id Gets Back to Business: A Preview of Rage

rabidmidget

Apr 18, 2008
I don't see the point in complaining that something is like Fallout, isn't that a good thing? I may be one of the first people to jump on the "originality in games" band wagon but it seems stupid to say "this game franchise was already set in an post apocalyptic environment, so no one else can have their game set in one either".

ERadical

Aug 30, 2009
Read the first page and thought Fallout 3
Read the second page and thought Borderlands

Hell this game sounds good because I loved those two games and as long as it isn't to similar I'll buy it

Xeros

Aug 13, 2008
As good as it sounds, it really does sound like a mix of Fallout and Borderlands.

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
black-magic said:
So... it's just s.t.a.l.k.e.r....
Stalker is not really post apocalyptic. The rest of the world is perfectly fine, its only The Zone that is messed up.
After the disaster they use the place for freaky experiments and break reality around the Chernobyl Plant.

In the Book it happens because of an Alien Visitation and there are 6 locations in total, but this is one of those points where S.T.A.L.K.E.R borrows more from Andrei Tarkovsky's film where nothing about why the zone exists is really explained.

And to all those saying Rage is Fallout, well Fallout is Wasteland [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasteland_%28computer_game%29], so the cycle continues.

kingmob

Jan 20, 2010
People seem to be thinking somehow that Fallout 3's story and setting was somehow original and something to be specifically ripped off because of its brilliance. Right...
The interview states quite clearly the reason for both the setting and the narrative, which are most likely the same reasons why the fallout universe works well. And unsurprisingly, both games were pretty much started when technology made it viable to make such a game. Id just took quite a bit longer since they are also making their own engine.

What I'm reading is Id going back to what makes a game fun and I for one am excited about that. Id is in the business of the game equivalent of simple action movies and they do it very well. At least they don't pretend to be doing something else.

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
Suki the Cat said:
Kalezian said:
I cant wait for Rage either. but I cant shake the feeling that people will cry on their rooftops "ITS FALLOUT [3]!"
Sad, isn't it? Everything is Fallout 3, or Modern Warfare, or something... You cannot make good games without being totally revolutionary if you don't want this =p. You'll have to make something entirely new. And that is impossible. Someone will ALWAYS find a game to compare it to...

except for that ONE game, and that game is aneye-opener for everyone. That's why they're special. Anyway, I find myself looking forward to this game. It's more that 'just' a shooter, and I like that. Shooters with nothing else to offer bore me, for some reason.

hyperdrachen

Jan 1, 2008
Kalezian said:
I cant wait for Rage either. but I cant shake the feeling that people will cry on their rooftops "ITS FALLOUT [3]!"
Well good thing you got the first word on that, and while I agree post apocalyptic world isnt exactly a owned IP by fallout this premise makes it sound like a knockoff/tribute.

-Post apocolyps(meh similarity)
-Mutants and bandits(eh yeah post apocolyps I'll let it ride)
-Omnipresent Authority(Cough Cough)
-You're a survivor from a a shelter that went wrong(Ouch)

I'm sure IDs handywork will be quality but I think they could have done more to stand out premise wise. However as I said, post apocalyptic worlds and omnispresent authorities can't really be patented, if they could it probably would have been long before Fallout. Take the same game and change the premise to "you're a member of a cryogenicly frozen population on a long distance exploration space ship where something went wrong, the ship has crashed into some alien planet and you emerge from sleep to find all hell has broken loose, questionable experiments we're going on during the journey, and what's left of the sane crew has organized a small force to repel a group of aliens who we're on the cusp of conquering the planets native populace before the humans and thier guns showed up" You can stil have a world full of aliens/mutants from expirements, encampments dotted across the landscape cobbled togetehr from salvaged shipwreck parts, and there's not really any one truly original idea in my premise, but it keeps it from being able to explained "The gameplay is kinda like fallout, and the story Is... alot like fallout."

Wayne Insane

May 14, 2009
Looking forward to it, but in all honesty I don't think there were many games cooler than Doom.
I mean sure there are BETTER Shooters, but COOLER?Really?
You're a SPACEMARINE on MARS fighting ZOMBIES with a CHAINSAW!
And that's just the sugar-coated top of it.
Big-ass freaky Demons, digitized Slayer and Pantera, BFG's, fuckin cool levels, Wolfenstein Easter-Eggs...
Man, seriously!
I still play it online, Deathmatchin' the shit out of the dozen Russian kids who still seem to play it.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Is it bad when I heard the bit about the ARK, the first thing I thought of was the movie "2012"?

Orange Monkey

Mar 16, 2009
You ultimately take on The Authority? What is this a Philip Pullman Novel? If you get an all powerful knife at some point and a shapeshifting companion i'm calling shenanigans!

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
Kalezian said:
Yeah... First thing I thought of when I read the description:

"Uhhh... This is fallout. The game. With the new ID engine."

I mean I don't know, I like IDs games, Doom, Quake, they're all fun. Maybe RAGE won't be the post-apocalyptic world of FALLOUT, it's just a completely different post-apocalyptic world where you wake up in a vault of some kind (this time its an ARK) in the future with mutants trying to kill you.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
definitely waiting to see how this will be

and ya it does sorta make me think hmm kinda like fallout or borderlands
not comparing or say it is or it'll be worse/better just saying

fyrsten

Aug 19, 2009
Sounds like fallout, looks and acts like borderlands, this is supposed to be "the game the world has waited for"? seesh

This could be a good game, may even be great, but i surely will not be revolutionary. also, i don't think it will have much idividual thinking eigther.
Well done id, first you make the game, now you copy everyone elses version of that game

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
Was does it seem so hard for game-designers (or rather, maybe it's the suits above) to think of underexploited settings for their games? Seriously? Post-apocalyptic? I came up with several possible premises in my head as read the comments, and they didn't use the post-apocalyptic setting but could work with similar mechanics described for the game. And the mutants. Oh god, the mutants! I find kind of creepier when the enemy attacking me is just like me, just deranged, or even more when they're methodic, not some apparently mindless zombie-like creature.

These people need to read more. Diversify. It seems like all their ideas come from the same extremely narrow pool of influences.

internetzealot1

Aug 11, 2009
*Sigh*, OK yes, it asthetically similar to Fallout 3. But gameplay is where the game is, and this is an FPS, not an FPRPG. It'll be plenty different from Fallout. Whether it'll be good or not remains to be seen.

But I think it'll kick ass.

GoodApprentice

Apr 27, 2010
id does not make open-world games. Their M.O. has always pushed them in the opposite direction so that their game levels are smaller and linear but overall, well designed. Anyone hoping to truly wander the wasteland will be disappointed by this game. Expect to see plenty of closed-off canyons and encircling cliff faces as you travel along a guided path from point A to point B.

I'm not saying that this is necessarily a bad thing, but id had better be honest with the product they're selling here. This will not be Fallout3 with a free roam system and complex inventory physics. It will be far closer to Borderlands in its scope and design.