Ideas To Improve Next Elder Scrolls Melee Combat

Torque2100

Nov 20, 2008
My idea for improving the Elder Scrolls' melee combat system is that the entire staff need to spend two weeks playing War of the Roses or War of the Vikings so they can learn the combat system in and out. I think that TES would benefit from studying a combat system with multiple angles of attack such as left hand strike, right hand strike, overhand chop and thrust.

They also should study the way, in War of the Roses, different types of armor are more or less effective against different types of damage. For example, Hard armor like Plate is very effective against slashing and piercing attacks like sword blows and arrow strikes but blunt attacks from maces and the like actually do MORE damage to someone in hard armor than someone in soft armor. Likewise soft armor is far more effective against blunt attacks but less so against sword blows. You could even extend this to the magic system, so for example a suit of leather armor provides bonus protection against electrical attacks (leather is non-conductive) but fire spells can actually cause it to catch fire and burn.

EDIT: One more thing, Bethesda. ADD FREAKING SPEARS. The Spear has been the workhorse weapon of virtually every army in history right up until the widespread application of gunpowder. Yet no-one anywhere in Tamriel uses a spear. How hard could it possibly be to code a spear into your games?

HaraDaya

Nov 9, 2009
Look at Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. Get somewhere close to a system like that, and I'll never tire of it unlike Skyrim.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Torque2100 said:
EDIT: One more thing, Bethesda. ADD FREAKING SPEARS. The Spear has been the workhorse weapon of virtually every army in history right up until the widespread application of gunpowder. Yet no-one anywhere in Tamriel uses a spear. How hard could it possibly be to code a spear into your games?
They'll have to change how spears work to be effective though. I think the reason they removed them after Morrowind is that using spears was pretty boring. Basically it was just "stab. Stab. Stab some more. uh... stab again" the whole fight.

Kaendris

Sep 6, 2013
immortalfrieza said:
They'll have to change how spears work to be effective though. I think the reason they removed them after Morrowind is that using spears was pretty boring. Basically it was just "stab. Stab. Stab some more. uh... stab again" the whole fight.
I think they could benefit from allowing the spears to double as throwing weapons. It would allow for interesting engagement classes. Spear as a mid-range approach weapon, used to take out one approaching foe before switching to the close quarters weapon of choice. In a pinch, the spear could be used to keep opponents at a distance until better ground could be gained..

Just a thought..

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
I feel what we have in Skyrim is solid, I have a lot of fun fighting dragons on legendary, dodging and timing my invincibility shout is a lot of fun.

I feel that what needs fixing is enemy A.I, the enemies in Skyrim are so dumb and with few exceptions just attack you with whatever weapon they have until they die. Give us some strategy from the opponents, the few quest related boss fights where they can do things like teleport were fun and so were the dragon fights but surely even Bandit chiefs could do something other than just rush you.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Vern5 said:
-Quicktime events rarely improve anything. I have never heard of a game that was praised for its quicktime events.
Not entirely true, just most of the time missused. See God Of War or Metal Gear for some good examples.

Quicktime events are good if made good, imagine if when going for the backstab the enemy turns to a side if somewhat alerted, based on what side he starts to turn you would have to push the analog stick to the side of his back like if he turns left you push right. A bit like in Call Of Juarez Gunslinger's system to avoid death.
See at 0:18

It is actually quite cool because it doesnt just tell you the key to press, you have to use your skills to understand to what side the bullet is heading for and dodge.

In some other games like in Metal Gear QTE are used diferently but still well, in most torture parts you have to mash a button and it really tires the player like the character that is being tortured, you basicly get a physical endurance test just like the character.

The example that I gave for the backstab may still be shit but it was just to show that QTE dont always mean "Press X to win".

kommando367

Oct 9, 2008
Give blunt weapons more knockback and bladed weapons more damage.

A parry system system where blocking an attack at the right moment makes the opponent recoil. Power attacking a recoiled foe knocks them down and deals 50% more damage.

Combat roll by pressing the sprint button and any thumb-stick direction but forward.

More options for spellswords like a mysticism spell that turns your combat roll into a lightning quick flash-step, an alteration spell that gives your weapon more knockback, or a destruction spell that gives your weapon elemental damage that stacks with enchantments.

Bolt Van Der Huge

Jun 12, 2011
Now that ZeniMax own id Software, would it be too much of a stretch to incorporate the hit detection system from Rage? Add that to the Fallout limb damage and it sounds like you've got a winner. As for the stealth hit/retreat/hide/repeat gamebreaker, take a leaf out of Metal Gear Solid's book and make the alert time a minute and a half. It would force you to use Sneak as a means of avoiding combat rather than being able to pick one person off out of a group of six standing next to each other, hide on top of a bookshelf for fifteen seconds until they lose interest, and pick off another one.

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
TheYellowCellPhone said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
TheYellowCellPhone said:
3-button quicktime sequence
no
Yes. Please give an argument or a different suggestion as to how we tackle this please instead of a meaningless statement.
Not using quicktime events.

The current backstab system is fine. A simple stab to the back of an unsuspecting enemy does a huge amount of damage and has a chance to initiate a killcam. Obviously it doesn't work right out of the gate, not until you level up Sneak and get the correct perk, but that's a part of the RPG experience. And obviously in vanilla it isn't a guaranteed instakill regardless of gear and combat level, but if it was an uncontested instant kill, it would make Sneak way more overpowered than it already is.

You could argue changing Sneak to be a load more challenging and use the instant kill backstab as a reward to sticking for a much more challenging Sneak -- and even then I'd half disagree. Anything that is an uncontested instant kill has to be treated with care, but because of how RPGs work, Sneak only gets easier as you go on, so instant kills only get easier.

But not quicktime events. Isn't the inventory juggling enough of a game pauser and flow breaker?
I agree. No quicktime. QTEs are not realistic in the slightest and would ruin the gameplay for me. Daggers in the game are not for sprinting in and slashing wildly, you're supposed to learn how to use them.

I find it satisfying to have trained up my dagger skill from really crappy at first to being able to sneak through a dungeon backstabbing. The thrill comes from hiding from enemies, not QTEs. The dagger is fine as it is.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
cloroxbb said:
For me, the perfect Battle system of Elder scrolls would basically be DARK SOULS.
This. Make it first person dark souls where the weapons have weight and seperate moves to them and all kinds of combat will flourish. There will be reasons to take say an Iron sword instead of a Dwarven one because it has similar damage but different move sets. Include the ability to dodge, riposte, shield bash, etc and it should work out great

WolfenD

May 9, 2010
Two things I would want from a Elder Scroll Game:
(1)The Ability to dual wield shields
(2)The ability to use spears for arrows