If DeSantis wins

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
You are, as always, a terrible reader.
An ironic response when you didn't manage to read what Phoenix said. Let's try again: "the bill literally says nothing about what kids can and cannot say." It applies only to classroom instruction and course materials.

Reactions: Phoenixmgs

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Incoming "this is fine actually" in 3...2...
That isn't fine as written, I just don't believe her. This is the woman who was tasked to manage a GIS interface with covid data, who refused to comply when the actual health experts told her what to show on the map. She wanted to do things like show positive antibody tests as new cases, which could be useful if you're trying to gauge the scale of the pandemic retrospectively, but isn't at all useful if you're trying to represent current trends. She was told not to post the data that way. Then she was fired. Then after being fired, she hijacked Florida's emergency alert system from her house, which is super illegal. She filed for wrongful termination and was given whistleblower status until the courts determined her allegations of wrongdoing were totally unsubstantiated. In response to that, she photoshopped a letter she received from the State to try and make it look like they validated her claims.

Her credibility is non-existent at this point. Once you've hacked the state and photoshopped government documents related to your court case, it's natural to assume everything you're saying is a lie. Especially something like "the governor kidnapped my son over a meme."

Reactions: Phoenixmgs

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
This is what "eradicating transgenderism" looks like. Any **** who wants to pretend that this isn't genocide can get fucked.

These are threats of violence and need to be met with the same.
For reference, this is the bill mentioned in that tweet: https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2023/1421/BillText/c2/PDF

you're likely to feel like shit occasionally because of the effects of low glucose on brain function. So, I think I'll pass.
I get chills and light-headedness when it gets low, in particular. Except for that one time where I don't really know because I'm missing a couple of hours during which I drove about 15 miles, plowed into a parking lot, tore the front end out of my car and where my memory starts being coherent again I'm in the back of an ambulance with a glucose IV already in, an EMT on one side squeezing a tube of glucose gel into my face and an EMT on the other side testing my glucose and it coming up 43. According to their notes it was too low to measure when they first got to me. Only been remotely that low once in 30 years of being a type I diabetic.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
an EMT on the other side testing my glucose and it coming up 43.
This guy's got 43 glucoses! Put another glucose in him, stat! Did no one tell him breakfast is the most least bad important meal of the day?!

I'm not a doctor.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
An ironic response when you didn't manage to read what Phoenix said. Let's try again: "the bill literally says nothing about what kids can and cannot say." It applies only to classroom instruction and course materials.
During a subcommittee hearing in the Florida House on Wednesday, Republican state Rep. Stan McClain said his bill would include restrictions on girls talking about their menstrual cycles. The legislation doesn't specifically mention periods or menstruation but McClain told a subcommittee hearing that it would include restrictions on conversations about girls' menstrual cycles.
Nobody cares what you have to say, you're a clown.

Reactions: TheMysteriousGX

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
I get chills and light-headedness when it gets low, in particular. Except for that one time where I don't really know because I'm missing a couple of hours during which I drove about 15 miles, plowed into a parking lot, tore the front end out of my car and where my memory starts being coherent again I'm in the back of an ambulance with a glucose IV already in, an EMT on one side squeezing a tube of glucose gel into my face and an EMT on the other side testing my glucose and it coming up 43. According to their notes it was too low to measure when they first got to me. Only been remotely that low once in 30 years of being a type I diabetic.
Well, yes. Diabetes (especially Type 1) is a pretty touch condition to live with, you have my sympathies. Why give yourself some similar symptoms from diet voluntarily? I cannot help but feel that such symptoms are probably an indication that the diet is maybe not the best idea.

More calories used than consumed over a protracted period of time is going to reduce to weight. That's the way it is, the only way it can be. How a person does that precisely - what diet, and the balance of diet and exercise - is I suspect much less important. I would suggest the main value of a particular diet is that the person dieting finds it sufficiently satisfying or motivating to keep to it, because sticking to diets can be relatively hard.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
I would suggest the main value of a particular diet is that the person dieting finds it sufficiently satisfying or motivating to keep to it, because sticking to diets can be relatively hard.
A friend of a friend is using Ozempic and apparently it really works, in much the same way that massively starving yourself generally will lead to weight loss. From the little I've read about it, most people who come off Ozempic (and the new NHS treatment is limited to 2 years) regain the weight because it doesn't instill better dietary choices, you just aren't hungry: nothing about your perception of or relationship with food has changed. Not that you're limited to the NHS treatment, you can just buy it on the internet and cause a shortage for people who really need it.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
A friend of a friend is using Ozempic and apparently it really works, in much the same way that massively starving yourself generally will lead to weight loss. From the little I've read about it, most people who come off Ozempic (and the new NHS treatment is limited to 2 years) regain the weight because it doesn't instill better dietary choices, you just aren't hungry: nothing about your perception of or relationship with food has changed. Not that you're limited to the NHS treatment, you can just buy it on the internet and cause a shortage for people who really need it.
Yeah, that sounds about right. Ozempic is semaglutide, which was originally a med for type II diabetes to boost the body's insulin production, but is also an appetite suppressant. It's not that common for T2 diabetes treatment though - to give some idea, the first line treatment is metformin, which is used by well over twenty times as many people. The other main diet drug I know of is orlistat, which reduces absorbtion of fats in the gut (and thus can cause very unpleasant, greasy stools).

I would suggest that where someone is prone to overeating, as an adjunct medication alongside psychological therapy to help establish regular and healthier eating routines, semaglutide might be quite useful. That would be a similar sort of principle to many substance addiction regimes (e.g. NRT, methadone / buprenorphine, acamprosate for alcohol, etc.) But without long-term behavioural change, they'll just pile the weight back on when they come off the drug.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
Well, yes. Diabetes (especially Type 1) is a pretty touch condition to live with, you have my sympathies. Why give yourself some similar symptoms from diet voluntarily? I cannot help but feel that such symptoms are probably an indication that the diet is maybe not the best idea.

More calories used than consumed over a protracted period of time is going to reduce to weight. That's the way it is, the only way it can be. How a person does that precisely - what diet, and the balance of diet and exercise - is I suspect much less important. I would suggest the main value of a particular diet is that the person dieting finds it sufficiently satisfying or motivating to keep to it, because sticking to diets can be relatively hard.
Developing better eating and activity habits foremost will lead to weightloss. No diet plan will work for everyone. You have tofind a way you want to eat for the rest of your life. Amd people respond differently to different diets. In one study it was found that skipping breakfast can actually lead to weight gain when calories are the same because it can lead to feeling sluggish in the morning which can reduce non exercise activity meaning sometimes that reduction in expenditure is greater than the reduction in intake.

The reason I say focus on protein is that it is
More satiating
Has a higher thermic effect
Combined with resistance training can reduce lean tissue loss during weightloss.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
This guy's got 43 glucoses! Put another glucose in him, stat!
That is literally how you treat it, yes. Or another sugar that can be readily transformed into glucose. I mean I left off the unit (mg/dL) if you prefer mmol/L 43 would be something closer to maple syrup?

Did no one tell him breakfast is the most least bad important meal of the day?!
Most days I eat two meals a day (typically one ~9AM and the other ~6PM, both often a bit later on weekends), with the occasional snack if my blood sugar starts to drop (since the accident I wear a CGM, my wife insists). What really throws me is a very high protein/fat meal that's relatively low carb (say Brazilian steakhouse), as they tend to have little blood sugar impact up front and then a rise several hours later that levels off higher than it should be and then refuses to budge for a while. I also have what they call "dawn phenomenon", where I wake up and my blood sugar starts spontaneously climbing, but not every day.

Reactions: Baffle

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
My high-protein diet means the pathetic dog will never win this fart competition, I just have too much power.
I used to be vegetarian. The fact that my girlfriend at the time lived with me when I was consuming 160g of protein a day mostly of eggs and dairy is either proof that she did love me or it was the beginning of the end.

Reactions: Baffle

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Florida just passed a Constitutional Carry law

Somehow, the *first* person to open fire isn't getting charged because of Stand Your Ground laws. Bizarre

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Florida just passed a Constitutional Carry law

Somehow, the *first* person to open fire isn't getting charged because of Stand Your Ground laws. Bizarre
Wouldn't have happened if they had more guns.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler