Idea: Lets make a game

DanteRL

Jan 14, 2010
Well, I kind of liked the idea of small groups trying to work with different ideas presented here. The first step for the OP would probably be to choose people to be responsible for each departaments (when the voluntaries arrive), so they will also be responsible to filter some of the ideas that show up from the others, and keep things conected with the main theme, thus controlling a possible "too many cooks" situation.

Since I'm more into writing, world building, and trying to think of rules, I think that's covered already, so I'm just going to throw an idea I had too, that was for a turn based strategy game, involving miniatures that the players would collect, and use in the battlefield. There's the MP component, but also single player missions so people can practice, and get bits of the story.
It would happen in a cyberpunk setting, on a isolated city controled by an AI (transportation, energy and water distribuition). After years of keeping everything running, the computer announces that overpopulation is becoming a risk, and it needs to take measures to control it, or eventually the AI will turn of, leaving everybody in a resourceless city in the middle of a desert. (This leads to fights between many groups, including police forces, rebels that want to either turn the AI off, or simply kill enough people to appease the situation.)

TheArcaneThinker

Jul 19, 2014
Dr. McD said:
TheArcaneThinker said:
You guys really dont need to worry about funding , engine , etc . Just do what the rest of the world does... Get RPG maker... If your making a rpg game or a adventure game..... Rpg maker is quite a famous engine.... Even the upcoming MGQ Paradox is using it.... Hundreds of people make their game using it . All assets , sounds , etc are present and even a single person can do it....
Okay, first off, your grammar is absolutely terrible, you have spaces before every comma, inconsistent and bad use of capitalization (Spelling RPG (which is an acronym) as rpg/Rpg etc) and for some reason end every sentence with four or five periods instead of just one. It makes sentences much longer than they need to or should be.

Assets in RPG Maker will most likely be geared for 16 bit retro JRPGs set in a medievil world. Not only that, but this assumes that if I want to create a unique monster, like say, a cigarette smoking arsewipe jackalope that insults people, or a giant space hamster there is assets for it. More likely than not I will need an artist to create enemies and characters even if I do use RPG maker.
English is not the first language of every person in this planet...
I like my sentences to have a long pause when I end them . Get rid of your narrow minded attitude..........................
Rpg maker is a great choice . There is nothing vad in making a medieval game . There are plenty of futuristic and modern resources packs which are really very good. Even though you cannot make a make a creature like you mentioned without a professional artist , there are plenty of assets on aliens , monsters , etc on the internet. Just google them right now......................

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
PreDefined [deprecated said:
]1) Instead of one mega project, maybe several smaller teams?
DanteRL said:
Well, I kind of liked the idea of small groups trying to work with different ideas presented here.
Not that I want to be negative or anything, but I think we'll be lucky to have ONE competent programmer and ONE competent artist willing to put serious effort into this. Having enough willing and useful people to assemble multiple teams would be nice, but more than we should hope for. Also, I think it would be better for morale to have half a dozen people doing one small game quickly than three teams of two taking forever to do anything and getting burned out. Unless people are getting paid, morale is the #1 concern.

I also have a suggestion for a game. Something like Floor 13

This game puts you in control of shady government department charged with keeping the present administation in power. You have a variety of tools at your disposal, such as disinformation, surveillance, ransacking homes, even torture and assassination. The catch is that you are in a democracy, and you have to keep a very low profile, so overusing the more severe options will cause you to leave your office via the 13th floor window. You receive reports every day regarding new situations, and each situation will develop depending on how you handle it, affecting public opinion either negatively or positively.

Why do I suggest this? Because the art requirements are minimal, and I do not believe it would be terribly hard to program either. Most of the work would be writing the scenarios, and there seems to be a plentiful supply of people willing to write stuff on these boards.

Disthron

Aug 19, 2009
Besides RPG Maker, there is also Click Team Fusion 2.5. Though it's pretty much limited to 2D it's still a pretty robust authorware package. You might also consider Game Maker or Construct, and if you decide to make a point & click adventure game there is Adventure Game Studio.

@albino boo: If you are serious about starting something I think you should start an "interview" prosses and decide of some lead positions. Like art lead, programming lead, ect. Some one to organize those arias of the project.

You should probably go for an art style that is common and popular, Like anime or pixel art, as you will be more likely to find people who can do art for you.

Just some suggestions.

TheArcaneThinker

Jul 19, 2014
Dr. McD said:
TheArcaneThinker said:
English is not the first language of every person in this planet.
I like my sentences to have a long pause when I end them. Get rid of your narrow minded attitude.
Rpg maker is a great choic . There is nothing vad in making a medieval game. There are plenty of futuristic and modern resources packs which are really very good. Even though you cannot make a make a creature like you mentioned without a professional artist , there are plenty of assets on aliens, monsters, etc on the internet. Just google them right now.
And I have use for exactly zero of those assets. The enemies in my game consist of rioting escaped criminals, mercenaries and pirates in league with said criminals, undead risen by a necromancer who is the leader of said criminals, and escaped animals from a zoo.

This is all because while I came up with this idea long before now, even back then it was always meant to be short and simple while allowing a diverse set of enemies and challenges while providing a glimpse into a less cliché than usual fantasy setting. I'm telling you RPG maker is bad because it provides none of those things, especially since the game's story and gameplay depend on a certain specific level of technology.

And while English might not be your first language, you're not speaking your first language, you're speaking English, and all I'm asking is that you don't talk down to others who correct your mistakes of pointless wanton cruelty to the common comma. You have a fucking spellcheck, at least use it and try to keep some level of consistency.
Well...
Changes can always be made...

As for the English part...
I know what language I am speaking...
If you think I talked down to you then I apologize... The thing is that you don't give much significance to the fact that when English isnt someones first language , errors are bound to take place . As for the level of consistency... I think its quite well.........................