to death at all.

What do we have as post-apocalyptic/desert games ? Fallout 3, Borderlands, Fallen Earth and... that's pretty much all of it.

lightbeats

Aug 5, 2009
Just sounds like its going to be Borderlands/Fallout 3.

Why has ID felt the need to go "open world", I find most open world mission based games lack good story telling and 'epic' moments, with a few exceptions. Right now it sounds like they've lifted out Fallout 3's story and setting completely, and given us the mechanics of Borderlands minus the things that made borderlands fun, i.e. the RPG side of it and ridiculous amount of guns.

Whilst I imagine the actual feel of the game will be better than both, movement and gun handling will also feel more FPS'y, like we are used to with ID, but they are playing a dangerous game here by not doing anything that really innovates the genre.

More and more games these days find success purely on their Multiplayer content as well. I believe if it's just a Singleplayer game its got to be EPIC to compete these days, especially on consoles.

But seeing as it's ID, it will probably have a MP, and again I can't see it being the new "twitch shooter" that could in anyway compete with Quake, so when you are failing to better your previous achievements, it's got to be seen as a failure really hasn't it. All we are going to be served at the end of the day is Borderlands mixed with Fallout 3, with ridiculous hot rod cars, and a watered down single player and multiplayer.

Oh, and it uses the same multiplayer infrastructure that MW2 does for PC, YAY! =.=