id Gets Back to Business: A Preview of Rage

mexicola

Feb 10, 2010
I get the feeling it will be just another game in the sea nobody will remember a few years after it's released. I don't think they will revolutionize the genre by doing what was essentially already done in STALKER/Fallout3/Borderlands/whatever, so I guess I'll wait for the reviews and might get the game if it's fun, but nobody should expect the game to be the mesiah of FPSs.

AnAngryMoose

Nov 12, 2009
I'm going with the masses and saying: "Yes, it is a lot like Fallout 3." Even look at the way the enemy in the first screenshot is holding his weapon, the room bears resemblance to a typical fallout office and don't get me started on that ARK bit! I'm not saying that it looks bad or anything, just similar to fallout.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
olikunmissile said:
Kalezian said:
I cant wait for Rage either. but I cant shake the feeling that people will cry on their rooftops "ITS FALLOUT [3]!"
Unfortunately, it IS. Replace "The Ark" with "Vault". Replace "Wasteland" with "Wasteland". Replace "The Authority" with "The Enclave". Replace... Ah you get the idea.

They just described Fallout, anyone would think they copied from Black Isle's test paper.

However I am now going to keep an eye on this. Because I, like the rest of the world, sometimes enjoy eating the same meal, even if it has a different name.
I don't think it's so much the same meal with a different name. It's more like Fallout 3 was a beef stew, and then id came along and thought "You know, this is good, but what if we use bear meat instead of beef? And maybe use a couple different vegetables". At the end of the day we're still eating stew, but its going to be a different stew.

Fiskmasen

Apr 6, 2008
I'm guesstimating most people screaming Fallout 3 rip-off haven't a) played and id Software game before, and/or b) don't realize this shit went into development at around the same time Bethesda laid their money-grubbing fingers on the Fallout-franchise (and raped it to Oblivion if you ask me).
This will be a game with id Software's default gunplay (aka awesome) with some new ideas and directions for the company. Doesn't matter what people say, this thing will probably be a great new IP from one of the all time champs of gamedevelopment, and I'm looking forward to it.

lkevil

Jan 25, 2010
Fallout 3 as a proper FPS, insane frame rates, vehicles - well i'm defiantly sold

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
Shjade said:
While the setting does make me think Fallout, particularly the Ark bit, being able to actually concentrate on shooting things with accurate guns rather than rely on a VATS-type system to hit a target would make for much tighter gameplay, I'd think.

Post-apocalypse has been done many times before. It will be done many times in future. As long as the game holds up on its own merits I could live with the setting. That is, if I were getting the game; I doubt my compy'd be able to run it.
Because if you think post-apocalyptic games, the Fallout series is the standout to the majority of people. Fallout 1 and 2 were famous and respected, Fallout 3 is ubiquitous.

On another subject, no "NPC"s in Doom? What happened to the poor rabbit that features so prominently in the end sequence? (You young'uns don't want to know what happens to rabbits in an alien demon apocalypse. Seriously, you don't. It'll turn your stomachs.)

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
theSovietConnection said:
olikunmissile said:
Kalezian said:
I cant wait for Rage either. but I cant shake the feeling that people will cry on their rooftops "ITS FALLOUT [3]!"
Unfortunately, it IS. Replace "The Ark" with "Vault". Replace "Wasteland" with "Wasteland". Replace "The Authority" with "The Enclave". Replace... Ah you get the idea.

They just described Fallout, anyone would think they copied from Black Isle's test paper.

However I am now going to keep an eye on this. Because I, like the rest of the world, sometimes enjoy eating the same meal, even if it has a different name.
I don't think it's so much the same meal with a different name. It's more like Fallout 3 was a beef stew, and then id came along and thought "You know, this is good, but what if we use bear meat instead of beef? And maybe use a couple different vegetables". At the end of the day we're still eating stew, but its going to be a different stew.
You, sir, have just won the prize for "most overuse of a foodie metaphor in any web forum ever." You get three Internets (four if you can somehow fit dumplings in there as well).

Necromancer1991

Apr 9, 2010
So what you're basically saying is that it draws influence from Borderlands and Fallout whilst going a step further towards the RPG aspect all while keeping a world that (hopefully) maintains my interest and leads to a ton of replay value.

hightide

Kittenkiller
Jun 17, 2009
lkevil said:
Fallout 3 as a proper FPS, insane frame rates, vehicles - well i'm defiantly sold
I second that.

Also, I would be only disapointed if there was an great alternative to a post-apocalypse scenario (or if Fallout 3 was perfect). What other setting on earth gives you the ability to shoot random people in the face and not feel like a GTA douchbag that doesn't involve Nazis... Or Zombie Nazis.

sunpop

Oct 23, 2008
I hate to say it and I really do because I like to be the one telling people to stop saying one game is just the same thing as another one. But this really does look like fallout and I honestly thought the screen shot was another expansion for fallout 3 or a screen shot from the fallout mmo.

I hope I'm proven wrong by them and it just happened to look like fallout in those couple shots and it ends up being very different.

Who knows tho maybe a company based around making shooters will get the fps post apocalypse open world game perfected. Fallout 3 felt so fake when shooting and borderlands was good but it was like playing a very unpopular mmo with such few people.

L-J-F

Jun 22, 2008
Looks like another way of saying sandbox shooter that's fused the wackiest parts of Borderlands, GTA, Fallout3 and Bioshock into a "new product".

To be honest I'm really sick of wacky design: flame-swords, zombies that shoot lightning, guns that fire poison bullets etc ... seems like something a five year-old would come up with.

thevegetarianzombie

Dec 11, 2008
Doom 3 was pretty derivative (you are a space marine, and you are fighting evil monsters that want to take over the world) but it was still awesome. more importantly, the *reason* it was awesome is that when it comes to level design, enemy placement, combat mechanics, lighting, artwork, and atmosphere (basically, everything that gets added in between the concept statement and the release date) id knows how to paint a masterpiece as well as anyone who's ever been in the business.

It can be an utter conceptual clone of fallout, but if those qualities I mentioned above are spectacular, then the game will be spectacular.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
r_Chance said:
samsonguy920 said:
It's lack of effort to trying to break the rut of games is why Crytek keeps selling theirs. If I had to choose between Rage and Crysis 2, I'd pick the latter because at least right now, NYC isn't being raped to death just yet. I can just play Fallout 3 to get my Wasteland fill. Not to mention Rage will also have New Vegas to go up against. Seriously id, if you are going to come back into the ring, don't do it as a copycat. At least pick a genre that isn't being used just now.
Why not revive Hexxen?
Id started work on their "copycat" about the same time Bethesda started on Fallout 3. Bethesda used a middleware engine which they also used for Oblivion and got it out the door. Id developed a new engine. I love Fallout 3. In spite of the game engine. I suspect I'll like Rage as a game, and be a lot happier with the tech it runs on. As for Hexen, that was a Raven Software game. Id engine, different developer -- the same developer that id used to do Quake IV. They have always had a pretty close relationship. Personally I'd love to see a Hexen III. Hexen II is one of my favorite all time games. Hopefully Raven will dust it off and carry it forward. First Person, RPG elements, swords and sorcery. *sigh* I can hope...
Well ain't nothin' sez that id can't get Raven back together and collaborate on a new Hexxen. We need more chickens to step on!
On another note, this game may redefine rage quitting.

ResiEvalJohn

Nov 23, 2009
Sure, it's like Fallout 3, but I think it has all the ingredients to be awesome! Let's just hope they do it right because it's definitely possible to make this game great. I know that building up hype often leads to disappointment, so for now I'm just going to say "Let's wait and see."

Bruce Edwards

Feb 17, 2010
I miss the ID of old, who seemed to *create* new game genre's. (They did the first Shooter, the first WWII shooter, the first game where you were a Space Marine, the first no-story shooter with a pure multiplayer focus).

The new ID seems to do a lot of recycling of old concepts. But at least they polish everything to a dizzying, Blizzard-style level before releasing it.

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
Getting big Fallout 3 vibes.
Not that that's a bad thing, it's just not the kind of thing I would go for if I was trying to bring back the FPS market.

rddj623

"Breathe Deep, Seek Peace"
Sep 28, 2009
Doom is what made me fall in love with FPS games. Wolfenstein piqued my interest, Doom sealed the deal, and then Quake put the ring on my finger. Excited about Rage.