Idris Elba reportedly being considered for next James Bond

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
evilthecat said:
Has anyone noticed that most of the attributes of bond as a character (hypersexuality, violence, material excess) are also stereotypes of black masculinity.
Don't know where you're coming from. Those are just stereotypes of masculinity period.

Catnip1024

Jan 25, 2010
Oh, for Christs sake. I thought this was a necroed thread for a moment.

Elba is too old. Elba is a different type of character. I still think that if they want a black Bond / female Bond / whatever, they should just invent a new character. Bond is a drink-downing, public-school attending, womanising, Scottish sociopath. And yes, I was pissed off at Craig being cast as Bond. And the overly gritty direction the films took when he started (admittedly, they've now tilted back almost too far in the other direction).

Just let a franchise die peacefully, already.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
PsychedelicDiamond said:
evilthecat said:
Has anyone noticed that most of the attributes of bond as a character (hypersexuality, violence, material excess) are also stereotypes of black masculinity.
Don't know where you're coming from. Those are just stereotypes of masculinity period.
Thank you for this.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Weird people are saying Idris Elba (45) is too old. He's younger than Daniel Craig (50) was when he made Spectre (he was 47).

It seems I am in the minority, but I actually like Daniel Craig as Bond (even if many of his movies were meh). I can definitely see Elba pulling off the same "grizzled" Bond if that's what they're going for.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Fappy said:
Weird people are saying Idris Elba (45) is too old. He's younger than Daniel Craig (50) was when he made Spectre (he was 47).

It seems I am in the minority, but I actually like Daniel Craig as Bond (even if many of his movies were meh). I can definitely see Elba pulling off the same "grizzled" Bond if that's what they're going for.
Craig's my favorite Bond as well. Far as I can tell, that's a common consensus, if not on this forum.

That said, Elba is already 45. If he was chosen to be Bond after Bond 25, you'd have to add probably at least 5 years onto that current age before seeing him. My guess is that the producers would want to get a good run out of him. Craig may be getting older now, but he was in his thirties when he first took the role.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Again? He's already said he isn't interested in the past. Plus, Henry Cavill is young and built enough to be perfect for the role.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Hawki said:
Squilookle said:
Have you seen a Craig Bond film? Everything you said about the 'Heavy' is Craig to a T. For Pete's sake the dude punched through a wall to get a clue in Spectre- could you imagine Roger Moore doing that?
I've seen every Craig film. And bear in mind, the wall he punched through, IIRC, was wooden and rotting.

And I think either you misread me or I didn't make myself clear - Bond can get physical, sure, but that's balanced out with a kind of 'sauveness' to it. When I think of the roles I've seen Elba play, he doesn't really give the same 'feel' I'd expect from the Bond character. As I said, Bond is 'quintisentially British,' or rather, the idealized version of that - well educated, upper class, good with the ladies. The roles I've seen Elba take have usually been more relaxed, more down to earth, and in action, success coming far more from brute force than stealth on intuition. Elba has a kind of 'physicality' to him that I don't really associate the Bond character with, where physical force is key to success, but not the be all and end all of it. It's why I think Elba is great for roles such as Chief Bogo (Zootopia) or Shere Khan (Jungle Book), or even Sean Briar (Bastille Day - god that movie was forgettable) - he has a great sense of presence in both physical and voice acting. But these aren't really Bond equivalents in my eyes.
OK that's fair enough. I'd still say that the way you describe Elba here is the same way I'd describe Craig. He's M's 'blunt instrument' through and through, with none of the charm or intuition of the other actors to play the role.

Elijin said:
Henry Cavill did a pretty good off brand bond in that one movie.
He's actually done it twice now- first in The Man From U.N.C.L.E., and now Mission Impossible: Fallout as well.

Johnny Novgorod said:
Best Bonds were the ones that were acting cool AND having fun.
Agreed- he's got a pretty great job and lifestyle- he can't even crack a smile once in a while!? At least the others (save for Dalton) knew how to use their sardonic humour from time to time...

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
PsychedelicDiamond said:
You're confusing a stereotype and an ideal.

Stereotypes are a simplified idea of what a group is like. Often, a stereotype can be expressed in the form "all/most X are Y".

Masculinity as an ideal may (sometimes) be hypersexual, violent and materialistic. That's the ideal which characters like Bond are selling, after all. But noone actually thinks all white men are hypersexual, violent and materialistic. If you watch adverts for household goods, or food products, you're going to see a very different portrayal and ideal of (invariably white) men as inoffensive, down to earth dad-types. These are not "breaking the stereotype" of masculinity, they are a different form of "softer" masculinity sold to different men, because (white) men have a variety of ways to find societal value. The loving husband and father who provides for his family is a much older and more conventional expression of ideal masculinity than James Bond.

For black men, however, the hypermasculine image exemplified by Bond is a stereotype. Black men are percieved as more violent, more hypersexual and more materially driven than their white peers. Every black man grows up with this set of stereotypical assumptions (which aren't always negative, many black men come to identify strongly with them, hence the popularity of such characters in media aimed at black men). The point is, there are many ideals and expressions of white masculinity, but much fewer for black masculinity.

What I'm saying is, it's fine to want a black James Bond. Heck, I want a black James Bond, because I find the "traditional" depiction of the character revolting and will support anything that rips up that legacy. Besides, I'm sure there are a lot of black men and boys out there who would see a black actor playing James Bond as affirmative, which is cool. However, if you're white, and you like James Bond, and you want a black actor to play James Bond, then I do think you need to ask yourself why. Why is it so appealing to have a black actor play a violent, hypersexed "badass". Do they not play those characters enough? Have we not seen an endless procession of very similar black male characters in media since the Blaxploitation craze of the 70s?

Again, it's not just an ideal, it's a stereotype.

Dec 10, 2012
I love Idris Elba as much as the next warm-blooded heterosexual male, but I think I've had enough of James Bond. I mean, is there any chance the franchise will go back to the silliness of the Connery and Moore days? Especially with a guy like Elba in the role? No way, and at this point that's all that would justify it's continued existence. I mean the last 4 Bond films have been Bourne films in disguise, and now all action-spy-thriller movies are the same.

Either let it finally die a dignified death, or cast someone like Daniel Radcliffe and hire Steve Coogan to direct, let it go totally wild.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
His name will get butts in the seats, and that is all that matters anymore apparently. He is a phenomenal actor and i love watching his movies....but i dont want him as the next bond, just like i didnt want scarjo as the major (or matt damon in the wall).

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I'm not really into James Bond, but this'll be interesting if for no other reason than to watch the purists and the racist assholes get pissy about it.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
He couldn't save the Dark Tower, but I'm not sure that was possible.

I wouldn't mind Joel Kinnaman as the next Bond. I don't think there's anything that make him particularly good for it, I just think he's good in the things he's in and he's the only young-ish actor I can think of.

Oct 22, 2011
That'd be great, but it won't happen. One, he's aged too much. Two, he already said he's not interested, iirc.

Samtemdo8 said:
And really if you wanted to cast Black Actor to be Bond, it should have been Denzel Washington.
He's not british, and usually just plays Denzel Washington. So naaaah, there are tons of better picks, black or not.\
Hawki said:
That said, I don't think Elba's a good choice. Nothing against his acting, but Elba has a kind of 'heaviness' to his performances that I don't think suits Bond's character. He's not the guy who plays the gentlemen, he's the guy who plays the 'heavy.' The 'working class joe.' Bond's basically an idealized version of an English upper class man - Oxford educated, bowtie wearing, charming and suave, etc. I saw Elba in Bastille Day for instance, and again, great at being the 'heavy,' but I can't imagine him playing a character that usually goes for a bit more subtlety.
Johnny Novgorod said:
The problem with Elba is the same problem with Craig - suave as he can be he never looks like he's enjoying himself in anything.
Disagree. Out of those two, Elba comes to me as the one with less boorish, and more suave roles. Can't think of a movie from Craig's filmography where he didn't look tired or pissed.
If he can pull off Bond, then Elba sure can as well.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
MrCalavera said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
The problem with Elba is the same problem with Craig - suave as he can be he never looks like he's enjoying himself in anything.
Disagree. Out of those two, Elba comes to me as the one with less boorish, and more suave roles. Can't think of a movie from Craig's filmography where he didn't look tired or pissed.
If he can pull off Bond, then Elba sure can as well.
I don't think Craig's a very good Bond to begin with. He acts like a mirthless thug.
Hiddleston can be charming and have fun (obviously, he plays Loki) but I've never seen him pull off a good leading role.
I honestly can't think of a good Bond pick at this point.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
totheendofsin said:
So reportedly James Bond producers are leaning towards Idris Elba to play James Bond once Daniel Craig leaves the role. Personally I think it's a wonderful idea and ever since I heard the idea a few years ago I felt it would be disappointing if they didn't go with Idris.
I suspect not, because he's too old.

James Bond as a character must be under 45, because that's the mandatory retirement age. From Ian Fleming's books, it suggests he's in his late 30s. Obviously with the wonders of make-up and personal trainers, you can pass a guy aged ~50 off as ~40, so Daniel Craig can still get away with it, but time is rapidly running out. The last thing anyone needs is to go back to the Roger Moore era with a patently over-the-hill guy about to get his bus pass huffing and puffing through the action scenes.

Idris Elba isn't much younger than Daniel Craig, and as they haven't even released Craig's last Bond movie yet Elba will be around 50 by the time his first Bond film would emerge. Assuming they'd want at least three movies and with the current rate of new titles (3-4 years), Elba would be pushing 60 by the end of a minimal stint as Bond.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Saelune said:
I want to be mad, but Daniel Craig wasn't a good Bond either, and whatever, if it will also piss off some actual racists too, fine.

Hell, if he -acts- like Bond, which Craig did not, I will rank him higher than Craig.

Fuck Daniel Craig.
Isn't that more the fault of the writers and directors rather than Craig himself? Yeah Craig's bond acted eternally grumpy and devoid of charm but that seems to be how that version of Bond was written to be.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
He's totally stirring (not shaking) it. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-45161852