If DeSantis wins

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Sounds like you want to avoid situations like that, and think maybe it's a good idea to not normalize behavior for a child that could embarrass them if they imitate it.
This isn't the gotcha that you think it is. Dressing in drag is not morally equivalent to bestiality. Stop making shit up.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Sounds like you want to avoid situations like that, and think maybe it's a good idea to not normalize behavior for a child that could embarrass them if they imitate it.
So, ignoring that "toddler acts inappropriately" makes up a large portion of America's Funniest Home Videos without anybody being traumatized, the idea that a six year old is going to watch a couple wolves at the zoo go at it and then try to go rape Lassie is so fundamentally insane that I have to ask if it's based on a true story

And that's before we even get to the thought that a little boy or girl is going to dress in a shiny dress at some point and be so traumatically embarrassed that we have to make drag story time a crime

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Anytime the argument is "everybody knows that", everybody is probably wrong.
That wasn't the argument itself. It's just quite telling that the only people complaining about it are ones with zero direct experience or familiarity. That indicates that the complaints are coming from a kneejerk misunderstanding (or refusal to understand) rather than comprehension of what they're looking at.

Pantomime involves crossdressing, I suppose you can call that drag if you'd like, but that's still very different than a drag queen. Drag queens and drag shows are a specific aesthetic, not just any man in women's clothing.
Panto is not merely crossdressing. The dame getups are very obviously designed to be over the top, hyper-exaggerated and colourful. It is very much drag.

In truth, I think that while you pretend to be fine with transgressive expressions of gender, and how people shouldn't be limited to behaviours typically associated with their biological sex, in actual fact when you do see (or hear about) transgressive self expression, it makes you uncomfortable so your kneejerk response it to reduce it to sex and condemn it.

You're only fine with non-typical gender expression in theory.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheMysteriousGX

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Just think of those 18 year old children!

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008

Well remember, to the right, 18 year olds are adults to own guns, too old to marry, and little children in all other areas (mostly voting).

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

Overal childen are quite resilient and far more aware and able to dealing with things than parents give them credit for. But this is not for the children's benefit, but for a minority of very vocal busybody parents who are unwilling, incapable, or both, of handling such topics, and thus ironically put inordinate amounts of time and effort into ensuring they don't have to, whether directly or indirectly. And who are coincidently also avid voters for policians such as Desantis.
7iordp.jpg

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
That's not what I said. Do you not think a child imitating a drag queen could embarrass themselves thoroughly enough?
Embarrass?

You keep using this word. I do not think it means what you think it means

I would also suggest you not look up the concept of a dance studio. A lot can be classed as drag. I would not want eyebrows flying off from suprise.

I will say, if you're crusade against clothes takes out one dancing outfit from the dance concert I see every year, I would be grateful. It has the worst colours mixture of colours and and is a short on one half and long legged on the other. The sleeves are the same, one long and one short. It hurts my eyes

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
So, ignoring that "toddler acts inappropriately" makes up a large portion of America's Funniest Home Videos without anybody being traumatized, the idea that a six year old is going to watch a couple wolves at the zoo go at it and then try to go rape Lassie is so fundamentally insane that I have to ask if it's based on a true story
No, it isn't based on a true story.
And that's before we even get to the thought that a little boy or girl is going to dress in a shiny dress at some point and be so traumatically embarrassed that we have to make drag story time a crime
You're getting into "everything that is not banned is mandatory" territory. Someone criticizes a thing, questions why it exists, maybe suggests it shouldn't be sponsored or promoted by public schools or public libraries, and your first thought is "why are you trying to make this a crime?".

Lots of bad things aren't crimes.
In truth, I think that while you pretend to be fine with transgressive expressions of gender, and how people shouldn't be limited to behaviours typically associated with their biological sex, in actual fact when you do see (or hear about) transgressive self expression, it makes you uncomfortable so your kneejerk response it to reduce it to sex and condemn it.
I haven't condemned drag. I've suggested that drag queens are a sexualized performance inappropriate for children. It's perfectly reasonable for people to express themselves in ways outside of those behaviors associated with their sex, but one is not able to make that informed decision without awareness of what is typical, and what message is being received on the other end of that expression. Children don't have that understanding.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I haven't condemned drag. I've suggested that drag queens are a sexualized performance inappropriate for children. It's perfectly reasonable for people to express themselves in ways outside of those behaviors associated with their sex, but one is not able to make that informed decision without awareness of what is typical, and what message is being received on the other end of that expression. Children don't have that understanding.
Ah-- so you do ascribe different standards for behaviours stereotypically associated with one's sex, and behaviours that aren't.

So, when you said people should be able to act and dress in however they want regardless of sex, that men can act in "female"-associated ways and vice versa, that was all hollow. When you said people shouldn't be taught to associate certain behaviours with the physical sexes, that was all hollow. Because in fact, if something isn't gender-"typical", it should be hidden from the poor kiddywinks who can't comprehend it.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
When you said people shouldn't be taught to associate certain behaviours with the physical sexes, that was all hollow. Because in fact, if something isn't gender-"typical", it should be hidden from the poor kiddywinks who can't comprehend it.
I don't know I ever said people shouldn't be taught to associate behaviors with sex. If I did, it was poorly phrased, as that's not the issue. People shouldn't be taught they are obligated by their sex to participate in stereotypes, that is my position. But those stereotypes exist, and knowing them is part of participation in society. People should be taught the truth. Non-typical things don't need to be hidden, but teaching children that sort of thing is normal and fun is indoctrinating them with lies.

"You don't have to play with dolls because you're a girl" is correct.
"Playing with dolls isn't a behavior to associate with girls" is a lie.
"Drag queens are just people in silly costumes and not at all drawing from sexual imagery" is a lie.

And if you're willing to admit that drag queens are sexualized performers, you have to answer to why you're putting them in front of children.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
You're getting into "everything that is not banned is mandatory" territory. Someone criticizes a thing, questions why it exists, maybe suggests it shouldn't be sponsored or promoted by public schools or public libraries, and your first thought is "why are you trying to make this a crime?".
Because y'all are trying to make it a crime, dipshit

Reactions: crimson5pheonix